Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 15th May 2003, 20:36   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

The Matrix (Region 1) DVD-Split Cheat Sheet by 2COOL

The Matrix (Region 1) DVD Split Movie Cheat Sheet
Courtesy of 2CL

“ You take the blue pill, the story ends...you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland and I'll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.” quote from Morpheus to Neo.

I did this a while back as a draft but never completed it. Just modified a few things to get it back to current standards.

2 DVD Split Objectives
Disk 1:
Chapters 1 – 18 only
Original menu kept and displays upon insert
All audio and subtitles kept
Special Features

Disk 2:
Chapters 19-38 only
Original menu kept but movie plays upon insert
All audio and subtitles kept
No Special Features

Tools I used
For ripping movie to harddrive: DVD Decrypter
For editing the DVD navigations: IfoEdit 0.95

In VIDEO_TS.IFO/First Play PGC/PGC Command Table and edit as follows by right clicking on Pre Command #2 and selecting “Edit Command”. Select (JumpSS_VTSM) Jump to Titleset Menu with Title Nr: 2, TitleSet Nr: 1, Menu: root.

OLD > 2.Pre Command...(JumpTT) Jump to Title: 2.........................................[30 02 00 00 00 02 00 00]
NEW > 2.Pre Command...(JumpSS VTSM) Jump to TitleSet(vts): 2, Title(ttn): 1, root-menu..[30 06 00 01 02 83 00 00]

Go to VTS_02_0.IFO / VTS_PGCITI / VTS_PGC_1 / PGC Command Table and right-left click on Post Command #2 and select “(CallSS_VTSM) Call Titleset Menu” with Menu: root and Resume Cell: 1.

OLD > 2.Post Command...(JumpVTS_TT) Jump to Title: 3............................[30 03 00 00 00 03 00 00]
NEW > 2.Post Command...(CallSS VTSM) Call TitleSet root-menu [Resume Cell: 1]...[30 08 00 00 01 83 00 00]

Details: At the end of movie play on both backup disks, you will be have your main menu displaying.

While VTS_02_0.IFO still selected, press your “VOB Extras” button and have the following checked and press OK when done.

Options:
X Correct Vob-Unit (Navigation Pack) pointers in VOB-files
X Correct Original IFO files
X Split to 2 DVD-Rs

VOB EXPERT Options:
X Remove P-UOps
X Remove Macrovision
X Adjust Ilvu/Angle point.
X Adjust Vob-Unit pointers
X Adjust Audio/Subp point.

VOB Size at 1 GB

File/Directory paths:
Destination directory = Browse to Subfolder “Disk 1” in your “Matrix” folder.
2nd Dest. Directory = Browse to Subfolder “Disk 2” in your “Matrix” folder.

X AutoCopy Menu-files to destination

In next window, first Stream List, click and highlight [Ch 19][Pg 19][Cell 45] as your split point. Also ensure that “Correct IFO tables” files is checked. Press “Split it” button when done.
13. IFOedit will now process so we get to rest. Here’s a tip to make IFOedit process faster. Drag the process window so that the progress bar is below the bottom Windows task bar. You’ll see the %s go by quicker than usual.

In Windows Explorer, we need certain files to belong in your 2 disk folders. So starting with Sub-folder “Disk 2”, copy all VTS_01_*.* files from your “Matrix” folder.

For “Disk 1” folder, to save space, we’ll just drag the following files from your “Matrix” folder.

VTS_01_*.*
VTS_03_*.*

Now, every edits we do at this point will be in our “Disk 1” folder.

15. Open VIDEO_TS.IFO and press “Get VTS Sectors” button.

Go to VTS_02_0.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_2 / PGC Program Map. Change values as follows by double left clicking on Programs 4 to 8. Below is what you should have.

PGC Program Map:
Program_1: Entry cell number 1
Program_2: Entry cell number 2
Program_3: Entry cell number 3
Program_4: Entry cell number 4
Program_5: Entry cell number 4
Program_6: Entry cell number 4
Program_7: Entry cell number 4
Program_8: Entry cell number 4

Details: Menu pages for your Chapters 19 to 38 selections are now disabled.

Now, every edits we do at this point will be in our “Disk 2” folder.

20. Open VIDEO_TS.IFO and press “Get VTS Sectors” button.

Go to VTS_02_0.IFO / VTSM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_2 / PGC Program Map. Change values as follows by double left clicking on Programs 4 to 8. Below is what you should have.

PGC Program Map:
Program_1: Entry cell number 5
Program_2: Entry cell number 5
Program_3: Entry cell number 5
Program_4: Entry cell number 5
Program_5: Entry cell number 5
Program_6: Entry cell number 6
Program_7: Entry cell number 7
Program_8: Entry cell number 8

Details: Menu pages for your Chapters 1 to 18 selections are now disabled. Intro is also disabled.

Go to / VTSM_PGCI_UT / PGC-Menu_3 / PGC Command Table and edit Pre Command #1 as follows.

OLD > 1.Pre Command...If GPreg<10> == (cmp-val)<1><' then Goto line# 5...[00 a1 00 0a 00 01 00 05]
NEW > 1.Pre Command...(LinkPGCN) Link PGC 1..............................[20 04 00 00 00 00 00 01]

Details: PGC-Menu_3 had your Special Features Menu Intro. We’ll jump back to Main Menu before it displays.

Go to VIDEO_TS.IFO / VMGM_MAT / First Play PGC / PGC Command Table and edit as follows.

OLD > 2.Pre Command...(JumpSS VTSM) Jump to TitleSet(vts): 2, Title(ttn): 1, root-menu...[30 06 00 01 02 83 00 00]
NEW > 2.Pre Command...(JumpTT) Jump to Title: 1..........................................[30 02 00 00 00 01 00 00]

OLD > Number of Video Title Sets 3
NEW > Number of Video Title Sets 2

Details: We only have 2 Title Sets in our Disk 2 so we need to change this.

On burning Disk 1 and 2
Burn what works for you but if you want to know how I burnt mine then here’s what I did. I used current Imgtools (not the classic) with current Nero installed so that Imgtools can use its API. The important option in Imgtools is the “Reallocate VIDEO_TS Structure” option. Start with having that check and if you get an error, then do it again with it unchecked.

Last edited by 2COOL; 19th January 2004 at 21:34.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2003, 20:48   #2  |  Link
2COOL

BTW to all,

mikewillnot has previously written another Matrix cheat sheet also which includes button disabling procedures using MenuEdit. Here's the link. Keep up the good work mikewillnot!
Old 15th May 2003, 21:16   #3  |  Link
dznutz1

Great cheat sheet and all, but is it NOT POSSIBLE to simply create 2 dvd's with this movie as this guide
http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-2dvdrs.htm for the Matrix, is that what everyone is trying to say? Do you have to tweak menu's, etc in order to back this particular movie up? I'm confused.
dznutz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2003, 21:32   #4  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by dznutz1
...but is it NOT POSSIBLE to simply create 2 dvd's with this movie as this guide
http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-2dvdrs.htm for the Matrix, is that what everyone is trying to say? Do you have to tweak menu's, etc in order to back this particular movie up? I'm confused.
@dznutz1

That's the guide that started it all and though it's old, it still works. As time passes, people will progress in tweaking it in their own way and come up with different working ways of doing splits. My cheat sheets are my documentation of how I go about using my preferred techniques with my current resources on getting the best DVD backup I want.

The reason I have to modify the menus is because, obviously, the clips that the buttons supposed to play, do not exist on that disk anymore. It's a dead link that produces nothing but errors. If I had chapters 1-18 on disk one and 19-38 on disk 2, why should I have the option to select chapter 38 on disk 1 when the segment is not there anymore? I try to adjust/fix for every scenario that would produce errors down the road.

The sure way to answer your own question is to try all guides and let your mind analyze which one is more appealing and functional to you. They should all work. You'll see the differences and hopefully you'll be enlightened more than confused.

Last edited by 2COOL; 16th May 2003 at 09:24.
Old 15th May 2003, 22:21   #5  |  Link
mikewillnot

Dang, 2COOL. I knew you'd have a slick way to disable the unneeded menu screens. Sometimes I miss the most obvious things. And I like the way you have the split in the middle of the flick, with the non-movie VTS's copied to both discs. I thought that might exceed the size limits on one or both discs. A couple of things about this sheet puzzle me, though.
1. In step 14, you copy all the non-movie VTS's to BOTH discs. In step 22, you disable Special Features for Disc 2. Why? Aren't all the SF's on both discs?
2. Could the Angle features still work on both discs, if the SF's Button weren't disabled?
3. Way minor point: Your steps have the split at Chapter 18/19; your description at the top shows the split at 24/25.
mikewillnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2003, 23:19   #6  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by mikewillnot
1. In step 14, you copy all the non-movie VTS's to BOTH discs. In step 22, you disable Special Features for Disc 2. Why? Aren't all the SF's on both discs?
Only the VTS_03 files were dragged/copied into disk 1, not disk 2. I can't confirm since I'm at work but due to my VTS_02 (movie)split, I couldn't fit VTS_03 unto the second disk because then I would exceed my 4.37 GB limit. It was one or the other and since the menu popped up first on the first disk...
Quote:
2. Could the Angle features still work on both discs, if the SF's Button weren't disabled?
I didn't stripped anything out and I haven't tested the angle features.
Quote:
3. Way minor point: Your steps have the split at Chapter 18/19; your description at the top shows the split at 24/25.
Really? Thanks for pointing that out. Correction done after this post.

Last edited by 2COOL; 16th May 2003 at 01:50.
Old 16th May 2003, 01:13   #7  |  Link
mikewillnot

Quote:
quote:
Only the VTS_03 files were dragged/copied into disk 1, not disk 2. I can't confirm since I'm at work but due to my VTS_02 (movie)split, I couldn't fit VTS_03 unto the second disk because then I would exceed my 4.37 GB limit. It was one or the other and since the menu popped up first on the first disk...
This is pretty much the reasoning I used in my split. You might want to glance again at your step 14. If I'm being a nit-picker, please excuse.
mikewillnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 01:45   #8  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by mikewillnot
This is pretty much the reasoning I used in my split. You might want to glance again at your step 14. If I'm being a nit-picker, please excuse.
No problemo, just play your demo!. This guide is strictly how I do any DVD splits with menus. It all depends on how the Chapter Selection menu pages were laid out. This is my reasoning. I can choose beforehand which disk my special features/bonus materials would reside in.

Last edited by 2COOL; 16th May 2003 at 09:21.
Old 25th May 2003, 00:16   #9  |  Link
jrg

@ 2COOL,

great guide!

Have followed everything to the letter, with one exception. In your step 12, I never get this screen (about Audio and Subtitle) when splitting the DVD with IFOEdit. When i hit the Split button in step 11, IFOEdit goes straight into splititng the Vobs.

Also, I have yet to make a working copy of either disk. This is first time that IfoEdit will play a title flawlessly, but the burned DVD will not play in standalone.

I tried using Imgtools w/ nero installed, but Imgtools never wants to burn w/ Reallocate VTS... turned on.

I know it is not much to go on, but any help would be appreciated or at least a clue on if not getting that screen in step 12 is important.
jrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2004, 03:59   #10  |  Link
orbiter123

2 cool thnx for the pointers, but..

after following the guide, ifo wont play dvd's in preview.

also, if u disable features in disk2 then u wont be able to hear commentary or checkout the behind the scenes footage (follow the white bunny feature).
orbiter123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2004, 21:22   #11  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by orbiter123
2 cool thnx for the pointers, but..

after following the guide, ifo wont play dvd's in preview.

also, if u disable features in disk2 then u wont be able to hear commentary or checkout the behind the scenes footage (follow the white bunny feature).
If time allows me, I'll look into this.