Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10th April 2008, 14:48   #4241  |  Link
DoomBot

I have done this as well converting it to dts in 1 step and get the same results. It took 1 sec because its a small test file i use from ghost rider and as far as the .wav with no name that doesnt really matter at this piont its a test and no more.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:16   #4242  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe62 View Post
Madshi,

A good example of this happening is in Ocean's Thirteen. One of the gang are in a Mexican town and are speaking Spanish. I only cottoned on because someone I was watching it with had seen the DVD and said "err, I think there are supposed to be subtitles here".

I think the subtitles for this movie won't start until around the 37 minute mark.

Hope this helps!
Actually although there is no foreign dialogue until well into the film, that one is fine, because they also use the subtitle stream for captions. the first one is right at the start - "Valencia, ca. 2:43am"

One good one though is Mission Impossible iii, where the first is @00:44:02.

The Simpson's movie is great - it has just has two subtitles (forced), for some tweating birds - "We're going to need more birds." and for "Santa's Little Helper" - , "I did things no dog should do". The first is @00:47:18 . That is Blu-ray so doesn't really count, but you can see that it is inevitable this will (and does) happen. We need a way of trapping it.

For DVDs I check with PgcEdit to see if there is a forced stream and if so make sure I rip it, and force it. It should be possible to interrogate HD-DVD in the same way. Isn't it?!

Last edited by Jong; 10th April 2008 at 15:54.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:24   #4243  |  Link
Jong

@Madshi, Thanks very much for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
In such a situation eac3to will fail to find the subtitle stream. Do you have a list of movies where this can happen? I need a way to reproduce such a problem on my PC, then I can fix it.
See above for some discs that show the problem. I see you have another from nautilus7. I must admit I just assumed EVO Demux would get it right, but it seems I was wrong about that. Still, it does really need a solution. I hope you can fix it.

Quote:
That was when I wrote madFlac. Later I was told that madFlac works better than ffdshow in some cases. E.g. I got reports that ffdshow sometimes had audio drops or things like that while madFlac worked well.

Also I just checked: ffdshow seems to only output 16bit. This is a limitation of the libav decoder. libav audio processing is generally limited to 16bit (unless it is hacked to support higher bitdepths). madFlac always outputs the native bitdepth of the FLAC file.
Thanks! I will add madFLAC to my guide.

Quote:
The latest eac3to version always copies the log file to the destination folder.
Yep, but my problem is that if I use "eac3to f:\ 1)" to simply get a stream listing I am not specifying a destination directory! Could we add it like "eac3to f:\ 1) c:\destination\log.txt" or even just "eac3to f:\ 1) c:\destination"

Last edited by Jong; 10th April 2008 at 15:47.
Old 10th April 2008, 17:33   #4244  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by umaximus View Post
How come there is no sync issues with ''copy /b'' & tsRemux on seamless branching discs (i have made several titles like ratt, deja vu, cars, etc, with no playback problems)?
As was mentioned before, it depends on which soundtrack you are listening to.

If you chose the LPCM track, then the most overlap you will get between segments is 5 ms. So, in the case of rat, there are 8 or so (I can't remember exactly), which means you will get, at most, 40 milliseconds of audio desynchronization. And most people will not notice that.

But if you listen to the AC3 track (up to 32 ms overlap is possible), I bet you will get a desync of 100-200 ms by the end of the movie, and you WILL notice that.
Old 10th April 2008, 19:46   #4245  |  Link
DoomBot

So then what is the best way to encode a pcm to dts with out having problems?
Old 10th April 2008, 20:09   #4246  |  Link
nautilus7

You can also try xport to demux the pcm audio and then eac3to to encode to dts. Xport worked for many people before.

You didn't tell (or at least i can't find) what happened with the pcm to wav convertion. Does the wav sound ok?
Old 10th April 2008, 20:15   #4247  |  Link
DoomBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
You can also try xport to demux the pcm audio and then eac3to to encode to dts. Xport worked for many people before.

You didn't tell (or at least i can't find) what happened with the pcm to wav convertion. Does the wav sound ok?

No even the demuxed mono wav files sound bad and i tried xport like you said but it didnt work, it was saying error or bad frame something like that all the way through it. I really want to be able to do this i have many movies with pcm and this is the only one i have tried to convert a pcm track, i did the truehd from this movie with no problems at all sounds great but have many movies that have just pcm and would like to convert them.

Although no i did not try to demux the pcm from the movie file it self with xport maybe ill try that instead. I demuxed the pcm with tsremux i thought that was the same.

Last edited by DoomBot; 10th April 2008 at 20:18.
Old 10th April 2008, 20:28   #4248  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post
I have made a .wav file and when I open it sonic scenerist detects it as a lpcm file but complains the channel mapping is wrong. I assume When I make the beowulf.eac3 file I need to add the -0,1,2,3,4,5 at the end.
Using the eac3to channel remapping parameter won't make any difference on Scenarist accepting the file! I think Scenarist probably doesn't like the way eac3to writes the WAV file. Try rewriting the WAV file with WaveWizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Yep, but my problem is that if I use "eac3to f:\ 1)" to simply get a stream listing I am not specifying a destination directory! Could we add it like "eac3to f:\ 1) c:\destination\log.txt" or even just "eac3to f:\ 1) c:\destination"
Why do you need this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post
So then what is the best way to encode a pcm to dts with out having problems?
The best way is to not use TsRemuxer for PCM demuxing because TsRemux is known to make problems with PCM tracks. Use xport or eac3to for demuxing. If you use eac3to, you can even demux and save to WAVs in one step.
Old 10th April 2008, 20:41   #4249  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
Why do you need this?
I would not describe it as urgent by any means at all, but have a look at my guide. I want to get a stream list before doing any demuxing. It is simply inelegant to have to dig this one log file out of the eac3to program folder when all other working files are somewhere else.

Logically it would make sense to be able to type "eac3to f:\ 1) c:\destination\log.txt" and have it stick the list where the others are. By the way, it might also be good if it included the title number in the name automatically e.g. "log(1).txt" so working on a second ot third title does not overwrite the stream list.

But, I do agree this is all third or fourth order stuff!
Old 10th April 2008, 20:59   #4250  |  Link
DoomBot

Quote:

The best way is to not use TsRemuxer for PCM demuxing because TsRemux is known to make problems with PCM tracks. Use xport or eac3to for demuxing. If you use eac3to, you can even demux and save to WAVs in one step.
Thanks, ill give this a shot and report back.
Old 10th April 2008, 23:43   #4251  |  Link
drmpeg

Just FYI, you can use Goldwave to play raw LPCM files if there are only two channels. In xport, there's an option to output only two channels for this.

xport -h2 00052.m2ts 1 1 1

Then in Goldwave, when you open bits0001.mpa, chose file type: raw, attributes: PCM signed 16 or 24 bit, big endian, stereo and rate: 48000 in the File Format dialog box.

Ron
Old 11th April 2008, 02:03   #4252  |  Link
DoomBot

Well i finally got it, you were right madshi it was tsremux that was giving me the problem pcm file. I have successfully taken a pcm file and encoded it to a dts track and it sounds awesome!!

Thanks for help!
Old 11th April 2008, 11:20   #4253  |  Link
deathlord

Concerning lpcm:
I have had problems demuxing that with both tsremux and tsmuxer, the results were not accepted by eac3to. Now that eac3to allows demuxing of m(2)ts, this might no longer be a problem. If, for some reason, eac3to should fail demuxing, you can try the following:
Remux your files to m2ts using tsmuxer or tsremux and then use xport to demux audio or video.
The resulting files should be accepted by eac3to.
This has saved my day quite a few times for several audio and video formats.
Old 11th April 2008, 14:31   #4254  |  Link
DoomBot

I never have any luck with xport i must be doing something wrong, what is it that you have to select in that software to make it run properly?
Old 11th April 2008, 16:27   #4255  |  Link
DoomBot

How do you select what audio track you want to encode if there are more than one in the movie file?

using eac3to
Old 11th April 2008, 20:21   #4256  |  Link
Jong

Have a look at my guide here:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15543
Old 11th April 2008, 22:08   #4257  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

another little request, would it be possible to demux the truehd track (or both tracks) from an already demuxed blu-ray truehd/ac3 track, which has been created with xport? so basically a function which seperates both tracks in order to get rid of the interconnected .ac3. or can this demuxing only be done from the .evo or .m2ts source?

edit: while -demux doesnt work, i see that just specifying the truehd track as input and output seem to do this job already, am I right or would that output be somehow different if demuxing would be done from the source?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 11th April 2008 at 22:11.
Old 11th April 2008, 23:23   #4258  |  Link
drmpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post
I never have any luck with xport i must be doing something wrong, what is it that you have to select in that software to make it run properly?
For Blu-ray files:

xport -h filename.m2ts 1 1 1

The -h is critical for .m2ts files. Otherwise, you get a zillion errors.

A couple of tricks:

1) Put xport.exe in c:\windows. That will make it work in any directory.

2) If you're not getting the audio track that you want, you can abort xport (or any command line program) with Ctrl-c. You don't have to wait for it to finish.

Ron
Old 12th April 2008, 05:15   #4259  |  Link
pbjr

Quote:
Hmmmmm... Are you sure that this is not a bug in mplayer? What happens if you convert the TrueHD track to another format, e.g. to AC3? Is the channel mapping then wrong, too?
madshi,

Thank you for the reply.

I converted TrueHD -> AC-3 like you suggested. The channel mapping was correct through mplayer (ubuntu - primary os).

I then moved on and booted into Vista and tried another movie (300) with TrueHD converted to FLAC. This time using MPC HC with the madFLAC filter. The channel mapping was correct!

Tried the same file in VLC (windows) and the channel mapping was wrong just like the ubuntu mplayer. I believe mplayer and VLC use the same ffmpeg for decoding. Is this the problem? Are there different flac decoding filters out there?

I figured out that mplayer has the channels correct when I use eac3to with "-0,1,4,5,2,3". I had to do this with both 300 and Constantine.

Something is not right here... What do you recommend I do next?

Thanks,
PBjr.

UPDATE:
I think I figured it out. It's with mplayer. Found this in the documentation.

3.6.2.1. General information

Unfortunately, there is no standard for how channels are ordered. The orders listed below are those of AC-3 and are fairly typical; try them and see if your source matches. Channels are numbered starting with 0.

surround 5.1
0. left front
1. right front
2. left rear
3. right rear
4. center front
5. subwoofer

Last edited by pbjr; 13th April 2008 at 01:31.
Old 12th April 2008, 06:14   #4260  |  Link
The_Savior

First post here. I'm a bit confused (or possibly running into issues) trying to take TrueHD and convert it to DTS. The process runs fine in eac3to and then I use mkvmerge to take and patch video and audio files together again.

Problem is when I go to run the mka file in MPC it doesn't work. I can run .evo's fine, but anything converted just hangs.

Any ideas to why this is? I'm new to all of this and most of the information is very helpful.

Thanks!
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to