Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 31st January 2007, 05:57   #1  |  Link
phædrus

Disadvantages to extra-large .ts capture file sizes?

I'm very new to HDTV capture -- I've captured perhaps three programs so far. I've been reading around this forum for the past two weeks or so, and a question arises:

My MyHD card default setting is to capture a program in 2GB chunks. You can set a custom maximum file size in the configuration settings if one chooses. I haven't tried this yet. It just seems sort of clunky to me to have a one-hour program chopped up into four or five files. Even if I just load them all consecutively into DGIndex (as one would do for multiple VOB files ripped from a DVD), it seems like an unnecessary step.

Are most of you capturing in 2GB files? Is there any advantage to using this file size (apart from it being a manageable size if you wanted to burn the .ts files directly to a DVD to archive, something I don't intend to do)?

What might be the disadvantage, if any, to setting the max file size at, say, 10GB? This seems like the way to go, but I haven't started trying to compress and reencode any of these files to another format yet, so I don't know what problems might be encountered if I did go with much bigger files.
phædrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 06:03   #2  |  Link

As long as your file system is NTFS, it's just fine to have the bigger files. They default it to 2GB to allow for people that have FAT32 formatted disks. I don't even have a maximum for my captures via Dvico Fusion. It all goes into one file.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 10:12   #3  |  Link
Pookie

I have a MYHD card and capture in 8GB segments. Easier for me to determine that I've recorded an hour long program.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 00:37   #4  |  Link
phædrus

thanks. I couldn't see any problem, but then I have so little experience, I thought it best to ask.
phædrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 00:46   #5  |  Link
CvH

the only problem that i discover is that some programs cant handle files bigger 4gb
CvH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2007, 20:48   #6  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

I think I have my max filesize for MyHD set at 40Gb. I think I've only seen one or two recordings around 30Gb (movies of course, with commercials).

I import these w/no trouble to VideoReDo for editing.

The only reason I can imagine to record in smaller chunks is if you want to burn those chunks as-is to DVD or something.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote