Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th March 2016, 01:16   #36821  |  Link
RenderGuy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Subtitle 3D depth should work just fine with XySubFilter. Or if you're using the MPC-HC/BE internal subtitle renderer, you need to update to the latest MPC-HC/BE nightly build.
Thanks, using XySubFilter worked. For some reason MPC-HC's (1.7.10.101 x64) internal subtitle renderer doesn't render with depth on my system.
RenderGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 01:50   #36822  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyllian View Post
If Shiandow prefer to get rid of all aliasing, he can reverse the changes or add then as an option.
But did I get it right that the changes for pixelart and ringing are two separate things?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 01:56   #36823  |  Link
djfred93

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
amd crimson deint is simply broken it is using a low quality bob. i haven't tested the newest beta yet.

and nvidia deint was kind of "broken" the last time i check and had issue with telecine/hybrid content. the high quality CUVID deint is not usable at all under windows 10.
Can't you just activate it through registery or DXVA Checker ?
djfred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 02:08   #36824  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Yes, the new params slightly add aliasing.
Is having an anti-aliasing filter in future a good idea?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 02:09   #36825  |  Link
Hyllian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
But did I get it right that the changes for pixelart and ringing are two separate things?
The ringing didn't change with new params. The anti-ringing is independent of these params.

If you're comparing anti-ringing codes, then nervermind my comments.
Hyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 02:18   #36826  |  Link
janos666

I had to increase my CPU and GPU queue depths from 4 (my old setting, the minimum allowed) to 8 and activate the "alternative glitch handling" in order to get smooth 3D playback (otherwise, it stuttered like hell with my i5-2500K + 290X + Win10 system).
But now, it works unsurprisingly well (MPC-HC + madVR changed to 3D a lot faster and smoother than PowerDVD [which ends up in 3D with a 50-50 chance after vibrating the screen for several seconds]).
Thank you for this! (Even if 3D is going out of the TV business, I didn't care to watch any 3D content since late 2012, so I have some movies to attend to for this special occasion ).
Separate 3DLUTs would be welcomed though (2D/3D) because my plasma TV behaves extremely differently in 3D mode (but considering how scarce the 3D materials are, it's not that painful to change this manually).
janos666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 02:19   #36827  |  Link
Hyllian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Is having an anti-aliasing filter in future a good idea?
I don't think so.

If you use the old params, you get rid of all aliasing. No need of specific code to get rid of it.

What could upgrade sxbr would be a way to squeeze edge gradients. I've read some papers about it: Source 1, Source 2, Source 3, Source 4, but don't know how to implement a fast way to do it.
Old 12th March 2016, 05:59   #36828  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
What could upgrade sxbr would be a way to squeeze edge gradients. I've read some papers about it, but don't know how to implement a fast way to do it.
Someone else on the forum might be of some help, could be worth creating a new thread.

madshi, NNEDI3 quadrupling is broken with 720 res content.

Regarding max line thinning, since all upscaling refinement options max at 4 I assume you'll just change the degree of strength per point rather than changing the max value like I suggested.
I think you could increase it per point by 25-50%, users would need to update their settings.. but it keeps it all in line then.

Last edited by ryrynz; 12th March 2016 at 11:16.
Old 12th March 2016, 12:17   #36829  |  Link
Neo-XP

Subtitles position

Hi everyone,

When using MadVR with XySubFilter to display subtitles outside of the video area with the option "move subtitles to bottom of the screen/window" of the "zoom control" menu, when an italic subtitle appears (<i> tag), the italic subtitle and all the following subtitles are displayed into active video area.

Can this bug be fixed by madVR ?

Example with a normal subtitle :

Here comes the italic subtitle :

All the following subtitles are placed like this :

Last edited by Neo-XP; 12th March 2016 at 12:33. Reason: Precision
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 12:31   #36830  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
madshi, NNEDI3 quadrupling is broken with 720 res content.

http://i.imgur.com/72PGUbSl.jpg
what should be broken on that screen. there is no word of super sampling in quadruple.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 13:12   #36831  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
There is no word of super sampling in quadruple.
Right.. Didn't expect that limitation.

Guess I'm waiting for support for quadrupling super sampling then.
Old 12th March 2016, 13:16   #36832  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Doubling 720 to 1080p already super samples, I doubt there is much of an improvement to be seen further, not to mention that doubling 1440p once more would be extremely expensive.
Old 12th March 2016, 13:21   #36833  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah higher resolutions would be very expensive no doubt.

Was displaying 960 x 720 content and quadrupled that's not terribly higher than full HD doubled. 3840 x 2880 vs 3840 x 2160.
Old 12th March 2016, 13:23   #36834  |  Link
fedpul

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedpul View Post
Quoting myself, I have done more tests.

Hi madshi, I kept getting black screens with 90.15, with Chroma NNEDI enabled, Doublind disabled, Chroma Jinc and Doubling NNEDI, and obviously with both using NNEDI. I need to check without using NNEDI at all. I always use NNEDI 32 Neurons for the tests. Black screens are really random, first one occurs after more than 50 minutes of playback, so testing requires lots of time.
Hi again madshi, I have been doing more tests. Without using NNEDI at all I get black screens too. I also tried to reset all to default settings and configure everything again and it happens anyway. Also I tried not using 10 bits output (using 8 instead) but it also happens. I am a bit clueless now on what it could be. Also last night when I was testing 8 bit, FSE flashed once showing windowed mode when I was watching a movie without touching anything.

I would like to know what alternative glitch hadling does, I have it unckecked.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 13:25   #36835  |  Link
huhn

that's a lot more pixel than UHD.

and what do you even want to do at that resolution with a source that is at best worth 720p?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 13:57   #36836  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
The ringing didn't change with new params. The anti-ringing is independent of these params.

If you're comparing anti-ringing codes, then nervermind my comments.
I wanted to check if the new anti-ringing has any negative effect in more test images, since it seems to be working extremely fine in one cartoon example I got.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 14:29   #36837  |  Link
Hyllian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
When watched very closely or with some magnification, madVR shows less aliasing.
But I guess this is due to the tweaked parameters by Hilian, and not because of his improved anti-ringing filter. I think there's not such a case where the anti-ringing filter would remove actual details in a crucial way.
You're right, they're unrelated.
Old 12th March 2016, 15:57   #36838  |  Link
James Freeman

madshi, continuing the discussion from AVS, may I suggest some idea about HDR to SDR conversion;

If reference white is still 100 nit then everything below it should look the same for HDR and SDR.
If you will, you can try to tweak your algorithm so that 90 nit and below remains the same (unchanges) and the last 10 nit will compress all the data from the HDR video.
The ratio can be changed for example 70 and 30, but the point is that the lower part should remain unchanged, or mostly unchanged.

Your algo as you mentioned also fixes the colors as it compresses HDR to SDR but I don't know how it will work out with the way I suggested, if at all, thugh it may not matter that much because only the last 10 or 30 nit will have to remap.

From what I see now with the current algorithm even the darkest parts like night sky form Life of Pi HDR demo changes.
The night sky in this demo only look black as they should when I select 1,300 nits for my display which matches the mastering display from the metadata.

Last edited by James Freeman; 12th March 2016 at 16:18.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 16:27   #36839  |  Link
KoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
Hi everyone,

When using MadVR with XySubFilter to display subtitles outside of the video area with the option "move subtitles to bottom of the screen/window" of the "zoom control" menu, when an italic subtitle appears (<i> tag), the italic subtitle and all the following subtitles are displayed into active video area.

Can this bug be fixed by madVR ?

Example with a normal subtitle :

Here comes the italic subtitle :

All the following subtitles are placed like this :

If I remember this right, madshi was looking at some point for someone who has this issue, because he could not reproduce it.

If you could post the subtitle file, and the settings.bin from the madVR folder to some web upload service (I use wikisend as it's fast and free of dangerous and intrusive ads, but anything else can be used instead), and also take screenshots with the madVR OSD active (Ctrl + J) so that your scaling settings are visible, that will likely help.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2016, 18:14   #36840  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Jinc downscaling looks great, but dear lord is it slow. Had to go back to Catmull Rom.

Hopefully it can be optimized a bit in the future.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling