Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th October 2001, 00:36   #21  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

I did a link in the "*** readme now Q&A...***" sticky with a link to here and the Q&A. Thanks for the nice words, gldblade.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2001, 12:37   #22  |  Link
barbas

Gentelmen,

I do not know if this is a newbie comment but I'll risk posting it here.

I love pies (specially this one).
I do not mind to try new flavors but I do think that dvd2svcd is very tasty.

I think that this community can give more to this pie, not only in the form of donations or bug reports and testing, but also in the form of flour, apples, berries, baking temperature settings, ovens, etc.

Before you ban me from this forum let me ask a question...

Has dvd2svcd author considered to get "our" help with the code, bug fixing, enhancements, manuals, translations, etc?

Would he like some help?

Regards

Barbas
barbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2002, 03:41   #23  |  Link
eazye

Pie

I love this pie. I don't know how I survived without it. I am new to this ... only about 2 months, Everything, and I mean everything is on this board. When I started out, I had encode rates of 1.1. Now I have with the help of the board raised this to 1.5 (and I am sure I can squeeze a little more out of my system). And the quality ... improving. I have only made two posts - b4 this one. I really appreciate the efforts of all the moderators and the Pie-Maestro.
eazye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2002, 05:56   #24  |  Link
DDogg

I am going to restick this dated thread again as it seems to have become on topic again :-(
Old 21st March 2002, 19:52   #25  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

<sarcasm>
People should be taught how to use the search (or Sam Earch, as I call my trusty friend before they even are granted membership. Usually, but not every time, someone has asked the same or similar question and a good answer has been given. Most people just don't seem to want to do anything themselves - I myself actually enjoy going through some older messages as you'll often run into very interesting topics etc.
</sarcasm>
Old 22nd March 2002, 16:21   #26  |  Link
DDogg

Boulder, sad but true. Actually your point about finding all kind of good stuff when you use search is really on target.
Old 19th April 2002, 19:50   #27  |  Link
gam188

I am very new here but i must say if you can read at all you can find all the info you need here. A newbie forum might help sure but i thought that was what the what the dvd2svcd basic forum was for ?
anyways I love this pie lol, all flavors, thanx folks
Old 1st July 2002, 20:27   #28  |  Link
ajmoss

Re: open message about free pies :)

A closer analogy is that the ingrate helps himself to the pie, then starts complaining that he burnt his mouth because the filling is too hot, and now his fingers are all sticky.

A utility designed for ripping DVDs isn't necessarily ideal for transcoding a file captured with a TV capture card. That's the apple pie and cherry pie analogy.
ajmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2002, 04:37   #29  |  Link
RadicalEd

yah, everybody play nice please, I cringe at the thought of seeing more blood and strikes.
And while I'm plaguing this thread with my presence, D2S, you sure make a good piece o pie ^^
RadicalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2002, 18:36   #30  |  Link
someguy_1999

To D2S, DD, and all "Contributors" to this site.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!

As you may see this is my third post. The first was a question, the second apologising for posting because I found it elsewhere.

I've been using DVD2SVCD for several months now, and visiting the site, off and on, for some time prior to that. I was able to find the answers to all of my questions through patient and methodical searching of this site!

I may sound a bit nieve, but this is EXCITING!!!!! There is so much information here for those who wish to taste it! I find it difficult to fathom how anyone could take this for granted, or even abuse those that provide this without expectation of compensation. Heck, I just opened a checking account, in part, so that I may contribute. (I wasn't patient enough to figure out how to donate using a savings acct/cash...

I apologize in advance if this is repetitious, however it occurred to me that there may well be many others out there that don't post (because they don't have to ) who equilly appreciate the great service/product(s) being offered here.

If I may, I'd like to thank you on behalf of all of those users who don't "bug you", and encourage them to contribute "to the cause": One of the last bastions of fair use.

Thank you once again!
Someguy_1999
someguy_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2002, 05:07   #31  |  Link
jledhead

damn good readin' here.

I will never understand why people insist on bitching about free pies???? it puzzles the mind, I mean....its free. there is nothing better then free. but then when its something of good use, well made, FREE,...... why bitch?? if you don't like it, then don't use it.

I tell anyone interested in the subject to come here. the manual just sucks
jledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2002, 17:34   #32  |  Link
Phatty2x4

Damn good readin' going on here

1st I'd like to say - I don't care for pie. Could I get some cookies instead?

2nd I completely understand DDogg's plight (spell?). I help a buddy run a gaming site and run into the same issues. No matter what you do - free wise that is - some one is always unhappy and quick to point out faults/errors/problems. Yeah you get nubee questions - you get dumb questions - you get the dolts and dunderheads choking' up the board. Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. Just do as we do - for the nubee, if it's a reasonable question, answer gently and point them on their way. More than likely they will figure it out with a small jump start in the right direction. For dumb questions - point out that they are kinda being dumb and that they should do research to figure out their issues. For the dolts - strike them down with furious anger and righteous vengeance

3rd I have played around with a lot of different dvd2svcd dvd2vcd type programs - and while dvd2svcd can be intimidating (cause of all the shinny candy like check boxes!) to first time users and sometime aggravating to newer users (because we sometimes do dumbass thing like not look at what we are checking and waste a whole night of encoding incorrectly) - it is hands down the best thing going!

Keep up the good fight for this great program!!

www.thekillinggrounds.com
Phatty2x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2002, 14:24   #33  |  Link
titvs
Ingenium Diabolicus

Hi there ppl.

I'm a long time user of DVD2SVCD (since ver. 1.0.2) and i have to say it is by far, the best DVD backup utility. Before DVD2SVCD i used DVD2MPEG Squeezer (do you remeber it? a nice prog) and you know how VCD quality looks like When i first encoded a DVD with DVD2SVCD and played in my stand-alone DVD player i was completly blown away. I thanked the gods for finding such a prog.
And i must express my infinite gratitude to the DVD2SVCD author for him to put up with me and my subtitles "problems" He's been tireless solving all of them.
As you can see, i have little posts and many of them are answers to others questions. I never felt the need to even register because the prog worked just fine. I registered in July this year because i had an advanced issue i had to ask but then again i didnt need to because the answer was already in the forum.
You can't imagine the amount of information there is here. I learned more in this last months reading the forum than in those years that have past of self experiencing. I even have found a method of converting stereo sound to dolby digital 5.1 I have to try this out someday.
Everyone should spend some time reading the forum, FAQ, Q&A but you know, there are always those kind of persons who want things ready for yesterday and dont want to spend time or effort. We have to keep our calm and if you dont want to answer i'm sure someone will.

Well, to finish, i send all my thanks and gratitude to everyone in the forum, specially the senior ones , who have wasted so much time answering and helping. For you all, my deepest thanks.

Titvs
titvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 23:35   #34  |  Link
Winterwolf

I guess I am a newbie...and a quiet one at that.
I just like to read all the posts and tutorials, and I find that most of my query's are answered in them.....

But I am grateful as hell when this "Pie" came along, after trying to do all the steps with the individual components was killing me.
I am now starting to truly appreciate how much work and effort went into this....And it is even more oustanding that it is a free projuect with only donations to support him.

Keep it up my friend....
Winterwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2002, 09:49   #35  |  Link
ammck55

D2S:

You bake awesome pie.... I don't even know where to begin.

The first pie I brought home was in a box that I couldn't open. DDogg/Mozart showed me the way to Daemon. A few days later, I encountered another piece of pie that was locked up. Chainsaw>authentication was my savior here. Lightning U.K.>decryption got me another bite. Gerti's linear logic blows me away at times. jggimi gave me an example of how to create a clean, concise, logical post. mrbass, Mark, all the software creators in here. Heck, let me give many thanks to all the moderators and all the old hands, it would take me all day to thank everyone personally that I have gotten help from. ( I just wish I could have found all this good help in the same amount of time it has taken me to compose this, but...)

Two years ago I bought my mother a computer, six months ago I bought myself one so she could e-mail her "baby" everyday. I signed up for an Infosystems class in August at the local community college, and yesterday I finished building my first pc so that little pieces of D2S's pie could come out of it undisturbed. It bakes night and day. dvd2svcd is the neatest thing I've found since I discovered girls! And all I have to do, ultimately, is plug in a disc and watch the numbers run. It almost sound corny to tell of how much enjoyment and satisfaction I get out of using this powerful tool that you have created and nurtured. The first thing I do every day when I walk in the door is check on my rip and then log on to doom9.

I have decided to take a class in programming next semester to better understand how this kind of magic occurs, and my discovery of D2S has been a major factor in that decision. You possess a big heart, my man!

ammck55
ammck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2003, 03:19   #36  |  Link
sk2003

Maybe a little different perspective

Well, I'll certainly be willing to volunteer for the newest newbie award, if that helps to redistribute the load a bit. BRIEF BACKGROUND: I saw a bunch of DVD's on sale at Best Buy 2 weeks ago for $6. At that price how could I not buy some? So when I was in line I asked the pony-tailed check out guy: "BTW - is it a big deal to rip these DVD's to my hard drive"? (For the purpose of making personal back up copies only, of course.) He looked at me in a quick, nervous "speakeasy" kind of way (you know, that hushed, rushed: "Hey, ya gotta let me in; Joe sent me" kind of way, before the door opens, and a hand reaches out and grabs you quicker than you can say RIAA bot, and yanks you inside and slams the door back shut all in one seamless motion), and said: "Well, you didn't hear it from me, but try doing a Google for: capital D small e capital C capital S capital S. It's an outlawed program, but it might help you out. And remember...you didn't hear it from me." OK, Bob, clerk number 34671, at Best Buy store 11568. No problem. (I thanked him, and sped home to check out capital D small e capital C capital S capital S as fast as I could. I'm not making this up; that's actually exactly how he said it.)

What I found from the search was very confusing indeed - especially in retrospect - because from the looks of those initial sites everything seemed pretty bleak. (i.e. Don't come to THIS site expecting to find capital D small e capital C capital S capital S!!) Looking back, I certainly wish he had uttered: capital d capital v capital d numeral 2 capital s capital v capital c capital d instead. (Which brings me more or less to my main point; eventually; and I assure you, I do have one.) But alas, he didn't. So instead I read up on DVD copy protection and law suits and counter law suits and global zones (I finally understand now why W2K asked about my "zone" when I first installed my OS. At the time, I was like: "WTF is it YOUR business where the hell I live. Just load your bloatware and be done with it! Now I understand a whole lot more about zones and "summer movies" in this part of the globe and other parts of the globe and how/why it's possible for there to be copies of releases that haven't even been released (at least not in this country) and why some downloaded movies have barely discernible dialogue that jumps out of nowhere from time to time that's not a part of the movie itself as well as silhouettes that suddenly pop up in the front row like in that Seinfeld episode with Kramer, etc. "HEY...Down in front, ok. I'd like to see how Harry Potter gets out of this jam, OK?!!!" And generally, understanding is a good thing.)

So I think it is rather self-evident that I truly am a 'newbie's newbie' when it comes to DVD ripping. And as if that weren't bad enough, to compound matters, I'm also pretty much a classic "ugly American". (Not so much the reflection in the mirror type of ugly; more along the lines of the "impatient, want it all yesterday without really having to exert too much effort or shell out too much cash in the process" kind of ugly.) And taken together, that only served to magnify my surprise/chagrin/amazement/confusion when I discovered the plethora of programs and guides available at dvdrhelp, afterdawn, and, of course, Doom9. Heck...there were so many places to go and check out I ended up with a whole new favorites folder just to keep em all together in one place.

I was amazed that from those humble beginnings of only two weeks ago, (my Google for DeCSS), I'd downloaded over 20 programs/codecs/encoders/decoders/recoders/etc, and managed to burn my first working SVCDs (of my own legal copy of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" that I got at Best Buy for 6 bucks). Not only that, but I had to try so many different programs and make so many non-working CD-RW's, that I pretty much now know the whole movie by heart. Pretty amazing stuff considering that it involved a process that was described by the originator of this thread as a virtual art form as few as 8 short months ago.

And whipping all of this into laser-like focus here...

without a doubt, the two programs that I found to be the most helpful of all were....

(drum roll please...)

Ta-DAH!

1. dvd2svcd (obviously, or why the hell else would I be posting here?) and

2. EazyVCD.

Unfortunately, VCDEasy, which I think is often confused with EazyVCD hurt my head, no matter how many times I read the guides. That's not to imply it's not a top notch program; just that I couldn't get it to work for me.) But the first two, along with cladDVD, worked very well. Each obviously has its own following and its own plusses and minuses. And that, my friends, brings me to my most salient point of all.

SALIENT POINT: (not to be confused with copius notes)

After reading through this thread, I decided it was high time to head over to the donation counter at dvd2svcd and belly up some genuine thanks to its author. It's one thing to rush headlong like a bull in a china shop to grab the latest and greatest software wizardry; it's another to be a total ingrate and not give credit where credit is due. Extending the original metaphor of the starter of this thread, it's sort of like putting a little ice cream on top of the apple pie; if you will. And maybe that's truly the other side of the "ugly American"; the side that genuinely roots for the underdog; cheers for David vs. Goliath; openly supports the rebels; the freedom fighters; etc; the unsung cyberguys. And in that vein, I certainly encourage anyone and everyone who has benefited from/by dvd2svcd to follow suit.

Finally, thanks to the originator of this thread. It was fun making this second post of mine here at Doom9.

sk

Last edited by sk2003; 24th August 2003 at 05:17.
sk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote