Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 19th April 2009, 16:02   #421  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Great work!

The bugs I found so far:

- I still get a macrovision failure when I want to play a DVD (in MPC and Zoom Player).
- If I play a file and open another file the screen stays black. When I press stop there is the message "loading pixel shader failed". Only a restart of MPC solves this problem.

I'm running MPC under Vista with a Radeon 3850.
FoLLgoTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 16:07   #422  |  Link
KoD

Subtitles with Vsfilter work fine here.

Bugs:

- I have a 1440x900 screen. I'm in ZoomPlayer, in fullscreen mode. I open a file that is 1920x1080. The video file is shown at a 1920x1080 resolution, and I see only the portion cropped to 1440x900 (no resizing took place). Playing a file with a smaller resolution than my video screen does get scaled to the screen size when playback starts, however.

- after closing a file while in ZoomPlayer, and then every second file opened in ZoomPlayer ends with and error from madVr: "loading pixel shader failed". For the error to be visible, I have to switch from windowed to fullscreen or from fullscreen to windowed. The only way to have playback, is to close the player and open it again. (this is the same error as FoLLgoTT's)

- madshi, do you happen to have any mpeg (with mpeg 1 video) files around ? Try to play them and you'll see the "time length" is 0:00 (at least in Zoom Player), and the screen is black. The splitter used is the Microsoft MPEG-I splitter. Every other renderer work fine, with the reported time length of the file being right in them.

Subjective note: isn't the rendering time longer in this version ? I think I'm getting more files unplayable now. I think this renderer will not become usable by laptop owners, it requires not only a very good graphic chip (which I already have), but also a very powerful CPU, as this renderer is more CPU demanding than Haali's renderer, for instance.

Good things: the timer besides the detected refresh rate gets increased for much longer than in previous versions (when it didn't last longer than 5 seconds). Now I've even seen it over 1 minute (haven't tested it for long, though)

Last edited by KoD; 19th April 2009 at 16:15.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 16:17   #423  |  Link
SpaceAgeHero
Blu-ray Fan

According to MadVR settings menu I have MadVR v0.6 now.
SpaceAgeHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 16:18   #424  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
What do you mean with "pre buffer"?
Sorry for my English.
In 0.4, when open a videoclip, it will use some time to init the videoclip, isn't it pre buffering?
I think it's propitious to play some videoclips.
nijiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 16:19   #425  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoLLgoTT View Post
- I still get a macrovision failure when I want to play a DVD (in MPC and Zoom Player).
Weird. I've only one DVD (THX demo DVD) to test with, though, and I don't even know if it's protected. Anyway, this one DVD showed "Macrovision fail" with madVR 0.4 in MPC HC for me and it plays fine now with madVR 0.5. I guess I have to find a "real" movie DVD to test with. Which exact error message do you get?

Quote:
- If I play a file and open another file the screen stays black. When I press stop there is the message "loading pixel shader failed". Only a restart of MPC solves this problem.
Argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
- I have a 1440x900 screen. I'm in ZoomPlayer, in fullscreen mode. I open a file that is 1920x1080. The video file is shown at a 1920x1080 resolution, and I see only the portion cropped to 1440x900 (no resizing took place). Playing a file with a smaller resolution than my video screen does get scaled to the screen size when playback starts, however.
That sounds strange. It seems to work fine with MPC HC here. Will have to test this with ZoomPlayer.

Quote:
- do you happen to have any mpeg (with mpeg 1 video) files around ?
No, do you have a small sample?

Quote:
Subjective note: isn't the rendering time longer in this version ? I think I'm getting more files unplayable now.
Try checking/unchecking "use 3dlut". Does that make a difference? madVR 0.4 used the 3dlut files by default. madVR 0.5 uses shader math by default. But actually I thought that should speed up things, not slow them down...

Quote:
Good things: the timer besides the detected refresh rate gets increased for much longer than in previous versions (when it didn't last longer than 5 seconds). Now I've even seen it over 1 minute (haven't tested it for long, though)
Good to hear, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAgeHero View Post
According to MadVR settings menu I have MadVR v0.6 now.
You're too fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijiko View Post
In 0.4, when open a videoclip, it will use some time to init the videoclip, isn't it pre buffering?
No, that was just time wasted on initializing dozens of pixel shaders which were not needed. And 3dlut file loading.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 16:20   #426  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR 0.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: only the first movie played fine, a 2nd movie stayed black
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 16:39   #427  |  Link
KoD

Reports:

- the 1920x1080 that is not resized to a smaller screen size is still there
- now I've also found a 704x400 file that it's not upsized when starting playback
- the incorrect time length, and black screen for mpg files is there
- it's hard to compare the rendering times when using 3dlut and when not; looks like what madVr displays is an average, and the values vary each time the file is played. A subjective impression is that there's more time spent on resampling textures and rendering in this version than in previous versions. Now even the 704x400 file mentioned above is unplayable (rendering times over 50 ms for short periods of time). In Haali, there's no problem.

Conditions to reproduce the "no resizing" bug in ZoomPlayer: starting ZoomPlayer, going fullscreen, and then opening a file.

I'm uploading a mpeg and that 704x400 mkv file above and I'll give you the links in a PM.

More: - and I'll even send you an avi file which can't get played no matter what.

Last edited by KoD; 19th April 2009 at 16:50.
Old 19th April 2009, 16:52   #428  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

>>madshi

But I consider 0.4 is more smoothly than after.

And, the CPU usage is too high, isn't it?
Old 19th April 2009, 17:01   #429  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijiko View Post
There is a problem.
The subtitles can't be loaded when videoclips start playing.
The subtitles must be closed once and opend once, it just can be displayed.
(With VSFilter.dll)
I've just noticed this report of yours in the MPC HC thread as well. I use ZoomPlayer and I have no issues with subtitles when using VSfilter. What you are experiencing is probably MPC not loading VSfilter because it wants to use its internal subtitle renderer. This is not a madVr issue, and it's not a VSfilter issue, it's simply a consequence of MPC behavior.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:01   #430  |  Link
Mike5

Quote:
Please try whether the display refresh rate detection works good now. It's important because it will later be needed for smooth playback. There's a number written right next to the refresh rate in brackets, e.g. "60Hz (20s)". This is the number of seconds the refresh rate calculation was able to work without any problems. The higher the number the better. Ideally it should simply continue to increase throughout the whole movie duration. The higher this number gets, the more reliable the calculated refresh rate is.
ATI HD4650, Catalyst 9.3, Win7, MPC-HC, madVR 0.6.

Playing a mkv 72op 25fps with a refresh rate of 75Hz, madVR says strange refresh rates, as:
106.04204Hz (1s)

Hz change continously and 1s stays the same.

The other parameters in statistics are correct.
Mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 17:09   #431  |  Link
Mike5

I keep getting Macrovision Fail both with a DVD (Gladiator) in the drive and trying to open the .IFO file in a DVD copied to disk.

No problem with single .VOB files.

The problem with refresh rate detection is the same as with mkv.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:10   #432  |  Link
KoD

Message sent, I've added more info there as well. The mpg issue was present in v0.4 too.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:19   #433  |  Link
FoLLgoTT
And so it begins...

Quote:
Weird. I've only one DVD (THX demo DVD) to test with, though, and I don't even know if it's protected. Anyway, this one DVD showed "Macrovision fail" with madVR 0.4 in MPC HC for me and it plays fine now with madVR 0.5. I guess I have to find a "real" movie DVD to test with. Which exact error message do you get?
It is the same message as before: "DVD: Macrovision Fail". Even the not protected HCFR test disc produces this error.
FoLLgoTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 17:21   #434  |  Link
Mike5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
The other parameters in statistics are correct.
Actually, reading them with more attention, the vsync interval is wrong too, but coherent with the changing display parametr.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:22   #435  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

Quote:
I've just noticed this report of yours in the MPC HC thread as well. I use ZoomPlayer and I have no issues with subtitles when using VSfilter. What you are experiencing is probably MPC not loading VSfilter because it wants to use its internal subtitle renderer. This is not a madVr issue, and it's not a VSfilter issue, it's simply a consequence of MPC behavior.
Sorry. After more testings, I found this problem is in VSFilter.dll, not madVR.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:24   #436  |  Link
Mike5

Quote:
Even the not protected HCFR test disc produces this error.
It appears evident to me that is not a protection problem, because I also get it with .ifo files of copied (and thus unprotected) DVD.

It seems a sort of a Menu navigation problem, but I'm not an expert.
Old 19th April 2009, 17:42   #437  |  Link
nlnl

VISTA 32, MPC-НС 1056 (supports madVR), Nvidia 9400, ffdshow yv12 output

Can not use madVR! MPC goes back to Video Renderer.
But the installation was sucsessful. Filter madVR is added to external filters (preffered).
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 17:53   #438  |  Link
TinTime

I'm getting an error now with v0.5/0.6 in Zoom Player. Whenever I start playback, or seek, the image is displayed incorrectly.

If the player is windowed it looks like this.

The image moves further out of the window the further from the top left of the screen the window is (if that makes sense). If I resize the window, or go to full screen, the image corrects itself. However if I seek it then breaks again.

If I start playback or seek in full screen it displays the image in the top left of the full screen like this. I've set the background to grey in Zoom Player which is why it's, well, grey
Full screen resolution is 1440x900.
TinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 18:08   #439  |  Link
ericgur

version 0.6 still crashes when d3d device is lost.
ericgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 18:09   #440  |  Link
nijiko
Hi-Fi Fans

>>madshi

On my computer, here, 0.6 is slower than 0.4.
0.4 is more smoothly.
Can you improve it?

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling