Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 27th April 2015, 10:49   #3201  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

And the inputs for tag/chapter/timecode/segmentinfo files. Etc. Basically everywhere which is not a file dialog.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 6th May 2015, 01:13   #3202  |  Link
Megalith

Where is the option to ignore the AC3 core track from being included from a TrueHD track?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. Obviously you can just uncheck the AC3 stream in the Input options...

Last edited by Megalith; 6th May 2015 at 03:47.
Old 6th May 2015, 01:55   #3203  |  Link
ndjamena

MakeMKV is complaining bitterly about any VC-1 track that has been remux using MKVMerge, so far the only difference I can see using MKVInfo is that the first frame in the MKVMerge file is 33 bytes longer for some reason. The file was originally created by MakeMKV then remuxed by MKVMerge, so is this added 33 bytes expected?

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9039
Old 10th May 2015, 15:12   #3204  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v7.9.0 released

Hey,

I've released MKVToolNix v7.9.0.

First of all a note to all Windows users: I've renamed the downloads slightly. They're now named e.g. mkvtoolnix-32bit-7.9.0-setup.exe etc. The difference is that 64bit builds use …-64bit-… instead of …-amd64-… and that the 32bit builds include their architecture (-32bit-) in their name for the first time. This was done in order to reduce the confusion sown by the term »amd64« which denotes the processor architecture but not the manufacturer. Many people weren't aware of that differentiation.

As for the changes in this release: A couple of important bugs have been fixed, e.g. a very old bug in handling MPEG-1/2 video preventing the detection of such tracks; if --sync was used at the same time as --default-duration then --sync was ignored; mkvinfo's exit codes were wrong (this may trip up frontends using mkvinfo!); handling of E-AC3 in MPEG transport stream in certain situations etc. See below for all the details.

Since the previous release a serious amount of work has gone into the new GUI, MKVToolNix GUI. It has reached a state in which I consider it fit for wider use. I've therefore removed the preview warning and included it in all the packages that I provide (both Windows and Linux).

If everything goes according to plan then the next release, 8.0.0, will see the old GUI (mmg, mkvmerge GUI) be marked as being deprecated – meaning there will be a popup message warning you about this fact when you start mmg. Two releases later, with 8.2.0, the old GUI will finally be removed among with all support for the wxWidgets toolkit.

Of course all of this depends on the number and seriousness of bugs found in the new GUI Therefore these plans are not set in stone.

Changes for package maintainers: configure will now detect the presence of the Qt libraries version 5.2.0 or later by default and use them if they're found. This means that at the moment both GUIs (mmg and MKVToolNix GUI) will be built unless you tell configure otherwise. There are several switches that deal with the various toolkits:
  1. --disable-gui – don't build any GUI support, neither wxWidgets nor Qt based (same as for the previous releases)
  2. --disable-wxwidgets – don't build wxWidgets-based GUIs (mkvinfo's wxWidgets frontend, mmg)
  3. --disable-qt – don't build Qt-based GUIs (mkvinfo's Qt frontend, MKVToolNix GUI)
  4. --without-mkvtoolnix-gui – build mkvinfo's Qt-based frontend but not MKVToolNix GUI

The two different frontends for mkvinfo are mutually exclusive with the Qt-based version taking precedence over the wxWidgets-based version.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer and portable version and the source code.

All binaries that I provide have been uploaded already.

Here's the full ChangeLog since the previous release:

Quote:
2015-05-10 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v7.9.0.
* build system: configure will now check for Qt by default. If at least v5.2.0 is found then the Qt versions of mkvinfo's GUI and the new mkvtoolnix-gui will be enabled. You can affect this detection with the options --disable-gui (turns off all GUIs; works the same as before), --disable-qt (will compile the wxWidgets GUI for mkvinfo and mmg) and --without-mkvtoolnix-gui (will compile the Qt version of mkvinfo's GUI but no mkvtoolnix-gui).

2015-05-07 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvinfo: bug fix: mkvinfo would exit with the wrong return code (0 instead of 2) if a non-existing file name had been given. Fixes #1182.

2015-05-05 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: Two more characters are now escaped in the container and track properties output in verbose identification mode: [ is replaced with \b and ] with \B. This is needed for reliable parsing by other programs, e.g. GUIs.

2015-05-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: added context menu entries for tracks: »select all«, »enable all« and »disable all«.

2015-05-02 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented aborting the currently running job.

2015-04-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all: fix compilation on Mac OS in common/command_line.cpp due to boost::range::filtered requiring a copyable functor. Fixes #1175.
* all: fix compilation on Mac OS in common/version.cpp due to wrong usage of std::stringstream and ostream operators. Fixes #1176.

2015-04-27 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented the »additional command line options« dialog.

2015-04-25 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature in the chapter editor: added features »set the language/country of the selected chapter and its sub-chapters«.

2015-04-24 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all: bug fix: fixed compilation with Boost 1.58.0. Fixes #1172.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed a segmentation fault during cleanup after Ctrl+C was pressed. Fixes #1173.

2015-04-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature in the chapter editor: added features »clamping time stamps of sub-chapters to their parent's time stamps«, »expanding time stamps of chapters to encompass their sub-chapters' time stamps« and »shifting start and end time stamps by an offset«.

2015-04-22 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* all: permanently removed the build times tamp from the version information and the corresponding configure option.

2015-04-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: the main window's size, position and state (maximized/minimized) is saved on exit and restored on startup.
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: the GUI is now fully translatable. The German translation has been completed for the GUI, too.

2015-04-17 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed --sync not doing anything if --default-duration is used for the same track, too.

2015-04-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed aborting file identification with an error message about »aac_error_protection_specific_config« that happened for some files. Fixes #1166.

2015-04-15 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented changing the interface language.

2015-04-13 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: implemented often used subtitle character sets.
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: implemented setting a user configurable subtitle character set by default.
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: implemented the automatic removal of jobs configurable by the user.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: fixed specifying track properties like language or name for AC3 cores embedded in TrueHD tracks when they're read from raw thd+ac3 files. Fixes #1158.
* mkvmerge: enhancement for MPEG program stream handling: mkvmerge will only look for additional files automatically if the source file begins with »VTS_…« and just if it ends in a number. E.g. when reading »video_1.mpg« another file called »video_2.mpg« will no longer be read automatically. Implements #1164.

2015-04-12 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: display country names in addition to country codes.
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: implemented often used languages and country codes.
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor enhancement: implemented defaults for the language and country settings for newly created chapter names.
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: added controls for mkvmerge's »reduce audio to its core« and »force NALU size length« features.
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented the »Preferences« dialog (not all of the functionality the options refer to has been implemented yet, though).

2015-04-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: MPEG-1/2 parser: fixed a long-standing issue that prevented mkvmerge from recognizing certain MPEG-1/2 video tracks and files if the frame's sequence numbers didn't follow a certain expected pattern. Fixes #1162 and probably others like #1145 or #1099.
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: Implemented adding and append files and adding files as additional parts via drag & drop from external applications.
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool bug fix: fixed the column headers on the »attachments« tab.

2015-04-10 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor enhancement: implemented opening files via drag & drop from external applications.
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: The portable Windows version will store its settings in a file in the same folder instead of the registry.
* MKVToolNix GUI: enhancement: Qt's »Windows Vista« style is now used on Windows instead of the old, Windows 98-like »Windows« style.
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: The merge tool has been re-written to be tabbed like the header and chapter editors allowing for multiple merge job settings to be open at the same time.

2015-04-08 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: chapter editor enhancement: implemented re-ordering chapters and editions with drag & drop.

2015-04-06 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented the chapter editor.

2015-04-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: merge tool enhancement: implemented adding attachments via drag & drop from external applications.
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented the header editor.

2015-04-03 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: Implemented proper type output during identification for DTS-ES (extended surround) tracks. Implements #1157.

2015-03-31 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* MKVToolNix GUI: new feature: implemented the online update check.

2015-03-29 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The calculation of the width and height of h.265/HEVC video tracks did not take the conformance window (cropping) into account. Fixes #1152.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the value of the DocTypeVersion header field if any of the Matroska elements CodecDelay, DiscardPadding or SeekPreRoll is used. This is the case for Opus tracks.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the handling of E-AC3 tracks in M2TS files if the AC3 core and the extension are stored in separate packets.
* mkvmerge: new feature: Implemented support for the DTS-HD container format.

2015-03-28 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: new feature: Implemented support for core-less DTS streams consisting solely of XLL extension sub-streams.
* mkvmerge: new feature: track selection can be done by language codes as well. Affects the options --audio-tracks, --button-tracks, --subtitle-tracks and --video-tracks. Works only for containers that actually provide a language tag. Implements #1108.
* source code: bug fix: Accidental uses of the »long double« type have been converted to normal »double«s. This fixes compilation on platforms which don't support the »long double« type in combination with Boost::Math. Fixes #1150.
Have fun.

Old 10th May 2015, 16:22   #3205  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Hey guys. I just tried new MMG GUI and have a few questions. All of these might not be implemented yet, I'm totally fine with that, but I'm still curious.
1) In "Tracks, chapters, tags and attachments" form, how do I re-arrange stream positions?
2) How do I terminate muxing mid-way?
3) How do I disable statistics? (Such as NUMBER_OF_FRAMES, NUMBER_OF_BYTES, _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP etc.)
Old 10th May 2015, 16:26   #3206  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

Any tool for converting mmg option file to new version (mtxcfg)??
Old 10th May 2015, 16:27   #3207  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
1) In "Tracks, chapters, tags and attachments" form, how do I re-arrange stream positions?
3) How do I disable statistics? (Such as NUMBER_OF_FRAMES, NUMBER_OF_BYTES, _STATISTICS_WRITING_APP etc.)
1. Drag&Drop
3. Output options, Additional options (bottom right corner), check --disable-track-statistics
Old 10th May 2015, 16:27   #3208  |  Link
Zenitram

Quote:
Please don't, such statistics are useful for people who get your file (and they use so little place in the file).
Old 10th May 2015, 16:35   #3209  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Thanks for the hefty update, Mosu!
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Old 10th May 2015, 16:37   #3210  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
1. Drag&Drop
Ouch... should have tried this myself... >__<

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
3. Output options, Additional options (bottom right corner), check --disable-track-statistics
Yep, this is it, totally missed it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenitram View Post
Please don't, such statistics are useful for people who get your file (and they use so little place in the file).
Currently is looks like this (see at the bottom of this post). Only NUMBER_OF_FRAMES provides information that is not already available and still I don't find it useful. In case number of frames matters, most likely I am going to edit the content and have other means to know this information. Thus I consider all of this statistics to be completely useless.

Code:
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 221 MiB
Duration                                 : 8mn 47s
Overall bit rate                         : 3 506 Kbps
Encoded date                             : UTC 2015-05-10 15:20:02
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v7.9.0 ('Birds') 64bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
DURATION                                 : 00:08:47.744000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES                         : 24738
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                          : 6590628
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP                  : mkvmerge v7.9.0 ('Birds') 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC             : 2015-05-10 15:20:02
_STATISTICS_TAGS                         : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES
Old 10th May 2015, 16:41   #3211  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Hey guys. I just tried new MMG GUI and have a few questions. All of these might not be implemented yet, I'm totally fine with that, but I'm still curious.
Questions are more than welcome.
  • Via drag & drop: select a track, drag to new position. Same applies for files & re-ordering them. You can also select multiple tracks & drag and drop them, but only if they're all on the same level (e.g. you cannot drag & drop a non-appended and an appended track at the same time). You can also not change the level (you cannot convert an appended track to not-appended and vice versa).
  • Select the »Job output« tool and hit the »Cancel« button.
  • Select the »merge« tool. Go to the »Output« tab. On the lower right you'll find »Additional options«. Here you can either add »--disable-track-statistics-tags« manually or click the button to the right of the input. That'll show a popup where you can select such options. It's the equivalent of the old GUI's »add additional command line options« menu entry.

Old 10th May 2015, 16:42   #3212  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive80 View Post
Any tool for converting mmg option file to new version (mtxcfg)??
No, and none will be coming. It's too much work, and I have a lot of things still left to implement that I consider of higher priority. Sorry.

Old 10th May 2015, 16:48   #3213  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Currently is looks like this (see at the bottom of this post). Only NUMBER_OF_FRAMES provides information that is not already available and still I don't find it useful. In case number of frames matters, most likely I am going to edit the content and have other means to know this information. Thus I consider all of this statistics to be completely useless.
Note that BPS is also one of those tags. MediaInfo doesn't list it as »BPS«, but I guess that the value from »BPS« is displayed as »Overall bit rate«.

Note further that the track's duration (»Duration«) is yet another of those pieces of information that won't be available if you disable the statistics. The track's duration is also different from the file's duration.

I'm not trying to start a discussion about the (lack of) usefulness of those tags, but the facts are that without those tags there's no way to determine:
  • the amount of bytes in a track,
  • the amount of blocks ( = frames/fields) in a track,
  • a track's duration (Matroska only stores a duration for the whole segment and that may differ a lot from each track's duration, especially if you have overlong subtitles),
  • due to the points above: the track's effective bit rate

Before the tags were introduced MediaInfo used to guesstimate both a track's duration and its effective bit rate. That heuristic was often off and the source for much confusion.

Old 10th May 2015, 16:54   #3214  |  Link
ndjamena

You're not supposed to be able to see the Track Statistic tags, it's just MKVMerge/MMG/MediaInfo weren't designed to handle them properly and currently it's a mess. Duration and Number of Bytes are only already available if you either have only a single track in the file or (for Number of Bytes) have only a single Variable bitrate stream (even then if the duration of just one of the tracks is significantly less than the file duration all of MediaInfos current output is worthless).

There's also a BPS tag that you're not seeing because MediaInfo has been programed to hide it, which is what it should be doing to all of them but Zenitram hasn't gotten around to writing the necessary code yet.

The Tag handling should have been fixed long ago, but no one has had the time thus far. Things will get better and your current files without the tags will become outdated.
Old 10th May 2015, 16:58   #3215  |  Link
Zenitram

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
Zenitram hasn't gotten around to writing the necessary code yet.
And I apologize for that. It will be past soon.
Old 10th May 2015, 17:11   #3216  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
You're not supposed to be able to see the Track Statistic tags, it's just MKVMerge/MMG/MediaInfo weren't designed to handle them properly and currently it's a mess.
Yes, mediainfo output might be not perfect, but my point was that the information in these statistics fields is redundant. Changing mediainfo output may improve the overall mediainfo experience but it won't make the statistics information itself any more useful. (Also personally I don't want statistics to be hidden in mediainfo, or at least indication that they are present in a file)
I think without statistics mediainfo is doing great job displaying all truly relevant information.

Still, even knowing this, and the stuff that Mosu mentioned in the post above, I don't want this information to be present in my files. And if someone receives files from me, he is not supposed to do anything with them anyway (except playback of course)

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 10th May 2015 at 17:14.
Old 10th May 2015, 17:23   #3217  |  Link
ndjamena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenitram View Post
And I apologize for that. It will be past soon.
FFMPEG needs to updated too, and MKVMerge. Be sure to remove everything in the _STATISTICS_TAGS tag and not just the individual tags for forward compatibility.

FFMPEG lists each tag twice, which is annoying and can only compound the general distaste for the tags.

MKVMerge lists them twice as well, once in the "Track Info" and once in the "Track Tags" list. That should change. Actually, according to the specs "TargetTypeValue" (50/60/70) and TargetType (EPISODE/MOVIE) aren't mandatory and really shouldn't be used for the Statistic Tags. I don't know if it does already or not but MKVMerge should probably verify the tags before outputting them and ignore them if they don't pass, and NOT output the security tags (tags starting with "_").

The whole thing needs to be cleaned up before people should be expected to accept them.

-edit- Oh, "TargetTypeValue" has a "default" of "50" (although looking at Tag "defaults" is dangerous business), but target type can be left out completely (and I do object to have MOVIE tags in my TV EPISODES.)

Last edited by ndjamena; 10th May 2015 at 18:19.
Old 10th May 2015, 17:26   #3218  |  Link
ndjamena

Quote:
Yes, mediainfo output might be not perfect, but my point was that the information in these statistics fields is redundant. Changing mediainfo output may improve the overall mediainfo experience but it won't make the statistics information itself any more useful. (Also personally I don't want statistics to be hidden in mediainfo, or at least indication that they are present in a file)
I think without statistics mediainfo is doing great job displaying all truly relevant information.

Still, even knowing this, and the stuff that Mosu mentioned in the post above, I don't want this information to be present in my files. And if someone receives files from me, he is not supposed to do anything with them anyway (except playback of course)
If you came into this sometime in the future, when the Stat tags were fully mature and hidden, would you care if they were there or not or are you just making arguments based on prejudices caused by the current situation?
Old 10th May 2015, 18:39   #3219  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
If you came into this sometime in the future, when the Stat tags were fully mature and hidden, would you care if they were there or not or are you just making arguments based on prejudices caused by the current situation?
I would care, assuming I did some research during which I figured out that they exist and what they are for. I think this is similar to x264's SEI information which some people prefer to remove (or use a modified build that doesn't creates it to begin with)
Old 10th May 2015, 18:47   #3220  |  Link
ndjamena

Right, I figured out why I thought "TargetTypeValue" could be left out.

This is from a FFMPEG Track tag extracted using MKVExtract:

Quote:
<Targets>
<TrackUID>1</TrackUID>
</Targets>
I don't know what that means, and since it's the Matroska tagging system I'd rather not know.

But unless I'm missing something in the specs "TargetType" should be able to be left out completely.

Last edited by ndjamena; 10th May 2015 at 19:03.
Closed Thread