Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st January 2004, 07:43   #21  |  Link
ookzDVD
DVD Rebuilder!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sirber
raac or racp it's trying to download?
it's just .rmvb which produced by your Real Anime.
ookzDVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2004, 19:01   #22  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I think RealAnime uses HE-AAC, so please see the "Playback problems with HE-AAC" in the FAQ in thread on the Real 10 Platform : "RealPlayer 10 can not currently play back HE-AAC in RM due to two bugs: 1) the AAC renderer plugin does not recognize the 4cc racp for HE-AAC, triggering an auto-update request. Hex-edit to raac is possible. However, then 2) raac.dll will crash, due to another bug. Both bugs have been fixed, and will be included in the Gold release of RealPlayer 10."

Neither of these bugs affect how MPC plays back AAC or HE-AAC, even when it uses raac."

The detailed explanation of what happens here is that #2 triggers the download request. This is a problem in the renderer for AAC which does not recognize the 4cc racp (for HE-AAC), even though the decoder DLL raac.dll can correctly decode it. However, if you hex-edit the file to have 4cc 'raac', it should only freeze the playback or crash the player. Both bugs have already been fixed, but a new release of the fixed DLLs will not happen until the Gold release of RealPlayer 10. In the meantime, you should be able to use Media Player Classic to play back HE-AAC in RM.

I will update the FAQ with this information. thanks!

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 1st February 2004 at 14:55.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2004, 07:32   #23  |  Link
31 Flavas
RV10 Nerd

Does the new version of RealPlayer10 beta released because of security vulnerabilities include the fixes for he-acc playback? Or do we still have to wait until the Gold release for the he-acc playback fixes?
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2004, 07:48   #24  |  Link
karl_lillevold

I just checked that earlier today, and unfortunately it includes only the realsched.exe fix + those security fixes. The HE-AAC fix was probably not categorized as critical. It will be included in Gold.
Old 6th February 2004, 18:37   #25  |  Link
l.s

The RealPlayer is using the wrong folder as temp dir on Systems >= NT5. Is there any chance, to direct the temp folder to the local settings folder of a user, for all users of a system/domain (and keep the path relative to the profiles dir of the current user). It is a real problem, when all those temp data is squeezed through the network, when using server based profiles.

Is there any chance to disable (or move the position) the clip cache during the installation? As no normal user has write permission, where it is located.

Regards, Lars
l.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 18:22   #26  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Lars: I have not run into those issues, but I understand they can be problematic. I will file bug reports for both, but I do not know how they will be prioritized. Thanks!
Old 13th February 2004, 16:38   #27  |  Link
Demi9OD

http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=d9 no longer is a direct download, it attemts to launch some kind of download manager IE plugin, but it's not working at all for me. Two days ago when I downloaded it, there was a direct link.
Demi9OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2004, 16:53   #28  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Works #1 with Mozilla Firebird

http://forms.real.com/netzip/fromrde...l_rp10&rppr=d9
Old 13th February 2004, 16:57   #29  |  Link
thop

Still works for me with IE.
thop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2004, 03:55   #30  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by Demi9OD
http://www.real.com/freeplayer/?rppr=d9 no longer is a direct download, it attemts to launch some kind of download manager IE plugin, but it's not working at all for me. Two days ago when I downloaded it, there was a direct link.
Odd, it has been working for a long time now. But I never use IE, where it will try to launch some kind of download manager. I stick with Opera, to support my friends in Oslo

P.S. Going right to www.real.com is not that bad any longer. Try if you like. The first time you go there you get a big orange button offering to Download the Free Player. And it does! However, a couple of reloads, the button changes to Download the Player. Then you are taken to a 2nd page, which on 2/3 offers the Premium Player, and one the gray 1/3 page to the right, offers the Free Player (with no more hassle than that). I'd say it's better than before.
Old 16th February 2004, 20:21   #31  |  Link
bond

moved to the software player forum, as it isnt really related to codec issues

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 06:06   #32  |  Link
karl_lillevold

RealPlayer 10 Gold is now available for download. http://www.real.com. By default RealPlayer 10 now rips music CDs to AAC at 192 kbps in the M4A (MP4) container format. The M4A container format is iPod compatible. Thanks to the feedback from hydrogenaudio and doom9! It was part of the reason M4A was chosen.

This is a bug fix release, with not that many new features since Beta. For instance the HE-AAC playback bug is now fixed and the DLL update from Helix Binary Downloads is no longer needed.

Here is a list of some changes:
Code:
  *  Support for AAC (M4A) files, which includes library import, 
     playback, CD ripping, CD burning, and transfer to portable devices.

*  Users can now simultaneously burn a CD and playback a media clip.

*  Users can initiate playback of a file that's being download using 
     another application ("progressive download").

*  Installation speed has been improved and the number of icons 
     installed on the user's machine has been reduced.

*  RP10 detects changes in network settings and prompts the user to 
     set bandwidth, which improves playback if the bandwidth has changed 
     (such as a laptop that is disconnected from a LAN).

*  Improved user interface to make Transfer and Synchronization easier 
     with portable devices.

*  Support for third-party store content including nodes in the Library 
     to catalog a variety of purchased content types (movies, 
     audio books, etc.).

*  A variety of improvements to Help, How To, Tell Me More, and More Info.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 26th March 2004 at 02:04.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 11:18   #33  |  Link
bond

great news, karl

now we only need mpeg-4 video decoding back! (dont take me too serious )

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 21:23   #34  |  Link
kamiller42

Thank you Karl and all of the Real Networks & Helix developers! I've been enjoying RealJukebox and RealPlayer for years.

Karl,

It is nice to see RA & AAC support. In an earlier thread, you and I discussed an optimal compression level for a music library. I was settled on 192 RA because it was actually AAC. Now there is 192 AAC and 192 RA. Is 192 RA still AAC? What is the difference between the two?

P.S. Would you know of a good skin for use on a HTPC? RP is my HTPC jukebox, but the standard skin is not NTSC TV friendly.
kamiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 22:56   #35  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Thanks! It is nice to hear feedback like this.

192 kbps RealAudio is also AAC, just in the RealMedia container format, so the difference is in the container format only. One can losslessly convert from one to the other and back. If you have the Plus player this functionality should be built in there, maybe also in standard player, but I have not yet verified this myself. The dtdrive cmd line tool works as well.

I am sorry I don't know any good skins for HTPC. How is the skin not NTSC friendly? Too small resolution details being lost in interlace flicker, or too large frames?
Old 26th March 2004, 03:19   #36  |  Link
kamiller42

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
Thanks! It is nice to hear feedback like this.

192 kbps RealAudio is also AAC, just in the RealMedia container format, so the difference is in the container format only.
That's what I figured. I was worried for a moment that Real decided to stay with Cook for all .RA files and put AAC support in its own container. Unless you can tell me what advantage there is of a Real container over M4A, I'm going to use M4A as my next library format. Of course, the help file explains as little as possible about the difference between audio formats, leaving the reader scratching his head and asking "And?!" :-(

Quote:
I am sorry I don't know any good skins for HTPC. How is the skin not NTSC friendly? Too small resolution details being lost in interlace flicker, or too large frames?
The problems I have with the interface on a tv are the following:
1. Too much white making a difficult situation worse.
2. Fonts can't be sized making it very difficult to read the media browser and other GUI widgets because the font is so small.
3. Buttons need to be larger to allow easy clicking when manuvering the mouse with a remote or at best, a Gyration mouse in the air.

I kind of wish Real did get into HTPC software market like SnapStream or myHTPC, but I guess selling media is the direction Real's going. Nothing wrong with that, but...
Old 2nd April 2004, 14:27   #37  |  Link
iradic

hi...

is there any reason to dload new real-player 10 ... i have beta with all updates ... (it's 9 mb and i'm on dial-up 56k)

for riping and burning audio cd's i use other tools... so i use player only for watching rmedia videos...

thanks
iradic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2004, 07:23   #38  |  Link
kamiller42

Quote:
Originally posted by iradic
hi...

is there any reason to dload new real-player 10 ... i have beta with all updates ... (it's 9 mb and i'm on dial-up 56k)
More than likely includes bug fixes. It's a free download. Go for it! :-)
Old 5th April 2004, 08:11   #39  |  Link
wata

is realplayer going to add stretch support, i hate black border on the left and right screen
wata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2004, 06:23   #40  |  Link
kamiller42

Quote:
Originally posted by wata
is realplayer going to add stretch support, i hate black border on the left and right screen
Are you maximizing the screen or going to Full Screen? I have noticed the bars in full screen.