Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 4th March 2011, 03:09   #41  |  Link
Capsbackup

Just my opinion, but your problem lies with one of those many listed programs you have installed.
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 21:11   #42  |  Link
sbtuttle

Then what if I try this

I'm using 7 Ultimate, I've got an unused copy of Vista Ultimate. If I install vista on a separate hdd and dual-boot.

Then install only the programs for bd-rebuilder, and it on Vista, follow the install as admin and rest of instructions - it should run correctly - Right?

Or would there be a problem from windows media center?

Thanks in advance

Steve
sbtuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 23:50   #43  |  Link
MilesAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtuttle View Post
I'm using 7 Ultimate, I've got an unused copy of Vista Ultimate. If I install vista on a separate hdd and dual-boot.

Then install only the programs for bd-rebuilder, and it on Vista, follow the install as admin and rest of instructions - it should run correctly - Right?

Or would there be a problem from windows media center?

Thanks in advance

Steve
Have you been able to get BDRB set up and complete one successful run? If so, usually what happens as jdobbs said, you run another program later and it changes settings.

If you have never been able to set up BDRB and complete a successful run, then you have another problem.

First diagnostic technique is narrow the location. Otherwise you'll be like the guy who lost his car keys at night. He's looking under the lamp post. Someone asks what he's looking for. He says "My car keys." The bystander asks "where did you drop them?" The car key searcher points across the street and says "over there." The bystander asks "then why are you looking on this side of the street?" The car key searcher says "because the light is better over here."

Last edited by MilesAhead; 9th March 2011 at 23:54.
MilesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 21:40   #44  |  Link
sbtuttle

On a win xp home laptop

No, I've never been ableto get the program to run, despite all the help, I stillhave an inspection error on VC-1, and when I run it it allways gives me the messege posted.

I have however, installed and run all programs as the instructions state on a old toshiba A65 laptop running win xp home

And after I change the mpeg2 setting in ffshow and run inspect EVERYTHING is correct.

So, Screw win 7, I'm waiting on the full xp home from ebay, and load it on my other Raptor drive and dual boot

I thank everyone with all my heart for all the help, but with having to watch my Grandson - I just don't have time to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Steve
sbtuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 19:12   #45  |  Link
Rich86

BD-RB under Win7Pro/64

I am running BD-RB under a Win7 Pro/64 bit Op system with no issues. If there is something I can research or provide off my system that might help diagnose the issue, I'm willing. But someone would have to tell me what it is that might be helpful and how to provide it. Just offering to help.

Last edited by Rich86; 17th March 2011 at 20:56.
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 17:47   #46  |  Link
MickJT

I have sent a message to jdobbs describing this bug in detail. BD Rebuilder is only changing the AVC registry key to use ffdshow, and not any of the others. The easy solution is to use the Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker, and also edit the ffdshow settings with the configuration tool that comes with ffdshow. BD Rebuilder is also not changing any of the ffdshow settings either, despite saying it has.

It may be an issue just on 64bit. In any case, I have ran procmon while BD Rebuilder does its thing, and I can see that it is definitely not doing what it says it is.
Old 17th March 2011, 17:50   #47  |  Link
MickJT

I figured i'll just post the contents of my private message here. There's no reason for it to be private other than its long length. It's 2 private messages separated by "------".

-----

I haven't bothered to really look into this bug for a long time now, but it's been this way since at least post 9903: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1452256

I got out procmon to have a look at what the problem is.

I run Windows 7 64bit. This means the 32bit codec registry settings are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred and the 64bit codec settings are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectShow\Preferred

BD-Rebuilder recommends using only a particular build of ffdshow-tryouts, and the 32bit edition. This is fine. I have no 64bit ffdshow-tryouts installed.

The Inspect tool checks 3 registry points for AVC / VC-1 & MPEG-2 (according to procmon)

AVC: {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
VC-1: {31435657-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
MPEG-2: {e06d8026-db46-11cf-b4d1-00805f6cbbea}

By default, on a clean setup (mine is), all 3 keys are set to use Microsoft's built in codecs, instead of ffdshow.

The string value for ffdshow show for those 3 keys is

{04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}

I know you know this already. I've searched through posts of yours.

When loading up BD-Rebuilder, it checks these 3 keys, the same as the Inspect.exe tool does.

A message appears.

BD Rebuilder: FFDSHOW Not Configured

It appears your Windows 7 System may not be configured for
use with FFDSHOW. BD Rebuilder can attempt to configure your
system for you. This involves making changes to the DirectShow
REGISTRY. Failure to do so may result in out-of-sync audio
or encode failures.

Would you like BD Rebuilder to do this for you?

Clicking "Yes" brings up a message.

Your Windows 7 system has been successfully configured
to use FFSHOW with BD Rebuilder.

Forgiving the typo (FFSHOW instead of FFDSHOW), this message is inaccurate.

BD Rebuilder only modifies one key. That key is {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, the AVC key.

Quitting BD Rebuilder and opening the Inspect tool shows that BD Rebuilder has indeed corrected the preferred codec for AVC, but left the others unchanged, resulting in the message to fix the issue every time BD Rebuilder is ran.

Procmon was used to confirm the behaviour of Inspect / BD Rebuilder.

All versions used when making this private message are the latest and/or required versions of the tools BD Rebuilder uses, as of this date, 16th March 2011.

---------

I'm going to just assume here that you've never encountered that bug before (even though it's persisted over a long time and and a fresh installation of Windows 7 64bit).

My guess is that it's writing the first registry key (AVC codec preferred filter), then somehow exiting the loop and not writing the other changes, because it is not writing the changes for ffdshow either (whether it is meant to, I don't know!).

I'm willing to be a test guinea pig.

--------

Last edited by MickJT; 18th March 2011 at 07:34.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:00   #48  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
I have sent a message to jdobbs describing this bug in detail. BD Rebuilder is only changing the AVC registry key to use ffdshow, and not any of the others. The easy solution is to use the Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker, and also edit the ffdshow settings with the configuration tool that comes with ffdshow. BD Rebuilder is also not changing any of the ffdshow settings either, despite saying it has.

It may be an issue just on 64bit. In any case, I have ran procmon while BD Rebuilder does its thing, and I can see that it is definitely not doing what it says it is.
Unfortunately, though, I tested it following your PM and from what I see your statement is incorrect. On both of my Win 7 systems (32 bit and 64 bit) it appears to be configuring everything correctly. I think it may be some issue (probably rights related) on your system. But, as always, I'll continue to test it.

Last edited by jdobbs; 17th March 2011 at 22:17.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 07:12   #49  |  Link
MickJT

I do think it's the issue that people are reporting here. It is a freshly installed system. I am willing to be a test guinea pig if you want to give me a version with extra console debug output after it changes each key. I can easily verify in procmon itself that it is not even attempting to change any other registry keys.

I could post video proof too (of procmon/bd-rebuilder together). I'd rather just send the link in a private message though.

The problem with a debug version is it might say that it's changing each key, but procmon says different!

Edit: I can edit the key in regedit without any issue. As said, procmon shows that BD Rebuilder doesn't even attempt it. If it was a permissions issue, procmon would still show BD Rebuilder trying to change it. I have tried both "Run as Administrator" and without.

Perhaps those with this issue can use the filter tweaker or FF_RESET to put AVC back to the Microsoft filter. Then see whether BD-Rebuilder is able to at least change the AVC filter back to ffdshow.

Edit2: FF_RESET.BAT does work here. If I modify it myself (just some arbitrary values to verify it works) and run it as Admin, I do see all changes.

Last edited by MickJT; 18th March 2011 at 07:48.
Old 18th March 2011, 14:16   #50  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I do think it's the issue that people are reporting here. It is a freshly installed system. I am willing to be a test guinea pig if you want to give me a version with extra console debug output after it changes each key. I can easily verify in procmon itself that it is not even attempting to change any other registry keys.

I could post video proof too (of procmon/bd-rebuilder together). I'd rather just send the link in a private message though.

The problem with a debug version is it might say that it's changing each key, but procmon says different!

Edit: I can edit the key in regedit without any issue. As said, procmon shows that BD Rebuilder doesn't even attempt it. If it was a permissions issue, procmon would still show BD Rebuilder trying to change it. I have tried both "Run as Administrator" and without. The .BAT file is just removed after successful execution.

Perhaps those with this issue can use the filter tweaker or FF_RESET to put AVC back to the Microsoft filter. Then see whether BD-Rebuilder is able to at least change the AVC filter back to ffdshow.

Edit2: FF_RESET.BAT does work here. If I modify it myself (just some arbitrary values to verify it works) and run it as Admin, I do see all changes.
The original changes are made exactly as FF_RESET.BAT does them only in reverse (with the FFDSHOW keys). The .BAT file is just removed after successful completion.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:15   #51  |  Link
MickJT

Yes, but I can modify FF_RESET.BAT with the values needed to do it in "reverse-reverse", i.e set it up the way BD-RB needs it, and it works fine. Procmon is just showing me that in the BD-Rebuilder.exe process, no attempts are being made to alter anything except the AVC preferred filter, whether there's a permissions issue or not; It would still show up. Willing to run any tests you might have for me.
Old 18th March 2011, 18:24   #52  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Yes, but I can modify FF_RESET.BAT with the values needed to do it in "reverse-reverse", i.e set it up the way BD-RB needs it, and it works fine. Procmon is just showing me that in the BD-Rebuilder.exe process, no attempts are being made to alter anything except the AVC preferred filter, whether there's a permissions issue or not; It would still show up. Willing to run any tests you might have for me.
It is working for me, and it's been working for other users for a long time now as well -- that would seem to indicate it has to be something specific to your system. I can't imagine how it would work differently just because it is executed through a shell call via the O/S, though.
Old 18th March 2011, 18:43   #53  |  Link
MickJT

It isn't specific to my system. Bokker is having the same issue, but you guided him through fixing it up manually. sbtuttle has the same issue, and couldn't be bothered with all the hard work to fix it up.

My HDD died recently and I simply installed Windows 7 64bit, fresh (no image restore), then ffdshow, Haali, AviSynth and BD-Rebuilder. There's nothing fancy on here. Again, procmon shows BD-Rebuilder isn't even attempting to fix up the other keys. So, whether it is something with my system or not, it must still be a bug. BD-Rebuilder should at least be trying, and it is successful at changing the AVC filter, but it doesn't try to change anything else other than that. It is able to read all 3 keys. It only tries writing one of them (AVC) when it's not set up correctly, and that works fine. So it's not failing at doing something, but actually not attempting it in the first place.

I do need to stress that this system is fresh. Plain Win 7 64bit install, Firefox, Haali, AviSynth, ffdshow, BD-Rebuilder, iTunes, VideoLAN. That's it. No virus checker, nothing. Oh, and AnyDVD HD but I only just put that on there today. I also installed Win 7 Service Pack 1.

Would you like me to send you a link to a full procmon log (nothing excluded from the list)?

Edit: Woah. Hold on, it appears to be working now. Double-checking.

I found the cause. Still a bug, sort of. Wait for an edit. Check next post.

Last edited by MickJT; 18th March 2011 at 19:30.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:24   #54  |  Link
MickJT

OK. The culprit is Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker. After running that, it does something that I can't detect that prevents BD-Rebuilder from setting the registry keys. BD-Rebuilder doesn't even make FF_CONFIGURE.BAT (I wish it didn't delete it, so I could view what was in it).

Here is where it gets weird. Open up regedit, and double-click on {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

Change it (the value inside the key, not the key itself) to something else (regedit won't save non-edits).

After that, it's fine, BD-Rebuilder can do its thing. The weird thing is, no matter whether it's the AVC, VC-1 or MPEG-2 codec you changed in Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker, it is the {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} key (AVC) that must be re-saved before BD-Rebuilder is able to fix the VC-1 / MPEG-2 keys and all the ffdshow settings.

At least you know what to look for now jdobbs! Run the tweaker program. It won't mess anything up, I promise (well, other than present this bug/issue to you).

Remember it's not only Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker that may do something like this that prevents BD-Rebuilder from fixing it. Seeing as regedit (or FF_RESET.BAT) works to fix it so BD-Rebuilder can fix the settings again, i'm a bit baffled. Is it a permissions issue or not? Hmm.

Last edited by MickJT; 18th March 2011 at 19:35.
Old 18th March 2011, 19:45   #55  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
OK. The culprit is Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker. After running that, it does something that I can't detect that prevents BD-Rebuilder from setting the registry keys. BD-Rebuilder doesn't even make FF_CONFIGURE.BAT (I wish it didn't delete it, so I could view what was in it).

Here is where it gets weird. Open up regedit, and double-click on {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

Change it (the value inside the key, not the key itself) to something else (regedit won't save non-edits).

After that, it's fine, BD-Rebuilder can do its thing. The weird thing is, no matter whether it's the AVC, VC-1 or MPEG-2 codec you changed in Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker, it is the {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} key (AVC) that must be re-saved before BD-Rebuilder is able to fix the VC-1 / MPEG-2 keys and all the ffdshow settings.

At least you know what to look for now jdobbs! Run the tweaker program. It won't mess anything up, I promise (well, other than present this bug/issue to you).

Remember it's not only Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker that may do something like this that prevents BD-Rebuilder from fixing it. Seeing as regedit (or FF_RESET.BAT) works to fix it so BD-Rebuilder can fix the settings again, i'm a bit baffled. Is it a permissions issue or not? Hmm.
So how does an issue with "Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker" suddenly become my problem to fix?
Old 18th March 2011, 19:56   #56  |  Link
MickJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
So how does an issue with "Win 7 DS Filter Tweaker" suddenly become my problem to fix?
Well, clearly Win7DSFilterTweaker does something, but it could have been something else, who knows.

When someone has a problem whereby BD-Rebuilder does not set the filters and ffdshow settings but says it did, then this is just 1 way in which this problem could be caused.

Forget Win7DSFilterTweaker was used. Fact is, BD-Rebuilder said it did something which it didn't. This is one way you can replicate the problem, that is all. Just one way. It could be something else for other people, but nevertheless this is one way for you to replicate the issue.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:00   #57  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Well, clearly Win7DSFilterTweaker does something, but it could have been something else, who knows.

When someone has a problem whereby BD-Rebuilder does not set the filters and ffdshow settings but says it did, then this is just 1 way in which this problem could be caused.

Forget Win7DSFilterTweaker was used. Fact is, BD-Rebuilder said it did something which it didn't. This is one way you can replicate the problem, that is all. Just one way. It could be something else for other people, but nevertheless this is one way for you to replicate the issue.
You have posted this now in two different threads and I have answered you in both. This is NOT AN ISSUE WITH BD REBUILDER and no matter how many times you cross-post it the bottom line is that even if I wanted to (which I don't) I cannot fix an issue in someone elses software. Send your bug report to them.
Old 18th March 2011, 20:05   #58  |  Link
MickJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
You have posted this now in two different threads and I have answered you in both. This is NOT AN ISSUE WITH BD REBUILDER and no matter how many times you cross-post it the bottom line is that even if I wanted to (which I don't) I cannot fix an issue in someone elses software. Send your bug report to them.
Lets move this to the bug reporting thread. As said there, the issue is that BD-Rebuilder says it fixed something which it didn't. The cause that makes BD-Rebuilder do that, is irrelevant. Fact is, it is possible for something to make BD-Rebuilder exhibit this behaviour.

Like a buffer overflow which can be used to inject code on unsecure platforms. You don't say "I won't fix it, the solution is to not use that tool to overflow the buffer". Clearly there would be a bug that allows the buffer overflow to occur!
Old 18th March 2011, 20:10   #59  |  Link
jdobbs

@MickJT

You have gotten your answer and now you're talking nonsense for which I have not time. Asking me to fix an issue caused by someone elses software is about as silly as it gets. If you can't understand that, then I have to assume you won't understand any further explanation either.

As moderator I am instructing you to cease posting on this subject. It is off topic. You have violated rules 3, 8, 10, and now rule 16. Continue and you will receive strikes and/or be banned.

Last edited by jdobbs; 18th March 2011 at 20:19.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:44   #60  |  Link
Siddus

I have tried 20 times now to install BD-Rebuilder on my windows 7 64 bit ultimate (with sp1) and I have followed all the suggested ways to install (uninstall everything, reboot and reinstall).
Run REG_MSCOMCTL.BAT as admin, and then run BD-Rebuilder.exe as admin which gives this at every startup:
"It appears your windows 7 system may not be configured for
use with FFDSHOW. BD-Rebuilder can attempt to configure your
system for you. This involves making changes to the DirectShow
REGISTRY. Failure to do so may result in ouf-of-sync audio
or encode failures

Would you like BD-Rebuilder to do this for you ?"
I always click ok..

And this is what the inspect.exe give as result:
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, Ok
- HAALI Splitter: 1.11.96.14, Ok
- FFDSHOW: 3882, Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Not Set correctly
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Not Set correctly
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Not Set correctly
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libmpeg2": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "ffmpeg-mt": Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.38.0.4, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok
The versions I am using is the latest recomended at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716 (BD-Rebuilder BD-RBV03804)
and I have followed all the suggested settings on that page.
I have only a few burn software installed (dvdfab, alcohol-soft and nero) + media player classic HC and I don't understand why BD-Rebuilder
can't make the "WIN7 preferred CODEC" settings ??
I have also tried to login as administrator to remove the need for "right click and run as admin" and still no luck..
How can I make these settings manually (if there is a way)??
/Siddus

Last edited by Siddus; 22nd June 2011 at 08:00.
Siddus is offline   Reply With Quote