Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 20th November 2020, 21:47   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

30pin to 40pin video connector?

Hi,
in January 2016 I bought an Asus N552VX, a fairly decent laptop back then, with an i7 6770HQ 4c/8th 2.60GHz, an NVIDIA 950M 4GB GDDR5, an Intel SSD mSata 1TB, two Samsung EVO Sata III SSD 1 TB + 1 TB and 32 GB of RAM DDR4. I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 64 GB DDR4 for Christmas (a Christmas present for me, yay), but there's a thing I never really liked and that's the FULL HD monitor.
You gotta know that this laptop is sold in two variants: it's very same laptop, all components are the same, BUT one has an UHD display and the other has a FULL HD display.
I bought the FULL HD one back then 'cause it was way cheaper and I thought "meh, I can replace the screen later on".
4 years passed and now I want to replace the screen with a UHD one, but I found out that there might be a problem.
Of course I asked ASUS first and they said "No! You have to buy the UHD laptop, you can't swap the screen" which seems a bit silly considering that it has the very same components as mine and also the very same case (it's the very same laptop!). I was going to order the new screen when I stumbled on this: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English...OK~PRO~N552VX/

Apparently, the FULL HD one has a 30 pin video connector:

while the UHD one has a 40 pin video connector:

So, the question is: is there a converter that converts a 30 pin video connector into a 40 pin video connector? And if there's, is it going to work or perhaps the 30 pin one cannot handle all the data necessary to display a UHD resolution at 60p?
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 16:04   #2  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The 40-pin connector is required for the higher bandwidth. It carries more eDP lanes (up to 4), the 30 pin only has 2 eDP lanes.
Old 21st November 2020, 18:13   #3  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The 40-pin connector is required for the higher bandwidth. It carries more eDP lanes (up to 4), the 30 pin only has 2 eDP lanes.
I see... So I guess it wouldn't work for 4K 60p... Dang it, they probably knew people were going to do this and prevented them from doing it thus making them spend 200 bucks more (which I'm not going to spend) for the very same hardware... :'(
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2020, 19:36   #4  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I doubt that was a concern. The number of people that would even consider attempting to upgrade the screen in a laptop is so miniscule. It was likely just a bit cheaper to use the simpler connector and not route 10 more pins.
Old 21st November 2020, 23:13   #5  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Indeed where laptops had panel options the motherboard connectors might be incompatible.
Here with one of the latest Clevo P570WM I am also stuck with a 120Hz 3D, but 6bit 72% NTSC panel.
Got a beefy 3D capable GPU, but no 3D shutter driver, upgraded that, still no 3D because of missing driver support in BIOS.
Later wanted to swap that 3D panel out with a 2D 90% NTSC, still 6 bit panel, but no cigar, incompatible connectors 3D 50p vs. 2D 40p at panel end.
If motherboard side 30p would acommodate the other panel: me too chicken now ;-)

Last edited by Emulgator; 21st November 2020 at 23:16.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote