Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th November 2016, 16:06   #40901  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backflash View Post
Wait, it didn't work in previous builds anyway, because it's not finished as far as I remember, and you still can do that for NNDI3.
It worked in previous builds.
I was talking about the classic quadruple (aka 2x double), not new one-step quadruple madshi currently is working on for NGU.

Last edited by aufkrawall; 28th November 2016 at 16:08.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 16:15   #40902  |  Link
plasma

I am in favor of the simplifications of the gui. My account may be new but I have been using madvr since more than a year.
plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 16:19   #40903  |  Link
plasma

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
I see no reason why it should make a difference, both ways we are just presenting a final 2D raster at a certain time interval.

I'm out of this thread because it's giving me cancer. Bye.
The cognitive dissonance is astounding. How dare you use gaming hw such as freesync monitors. Madvr is for HTPC. But requiring high end gaming graphics cards is totally fine
plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 16:21   #40904  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Newest madVr settings

@ madshi

I have tried the newest madVr version and I miss the ability to set the upscaling settings like before. With the max awailable NGU settings, it does'nt fully utilize my GTX 1080 card anymore. This is my settings (with Chroma Upscaling set to NGU-VeryHigh) :

Here is a OSD screen of a 480p, 29 fps clip :

Max 8.34ms rendering... I could have used much higher settings, but with newest madvr, that is not possible.

Here is a OSD screen of a 720p, 23 fps clip :

Same here. Am I missing something here? My image quality was better with 0.91.1 version of madvr with my (higher) settings there.
Old 28th November 2016, 16:30   #40905  |  Link
pose

Betroz, you are example of why the changes were made. Smh...
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 16:32   #40906  |  Link
Betroz
Is this for real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pose View Post
Betroz, you are example of why the changes were made. Smh...
Uhhhh explain please...
Old 28th November 2016, 16:35   #40907  |  Link
fedpul

Hi, I want to report a bug, I can't select chroma quality very high when using luma NGU High. (I just was testing different profiles and discovered it), looks almost the same with automatic.

I also would like to say that I really like the new GUI, found it more intuitive than before, and easier to use for noobs or starters. But as usual you need to know what you are doing!

Last edited by fedpul; 28th November 2016 at 16:37. Reason: Commenting about the new GUI.
fedpul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 16:43   #40908  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Apparently the Windows high precision timer uses a dedicated hardware clock called HPET.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_P...on_Event_Timer
You may need to enable it at the windows command line with the "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" command.
That's not enough, though. You don't just need a hardware timer, you also need a solution that will quickly take the appropriate action when that timer fires (in this case, triggering a screen refresh). HPET will not do that for you, as it knows nothing about video. Sure, you could use HPET to wake up a software thread that does the refresh (using a present call, I presume), but then you're at the mercy of Windows thread scheduling delays, which translates to jitter. HPET is great for measuring time, but it's not very helpful for triggering actions, because it doesn't fix the thread scheduling problem (and other sources of delays such as in the GPU driver).

This issue does not apply to traditional fixed VSync because the GPU is in charge of refreshing the screen on every VSync interval, and that refresh is both timed and acted upon entirely in hardware by the GPU output circuitry itself, with no software components involved. This guarantees that screen refreshes will occur on time and with negligible jitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma View Post
The cognitive dissonance is astounding. How dare you use gaming hw such as freesync monitors. Madvr is for HTPC. But requiring high end gaming graphics cards is totally fine
Again, G-Sync/FreeSync would be great for video playback in theory. In practice however, it is not viable for video playback unless GPU manufacturers provide an API for presenting frames in advance with hardware-enforced timestamps in G-Sync/Freesync mode (see madshi's FAQ). This is not about a lack of interest, it's about technical feasibility.

Also, not everyone uses madVR with "high end graphics cards". There are people, such as me, who use madVR mostly for its reliable, smooth playback and features such as dithering, 3DLUT support and Smooth Motion, and have little interest in extreme power-hungry upscaling algorithms. Just because most of the discussion in this thread is about upscaling does not mean everyone cares about upscaling.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 17:05   #40909  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

@flossy_cake

It seems perfectly clear to me why madvr can't use adaptive sync tech (freesync/g-sync). You seem to assume madvr can generate in between frames in a video file when it's impossible. It's like setting pre-rendered frame to infinite. If you record a ball flying across the air on a video, if you examine all the frames individually frame by frame, you see it in a certain position as it moves along the screen. If a frame is delayed by half a frame, you can't generate where to ball should be in half a frame delay. For a game, it's easy since it "knows" where the ball should be at ANY TIME.

Unless everyone here that has been trying to explain to you is wrong about the way adaptive sync works, there's no simple and easy way to implement support in madvr.

EDIT: "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" is bad advice. Just leave it to windows to choose which timer it should use.

Last edited by Crimson Wolf; 28th November 2016 at 17:08.
Crimson Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 17:32   #40910  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Fair enough. So you'd also like super-xbr to stay (or rather come back)?

Yes, I think we really do need some good compression artifact reducer.
Personally I think that the former should depend on the latter. When/if a good compression artifact emerges we could probably do without super-xbr. Till then... I'd keep it in.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 17:42   #40911  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

NVIDIA driver 376.09 is out and it seems to fix the low power mode on optimal and adaptive power settings on my GTX980. YMMV.
Old 28th November 2016, 18:15   #40912  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Not sure why it's a lot faster for you, it was only supposed to be slightly faster. But I won't complain.
To give you some idea, I am running ngu-med with downscale quality medium on a GeForce 550 Ti and Core 2 Duo E6600. Before I had to make a rule to limit ngu to a maximum frame height of 600 pixels. SuperRes covered the >600 pixels because ngu was not fast enough. Now I deleted the SuperRes rule because ngu is fast enough for any 720p to 1080p. The only setup difference I see is in downscaling (catmull prior versus bicubic150AR now, but that's hardly a difference)

Here's a random capture of worst case (25 fps, 1280x720). It's not dropping frames, I was just messing about in and out of full screen.

Most of the time it's in the range of 24 - 30 ms depending on frame height.

Last edited by JarrettH; 28th November 2016 at 18:17.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:24   #40913  |  Link
Razoola

Where has the image doubling options gone, I cannot find them anywhere now.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:29   #40914  |  Link
Crimson Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Wolf View Post
NVIDIA driver 376.09 is out and it seems to fix the low power mode on optimal and adaptive power settings on my GTX980. YMMV.
Well, spoke too soon. VP9 1080p60 stuck at lower power mode... both optimal and adaptive.

Back to max power.
Old 28th November 2016, 18:29   #40915  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Where has the image doubling options gone, I cannot find them anywhere now.
Go "image upscaling" and select NNEDI3 or NGU.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=40816

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 28th November 2016 at 18:32.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:40   #40916  |  Link
Razoola

Yea I read that but did not understand that the page was removed totally. Ok I found where the options are now. Is there any reason why the 'chroma quality' drop down box is greyed out when NGU is enabled and is only available when NNEDI3 is used?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:46   #40917  |  Link
makakam

With the newest madvr version and my gtx960 I get better rendering times along with NGU very high (chroma upscaling) than I had with NGU high on version 0.91.0 Great!

Last edited by makakam; 28th November 2016 at 18:57.
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:47   #40918  |  Link
Gagorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betroz View Post
@ madshi

I have tried the newest madVr version and I miss the ability to set the upscaling settings like before. With the max awailable NGU settings, it does'nt fully utilize my GTX 1080 card anymore. This is my settings (with Chroma Upscaling set to NGU-VeryHigh) :

Here is a OSD screen of a 480p, 29 fps clip :

Max 8.34ms rendering... I could have used much higher settings, but with newest madvr, that is not possible.

Here is a OSD screen of a 720p, 23 fps clip :

Same here. Am I missing something here? My image quality was better with 0.91.1 version of madvr with my (higher) settings there.
What settings were you using that were higher quality? The idea of absolutely maxing out the settings just so the GPU is under higher load doesn't seem very useful. Neither does that necessarily provide any discernible difference in image quality.
Gagorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:48   #40919  |  Link
MS-DOS

madshi, anti-ringing checkbox in image downscaling is greyed out for me. Switching to chroma upscaling and back makes it active until I close the settings window.
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2016, 18:56   #40920  |  Link
bitterman

@madshi

In "Chroma upscaling" the default setting is now "Bicubic60" while it was 75 before.

Why did this change? Is it better to leave it at 60 now?

Thanks.
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling