Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 3rd January 2018, 13:27   #21  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
you're doing something wrong. I get almost half size reduction when using x265 10 bit @ CRF 21 compared to 8 bit x264 @ CRF 18. Am hard pressed to notice difference in quality between the two

post your settings, if you will
Nope, I was doing everything OK. Again, I didn't encode an uncompressed source, I re-encoded H.264 videos.

I never use any fancy encoding flags. Here's my usual encoding parameters (tune is optional):

Code:
ffmpeg -i *mkv -c:audio copy -c:v libx265 -preset veryslow -x265-params crf=18:no-sao=1:tune=grain
Again, I got negatives gains from using 10bit encoding (increased encoding time and increased file sizes with zero improvements in details retention).
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 19:51   #22  |  Link
jd17

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
I didn't encode an uncompressed source, I re-encoded H.264 videos.
H.264 can be anything from a Blu-ray @ 35000 kbit/s down to a bad x264 encode at 2000 kbit/s.
So what exactly are we talking about?

Also, what kind of video were the sources you tested? 35mm with a lot of grain or squeaky-clean digital video?

Quote:
Code:
-preset veryslow -x265-params crf=18:no-sao=1:tune=grain
This is absolute overkill. (BTW, --no-sao is part of --tune grain anyhow.)
--preset veryslow plus --tune grain will just create loads of artificial grain i.e. blowing up the bitrate without a real benefit.
Also, combining those two will result in insanely low encoding speeds...

I would recommend to either go with a fast preset (not slower than medium) when using grain or use a slow(er) preset without --tune grain, just adding --no-sao.

Try going --crf 18 --preset slow --no-sao @10bit on a source that has not been compressed to death and you will see the benefits.
jd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:44   #23  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I re-encoded H.264 videos.
Blu-ray or already highly compressed?

Quote:
Again, I got negatives gains from using 10bit encoding (increased encoding time and increased file sizes with zero improvements in details retention).
If you were already transparent at the bitrate obtained with your 8 bit encode and simply used the same command line with 10 bit then, sure, you probably won't notice a difference.

Compare at the same bitrates and when you can notice the drop in quality and 10 bit will look better. At bit rates where increasing the bitrate of the 8 bit encode does not result in higher quality using 10 bit probably won't increase the quality either (unless you are getting banding at 8 bit even at high bitrates; source dependant).
Old 3rd January 2018, 22:58   #24  |  Link
birdie
Artem S. Tashkinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd17 View Post
This is absolute overkill. (BTW, --no-sao is part of --tune grain anyhow.)
I wouldn't call veryslow/crf 18/no-sao/grain an overkill - it's probably a must for transparent FullHD (re)encodes. I won't argue if you're OK with losing tons of details. I'm not. I want to get the exact amount of details for my reencodes as the source has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Blu-ray or already highly compressed?
The latter.
birdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 00:12   #25  |  Link
Asmodian

If your 8 bit encode looks exactly like the source then of course the 10 bit one doesn't look any better.

The 10 bit one is higher quality, you simply cannot tell. The same reason why you aren't using crf 17 even though that would be higher quality. To compare fairly you need to determine new "optimal" settings for the 10 bit encode, the same way you did for the 8 bit one.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:32   #26  |  Link
jd17

Quote:
The latter.
Reencoding already highly compressed sources is such a useless thing to do that I am regretting ever engaging in this discussion...

Quote:
I wouldn't call veryslow/crf 18/no-sao/grain an overkill - it's probably a must for transparent FullHD (re)encodes. I won't argue if you're OK with losing tons of details. I'm not. I want to get the exact amount of details for my reencodes as the source has.
Your premise is flawed.

- Reencoding an already highly compressed source is nonsense. Expecting the result to look better is even more nonsense.
- Again! --no-sao is already part of --tune grain. No use adding it to the command line.
- Starting with --preset slow, --tune grain adds --psy-rdoq 10, which generates artificial grain with relatively clean sources. The result might appear sharper to your eye, but it is not closer to the source.
- As long as you are not being precise regarding sources, any further discussion is useless. While --tune grain can surely help with noisy 16/35/65mm sources (or those with a grain filter), even with slower presets, it will hurt other, clean digital sources. High grain/noise sources have never been the strong suit for x265 so far. Even if the source were lossless or low compression / high bitrate, opting for x265 might be a mistake.

Anyhow, not trying different settings is probably the best thing you can do, considering your sources are already highly compressed.
So I'll rest my case now...
jd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2018, 21:45   #27  |  Link
Nico8583

Does anyone already compile a FFMPEG x265 10bit Windows build ?
Nico8583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 04:11   #28  |  Link
Asmodian

Don't ffmpeg builds usually support the --output-depth option?
Old 5th January 2018, 08:24   #29  |  Link
Nico8583

It seems to not support it :
Unrecognized option '-output-depth'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found
Old 5th January 2018, 11:22   #30  |  Link
Asmodian

Hmm, you are correct. I don't know how to set the output bitdepth for libx265 in ffmpeg. I usually pipe to x265.exe from Avisynth (avs2pipemod.exe).
Old 5th January 2018, 20:46   #31  |  Link
Nico8583

Thank you, and is it necessary to install FFDShow or LAV or other to use avs2pipemod ?
Old 5th January 2018, 22:00   #32  |  Link
Asmodian

No, but you do need to get a decoding plugin for Avisynth (I use ffms2) and create the decoding script. I often use a single line like "FFVideoSource("00260.mkv")".

Example command line:
C:\Tools\avs2pipemod.exe -y4mp=1:1 input.avs| C:\Tools\x265.exe --input - --y4m -o "output.mkv" --crf 21 -D 10 -p 8

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th January 2018 at 22:12.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 22:20   #33  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

LoL just add -pix_fmt yuv420p10le after input file