Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 17th November 2017, 16:43   #47221  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
And you think thats unrelated to Microsoft?
In my case yes given I'm on win7 and not using nvidia win10 drivers. I also get to skip the microsoft win10 fall creators update mess. My problem btw is not HDR enabling or looking bad, but HDR not turning off once playback has ended.

Last edited by Razoola; 17th November 2017 at 16:46.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 17:21   #47222  |  Link
dvd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a 1050 ti is absolutely fine.
it can easily do 1080p23 -> with NGU high.
a 960 can do this easily so a 1050 ti can do this too. the 4 GB make it absolutely save.
obviously you can't use every feature with a 1050 ti but that counts for a 1080 ti too.
a 1060 is about 60 % faster and gives you more options but that's it.
RCA is just so slow that NGU high is kind of free in comparison.
so yeah that's not going to work with a 1080p source or high FPS source need some tweaking like NGU mid.
but it's the new feature on the block so every one things you have to use it or something i don't know...

to what extent the 150 TI can use DVD to 4K?
dvd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 17:52   #47223  |  Link
khanmein

Adjust the brightness of SDR content on your HDR display: Starting with Build 17040, Windows now lets you adjust how bright SDR content appears when running in HDR mode on the desktop. On an HDR capable system, you will see a slider in the “HDR and advanced color settings” page under Settings > System > Display. This is one of the improvements to HDR image quality that we have planned based on feedback from Insiders.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...uild-17040-pc/
khanmein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 18:03   #47224  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Thats mostly Windows fault, stick to 8.1 and everything works perfectly, even with brand new drivers.
Note: I don't currently own an HDR TV.

But still, nevcariel, what you write can't be considered a good long term strategy. The free upgrade policy to Win 10 represented a potential money saver for lots of people. To stay with Win 8.1 (which I used and was satisfied with) meant being forced in the future to spend $199 in the future. That's the money you spend for a decent GPU. You can't be too hard with people that did not want to stick with 8.1, in my opinion.

I agree that HDR, on HTPC and not just on HTPC, is early adopters territory, though.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 18:28   #47225  |  Link
cork_OS

Quick test with my GTX 1060 3GB (2560x1440@60Hz 8-bit display, decoder is NVIDIA CUVID, chroma upscaler is sxbr125, ordered dithering, smooth motion on, FSE off):
NTSC DVD quadrupling with NGU High > Bicubic150 AR: 10-11ms
NTSC DVD quadrupling with NGU High > Bicubic150 AR + RCA: 12-12.5ms
720p24 doubling with NGU High: 8-9ms
720p24 doubling with NGU High + RCA: 12-12.5ms
1080p24 doubling with NGU Medium > Bicubic150 AR: 12-12.5ms
4k@24p HDR downscaling with SSIM2D100 AR: 35-37ms (maybe limited by VRAM amount)
Old 17th November 2017, 18:30   #47226  |  Link
Fabulist

Hello people. Is there a consensus regarding the anti-bloating filters on image enhancements/sharpeners - for example does 100% anti-bloating mean 100% elimination of any possible bloating, 150% means it could over anti-bloat, and 50% is half the anti-bloating required? Is there a safe value?

Is that how it works or what is the logic behind it? I am asking this because I am noticing an inconsistency between sharpeners, especially with Sharpen edges, it seems the filter does not bloat at all at even at 4.0 on HD and above sources, thus activating anti-bloating simply kills quality without any apparent bloating repair.
Fabulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 19:29   #47227  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
But still, nevcariel, what you write can't be considered a good long term strategy. The free upgrade policy to Win 10 represented a potential money saver for lots of people. To stay with Win 8.1 (which I used and was satisfied with) meant being forced in the future to spend $199 in the future. That's the money you spend for a decent GPU. You can't be too hard with people that did not want to stick with 8.1, in my opinion.
Even though the free update offer "officially" ended, it is still technically possible to upgrade for free using the standard procedures. I would expect this state of affairs to go on pretty much forever - Microsoft cares more about people converging on the latest version than extracting scraps of money from late adopters. It is quite likely that they never intended for the free update to ever stop working and that the "deadline" was just a marketing trick to induce a sense of urgency in the userbase.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 20:54   #47228  |  Link
mark0077

Hi guys,

I just dug back up some old music DVDs I had and have been trying to play them but have been noticing menu navigation is causing mpc to crash, even just when doing previous / next chapter (currently testing with Queen Greatest Hits I DVD). When I switch to another video renderer like vmr9 its fine and I can't reproduce the crashes. I'm using mpc-hc BE, LAV Filters, ffdshow video + avisynth + svp. When I turn on madVR as the video renderer I'm getting the crashes where mpc will crash and windows will start reporting the issue to microsoft.

