Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 2nd September 2004, 11:20   #1  |  Link
ivan_alias
H.264 is the Future

Anyone using H.264

There is a lot of news at the moment about H.264 and there a lot or codecs out there or coming out in various states of development, but is anyone actually using it regularly for backing up TV content of films etc?

Personally I really like videolan and when the h.264 support in that gets better it will be a pretty cool tool for quick backups of my PVR content. So are people actually using h.264 yet, or are all the codecs out there not reliable enough yet?

Ivan

Last edited by ivan_alias; 2nd September 2004 at 11:22.
ivan_alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 11:32   #2  |  Link
JohnV

Imo the recent Ateme h264 beta encoder is the first h264 encoder that really gives good results. I'd be suprised if anyone already uses h264 for backing up yet, but I suppose this will change soon when Ateme h264 becomes public and mainstream in NeroDigital.
JohnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 15:57   #3  |  Link
unmei
frying subs

I actually did 2 full length movie encodings with FFDShow's x264 in constant quality mode some time ago. But i also encoded the movies in xvid and put both on the disk. The h264 version is rather intended as something of a "souvienir from h264 history" than a backup. But also x264 looks like it would rapidly approaching a point where you can consider it for backup. Maybe not so much for the top quality range, but for things you want to assign only very limited filesize to. A long movie on 1 CD for instance.

[edit] I have one more movie at hand i wanted to try h264 again, but as i'm now not part of Atheme's testers and the latest FFDShow has the constant quality broken i will probably have to wait for the next release (maybe it will even have the 2-pass mode )[/edit]

Last edited by unmei; 2nd September 2004 at 16:02.
unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 16:34   #4  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

In my opinion the biggest problem with x264 is the very crude motion estimation. It still has jumping blocks and completely lacks the image stability, which prevent it from being usable. Adding a 2-pass RC wont change anything until they fix these issues.
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 16:52   #5  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Will ateme H264 be avalible in VFW form?
Old 2nd September 2004, 16:54   #6  |  Link
LostMP4
Lost in a Byte

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirber
Will ateme H264 be avalible in VFW form?
I guess will only be available as part of Nero Digital
LostMP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 18:03   #7  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Oh...

sucks. I wish I could add the codec to RealAnime
Old 2nd September 2004, 18:10   #8  |  Link
bond

make realanime support directshow filters

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 20:52   #9  |  Link
snacky

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Carrot
In my opinion the biggest problem with x264 is the very crude motion estimation. It still has jumping blocks and completely lacks the image stability, which prevent it from being usable. Adding a 2-pass RC wont change anything until they fix these issues.
IMO this could be because the only comparison function used for motion estimation is SAD (sum of absolute differences). This method is fast, but not ideal for quality.

Also, I don't think ffdshow has been synching to the latest versions of x264. Currently you might want to use mencoder for that.
snacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2004, 21:11   #10  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Quote:
Originally posted by snacky
IMO this could be because the only comparison function used for motion estimation is SAD (sum of absolute differences). This method is fast, but not ideal for quality.
I don't thing SAD itself is the problem. Xvid uses it too in VHQ mode 0, and it has relatively accurate motion rendering, while x264 has many problems in this regard. The textures are not moving fluidly during the motions, but rather jumping around (i cannot explain it better).

Last edited by Tommy Carrot; 2nd September 2004 at 21:13.
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2004, 14:16   #11  |  Link
snacky

I've found the problem goes away when using very low quants/high bitrates (say, quants in the mid or high teens), but this doesn't seem to be a very reasonable workaround.
snacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 10:33   #12  |  Link
PeteD

I've Just got a new Mobile Phone (Nokia 6230) so have been trying out some video conversions to try out on it. So far I've converted some sections of Finding Nemo and Xmen2 (from DivX)using Mpegable X4 live(mpegable.com)and the results at resoltion 128x96, video 198kbit/sec, audio 12kbit/sec, are absolutly fantastic. The quality is amazing. I did convert the whole film at these settings and it came out at 130mb... ish, which is no problem with a large MMC card installed, but, the phone seems to have some problems playing back large files. Video or audio sometimes freezes up. Clips of around 5-10mb play fine. This maybe down to the firmware version, as some people have susccesfully watched complete episodes of their favorite tv shows on earlier firmwares.

Anyway, so far so good, ideal for mobile devices and I guess it can only get better.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2004, 10:39   #13  |  Link
PeteD

Sorry. Misread the thread title. Obviously the post above refers to H263. But still damn good 8>)
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote