Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 18th April 2004, 15:06   #1  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

DVB volunteers wanted

Okay, this time it's serious. I don't have access to DVB-C, can't put a Technotrend based DVB-S card in my barebone PC, and there's no DVB-T around here anymore. Yet, I want to cover all these areas so I need YOUR! help.

Here's what I'm looking for:

DVB-S guide for Technotrend based cards (Hauppauge WinTV Nexus/Nova, Skystar1, etc). I'm looking for something on the software that ships with the card, good freeware solutions (DVB Control, DVB Extreme perhaps). Also, what I couldn't find so far was a soft to capture multiple audio streams at the same time.

DVB-C guide for Technotrend based cards (Hauppauge once again). The standard software should be covered, as well as anything that allows multi PID recording (TS, for multiple audio streams), preferably freeware but commercial is also okay if there's no viable freeware solution. There's already a MyTheatre guide (to be published soon), so for that program I'm just interested on the configuration differences to a DVB-S card.

DVB-T guide. Here once again we have Technotrend based cards, and budget cards like the AirStar2. Requirements are the same as above, vendor supplied soft if it's any good, and good alternative software, preferably freeware. I already have a volunteer for a twinhand visionplus card guide and the Nebula guide is already online. Oh, and Mytheatre also seems to support quite a number of cards in that area so perhaps something on the differences of using this soft for sats, cable and terretrial broadcasts might be useful.

Now, nobody ask you to do everything. Large chunks are already there in the existing DVB guides.. processing captured files, etc. that part exists and you don't have to redo it. The above outlined documents would have to be something like this: http://www.doom9.org/DigiTV/progdvb.htm, http://www.doom9.org/DigiTV/dvbportal.htm and http://www.doom9.org/DigiTV/dvbviewer.htm. Just cover reception setup, channel scan and recording, and perhaps automated recording based on EPG if this is available to you.

And as for a few more hints of what I'm looking for, here's a document describing my generic guide requirements: http://www.doom9.org/guide-writing.htm. Make sure you read this before starting out.

Last but not least, if there are any good settop boxes (with focus on recording.. we want to get those streams digitally to our PCs), that are not exactly niche products, a guide on such products could also not hurt.

And one more thing: from personal experience I know that guides are best written on one day.. prepare your project, then sit down one day and get it over with. If you drag it around for weeks, you'll never finish it. Looking forward to a lot of volunteers
Old 19th April 2004, 02:56   #2  |  Link
kayman

i can vollenteer i have both a hauppage and vp1020 i can do guides and or general knowledege stuff on how to set up the following programs

TSreader
mytheatre
prodvb

as well as guides on how to make dvdrs , svcds , xvids out of the source files including standard and high def. tv recordings

let me know

kayman

only prob is i dont know html can i do it in .doc or .rtf and upload it somewhere for some one to convert?

Last edited by kayman; 19th April 2004 at 03:03.
kayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2004, 06:35   #3  |  Link
digidragon

I have a Nebula DVB-T (UK) card and software that I could write a guide on.
digidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2004, 11:17   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@kayman: what's the chipset used in the vp1020? Isn't tsreader the channel scanning app of dvbportal? And I've never heard of prodvb.. did you by any chance mean to write ProgDVB?

@digidragon: that would be great. make sure you read the examples and guidelines below, then I can't wait for you to get started. If you're using multiple softwares don't be shy to write more than one guide (well, technically they're guide pieces because it's all going to be integrated into the existing DVB guide).
Old 19th April 2004, 11:43   #5  |  Link
kayman

ya progdvb my bad i wrote it late last night hehe

im not sure on the chipset for the 1020 where would i find that?
its the green one.
Old 19th April 2004, 13:57   #6  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
im not sure on the chipset for the 1020 where would i find that?
Check the homepage of the manufacturer (I don't even know which brand that card is).
Old 19th April 2004, 16:43   #7  |  Link
unixfs

The PCI chip is Conhexant BT878.
They are Twinhan clones like some Pinnacle, Chaintech and MSI models.
unixfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2004, 17:05   #8  |  Link
unixfs

Doom9, Progdvb is a good application with drivers for all the most common DVB cards around
and for some unusual model too (like Broadlogic).

www.progdvb.com
Old 19th April 2004, 18:52   #9  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@unixfs: there's already a progdvb guide on my site So unless it's about the setup of a DVB-C or DVB-T card in that program, we don't need another one.

what type of DVB card is the vp1020 ? -s/-c or -t?
Old 19th April 2004, 19:35   #10  |  Link
unixfs

sorry I read the wrong thing

The Visionplus 1020 is a budget sat card without mpeg decoder and CI
Old 19th April 2004, 21:16   #11  |  Link
kayman

vp 1020 is Vision plus vp1020-S card
Old 20th April 2004, 09:18   #12  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@kayman: okay, you can treat both card and both TSReader and Mytheatre. Please make sure you read my reference documents and adhere to those.. that'll make intergration as smooth as possible and you won't do unnecessary work (as in writing content that won't be used later on).
Old 20th April 2004, 11:58   #13  |  Link
kayman

""Just cover reception setup, channel scan and recording, and perhaps automated recording based on EPG if this is available to you.""

just covering those topics , i have completed the one for mytheatre in dreamweaver but my only problem was what do i do with this .css file that i got from your notes i couldnt save it , so i just copied the text and pasted it to a txt file and changed the extension but dont know how to load it in dreamweaver is my first time using that app

kayman
Old 20th April 2004, 12:14   #14  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@kayman: I don't have DW installed at work, but when you right click in a document, pretty much at the top of the menu that pops up, you have a menu point called Stylesheet or CSS (or something similar), it'll lead you to a submenu where you can select the option "attach css" (or attach stylesheet or something similar), then a file open dialogue will open, select the .css document there and you're all set.
Old 20th April 2004, 16:08   #15  |  Link
digidragon

I just finished my first draft of the nebula guide, but as it's my first attempt please be gentle

Let me know if you want more/less detail or whatever.

I think the css and image links are okay, and should work on the main Doom9 site without needing altering. I hope...
Old 20th April 2004, 21:17   #16  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@digidragon: Looks nice. I didn't quite get how you disabled the menu bar, and you might want to go a little more into details in the settings. I suppose especially the recordings tab would be of some interest, and perhaps some others like channels/tuning (to manually change something.. not sure this is necessary but on dvb-s you sometimes have to change audio PIDs if a station broadcasts both AC3 and MP2 audio), and what's the network tab for?
Old 20th April 2004, 21:48   #17  |  Link
digidragon

No problem.

I'll make some changes and upload the second draft tomorrow.
Old 20th April 2004, 23:21   #18  |  Link
kayman

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mgracie/

ok here is the my theatre guide attempt one look it over and see if its accetable

kayman
Old 21st April 2004, 09:14   #19  |  Link
digidragon

Okay, draft 2 uploaded - hopefully addressing Mr Doom9's points...

Old 22nd April 2004, 20:03   #20  |  Link
digidragon

And a third draft