Just wondering is this something thats common / known about with madVR or is anyone still playing DVDS

In the filter chain, this is the DVD Renderer thats in action "Module : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\qdvd.dll"

Regards,
Mark
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 21:23   #47229  |  Link
sat4all

Hi guys,

well i ditched my haswell i5 intel nuc in favor of a zotac en1060k, so this is my first nvidia card for years. i've been werstling with 2160p@23.976 using madvr's custom modes and after couple of optimization i was able to achieve no frame drops/repeats expected but ctrl+j display showing 23.97556.
the strange thing here is that the optimization before the last one showed me 23.97590 which is more close but still expecting 1 repeated frame every 1.xx hours.
should i just stick with 23.97556 afs it claims no drops or repeats? and ignore the claimed ctrl+j display value?
with my nuc it was dead 23.976 with no drops/repeats without engaging any kind of custom resolutions.

cheers
Old 17th November 2017, 21:29   #47230  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd1 View Post
to what extent the 150 TI can use DVD to 4K?
i don't see a problem in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat4all View Post
Hi guys,

well i ditched my haswell i5 intel nuc in favor of a zotac en1060k, so this is my first nvidia card for years. i've been werstling with 2160p@23.976 using madvr's custom modes and after couple of optimization i was able to achieve no frame drops/repeats expected but ctrl+j display showing 23.97556.
the strange thing here is that the optimization before the last one showed me 23.97590 which is more close but still expecting 1 repeated frame every 1.xx hours.
should i just stick with 23.97556 afs it claims no drops or repeats? and ignore the claimed ctrl+j display value?
with my nuc it was dead 23.976 with no drops/repeats without engaging any kind of custom resolutions.

cheers
the only number that matter is the dropped repeated frame number. it doesn't matter if the refreshrate is far or closer to 24000/1001 it's pointless.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 21:32   #47231  |  Link
Epedemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
If you pass HDR through to the display, when playing 2160p on 2160 screen the GPU just needs to do chroma upscaling which should be fine.
I bet it's the 2 GB of VRAM causing issues. MediaPortal already uses a few 100s MB for its GUI, so when playing 2160p the VRAM usage should be pretty high.
Try lowering the queue sizes (start with the decode one).
Thanks! Makes sense, as the new task manager in win10 FCU shows GPU ram usage in the roof... I already had the GPU queue sizes set to minimum, but i'll try to fiddle a bit with the CPU sizes as well, and try to find the lightest possible skin for MP (if it makes a difference). Regarding Chroma Upscaling, i left that at the default (Cubic), is that hte least taxing setting or does it make sense to switch to bilinear (or something 3rd)?
Epedemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 21:35   #47232  |  Link
Epedemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmein View Post
Adjust the brightness of SDR content on your HDR display: Starting with Build 17040, Windows now lets you adjust how bright SDR content appears when running in HDR mode on the desktop. On an HDR capable system, you will see a slider in the “HDR and advanced color settings” page under Settings > System > Display. This is one of the improvements to HDR image quality that we have planned based on feedback from Insiders.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...uild-17040-pc/
Interesting. I'm running preview builds on my laptop, but it seems a bit risky to run them on my HTPC, which is supposed to "just work", as the preview builds (obviously) are a bit hit and miss... But great to know they are evolving the HDR capabilities
Epedemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2017, 21:51   #47233  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Once you have upgraded to Window 10 on a computer, the license will ALWAYS work on that machine, even if you do a clean reinstall. You simply have to install Windows 10 saying that you don't have a serial number, and once it's installed to activate it. Windows will recognize your PC and will fully activate it.

So once you've done the free upgrade, nothing prevents from your wiping out your Windows 10 install, install Windows 8.1 for now, and re-install Windows 10 at a later stage (for free) whenever HDR support is more stable.

I'm seriously considering doing this on my HTPC. I'm not installing to Fall Creators update, but if Windows forces it on me and HDR doesn't work even with older drivers, I'll definitely go back to win 8.1 (even if on a second SSD with a dual boot).

The main drawback of 8.1 in a mixed gaming/HTPC machine is the loss of DirectX 12, but the main advantage is to get native MCE back.

As video playback is a lot more important to me than gaming, I'll go back to 8.1 is MS forces me to. I've done the free upgrade to Windows 10 on all my PCs knowing that I could go back and forth if needed, provided the hardware doesn't change too significantly (for example a change of two of mainboard/GPU/system drive would probably require a manual activation that might be refused). That's why I upgraded my GPU before reverting to 8.1 if needed, makes it possible to change the hard drive without activation issues).
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K

Last edited by Manni; 17th November 2017 at 21:58.
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 00:20   #47234  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Activation is also now tied to your MS account. If you sign in to your Windows 10 PC, your activation can be used even after a motherboard change. GPU's or system drives have never been tied to MS activation, just the motherboard.

QB

Last edited by QBhd; 18th November 2017 at 07:06.
QBhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 03:07   #47235  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
Activation is also now tied to your MS account. If you sign in to your Windows 10 PC, your activation can be used even after a motherboard change. GPU's or system drives have never been tied to MS activation, just the motherboard.
QB
GPUs and System drives (and even CPU) have ALWAYS been tied to activation, along with MB. You could change any of these (except MB), but if you change any two you have to reactivate (on the phone or automatically if you MS account is linked), and on OEM versions (tied to the MB) reactivation could be denied.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...-configuration

So depends on whether you have an OEM (tied to one motherboard) or a full version of the OS (you can install it on any PC you want but it will only be activated on one at a time). For a full version, unless it has changed in Windows 10, the GPU and system drive are also taken into account.

You don't have to link an MS account by the way. It's only an option since the Anniversary update, but it's not necessary. I use a standard login and the activation still works.

I kept it simple because all this this is fairly off topic. The point is if you have upgraded to Windows 10 you can downgrade to Windows 8.1 and upgrade back to 10 later. That's the only on-topic part.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 10:57   #47236  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
The main drawback of 8.1 in a mixed gaming/HTPC machine is the loss of DirectX 12, but the main advantage is to get native MCE back.
From how I have been reading things in the last few weeks in relation to nvidia, even DX11 is playing games better than DX12 on win10 machines.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 11:56   #47237  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epedemic View Post
Regarding Chroma Upscaling, i left that at the default (Cubic), is that hte least taxing setting or does it make sense to switch to bilinear (or something 3rd)?
Not sure why you asked, when you can do it in less time than it took you to type that and find out yourself..

Make sure the trade quality for performance options are all ticked and then you can see if unticking any from the bottom is feasible.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 12:11   #47238  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
Even though the free update offer "officially" ended, it is still technically possible to upgrade for free using the standard procedures. I would expect this state of affairs to go on pretty much forever - Microsoft cares more about people converging on the latest version than extracting scraps of money from late adopters. It is quite likely that they never intended for the free update to ever stop working and that the "deadline" was just a marketing trick to induce a sense of urgency in the userbase.
I suppose you're referring to the assistive tech upgrade path. That's gonna close at the end of this year: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsof...tive-features/
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2017, 12:37   #47239  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
From how I have been reading things in the last few weeks in relation to nvidia, even DX11 is playing games better than DX12 on win10 machines.
That mostly depends on the game, but its generally not wrong. NVIDIAs DX11 driver is quite optimized, so the benefit from DX12 is usually small - especially since DX12 optimizations in the games are often not the absolute best yet.
This may change over time however as the big rendering engines get better dealing with DX12.
Old 18th November 2017, 13:06   #47240  |  Link
aufkrawall

Yep, absolutely true. It depends a lot on the game.
I found a solution for myself how to stick to the Anniversary Update, this was/is really a stable version of Windows 10.
Funny that I'm having a much more hassle free experience on Arch Linux with all the latest stuff than with recent Windows 10 builds. Microsoft just have proven themselves incompetent for "Windows as a service".
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling