Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th June 2019, 14:27   #56681  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

I have tried:

1. sneaker_ger solution - doesn't work
2. huhn solution - doesn't work
3. I have uninstalled NVIDIA Drivers for GTX 940MX - doesn't work
4. I have disabled discrete GPU (GTX 940MX) in BIOS - doesn't work
5. I have installed Kodi and... - doesn't work, but when during playback I toggle other audio track the bitstreaming is working for this new track, and when I back to the first track for example DTS:X or Dolby Atmos it's also working
6. I have tried the same in MPC-HC, change to other track during playback, but it doesn't work

I have no more ideas, only manualy changing to 2160p23 and then playing movie is working with Bitstreaming.

PS. Sorry for post under post...

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2019, 19:51   #56682  |  Link
el Filou

It's an issue with the Intel HDMI: the audio device 'disappears' when the display resyncs (like when changing modes, or powering on/off), so the audio renderer loses the connection. This problem was encountered by MediaPortal users and IIRC unfortunately the workaround was to implement a device-specific fix in the player.
Here is a link to the bug ticket and associated forum thread: https://issues.team-mediaportal.com/browse/MP1-4941
(I don't use Intel HDMI audio with MP so can't tell any more details, sorry)
Old 26th June 2019, 03:57   #56683  |  Link
alps006

@madjock, Yes, I do talk about HDR to SDR. I agree with you. They have done extensive efforts to make it more perfect, specially Manni and NeoXP are doing a great job by testing the new builds. But after the build madVRhdrmeasure45, madshi is adding a lot of tweaking options to new test builds that may work for some people but not for others. I eventually gave up and went back to version 0.92.17 which is in turn giving me a good balanced image without too much clipping. My 2 cents...
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
@alps006 If you are talking about HDR to SDR then I think you will be mistaken as they have put a lot of work into the later test builds, but if you are happy then who can argue.
alps006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2019, 04:26   #56684  |  Link
nsnhd

I'm currently using madVRhdrmeasure40 with the MadmeasureHDR Optimizer 3.8.7 from Soulnight.
The lastest versions of madVRhdrmeasure live algo seem too complicated for me, I'm waiting for the final release.
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2019, 07:47   #56685  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
The lastest versions of madVRhdrmeasure live algo seem too complicated for me, I'm waiting for the final release.
Just use Neo-XP's settings. They work just fine

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 02:29   #56686  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
Just use Neo-XP's settings. They work just fine
Are neoxp's settings for projectors, or is it universal ?
Old 27th June 2019, 02:35   #56687  |  Link
SamuriHL

If you're doing HDR->SDR, neoxp's settings are a very good starting point. People are getting beyond excellent results with that build and those settings. If you have an SDR, or low nit, device that's definitely the way to go.

Personally, I use measurement files and I've had excellent results with that. But I'm outputting HDR and setting a target nit level right around the max of my C8 OLED (~750 nits). The idea being that you want madvr to do the tone mapping to compress HDR to fit within your max nit level so that your device doesn't have to do its own tone mapping.
Old 27th June 2019, 04:36   #56688  |  Link
nsnhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
People are getting beyond excellent results with that build and those settings.
NeoXP has several builds and settings, could you pls link to that best ones ?Thanks
nsnhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 06:45   #56689  |  Link
tp4tissue

Does Madvr's dithering work better in 60hz than say 24hz ? How does it work ?
Old 27th June 2019, 06:49   #56690  |  Link
Asmodian

madVR does not use temporal dithering so it does not matter what the refresh rate is. That said the dither pattern changes slower if using "change dither for every frame." This is the only aspect of dithering that is impacted by the refresh rate.

I usually have both that and "use colored noise" disabled anyway.
Old 27th June 2019, 10:16   #56691  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Personally, I use measurement files and I've had excellent results with that. But I'm outputting HDR and setting a target nit level right around the max of my C8 OLED (~750 nits). The idea being that you want madvr to do the tone mapping to compress HDR to fit within your max nit level so that your device doesn't have to do its own tone mapping.
Do you still use the TV's own dynamic tonemapping this way? I assume not.

Have you managed to compare the TV's own dynamic tonemapping vs the way you use it now? (I haven't yet, or maybe I did )
I'm asking this, because I compared the live ago in SDR mode (OLED light was at the max 100) and the produced image was softer than with hdr passthrough, the latter was way sharper.
(I use the TV in PC mode for getting chroma 4:4:4)

Last edited by chros; 27th June 2019 at 10:21.
chros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2019, 13:30   #56692  |  Link
Warner306

The softer image would come from poorer EOTF tracking. Were you still doing a gamma conversion with a 2.40 3D LUT? That could make things softer.

The HDR output option should only shave the brightest highlights from every source and eliminate most tone mapping by the display because the source will arrive pre-compressed. That should be very similar to way the TV already works. The BT.2390 roll-off doesn't compress 0-100 nits (the knee point starts higher) when you set the output to 700 nits.

Some have claimed that the C8 and C9 are boosting the brightness of the image at times with dynamic tone mapping. I don't know if that is true or not. If you compressed the source and sent it to the display with dynamic tone mapping enabled, it could also influence the result, but I don't know by how much.

Last edited by Warner306; 27th June 2019 at 13:48.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 00:27   #56693  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
hdr passthrough, the latter was way sharper.
Does the calibration report go up to 700nit ? maybe the tv snipped the bright patch, so the 3dlut is inaccurate.
Old 28th June 2019, 01:43   #56694  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsnhd View Post
NeoXP has several builds and settings, could you pls link to that best ones ?Thanks
I don't use them myself. I have my own settings that won't help anyone that I use. His latest build and settings were getting very good results afaik.
Old 28th June 2019, 01:48   #56695  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Do you still use the TV's own dynamic tonemapping this way? I assume not.

Have you managed to compare the TV's own dynamic tonemapping vs the way you use it now? (I haven't yet, or maybe I did )
I'm asking this, because I compared the live ago in SDR mode (OLED light was at the max 100) and the produced image was softer than with hdr passthrough, the latter was way sharper.
(I use the TV in PC mode for getting chroma 4:4:4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
The softer image would come from poorer EOTF tracking. Were you still doing a gamma conversion with a 2.40 3D LUT? That could make things softer.

The HDR output option should only shave the brightest highlights from every source and eliminate most tone mapping by the display because the source will arrive pre-compressed. That should be very similar to way the TV already works. The BT.2390 roll-off doesn't compress 0-100 nits (the knee point starts higher) when you set the output to 700 nits.

Some have claimed that the C8 and C9 are boosting the brightness of the image at times with dynamic tone mapping. I don't know if that is true or not. If you compressed the source and sent it to the display with dynamic tone mapping enabled, it could also influence the result, but I don't know by how much.
It does increase the brightness at times. I don't particularly mind even if it's technically not correct. I keep dynamic tone mapping on because in theory it should do LESS tone mapping given that madvr has already done the tone mapping before sending it. I'm quite impressed with the quality of the output.
Old 28th June 2019, 10:22   #56696  |  Link
mclingo

thought i'd see what all the fuss was about with HDR tone mapping, but just decided to try the current .17 for now, however before I try anything I check everything is working properly, 3D doesnt work with this version properly, it plays but plays only in top left hand corner all squashed up. If I drop back to v0.92.14 its fine so defo an issue with this version. (v0.92.17).

I havent been reading for a while so i'm a bit behind, whats with this new beta version, seems to be loads missing from it or is MADVR now an installer package?

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure86.zip
Old 28th June 2019, 13:09   #56697  |  Link
Warner306

I managed to document most of the features in the current betas over the past year in the link in my signature. If you start at the HDR section in the guide, there is plenty of information there.

I don't think 3D playback has been touched, so I don't why you would be having issues. All the work went into HDR playback.

You can install that build by simply overwriting the existing installation files with the few files provided.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2019, 17:48   #56698  |  Link
mclingo

so you just copy those few files over the top of the current .17 version, isnt there a full beta version with all the files?
Old 28th June 2019, 17:55   #56699  |  Link
Asmodian

No, these are just test builds, not really beta versions.
Old 28th June 2019, 18:45   #56700  |  Link
mambans

Hello, I could use some help regarding HDR and 10bit.

1. When I try to play HDR, only Madvr OSD is in HDR (and 10bit). https://i.imgur.com/T6p8cBG.jpg

2. When playing HDR movie I cant enter fullscreen exclusive.

Settings: https://imgur.com/a/zc1xLAB
mambans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling