Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 3rd June 2007, 06:24   #1401  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

Log

ffdshow_rev1220_20070531_clsid_sse_icl9.exe
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ffd...6&big_mirror=0

ffdshow_rev1222_20070601_xxl.exe
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ffd...5&big_mirror=0

Using ffdshow_rev1220_20070531_clsid_sse_icl9.exe, I took these screenshots, and the log I linked to.
It would only get tot he root menu, then die. It quit and all I had was a black screen, and the movie stopped playing.
I was resizing it to 1680, 950.

I then decided to make the resizing a multiple of 4. So I changed the resizing to 1680, 952.
It worked.
When I got to the root menu, it was still a black screen, but I moved the mouse around.
Each time the mouse moved over a icon on the rrot menu screen, it counted as a frame.
*****If I'm at the root menu, and I don't move the mouse over the icons, no frames move, so the screen stays black.*****
The good news, is that it counted 2 ahead from the moment I started the movie.

I then thought that it was a resizing issue, and that if I set the resizing to a multiple of 4, then the previous version of FFDshow would have similiar results.
Nope. ffdshow_rev1222_20070601_xxl.exe showed no frames ahead at all. Zero.

Hahaha.

So now, we need to figure out how to get it so that resizing doesn't need to be a multiple of four, and that the root menu isn't black.
But the frames ahead is working fine.

I used Gabest MPC, Nvidia video codec, FFDshow Audio codec, the plugins I linked to before.
VMR9 Renderless, and default output in MPC.
I tested various sizes inclding 1680, 952, this worked, and 720, 480, this worked too. 1680, 950 did not work, I couldn't get out of root menu to the movie.

This was the Avisynth code I used.
Code:
SetMemoryMax(1024)
FluxSmoothT(3)
ColorMatrix(Mode="Rec.601->Rec.709",scaling=2,threads=2)
MT("SeeSaw(NRlimit=0, NRlimit2=5, Sstr=2.40, Szp=1, Slimit=50, Sdamplo=16, Spower=1, sootheT=95, SdampHi=39)",3)
lanczosresize(1680, 952)

Last edited by Jeremy Duncan; 3rd June 2007 at 06:26.
Jeremy Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 06:45   #1402  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

See the picture with the lady sitting down, in my previous post.
See that ahead is 2...the Buffer checkbox is unchecked !

I noticed this, and decided to play a movie and switch checking and unchecking the Buffer box to see what the osd would do.
Regardless if the buffer box was checked or not, it stayed at two.
I then closed MPC, and opened the FFDshow video configuration and unchecked the Buffer box, then started the movie and watched the osd to see if the Ahead would be at two. It was !
Old 3rd June 2007, 09:34   #1403  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

@Leak
I have fixed the AR problem with Haali's renderer.
I have another issue related to AviSynth. This problem is not new.
Please try this.

First resize to 720x720. Keep original aspect ratio.
Next use AviSynth filter.

The AR is broken. The video renderer does not matter.

Another case,
With the sample I have sent you (ARchangeDuringPlayback.ts) and Haali's video renderer, first start playing only resize on, next check AviSynth during playback, it's more messy...

I hope you can fix this.
Old 3rd June 2007, 14:26   #1404  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post
Leak, I basically get the same OSD as
Jeremy Duncan (0 in the back/ahead fields and "requested none" with my SeeSaw script when I usually see back=0 / ahead=1) when I use ffdshow_rev1220_20070529_clsid.exe but everything is good when I use ffdshow_rev1220_20070531_clsid_sse_icl9.exe...
Okay, this is getting seriously weird now. Yes, I get the exact same result when using the non-ICL9 build as opposed to the ICL9 build, but the non-ICL9 one should in theory behave quite the same as my local MSVC/GCC development builds which never exhibited this behaviour...

I'll wait and see if this happens again when clsid releases his next build; it's only an OSD display bug after all since the AviSynth filter *is* applied - just add an "Info()" at the script's end and you'll see...

np: The Black Dog - Techno Playtime (Book Of Dogma)
Old 3rd June 2007, 14:41   #1405  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Duncan View Post
See the picture with the lady sitting down, in my previous post.
See that ahead is 2...the Buffer checkbox is unchecked!
It's only reporting that the script requested a frame that's two frames ahead vs. the current frame - it doesn't matter if buffering is on or off, it just shows the script's behaviour.

