Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 9th December 2009, 20:48   #261  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

What happens if you run x264 from the console with the exactly same command-line and the exactly same avisynth script?
Old 11th December 2009, 17:43   #262  |  Link
kool

Thanks for this thread, I have few questions...

I moved to win 7 64bit for the first time, and i need help to get x264 work with Win 7 64bit. I usually use meGUI and some time RipBot. I still don't know if there is an other way to use x264 64bit work with 64bit OS.

guide me please if I need to use any other softs or avisynth 64bit.

Thanks in advance.
kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 17:50   #263  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You can use x264 on 64-Bit Windows just fine. Both, 32-Bit builds and 64-Bit builds of x264, will work perfectly fine. However the 64-Bit builds should give a nice speed boost!

But if you want to use 64-Bit x264, the you need 64-Bit Avisynth. Then all your Avisynth plugins must be 64-Bit too! And, if you use DirectShowSource() or AVISource(), all Codecs must be 64-Bit as well!

With my tool you can avoid this. It uses 64-Bit x264, but pipes the data in from a separate 32-Bit process. Hence you can continue using 32-Bit Avisynth/Plugins/Codecs, as you are used to...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th December 2009 at 17:57.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 17:58   #264  |  Link
kool

now I'm geting confuse, which way is recommended and stable to use avisynth 64bit or 32bit under 64bit OS?

if 64bit avisynth is stable under 64bit OS, could you please point me to link, to get avisynth 64bit and 64bit filters.

Thanks.
Old 11th December 2009, 18:04   #265  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool View Post
now I'm geting confuse, which way is recommended and stable to use avisynth 64bit or 32bit under 64bit OS?

if 64bit avisynth is stable under 64bit OS, could you please point me to link, to get avisynth 64bit and 64bit filters.

Thanks.
There are no "official" builds of 64-Bit Avisynth, but you can find squid_80's builds here:
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/squid_80/

Also you will find some 64-Bit plugins there. However you won't be able to use any 32-Bit Plugins with 64-Bit Avisynth, which is a limitation!

And as said before, you need 64-Bit Codecs, as 32-Bit Codecs won't work...

(BTW: Updated x264 to r1373. Using Komisar's builds)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th December 2009 at 18:06.
Old 11th December 2009, 18:44   #266  |  Link
deets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
What happens if you run x264 from the console with the exactly same command-line and the exactly same avisynth script?
yeah same thing, weird. wonder why
deets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 19:11   #267  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deets View Post
yeah same thing
Then it has absolutely nothing to with my GUI and this is the wrong place to complain...
Old 11th December 2009, 19:14   #268  |  Link
deets

Quote:
Then it has absolutely nothing to with my GUI and this is the wrong place to complain...
i wasn't complaining, just making a comment. and until we did the test, we didn't know if it was or not

maybe with your advanced knowledge you could have shed some light as to what options changed between presets to warrant a crash.

but i didnt expect you to devote any time to answering.
deets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 20:28   #269  |  Link
kool

Thanks alot LoRd_MuldeR for your help, Could you help me out, how to install Avisynth 64BiT, as there is no installer.
* Could you guide me, how to use your tool?
* can we use 32-Bit Plugins and 32bit avisynth under 64bit os? "at lose of some speed" just want to make sure.
Old 11th December 2009, 21:05   #270  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Thanks alot LoRd_MuldeR for your help, Could you help me out, how to install Avisynth 64BiT, as there is no installer.
Unzip.

Quote:
* Could you guide me, how to use your tool?
Install 32-Bit Avisynth with the official installer - and then use the tool.

Quote:
* can we use 32-Bit Plugins and 32bit avisynth under 64bit os? "at lose of some speed" just want to make sure.
Yes, of course! And there generally is no loss in speed! What I said is: 64-Bit x264 has some speed-up compared to 32-Bit x264.

It's not related to what Avisynth you use. However, as I said before, 64-Bit x264 requires 64-Bit Avisynth.

Or you use my tool (or a similar one), which allows you to use 64-Bit x264 with 32-Bit Avisynth by piping the data into x264 from a 32-Bit process.

That said, in theory, Avisynth plugins could gain some speed-up from 64-Bit too. But it depends on the individual plugin!

(Keep in mind that many Avisynth plugins don't even have a 64-Bit build available. So if you use 64-Bit Avisynth, the usable plugins are limited)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th December 2009 at 21:13.
Old 11th December 2009, 21:12   #271  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deets View Post
i wasn't complaining, just making a comment. and until we did the test, we didn't know if it was or not
But now we know that's your problem isn't related to my GUI and therefore it has become clear that you are discussing your problem at the wrong place...
Old 11th December 2009, 21:34   #272  |  Link
kool

Quote:
(Keep in mind that many Avisynth plugins don't even have a 64-Bit build available. So if you use 64-Bit Avisynth, the usable plugins are limited)
OK... in theory I can use avisynth 32bit and it's plugins under 64bit OS with out any problem? but can't use 32bit avisynth and it's plugins under 64bit avisynth, as you mentioned there are few plugins for 64bit avisynth, and the usable plugins are limited for 64bit avisynth? "if yes" than I happyly move to 64bit.

Your suggestion i ask, I have total of 4GB Ram with 32bit OS, I can use about 3.25 GB, so when I move to 64bit OS I will get total of 4 GB Ram, and here...will the extra 0.35 GB make any speed differences when I move to 64 bit OS?

Thank you once again
Old 11th December 2009, 22:20   #273  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
OK... in theory I can use avisynth 32bit and it's plugins under 64bit OS with out any problem?
Yes, you can. There is absolutely no problem.

Quote:
but can't use 32bit avisynth and it's plugins under 64bit avisynth, as you mentioned there are few plugins for 64bit avisynth, and the usable plugins are limited for 64bit avisynth? "if yes" than I happyly move to 64bit.
32-Bit Avisynth can only use 32-Bit plugins, it cannot use 64-Bit plugins. 64-Bit Avisynth can only use 64-Bit plugins, it cannot use 32-Bit plugins.

Various plugins are already available as 64-Bit version (see squid80's site), but many are not...

Quote:
Your suggestion i ask, I have total of 4GB Ram with 32bit OS, I can use about 3.25 GB, so when I move to 64bit OS I will get total of 4 GB Ram, and here...will the extra 0.35 GB make any speed differences when I move to 64 bit OS?
Probably there won't be much speed-up regarding the additional RAM. But you will run in "out of RAM" problems less frequently.

Be aware that 32-Bit applications are still limited to 2 GB of memory per process, even when running on a 64-Bit OS. That's often a problem with memory-intensive Avisynth scripts!

Only if you use 64-Bit applications (which of course requires a 64-Bit OS) the per-process 2 GB memory limit is gone!

With my tool Avisynth is still 32-Bit and still has the 2 GB limit. But as Avisynth and x264 are running in separate processes with my tool, the memory issue is eased a bit, at least

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 11th December 2009 at 22:22.
Old 16th December 2009, 06:09   #274  |  Link
djesteban

Hi,

I have a odd problem here
I am trying to encode this 1920x1080 h264 stream, but it won't encode if I add any option to my avs script.
For example, if my avs script looks like this:
Code:
LoadPlugin("<path>\DGDecodeNV.dll")
DGSource("D:\Hatsukoi\video.dga")
#deinterlace
#crop
#resize
#denoise
The encode starts and seems to continue without any issue (I aborted before the end since it's a fairly long movie)

...but if I change my script with a crop like the following:
Code:
#deinterlace
crop( 0, 22, 0, -22)

#resize
#denoise
...then the launcher displays Creating encoder processes, please wait... forever and never starts the encode.

What am I doing wrong here?!?! When I test this AVS in MeGUI, it does start and encode. Please help!

Here's my .dga info log:
Code:
Stream Type: Elementary
Video Type: AVC
Profile: High
Level: 4.1
Coded Size: 1920x1088
SAR: 1:1
Display Size: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 23.976024 fps
Colorimetry: BT.709 [1]
Frame Structure: Frame
Frame Type: I
Coded Number: 164219
Playback Number: 164219
Frame Repeats: 0
Field Repeats: 0
Bitrate: 0.888
Bitrate (Avg): 34.297
Bitrate (Max): 40.085
Elapsed: 0:09:54
Remain: 0:00:00
FPS: 
Info: Finished!
Thanks in advance
djesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 14:02   #275  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Is that problem specific to DGSource? Then please report it in the proper thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=147945

If that problem is specific to x264 itself, which means DGSource works perfectly fine in any other application, you will have to discuss that with the x264 developers.

The only case where I might be able to do something are problems that are specific to my GUI, which means x264 works 100% fine from console but doesn't inside my GUI.

BTW: When cropping, try to avoid Non-Mod16 resolutions. That means: If your source is Mod16, only crop multiples of 16 in each dimension.
Old 16th December 2009, 17:26   #276  |  Link
kool

is this tool belongs to "C:\Program Files (86)?
Old 16th December 2009, 17:28   #277  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
is this tool belongs to "C:\Program Files (86)?
You can put it to whatever place you like

However Microsoft's "C:\Program Files (86)" -vs- "C:\Program Files" folder concept doesn't fit here, as this software package incorporates 32-bit and 64-Bit binaries

But technically there is absolutely no reason to use the one or the other. Choose whatever you personally like more

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 16th December 2009 at 17:44.
Old 16th December 2009, 21:47   #278  |  Link
rack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesteban View Post
Hi,

I have a odd problem here
I am trying to encode this 1920x1080 h264 stream, but it won't encode if I add any option to my avs script.
For example, if my avs script looks like this:
Code:
#deinterlace
#crop
#resize
#denoise
The encode starts and seems to continue without any issue (I aborted before the end since it's a fairly long movie)

...but if I change my script with a crop like the following:
Code:
#deinterlace
crop( 0, 22, 0, -22)

#resize
#denoise
...then the launcher displays Creating encoder processes, please wait... forever and never starts the encode.

What am I doing wrong here?!?! When I test this AVS in MeGUI, it does start and encode. Please help!

Here's my .dga info log:
Code:
Stream Type: Elementary
Video Type: AVC
Profile: High
Level: 4.1
Coded Size: 1920x1088
SAR: 1:1
Display Size: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 23.976024 fps
Colorimetry: BT.709 [1]
Frame Structure: Frame
Frame Type: I
Coded Number: 164219
Playback Number: 164219
Frame Repeats: 0
Field Repeats: 0
Bitrate: 0.888
Bitrate (Avg): 34.297
Bitrate (Max): 40.085
Elapsed: 0:09:54
Remain: 0:00:00
FPS: 
Info: Finished!
Thanks in advance
Since you have DGDecNV tools you could use the DGIndexNV cropping feature and see if that solves anything.
rack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 22:00   #279  |  Link
djesteban

Quote:
Is that problem specific to DGSource? Then please report it in the proper thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=147945

If that problem is specific to x264 itself, which means DGSource works perfectly fine in any other application, you will have to discuss that with the x264 developers.

The only case where I might be able to do something are problems that are specific to my GUI, which means x264 works 100% fine from console but doesn't inside my GUI.

BTW: When cropping, try to avoid Non-Mod16 resolutions. That means: If your source is Mod16, only crop multiples of 16 in each dimension.
Ok so I tested the following from the cli...
Code:
x264.exe --preset slower --tune film --pass 1 --bitrate 12000 --stats "encode.stats" --output NUL "D:\Hatsukoi\video.avs"
(here's the avs script; notice that I have change the crop size to make sure it is mod16):
Code:
#deinterlace
crop( 0, 20, 0, -20)

#resize
#denoise
...and it works like a charm, encode starts (thanks to your help in another thread )

But now, when I try your tool, I input the same avs in launcher.exe, specify my output path with .264 extension and:
mode: 2-pass
target bitrate: 12000
preset: slower
tuning: film
profile: high
no advanced/custom options specified
...then I start the job, and it still stays at the Creating encoder processes, please wait... message forever and never actually starts the encode.

Now, the only way I am able to make it start, is by completely stripping my avs in the following way (notice there's no crop anymore):
Code:
#deinterlace

#resize
#denoise
That will start the job and encode.
So mod16 or not, as soon as i add a crop, it just sleeps there without doing anything.
Old 16th December 2009, 22:08   #280  |  Link
djesteban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Since you have DGDecNV tools you could use the DGIndexNV cropping feature and see if that solves anything.
Hmmm... that could be the issue, who knows... I'll try it... but still it doesn't explain why it works from the cli and not from this tool (with the same avs)

Let me try that and I'll tell you what happens

*EDIT*
By cropping through DGIndexNV the encode indeed starts! Though my avs script is still the stripped one because the crop info are stored in the .dga file now.
Still, the question remains as why it works through cli and not in this tool when cropping through the .avs script

Last edited by djesteban; 16th December 2009 at 22:36.