Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 19th January 2006, 21:24   #21  |  Link
lexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
Go to the tools menu - muxer - mkv muxer. This is your access ot the mkv muxer. And the next time you're encoding, make use of the autoencoding mode.. then when you're in the window where you define the name of your final file, you can check a checkbox at the bottom.. then when you press queue, the muxer window comes up again, with certain things already filled in.. then you can select your AC3 file.. that way it will only be muxed.
soooo... what you think you just explained to me, is that I can't just select ac3 file in main window and check a magical checkbox right next to it that would just make it not re-encode? or better yet ask me for delay and be done with it. (i.e. I hit Queue now)

buggers

Last edited by lexor; 19th January 2006 at 21:29.
lexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2006, 21:40   #22  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexor
soooo... what you think you just explained to me, is that I can't just select ac3 file in main window and check a magical checkbox right next to it that would just make it not re-encode? or better yet ask me for delay and be done with it. (i.e. I hit Queue now)
On the bright side, this also lets you select subtitles and chapter lists to be muxed in when you kick off the job.
Morte66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2006, 22:13   #23  |  Link
Dayvon
I'm Dayvon, an MP4 addict

I just finished another auto-encode job and this one is terribly of sync. Something like 5 sec.

I'm not sure what the deal is cause it shouldn't be having this much issue I don't think. Would I be better off trying to do mkv files? I'd really like to do mp4, but if my h264 files keep being made soooo out of sync with the audio, I just don't know. Can anyone think what I'm doing wrong?
Dayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 10:15   #24  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
soooo... what you think you just explained to me, is that I can't just select ac3 file in main window and check a magical checkbox right next to it that would just make it not re-encode?
that's right.. it would add a great deal of redundancy since this feature (plus subs / chapters / splitting) since this is what auoto mode is all about. manual mode is just encoding one file.

Quote:
Can anyone think what I'm doing wrong?
not compensating for delay? playback problems? mux the encoded content to another container.. if it's still asynch it's your sources.. if not, it's the way you mux or your playback mechanism
Old 20th January 2006, 14:16   #25  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte66
Now I can compare Nero to FAAC to iTunes to AutoUV's Ogg encoder.
Some completely unscientific, subjective and personal feelings on the results of re-encoding AC3 192...

- HE-AAC 96 sucks, but it's half the size. You pays your bitrate and you takes your choice. I think this encoder has no place in backup to DVD-R if you care enough about sound to read this post. But it might be a godsend at 64-96kbps if you want to encode a movie to CD size.

- FAAC VBR 100% dropped the size by about a third and sounded pretty close to the original. Workflow was painless. If you want to drop six channels of AC3/DTS to two, or to encode LPCM, this is straightforward with good results. It's better value in "quality per kbps" terms than stereo AC3, but I think I'd just remux the source -- it's a luxury, but no biggie on DVD-R.

- iTunes AAC is better than FAAC, but only a little. If you care about a difference this small, you probably ought to keep the original audio. Workflow is inevitably clunkier with MeGUI since you have to go outside.

- Current Ogg builds (not the obsolete official Vorbis encoder) are about level with AAC for quality@bitrate, but give you the organic tone of Ogg instead of the "gleaming" AAC sound. Each to his own. Again, a bit clunky with MeGUI.

Last edited by Morte66; 20th January 2006 at 14:35.
Old 20th January 2006, 15:44   #26  |  Link
SBaT

Is it normal to have 222 596k memory usage for megui and 110 904k for x264.
x264 memory usage can I understand but megui memory usage sounds quite large Second pass is going at 9,5%.
SBaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 15:58   #27  |  Link
Dayvon
I'm Dayvon, an MP4 addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
not compensating for delay? playback problems? mux the encoded content to another container.. if it's still asynch it's your sources.. if not, it's the way you mux or your playback mechanism
1. The delay compensation needed is detected and set by DGIndex. So I would think that the delay would be listed. The file I rendered had -16ms delay according to the ac3 file name, which was compensated for.

2. I'm sure its not a playback async. I've got other files that are similarly encoded that aren't having this problem and I have been able to use MPC to set the delay factor and find how "off" the audio is.

3. It could be the source DVD... Proof Of Life had a interesting intro piece that I think could have fouled up the encode. Some of the intro (namely the rated R screen) I think was in VOB1_8 and then inserted at the beginning which might have thrown DGIndex, But I know that that was not the case with 'The Island' rip which also had this same problem.

4. The way I muxed was auto-encode on MeGUI .

Well, I'm gonna do another rip, not auto-encode mode but manual, and see if that comes out any better.

@Morte -
I'm pretty anal about audio too (i.e. I HATE 128kbps MP3's). I can hear the artifacing really well. So far, I've been very happy using NAAC 5.1 LC AAC at the streaming setting. It doesn't ruin the vocal quality, yet is a bit smaller than the AC3 file itself. If your are using mkv, you might as well just keep the AC3, but if you are going MP4 and want surround, this is the setting I recommend.

Last edited by Dayvon; 20th January 2006 at 16:05.
Dayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 16:10   #28  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBaT
Is it normal to have 222 596k memory usage for megui and 110 904k for x264.
x264 memory usage can I understand but megui memory usage sounds quite large Second pass is going at 9,5%.
I've got megui using 23072k doing nothing. Your x264 sounds about right.
Old 20th January 2006, 16:37   #29  |  Link
SBaT

Second pass status shows now 21% and megui.exe shows now 3156k ??
Taskmanagers PF Usage shows steady 1,03GB usage. Well I guess its just XP loosing memory to something that dosent show up in processes.
SBaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 17:01   #30  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Well, .NET manages memory an its own, but eating up 200MB.. that's 60MB more than my whole Visual Studio 2005 needs when I'm debugging the application I'm currently working on.
Old 20th January 2006, 18:13   #31  |  Link
digidragon

When downloading a new build of MeGUI, should we be getting the latest version of x264.exe too? Or is backwards-compatibilty maintained..?
digidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 19:03   #32  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

There's no guarantee that all checkboxes in the MeGUI x264 config page will be supported by old versions of x264. If you're using the same profile as before the upgrade, you should be fine.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 19:59   #33  |  Link
digidragon

So to be sure, should we get the latest bulid of x264? Or how do we know which version the MeGUI developers are developing with?
digidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2006, 20:04   #34  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Or how do we know which version the MeGUI developers are developing with?
Well.. x264 is a small part of MeGUI.. Sharktooth mentions when he bundles a new MeGUI build and what new features it supports. If the x264 changelog of version X mentions a new commandline switch, it simply won't be accessible until a new megui build that includes that switch in the changelog is being made. You can be sure that the megui version that comes bundled with the popular x264 distributions will work together just fine. Personally, I often use older x264 builds (I don't encode except for development purposes and codec comparison).

Unless you're using a build supporting Sharktooth's patches with a CVS build (b0bor), you'll never run into problems. Not sure if that answers your question though. We can't say verision X of megui is compatible with version Y of x264.. megui is compatible with every x264 build.. it's the number of supported options that varies.
Old 21st January 2006, 06:48   #35  |  Link
DigitalDivide

I see that the latest versions of MeGUI require .net2. Unfortunately I am running Meedio and .net 2 has some issues with Meedio so I have to stick with .net 1.1. Just wondering what is the last version of MeGUI that works under 1.1 and where can I get it? I am currently using version 2.3.1024.
Old 21st January 2006, 12:36   #36  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I am running Meedio and .net 2 has some issues with Meedio so I have to stick with .net 1.1.
And meedio would be what? a .net 1.1 app? Just install the 2.0 framework and leave the 1.1 on your machine. Applications will pick the proper framework all by themselves.. you will have zero problems (trust me.. I do it at work and I have written and have to maintain 1.1 apps along with 2.0 apps).
Old 21st January 2006, 14:40   #37  |  Link
The Link

Is it intentional that when selecting MP3 as audio codec you can only configure one audio stream? (With Nero AAC you can configure 2)

The Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2006, 14:57   #38  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Is it intentional that when selecting MP3 as audio codec you can only configure one audio stream?
Yup.. comes from AVI not supporting more than one audio stream (well.. it does, but my muxer can't handle it).
Old 21st January 2006, 15:13   #39  |  Link
The Link

OK, I understand this problem for the main GUI. But in the AutoEncode dialog this limitation doesn't exist imho because you select the container in which all the encoding results will be muxed into. It's just sad that it doesn't accept virtual inputs, i.e. if there are mp3 encoding jobs already in the queue you can select the outputs to be expected. But I also see users b0rk things because of changing the order of the jobs etc... Seems I have to live with that limitation.

There also seems to be a bug: When MP3 is selected there is only one stream configurable (which is intended), then change to FAAC and there is still only one stream configurable. If you first choose nero aac and then faac you can configure 2 streams for faac.

The Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2006, 15:25   #40  |  Link
Poutnik
Useless idea generator

Is MeGUI_X264 intended for Win98SE user too?
I can use vfw interface and encode by VirtualDub.
When I was curious I downloaded .NET 2.0 ( had previous 1.1 )
and launched MeGUI x264 ( latest Sharktooth rev 406, MeGUI 0.2.3.2033 ),
It worked well ( choosing avs files, config setting, video preview..).
But always crashed when pressing queue button in input tab.
On Sourceforge page for full MeGUI is not win98 mentioned as supported OS.
So I am unsure, if I had something on my PC, or just bad OS...

Crash screen snaphot is uploaded to http://rapidshare.de/files/11495986/...crash.jpg.html

Last edited by Poutnik; 21st January 2006 at 15:42. Reason: Crash info
Poutnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megui