Anyway, yeah, static menus *will not work* if you don't use ffdshow's built in MPEG2 decoder set to "libmpeg2" to decode MPEG2 video. Period.

When playback hits a static menu, decoding just stops, but of course the menu image is then only buffered ahead and never requested. I've modified the libmpeg2 codec so it'll signal the end of an MPEG2 sequence so the AviSynth filter can return those 2 frames at the end, but this plain doesn't work with external decoders - there's nothing I can do about that, I'm afraid. If you want to watch DVDs and get working static menus, use ffdshow for decoding them.

@haruhiko: I'll look into it.

np: The Black Dog - Seers & Sages (Book Of Dogma)

Last edited by Leak; 3rd June 2007 at 14:53.
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 14:43   #1406  |  Link
clsid

Doing a full clean rebuild now. New build will be online asap.
Old 3rd June 2007, 15:26   #1407  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
@Leak
I have fixed the AR problem with Haali's renderer.
Thanks.
Quote:
Please try this.

First resize to 720x720. Keep original aspect ratio.
Next use AviSynth filter.

The AR is broken. The video renderer does not matter.
Ah, I see - the resize adds borders at the top and bottom that of course aren't in the image data (so AviSynth will still see an image with no borders), but are taken into account when I request the DAR of the image.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to get the DAR of the image without the borders. Still, the borders will be lost that way, but what should I do? AviSynth has no concept of "padding" the image on it's four sides (as much as it has no concept of "aspect ratio", that's why I added those 2 variables - but I really don't want to frankenstein yet another workaround like this into the filter), so I'd either have to add the borders to the image data (yuck) or simply drop them.

I'll probably just add a "ffdshow_SetDAR" script function to AviSynth that'll change the DAR if you want and leaves everything alone if it isn't used. But of course, it's best not to use the resize filter before the AviSynth filter; if you need to resize you can always do that at the beginning of the AviSynth script - that'll also save some RAM as it won't buffer the resized images; it's probably best to put the AviSynth filter as early as possible in your filter chain anyway.

np: The Black Dog - Tactile (Book Of Dogma)
Old 3rd June 2007, 16:22   #1408  |  Link
clsid

In the default order the AviSynth filter is below Resizing. So the order needs to be changed.
Old 3rd June 2007, 18:09   #1409  |  Link
multiblitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBeepMeep View Post
Good to read that Haali and the ffdshow team have progressed on this issue ! As long as the IVTC flags are given by the the splitter and the timestamps are properly set, there isn't any need to implement RFF (that is to repeat fields in the output). This flag is only useful to display progressive content on an interlaced display (by turning a 24fps progressive movie into a 30 fps interlaced movies). The only thing that may be required is to further adjust the timestamps if RFF is detected.
That sound promissing, so I understand that Haali's splitter needs to progress first before you guys can start to pick up the ball in ffdshow ?

Anyway, this would be absolutely fantastic. Many thanks to this community for bringing it together !
multiblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007, 18:40   #1410  |  Link
Leak

Okay, I added some extra checking code the the ffdshow_source filter that should complain about a "bogus input pointer" in DebugView if the missing OSD is caused by what I think is the culprit (namely the wrong ffdshow_source filter instance being used by AviSynth)...

I'm afraid I still can't reproduce this in my own builds so someone else has to make a new build to test this. The checking code also has the added bonus that the OSD *should* work despite it's complaining, but that's more a workaround than a solution to be honest...

np: The Black Dog - Chiba (Book Of Dogma)
Old 3rd June 2007, 21:04   #1411  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
use ffdshow's built in MPEG2 decoder set to "libmpeg2" to decode MPEG2 video.

ffdshow_rev1220_20070531_clsid_sse_icl9.exe works fine now. Thanks.
It's a lot sharper than the Nvidia codec was though.
Old 3rd June 2007, 21:29   #1412  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Duncan View Post
It's a lot sharper than the Nvidia codec was though.
And there I always thought people considered that a *good* thing...

np: Tied & Tickled Trie - A Rocket Debris Cloud Drifts (Aelita)
Old 4th June 2007, 10:24   #1413  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Thanks.

Ah, I see - the resize adds borders at the top and bottom that of course aren't in the image data (so AviSynth will still see an image with no borders), but are taken into account when I request the DAR of the image.

I'll see if I can figure out a way to get the DAR of the image without the borders. Still, the borders will be lost that way, but what should I do? AviSynth has no concept of "padding" the image on it's four sides (as much as it has no concept of "aspect ratio", that's why I added those 2 variables - but I really don't want to frankenstein yet another workaround like this into the filter), so I'd either have to add the borders to the image data (yuck) or simply drop them.
Please don't drop them. Users may want to adjust to full screen.
Quote:
But of course, it's best not to use the resize filter before the AviSynth filter; if you need to resize you can always do that at the beginning of the AviSynth script - that'll also save some RAM as it won't buffer the resized images; it's probably best to put the AviSynth filter as early as possible in your filter chain anyway.
True, but bug is a bug...
Not all users are experts, they may want to use ffdshow's resize rather than learning how to use AviSynth's resize.
Old 4th June 2007, 10:28   #1414  |  Link
Jeremy Duncan
Didée Fan

Can Clsid or xxl please make a FFDshow update that uses version 1239.

http://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourceforg...runk/?view=log
Old 4th June 2007, 10:41   #1415  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Please don't drop them. Users may want to adjust to full screen.
Well, what do you suggest then?

Simply leaving the borders as they are is not an option as soon as the script does resizing. And I really don't want to kludge another set of variables (ffdshow_borderLeft/Right/Top/Bottom) into there...

Of course, if someone really needs borders for some reason there's always the "AddBorders" filter that adds a real (as opposed to a virtual) border around the image.

Quote:
True, but bug is a bug...
Not all users are experts, they may want to use ffdshow's resize rather than learning how to use AviSynth's resize.
I would have just documented in the docs that any border on the image gets dropped and have left it at that, to be honest.

What good are those virtual borders anyway? They center the image, which is usually also done by the player application, and if you want to use that space to overlay something (like subs) at some point the virtual borders have to be turned into "real" borders (i.e. the kind that's made of black pixel data) anyway.

Last edited by Leak; 4th June 2007 at 10:45.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:10   #1416  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Well, what do you suggest then?

Simply leaving the borders as they are is not an option as soon as the script does resizing. And I really don't want to kludge another set of variables (ffdshow_borderLeft/Right/Top/Bottom) into there...

Of course, if someone really needs borders for some reason there's always the "AddBorders" filter that adds a real (as opposed to a virtual) border around the image.
Who use resize both in ffdshow and AviSynth? If AviSynth filter change dimensions, there's no choice but to drop the borders. But if AviSynth does not change it, then it's best to keep it.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:49   #1417  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Who use resize both in ffdshow and AviSynth? If AviSynth filter change dimensions, there's no choice but to drop the borders. But if AviSynth does not change it, then it's best to keep it.
Ummm... yes, that was what I meant, actually. I was only talking about the case when the image is resized - though I probably should have worded it differently...

So what needs to be changed is for the AviSynth filter to use the correct(ed) AR for the actual image, not the AR for the image+borders. That, and simply leaving the AR alone if it isn't changed.

It might take a bit until I come around to fix that, though, along with a script function to set a new AR (so I can find out whether the AR should actually be changed) and maybe a rewrite of the AviSynth interface so it doesn't keep pouring ffdshow_source functions into the AviSynth script environment.

(I only recently realized that adding a function to AviSynth simply adds it to a linked list, no matter if there already is a function of the same name; this might just be the cause of the OSD weirdness...)

Last edited by Leak; 4th June 2007 at 11:54.
Old 4th June 2007, 13:04   #1418  |  Link
clsid

Wouldn't changing the (default) order of the filters in ffdshow solve this issue? Doing AviSynth before Resizing instead of the other way around.
Old 4th June 2007, 13:12   #1419  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Wouldn't changing the (default) order of the filters in ffdshow solve this issue? Doing AviSynth before Resizing instead of the other way around.
Not exactly, since users are free to change the order and they'll probably expect things to work the other way around as well - and I do agree that it should, I just hadn't expected/experienced/noticed/etc. this case since I always use AviSynth right after "Subtitles" as the first filter...
Old 4th June 2007, 13:15   #1420  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Quote:
Parallelized h264 decoder:
Tested with:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/samp...s/AVC1/bb2.mp4
1 core:
User: 17s, kernel: 0s, total: 17s, real: 17s, fps: 202.5, dfps: 202.5

2 cores:
User: 0s, kernel: 0s, total: 0s, real: 17s, fps: 4365.5, dfps: 208.6

Doesn't work with this sample.

Last edited by _xxl; 7th June 2007 at 11:23.
_xxl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl