Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 25th January 2019, 14:59   #4421  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

The reason Avs+ is slower on a 32-bit non-SSE machine might also be because IIRC a bunch of ancient MMX optimizations that were at best completely useless on any sort of reasonable hardware were removed from Avs+ pretty early on. Don't expect software that is actually maintained to keep optimization for ancient hardware forever.

If Avs+ is slower on an i5 though you're probably doing something wrong.
Old 25th January 2019, 15:05   #4422  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
If Avs+ is slower on an i5 though you're probably doing something wrong.
It's not. In the example above, heavy use of mvtools mainly contributes to the speed. Simple internal operations such as resizing are much faster with AVS+.
Old 25th January 2019, 15:07   #4423  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Plus, if you have a x64 capable CPU, I strongly suggest to jump on x64 train, where FPS can see up to 10-25% increase. Nowadays a Windows 10 x64 Pro license can be found on Amazon for a few bucks. Nonsense to stay on ancient XP.
Old 25th January 2019, 15:42   #4424  |  Link
manolito

Sorry I really cannot live without a couple of older 32-bit plugins. AVS64 is definitely not for me...
Old 25th January 2019, 15:59   #4425  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
Sorry I really cannot live without a couple of older 32-bit plugins.
Just curious - which ones?
Old 25th January 2019, 16:01   #4426  |  Link
ChaosKing

Can you give an example? I never found a non working plugin for avs+.
Old 26th January 2019, 05:25   #4427  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
The most important one is LogoAway which is a 32-bit VDub plugin. Easy to use, very nice results and relatively fast. I tried most of the available logo removers, and this one did beat them all.

I just glanced over the list of available 64-bit AVS plugins, and this list has grown considerably. With a little effort I could probably find 64-bit replacements for most of my plugins. But there is another reason why I am not going to do this:

I do video conversions on at least 3 different computers. There's the notorious ancient WinXP machine, there is one Win7-32 laptop (only 2GB Ram, the 64-bit Win7 version is too slow on this laptop, constant swapping), and another Win7-64bit laptop with 8GB RAM. I have no intention to maintain 3 different AVS plugins folders, it is hard enough for me to maintain just one plugins folder. Getting working plugin versions for several scripts like QTGMC, LSFMod, Srestore or Finesharp took me a long time, and I want to keep this configuration. I know that if everything works on the WinXP machine then it will also work on the other computers. Maybe a little bit slower than it could, but no headaches for me.

Cheers
manolito
Old 26th January 2019, 05:32   #4428  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosKing View Post
Can you give an example? I never found a non working plugin for avs+.
What tormento suggested is go the 64-bit route exclusively. For AVS+ the installer suggests to install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions in parallel (of course only if a 64-bit OS is detected).

While having both versions installed at the same time is possible, you can not mix 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in the same script. It's either one or the other, you need to keep the plugins separate.

Cheers
manolito
Old 26th January 2019, 07:47   #4429  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
The most important one is LogoAway which is a 32-bit VDub plugin. Easy to use, very nice results and relatively fast. I tried most of the available logo removers, and this one did beat them all.

I just glanced over the list of available 64-bit AVS plugins, and this list has grown considerably. With a little effort I could probably find 64-bit replacements for most of my plugins. But there is another reason why I am not going to do this:

I do video conversions on at least 3 different computers. There's the notorious ancient WinXP machine, there is one Win7-32 laptop (only 2GB Ram, the 64-bit Win7 version is too slow on this laptop, constant swapping), and another Win7-64bit laptop with 8GB RAM. I have no intention to maintain 3 different AVS plugins folders, it is hard enough for me to maintain just one plugins folder. Getting working plugin versions for several scripts like QTGMC, LSFMod, Srestore or Finesharp took me a long time, and I want to keep this configuration. I know that if everything works on the WinXP machine then it will also work on the other computers. Maybe a little bit slower than it could, but no headaches for me.

Cheers
manolito
It might be a good time to buy new computers

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113480

Ryzen 5 4-core/8 threads for $150, that will fix all your problem. Heck you can probably build three under $1000.
Old 26th January 2019, 14:26   #4430  |  Link
real.finder

Quote:

While having both versions installed at the same time is possible, you can not mix 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in the same script. It's either one or the other, you need to keep the plugins separate.

Cheers
manolito
you can mix 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in the same script with mpp (mp_pipeline), you can even run avs+ inside it even if you have old avs installed by using "### dll:"
Old 26th January 2019, 14:36   #4431  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
AFAIK, MCTD is 32-bit only so far. However, MP Pipeline lets you use it in an otherwise x64 process.
Old 26th January 2019, 23:22   #4432  |  Link
poisondeathray

MTCD works ok in avs+ x64 , just not higher bit depths (except in vapoursynth)

hdragc is one that is still x86 only (but you can get similar results with smoothcurve x64)
Old 31st January 2019, 00:01   #4433  |  Link
wonkey_monkey
Formerly davidh*****

Using multiline syntax (".\"), is there any way to comment out a line in the middle of a set of lines? For example:

Code:
version.\
fliphorizontal.\
flipvertical.\
killaudio
Is there any way to comment out the fliphorizontal line without affecting parsing of the rest of the script?

I don't know how much use multiline syntax gets, but I'm guessing it may have originally been something of an after-thought. Semi-colon termination would be so nice...
Old 31st January 2019, 00:44   #4434  |  Link
qyot27
...?

C-style /* */ works:
Code:
Version()/*.\
FlipHorizontal()*/.\
FlipVertical().\
KillAudio()
[* *] are also allowed as comment delimiters as well.

Although on something that simple (for exposition's sake) I wouldn't bother with the .\ style multiline syntax at all, and use the standard multiline form:
Code:
Version()
#FlipHorizontal()
FlipVertical()
KillAudio()
In the above, /* and */ could also be used, and would format more sanely, since they'd be contained to just the FlipHorizontal() line.
Old 31st January 2019, 14:48   #4435  |  Link
Stereodude

Was there an issue before with the dithering when reducing the color depth in AVIsynth+ (4:2:0 chroma formats) that was fixed? I noticed some vertical banding in the output video when dithering was enabled with SD/REC.601 previously with build 2700. I didn't see it in HD/REC.709 content. However, with the latest build 2772 AVIsynth+ I don't see it anymore.
Old 31st January 2019, 14:59   #4436  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Stereodude, see Changelog for current & prev versions via Pinterf (via his sig) on github / releases :- https://github.com/pinterf/AviSynthPlus/releases

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Old 31st January 2019, 15:26   #4437  |  Link
pinterf

I don't remember any issues or coding activities connected to dithering.
Old 31st January 2019, 15:34   #4438  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
Stereodude, see Changelog for current & prev versions via Pinterf (via his sig) on github / releases :- https://github.com/pinterf/AviSynthPlus/releases
I didn't see anything listed that would directly explain my observations. Hence the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinterf View Post
Weird... Oh well, I'm not seeing it now.
Old 31st January 2019, 22:46   #4439  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
In the above, /* and */ could also be used
I use /* */ everyday to comment out multiple lines.
For the sake of coding, // would also be appreciated to have available as comment instead of using just "#" for single line commands, just to feel a bit more like C++ and C#.

Quote:
Speaking of Dithering, will other dithering algorithms be added in the near future? You know, like the Stucki error diffusion and the Atkinson error diffusion?
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy with the current Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion as it's one of the best dithering algorithms, but what if people need/would like to use other dithering algorithms?
After all, back when the world was 8bit stacked, 8 dithering methods were available.

Last edited by FranceBB; 31st January 2019 at 22:50.
Old 1st February 2019, 00:18   #4440  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Quote:
// would also be appreciated
Bad idea at this late date. Too much potential to f*** up stuff, eg script scanning apps like AvsPMod, Avisynthesizer etc.
Also, adds nothing to the language.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
Closed Thread