Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 2nd October 2018, 15:45   #121  |  Link
Selur

Seeing that some sides as elecard (https://www.elecard.com/videos) offer webm, I wonder is the webm spec for including av1 finished?
Old 2nd October 2018, 15:58   #122  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Kind of, yeah. Steve Lhommes pull request was merged to the Matroska specs a few weeks ago.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 16:23   #123  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi Mosu

I have some questions about two track flags: Default and Forced. (subtitle tracks)

If a Forced flag is set to true then a Player must use this track and have to ignore the Default track, right?
And I guess only one track should have that Forced flag set to true? If more Forced flags set to true, the first track wins?

Last edited by hubblec4; 2nd October 2018 at 16:27.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 17:21   #124  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Citing the specs for "forced":

Quote:
Set if that track MUST be active during playback. There can be many forced track for a kind (audio, video or subs), the player SHOULD select the one which language matches the user preference or the default forced track. Overlay MAY happen between a forced and non-forced track of the same kind. (1 bit)
This means:
  • Multiple subtitle tracks can be played at the same time. In fact, the Matroska specs do not stipulate anything about the number of tracks of a type that can be active at the same time.
  • Forced tracks are not supposed to replace non-forced ones.
  • Multiple subtitle tracks can have the "forced" flag set. Think of Lord of the Rings when Elvish is spoken. You would likely have one forced subtitle track for each language Elvish is translated into. It's up to the player to select from all of those, most likely based on the track's language and the user's preferences regarding languages.

Old 2nd October 2018, 19:30   #125  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Also note few (none?) players stick 100% to the specs in that regard.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018, 23:44   #126  |  Link
magsoud

Hi Mosu
Please Create mkvextract-gui.exe
https://pasteboard.co/HGEkYJ9.png
magsoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 03:35   #127  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwou View Post
Thanks, I have Media Foundations installed with media streaming role installed. I'm getting "the program can't start because api-ms-win-core-libraryloader-l1-2-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"
I did some research, and it looks like these errors happen when your paths somehow point you to the wrong bitness of files, ie, 32-bit when you're using 64-bit software or vice versa.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:14   #128  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsoud View Post
Hi Mosu
https://pasteboard.co/HGEkYJ9.png
See:
https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/issues/1026

gMKVExtractGUI
MKVcleaver
Old 3rd October 2018, 10:21   #129  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsoud View Post
I might, one day; there's even a feature request open for it. But it really has no priority for me as there are several third-party alternatives available. sneaker_ger has linked to a couple already.

Old 9th October 2018, 18:27   #130  |  Link
tkwou

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
I did some research, and it looks like these errors happen when your paths somehow point you to the wrong bitness of files, ie, 32-bit when you're using 64-bit software or vice versa.
Thanks foxyshadis. I considered that so I tried running "Dependency Walker". It's not showing any 32-bit 64-bit .dll mismatches when I open the mkvtoolnix-gui.exe.
tkwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 16:16   #131  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

AV1 in MKVToolNix ready

AV1 support in MKVToolNix is ready for testing. The input, output and parser code has been adjusted to the finalized AV1 bitstream spec as well as the codec mappings for AV1 in Matroska/WebM and MP4.
  • mkvmerge can read AV1 from Matroska/WebM, MP4, IVF files and raw OBU streams.
  • mkvmerge can write AV1 in both Matroska and WebM modes.
  • mkvextract can extract AV1 to IVF files.
  • The GUI knows about all of that.
  • The "--engage enable_av1" option was removed as support isn't experimental anymore.

Note that you need very new or even unreleased players in order to play back AV1 in Matroska/WebM (no matter if they were created by mkvmerge or by aomenc). I've successfully played content with:

Test files were created with aomenc revision 7cae98f4e from 2018-10-03. MP4 test files were obtained from Youtube.

The latest continuous builds (Windows, Linux) contain the changes.

I appreciate testing, but reports, test files and any other kind of feedback. Thanks!

Old 14th October 2018, 10:43   #132  |  Link
v0lt

The MKVToolNix incorrectly limits the size when splitting. I asked 4480M, but got 4486 MB.
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 10:46   #133  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No, it doesn't. Read this FAQ entry, please.

Old 18th October 2018, 09:57   #134  |  Link
Anakunda

Hi, is there an option for mkvmerge, that discards in final mux all chaptering info from source files?
That means one file, one chapter.
Anakunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2018, 09:59   #135  |  Link
sneaker_ger

--no-chapters (needs to be applied for every input file that has chapters)
Old 19th October 2018, 11:22   #136  |  Link
Anakunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
--no-chapters (needs to be applied for every input file that has chapters)
Tried that but some files still appear as two or more tracks so they do contain some internal indexing, tho mediainfo shows only one chapter.
Anakunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 12:05   #137  |  Link
mkver

It's completely normal to have more than one track and it has nothing to do with chapters. If mediainfo shows only one chapter, is it possible that you let MKVToolNix generate one chapter per appended file on the output tab (which generates one chapter even if no file has been appended)?
mkver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 16:59   #138  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

MKVToolNix v28.0.0 released

Hey,

here is MKVToolNix v28.0.0: the first release to support AV1 in its finalized form. mkvmerge can read it from Matroska/WebM, MP4, IVF container files and from raw OBU streams. mkvextract will extract it to IVF files. Apart from that a couple of bugs were fixed and usabitliy enhancements made.

Here are the usual links: the MKVToolNix home page, the Windows installer/portable version & macOS DMG & Linux AppImage and the source code.

The Windows and macOS binaries as well as the Linux AppImage are available already. The other Linux binaries are still being built and will be available of the course of the next couple of hours.

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Quote:
# Version 28.0.0 "Voice In My Head" 2018-10-20

## New features and enhancements

* mkvmerge: AV1 parser: updated the code for the finalized AV1 bitstream specification. Part of the implementation of #2261.
* mkvmerge: AV1 packetizer: updated the code for the finalized AV1-in-Matroska & WebM mapping specification. Part of the implementation of #2261.
* mkvmerge: AV1 support: the `--engage enable_av1` option has been removed again. Part of the implementation of #2261.
* mkvmerge: MP4 reader: added support for AV1. Part of the implementation of #2261.
* mkvmerge: DTS: implemented dialog normalization gain removal for extension substreams. Implements #2377.
* mkvmerge, mkvextract: simple text subtitles: added a workaround for simple text subtitle tracks that don't contain a duration. Implements #2397.
* mkvextract: added support for extracting AV1 to IVF. Part of the implementation of #2261.
* mkvextract: IVF extractor (AV1, VP8, VP9): precise values will be used for the frame rate numerator & denominator header fields for certain well-known values of the track's default duration.
* mkvmerge: VP9: mkvmerge will now create codec private data according to the VP9 codec mapping described in the WebM specifications. Implements #2379.
* MKVToolNix GUI: automatic scaling for high DPI displays is activated if the GUI is compiled with Qt ≥ 5.6.0. Fixes #1996 and #2383.
* MKVToolNix GUI: added a menu item ("Help" → "System information") for displaying information about the system MKVToolNix is running on in order to make debugging easier.
* MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer, header editor: the user can enter a list of predefined track names in the preferences. She can later select from them in "track name" combo box. Implements #2230.

## Bug fixes

* mkvmerge: JSON identification: fixed a bug when removing invalid UTF-8 data from strings before they're output as JSON. Fixes #2398.
* mkvmerge: MP4/QuickTime reader: fixed handling of PCM audio with FourCC `in24`. Fixes #2391.
* mkvmerge: MPEG transport stream reader, teletext subtitles: the decision whether or not to keep frames around in order to potentially merge them with the following frame is made sooner. That avoids problems if there are large gaps between teletext subtitle frames which could lead to frames being interleaved too late. Fixes #2393.
* mkvextract: IVF extractor (AV1, VP8, VP8): the frame rate header fields weren't clamped to 16 bits properly causing wrong frame rates to be written in certain situations.
* mkvpropedit, MKVToolNix GUI's header editor: fixed file corruption when a one-byte space must be covered with a new EBML void element but all surrounding elements have a "size length" field that's eight bytes long already. Fixes #2406.
Have fun

Old 20th October 2018, 17:05   #139  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Thx. Is AV1 as "simple" as VP9 or can we except as many bugs as with AVC and HEVC?
Old 20th October 2018, 17:17   #140  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

AV1 is much, much simpler to handle (from the container POV) than AVC & HEVC. Doesn't mean there are or won't be any bugs.

Tags
matroska