Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 5th November 2004, 01:18   #1  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

how to transcode dts files with foobar2000

Hi,

Everybody knows (I hope at least) that the freeware to transcode dts files amount on a hand We can have azidts and dtsdec from the libdca librairy.
The first one seems to be great because we can use it with besweet.dll. So, we can make a transcode of dts to aac/ac3/mp2/mp3/vorbis/wav very quickly. But the most disadvantage is this tool need the WinDVD Intervideo filter and unfortunately WinDVD player isn't a freeware...
The second one dtsdec is a CLI (Command Line Interface). So, first we need to transcode dts to wav and then wav to anything following ours desires. In conclusion we have made 2 steps and this tool is more or less buggy

Fortunately today we have a new way And it seems to work pretty good. This way is Foobar, the famous audio player with his new plugin foo_dts to decode dts files. Yesssss One of the good point for this player is we can use directly the encoder and some plugins/dsp. That's why the transcode processing is reduced to one step instead of two like dtsdec. I'm testing dts to aac/mp3/vorbis (6 channels/2channels) and all seems to work very well...and all it's free

Feel free to test it.

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 14th February 2006 at 17:15.
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2004, 07:57   #2  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

ehy

this is really great news - something to play for the weekend
What´s about DTSWAV - does this work, too
Old 5th November 2004, 09:22   #3  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Hi daphy,

Quote:
Originally posted by daphy
What´s about DTSWAV - does this work, too
Mmmh it seems to work but only with 44,1 KHz files. I tested with some 48 KHz samples but dtswav crashes.

And I've forgotten to say one thing. There is an other free way : the lastest AC3Filter to decode to wav with graphedit. Then we can use BeSweet of course...But once again there are 2 steps.

I'll post some examples + screenshots this week-end.
Old 5th November 2004, 14:02   #4  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Quote:
Mmmh it seems to work but only with 44,1 KHz files. I tested with some 48 KHz samples but dtswav crashes.
Am I wrong, but DTSWAV should always be 44.1KHz?
Old 5th November 2004, 15:30   #5  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Yes..you're right. It's my fault...most of my dts samples come from my DVDs. And these files have a 48 Khz Sample Rate. It was just for testing...

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 5th November 2004 at 15:33.
Old 5th November 2004, 16:32   #6  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Quote:
It was just for testing...
me?
Old 6th November 2004, 16:40   #7  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Achhh nein...

Like I said, here are some examples for transcoding dts files with foobar2000. First, grab the latest fb2k release here. Just one note before to begin : don't forget to check Optional Components during installation otherwhise you can't make these steps correctly.
  • DTS to AAC :

For information, fb2k_special version provides natively the FAAC support.
    1. Load the player and add your dts file with Playlist --> Add file Menu (or drag it & drop it directly into the playlist).
    2. Then go to Foobar2000 --> Preferences --> DiskWriter.
    3. In the Output Directory, check "Same as source file directory".
    4. In the Output Presets, search FAAC : MP4(LC),quality 100...from the list and click on "Edit" button to modify or change the preset. There you can choose quality/bitrate Mode...

5. Then if you want to keep the 6_channels for the output file, go directly to number 8. ...else if you want to downmix (i.e 6 channels to 2 channels) then read the next items.
    6. In the Processing part, check "Use DSP" and click on "go to DSP Settings" button.
    7. There, you can choose one or more DSP. By example to make a downmix, you must put the "Convert 5.1 to Stereo" on the left.
    8. If all it's ok, then ckick on "Save all" and "Close". To launch the process : a right click on the file following by Convert --> Run Conversion. The select file writer appears. So, click on OK and wait.

• DTS to HE-AAC :

For High-Efficiency AAC, we need to install the last Nero Burning ROM. There is of course a special plugin for fb2k to access of the Nero decoder/encoder.
    1. Put foo_nero in components folder + copy and paste aacenc32.dll & aac.dll into the foobar2000 directory. These libraries are in Program Files/Commom Files/Ahead/AudioPlugins directory.
    2. Load the player and add your dts file with Playlist --> Add file Menu or drag it & drop it directly into the playlist.
    3. Then go to Foobar2000 --> Preferences --> DiskWriter.
    4. In the Output Directory, check "Same as source file directory".
    5. In the Output Presets, click on "Add New" button and choose Nero Encoder from the scrolling list. If it doesn't appears then you have missing something.
    6. The Nero Encoder window pops up :

7. [1] : select Nero Digital Audio (HE-AAC) (.mp4).
      [2] : check on "Configuration" button to choose a preset. You have some infos here to set the different parameters.
      [3] : check this case to use .m4a extension. But it's not mandatory. Click on OK to validate.
    8. If you want to transcode 6_channels to 2_channels, then check the "Use DSP" button from the Processing Part in DiskWriter window and click on "go to DSP settings".
    9. On the right, we can see some DSP. To activate one or more, just push it(them) on the left side. By example, the "Convert 5.1 to Stereo" to have 2 channels in output.
    10. If all it's ok, then click on "Save all" and "Close". To launch the process : a right click on the file following by Convert --> Run Conversion. The select file writer appears. So, click on OK and wait.

• DTS to MP3 :

For MP3, we need to grab a command line encoder. I use Lame.
    1. Put Lame.exe in foobar2000 directory.
    2. Load the player and add your dts file with Playlist --> Add file Menu.
    3. Then go to Foobar2000 --> Preferences --> DiskWriter.
    4. In the Output Directory, check "Same as source file directory".
    5. In the Output Presets, search Command Line Encoder : Lame --alt-preset standard from the list and click on "Edit" button to modify the preset. fb2k has already different presets for Lame. So, just look around the list.
    6. In the Processing part, check "Use DSP" and click on "go to DSP Settings" button.
    7. There, you can choose one or more DSP. By example to make a downmix, you must put the "Convert 5.1 to Stereo" on the left.
    8. If all it's ok, then ckick on "Save all" and "Close". To launch the process : a right click on the file following by Convert --> Run Conversion. The select file writer appears. So, click on OK and wait.

• DTS to Vorbis :

For information, fb2k provides natively a vorbis_enc plugin.
    1. First, load the player and add your dts file with Playlist --> Add file Menu.
    2. Then go to Foobar2000 --> Preferences --> DiskWriter.
    3. In the Output Directory, check "Same as source file directory".
    4. In the Output Presets, search Ogg Vorbis : -q 5.00 from the list and click on "Edit" button to modify the q-value with the slice bar following your desires :

5. Then if you want to keep the 6_channels for the output file, go directly to number 8. ...else if you want to downmix (i.e 6 channels to 2 channels) then read the next items.

That's all...

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 17th February 2005 at 14:04.
Old 6th November 2004, 17:48   #8  |  Link
Dark-Cracker

why nobody try to made a working plugin for besweet using libdts this could avoid a lot of headache when u want to convert your DTS file.

AutoDub v1.8 : Divx3/4/5 & Xvid Video codec and .OGG/.MP3/.AC3/.WMA audio codec.
AutoRV10 v1.0 : Use RealVideo 10 Codec and support 2 Audio Streams and Subtitles.

Dark-Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2004, 23:36   #9  |  Link
KpeX

@Kurtnoise

Thanks for posting that . I hope you don't mind that I added a link to the DTS FAQ.
KpeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2004, 08:53   #10  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

No problem...

@DC : you're the man for that...
Old 9th November 2004, 13:37   #11  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

dts to ac3

Great work!

Is there a way to transcode in a simple way from DTS to AC3?

Thanks again...
Old 9th November 2004, 19:03   #12  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

The easiest way comes with BeSweet, but you must realize that the ac3enc from BeSweet isn't very good...In addition, the only one free ac3_encoder seems to be ffmpeg. But still buggy...

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 10th November 2004 at 08:04.
Old 20th November 2004, 04:36   #13  |  Link
drpaulng

DVD dts to CD dts

Any way to do it in "one step"?
Old 20th November 2004, 10:43   #14  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Besure enables the trick.
Old 21st November 2004, 14:07   #15  |  Link
drpaulng

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurtnoise13
Besure enables the trick.
Thank you.
Are you going to add this feature for your GUI program?
DVD dts ripped -(transcode the bit rate/sampling rate)-> CD dts format (or reverse the process).
Old 21st November 2004, 17:01   #16  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Nope...but I would like (I don't know when exactly) to create a special tool for dts transcoding.
Old 19th December 2004, 11:39   #17  |  Link
hans-jürgen

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurtnoise13 [*]DTS to AAC :
For information, fb2k_special version provides natively the FAAC support.
That's right, foo_faac.dll is the output plugin created by Case. By the way, nice guide! I'll add it to the Audiocoding.com Wiki page for DTS today.

Quote:
In the Output Presets, search FAAC : MP4(LC),quality 100...from the list and click on "Edit" button to modify or change the preset. There you can choose quality/bitrate Mode...

It would be important to mention that foo_faac.dll still uses the old bitrate setting "per channel" for the ABR mode, so 192 kbps for one channel wouldn't make much sense and wouldn't work either, because FAAC still has an internal maximum limit at ~75 kbps per channel when using ABR. That's why I would rather recommend using the VBR mode at a quality of 100% or higher, because DTS is supposed to deliver a higher sound quality than AC-3, so storing a DTS->AAC transcoding on the HDD or on a DVD/CD should try to match that higher sound quality somehow which is not possible at much lower bitrates with the AAC LC profile. But if you have to use smaller file sizes/bitrates with FAAC, you should read this thread again.

BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ on Myspace, YouTube and Last.fm
INDIGO ROCKS on Myspace and Last.fm

Last edited by hans-jürgen; 19th December 2004 at 11:56.
hans-jürgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 15:49   #18  |  Link
Bruce Willis

Nice prog fb2k!

I try to do a dts -> mp3 conversion, but fb2k is giving this error message:

INFO (foo_clienc) : CLI encoder: LAME.EXE
INFO (foo_clienc) : Destination file: file://F:\Video\Project predator\001 PREDATOR DVD2AVI DTS T02 DELAY -5ms.mp3
INFO (foo_clienc) : Source file: file://F:\Video\Project predator\PREDATOR DVD2AVI DTS T02 DELAY -5ms.dts
INFO (foo_clienc) : 48000Hz 24bps 2ch
ERROR (foo_clienc) : Writing to encoder failed
ERROR (foo_clienc) : Encoding failed
ERROR (foo_diskwriter) : Conversion failed.

Conversion to wav is no problem, but trying to convert wav --> mp3 gives a similar error as above..
Bruce Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2005, 00:03   #19  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

What's Lame version did you use ? And what preset ?

Could you provide a sample from your dts file please...

BTW, it seems that pictures are disappeared...my fault. I'll post new ones tomorrow.
Old 1st February 2005, 07:45   #20  |  Link
daphy
Miles Freak

Quote:
INFO (foo_clienc) : Source file: file://F:\Video\Project predator\PREDATOR DVD2AVI DTS T02 DELAY -5ms.dts
INFO (foo_clienc) : 48000Hz 24bps 2ch
ERROR (foo_clienc) : Writing to encoder failed
general question: does lame support 24bit 48 KHz @ all?
Quote:
Conversion to wav is no problem, but trying to convert wav --> mp3 gives a similar error as above..
what kind of WAV, float or fixed point, did you created?