Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th August 2003, 05:42   #1  |  Link
Midnight Tboy

CVD Resolution max bitrate on dvdr

hey there,

I've been over the past, been making lots of svcd/cvds, and now been making many dvd-rs, with keeping the CVD resolution etc, encoded via dvd2svcd/cce, usually fitting up to 3 movies per disc.

What I'm curious at, is the default max bitrates allowed for SVCDs on regular cdrs is round about 2500. I know on DVDr for a dvd resolution spec, you can safely go to 5500 (I'm not exactly sure how high is safe to go for that)....but what I'm wondering....is whilst I'm encoding my CVDs......to go directly onto dvdr instead of cdr media....am I still restricted to that max bitrate of 2500, or would I be allowed doing its VBR multipass to allow it to go as high as a dvdr res bitrate file? as this would be great for if the film came across some extremely fast or complex scenes where it can use above what was normally limited at 2400 on these films at this resolution which would mean exception quality and reduce blockiness effects

cheers,
Tuck
Old 9th August 2003, 10:55   #2  |  Link
Clixo
zombie

i do not think you will get any problem, atm i am using the max bitrate as high as 8500 and so far no problems. But just to be safe burn your first imge in an dvdrw , if it is not ok for you then you will not need to send it to the garbage

use those links befoure you start any new thread ... please

happy convertions

clixo.
Clixo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2003, 06:39   #3  |  Link
Midnight Tboy

thanks....I'll give it a try soon - just need to get some HD space freed up, and I've ran out of dvd-r's dammit - 3weeks now till next computer fair...time to hunt around for some decent uk net prices

cheers,
Tuck
Old 11th August 2003, 00:27   #4  |  Link
The Belgain

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/ ?
The Belgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 00:50   #5  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Re: CVD Resolution max bitrate on dvdr

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Tboy
What I'm curious at, is the default max bitrates allowed for SVCDs on regular cdrs is round about 2500. I know on DVDr for a dvd resolution spec, you can safely go to 5500 (I'm not exactly sure how high is safe to go for that)
If you always set the max and min according to te specs of the destination format you'll be OK. On DVD specs is Max=9800.
Quote:
....but what I'm wondering....is whilst I'm encoding my CVDs......to go directly onto dvdr instead of cdr media....am I still restricted to that max bitrate of 2500, or would I be allowed doing its VBR multipass to allow it to go as high as a dvdr res bitrate file?
This actually is likely to depend more on the media you're using. If you use CD-R/RW, players tipically only support 2x.

But in your case, since you're going for DVD-Rs, you're likely not to have any problem when encoding at CVD resolution and DVD spec BRs (The player won't notice you're cheating )

Hope this helps.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2003, 10:36   #6  |  Link
Midnight Tboy

thanks.... Ive done a cpl of encodes now and playing back ok on pc anyways. Now, I just need to wait for my dvd-rs to be delivered. I order them from valuemedia.co.uk as they were a bit cheaper than blankdiscshop.co.uk, although I have bought stuff from there in the past, especially good cd carrier cases.

For my movies, because I put 2-3 movies on per dvd-r, I generally have the max size set at 1450mb so that 3 films fit on comfortably (or 2175 if film longer than 2 hrs and whether or not I'm keeping original ac3 - for 2 movies on cd), so I can't see it really hitting much higher than the general SVCD max bitrate of about 2400 anyways...just I thought, for example I just converted Iron Monkey dvd, film length about 1hr 40, keeping the original ac3 for both the english and chinese track with subs, so I made the size 2175 to take into account the extra space needed for ac3, but then hoping that maybe if some really bad scene to encode, that extra bitrate would help with a 5pass VBR CCE encode, max bitrate set now to 5000, max VBR 4800, and minimum 300
Old 11th August 2003, 14:09   #7  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Tboy
For my movies, because I put 2-3 movies on per dvd-r, I generally have the max size set at 1450mb so that 3 films fit on comfortably (or 2175 if film longer than 2 hrs and whether or not I'm keeping [...]that extra bitrate would help with a 5pass VBR CCE encode, max bitrate set now to 5000, max VBR 4800, and minimum 300 [/B]
I think you're too concerned with the max BR. The important one anyway is the average one. Limiting the max will only make your heavy motion scenes look blurry.

Also, 5 pass is a misuse of computing resources

My rule of thumb is this: if you have enough BR for the movie you're encoding, just Multipass 1 (VAF+1 pass actual MPV) will do.

How to know if you have enough BR, you say? You can do a compressibility test, for instance, with Tylos's D2Sroba plugin. For me, the BR obtained for Q=30 is good enough.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
Old 11th August 2003, 17:25   #8  |  Link
Midnight Tboy

I was looking before at the possibily of trying out D2Sroba sometime. Unfortunately I hear it can't yet do avi support, and about 75% of all my encodes are generally from an avi source, I've also been wary of the possibly problems I may have in using it perhaps. So even tho I'm going at such a CVD resolution and lower average bitrate etc, by changing the default Q factor (I dont even know what its on now - dvd2svcd default) to a diff value, it will improve picture more at a single VBR pass (+vaf), then a 5pass primarily because of this Q factor? If so, I hope he can get avi usage implemented quickly. Also, I thought this whole robshot method was part of newer features in CCE 2.66+, so how come it works in v2.50?

cheers,
Tuck
Old 11th August 2003, 18:00   #9  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

You're correct, no AVI support yet, but soon. I would like to invite you to read this thread:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59054

Most of your questions on the method are answered there. Also, I understand a Newbie's Guide is in progress.
Old 11th August 2003, 18:07   #10  |  Link
Midnight Tboy

heh cheers, I was just reading that thread now too as I got the email from reply in this thread......reading several times over to try to make sense of it of course