Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th September 2017, 22:06   #45381  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
1) Are you sure there's only one madVR installation on your PC? E.g. if you use J.River MC, that one comes with its own madVR installation etc.

2) Are you sure that your media player runs under the same user account as madHcCtrl.exe? Of course HKEY_CURRENT_USER only works if it's the same user for both processes.

3) Are you sure that 1080p23 is the actual active mode while you play a video? And you let the video play for at least 11 minutes without touching it in any way?

4) Does the OSD (Ctrl+J) report a frame repeat/drop estimation during those 11 minutes?
1.- yes, I only have pot player and the lav filters and none of those comes with madvr... also, I dont know if this is messing with the config, but I'm using ffdshow raw with denoise options turned on.

2.- not really, I'm not sure, I have two users, I will check playing a video on the other user and see if I get a result

3.- yeah 100% sure

4.- yeah, 1 frame drop every hour (is not that bad, but I want to improve it)

Thank you very much!
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 22:29   #45382  |  Link
Dorohedoro

Ok, I didnt get any result on the other user, maybe it has something to do with the videocard, or the driver?
Dorohedoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 22:42   #45383  |  Link
mparade

@madshi

Quote:
That's still quite a lot, though. Are you using "native DXVA" or "DXVA copyback"? Do you have the "zoom control" options activated in madVR?
In LAV Video I have tried both with main12 source. Both resulted in nearly the same CPU utilization. But I do not really think decoding is being accomplished via DXVA (as also stated by Nevcairiel, however I selected DXVA in LAV Video settings dialog). Kodi reports "HVC1 (DXVA Native) (HW) only if I change to a main10 source. Every time changing back to a main12 source the reported decoder becomes again HVC1 (FFMpeg) (HW). During play of a main10 source using DXVA Native the CPU average utilization is only 40% compared to that when playing a main12 source.

All zoom control options is deactivated excluding "move subtitles". It is on by default.

Last edited by mparade; 4th September 2017 at 22:46.
mparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 22:57   #45384  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
What it boils down to is that when FSE activates, it calls the custom mode. Then, while the file is playing, I am able to use that custom mode in non-fullscreen windowed or fullscreen windowed (if I disable FSE in the settings).
I am 100% sure that the mode summoned by FSE is the custom one (vastly improved frame drop frequency).

The custom modes in the nvidia control panel were created by madvr. Once I check the checkbox in front of them, they are available to select through the nvidia selection box, in the custom section. So if I changed the display using the nvidia control panel to that custom mode and launch a 23p file without triggering a display mode change, it is correctly using the new custom mode. Otherwise, switching to 23p either by using the standard windows display settings or using the madvr display mode switcher uses the standard 23p mode.

So my two posts aren't contradictory, but complementary : the first one gives an example of how I was able to trigger the custom mode using the FSE trick (without fiddling in the nvidia cpl), and the second one shows that I can directly summon the same custom mode through the nvidia cpl, but that the same custom mode won't be called by the windows display settings or madvr display mode switcher. So I am able to use the custom mode, but not without using roundabout ways each time.
Also relevant, in response to cyber201 :

Quote:
It seems that 1 frame repeat every 4.40 minutes is also what you had before starting the whole process, is that correct? In that case it seems that the custom timings are not activated by the GPU at all, for some reason. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, unfortunately. I'd suggest that you try either with fullscreen exclusive mode turned on or off, and with the "use D3D11 for presentation" option turned on or off, to see if any of that makes a difference. It's possible that the GPU driver doesn't use our custom modes in some situations.
I finally managed to do a fresh windows install with the bare minimum (drivers, mpc-be x64, lav and madvr): the same behavior persists. The custom mode is only summoned when going into FSE mode. It is similar to the behavior described by cyber201 (same GPU). Looks like this is really tied with the way Nvidia handles the custom resolutions ...
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2017, 23:02   #45385  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
This information is not complete. The queue information consists of 2 numbers each.
Yea, that's what I get for typing it and being lazy LOL. The queues were all full so those numbers should be duplicated 16/16, etc. It's weird. I've never seen it do that before where the queues are all full but video is frozen. When I change LAV to copy back and/or change D3D11 to use copy back instead of native it works fine. Very strange.
Old 4th September 2017, 23:10   #45386  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:

It seems that 1 frame repeat every 4.40 minutes is also what you had before starting the whole process, is that correct? In that case it seems that the custom timings are not activated by the GPU at all, for some reason. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, unfortunately. I'd suggest that you try either with fullscreen exclusive mode turned on or off, and with the "use D3D11 for presentation" option turned on or off, to see if any of that makes a difference. It's possible that the GPU driver doesn't use our custom modes in some situations.
Hi madshi, Yes, it's correct.
But if I disable D3D11 presentation, I will have a poor image quality?
Maybe a nvidia driver bug?

Thanks
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 02:00   #45387  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
Unless you are using 10-bit or the new DX11 version of DXVA2 Native decoding turning off D3D11 will not harm image quality in anyway. 8-bit DX9 old path has the same image quality as 8-bit DX11 new path.

Quote:
Maybe a nvidia driver bug?
Probably, there have been a lot of driver oddities around applying and enabling custom resolutions.
Old 5th September 2017, 03:09   #45388  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post

Probably, there have been a lot of driver oddities around applying and enabling custom resolutions.
No kidding. It seems like every driver release either fixes something (yey) or breaks 10 things (boo) LOL
Old 5th September 2017, 05:50   #45389  |  Link
Ava Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmalibu View Post
Also relevant, in response to cyber201 :

I finally managed to do a fresh windows install with the bare minimum (drivers, mpc-be x64, lav and madvr): the same behavior persists. The custom mode is only summoned when going into FSE mode. It is similar to the behavior described by cyber201 (same GPU). Looks like this is really tied with the way Nvidia handles the custom resolutions ...
Have you tried enabling "Use NVIDIA color settings" in Display -> Change resolution? That fixed my custom resolution issue.
Ava Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 09:05   #45390  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8213711 View Post
With that, my screen should change to 29.97Hz (which is supported, I just tested with another video), but it remains at 23.97Hz.
In case is any useful, I have: Win8.1, AMD A6-4455M, smooth motion off, D3D11 exclusive.
One possible reason for the problems is that madVR isn't sure whether deinterlacing will be needed or not. So madVR ideally wants to activate 59.940Hz, but that mode doesn't seem to be available. However, I guess if the only choices available are 23.976 and 29.970, then I suppose madVR should switch to 29.970. I've tried to reproduce on my PC, but my PC properly switches to 29.970, if only 23 and 29 are available.

Which is the exact list of display modes to switch to in your display's "display modes" tab in the madVR settings? And please create a debug log, zip it, upload it somewhere else (don't attach to this forum) and then link to it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
No OSD at all, just black screen - and the cursor. No different colour frame when "image area" is not maxed out. But I can see that as expected when windowed.

I believe I have found a "workaround": leave the TPG to NON full screen and switch to full screen by double-clicking on the screen, not by pressing ALT-ENTER.

That seems to work ok. Does it make any sense at all?
No, it doesn't make any sense to me because the code to handle double clicking and ALT-ENTER is pretty much identical! I've made a tiny change to the ALT-ENTER handling for the next build now, but I don't have much hope that will change anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorohedoro View Post
1.- yes, I only have pot player and the lav filters and none of those comes with madvr... also, I dont know if this is messing with the config, but I'm using ffdshow raw with denoise options turned on.

2.- not really, I'm not sure, I have two users, I will check playing a video on the other user and see if I get a result

3.- yeah 100% sure

4.- yeah, 1 frame drop every hour (is not that bad, but I want to improve it)
Can you double check in the task manager ("details" tab) with user name the madHcCtrl.exe process is running as, and which user name your media player is running as?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparade View Post
In LAV Video I have tried both with main12 source. Both resulted in nearly the same CPU utilization. But I do not really think decoding is being accomplished via DXVA (as also stated by Nevcairiel, however I selected DXVA in LAV Video settings dialog). Kodi reports "HVC1 (DXVA Native) (HW) only if I change to a main10 source. Every time changing back to a main12 source the reported decoder becomes again HVC1 (FFMpeg) (HW). During play of a main10 source using DXVA Native the CPU average utilization is only 40% compared to that when playing a main12 source.

All zoom control options is deactivated excluding "move subtitles". It is on by default.
Even 40% is much too high to make sense. I'd expect something like 5% or so. Something is weird there. Do you have MPC-HC/BE installed? If so, can you please right click on the video then choose "Filters -> LAV Video Decoder", then check what the "Active Decoder" says? Also what does the madVR OSD (Ctrl+J) say about the incoming video format? E.g. does it say "NV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0" or something similar? I need the exact full text of this one OSD line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yea, that's what I get for typing it and being lazy LOL. The queues were all full so those numbers should be duplicated 16/16, etc. It's weird. I've never seen it do that before where the queues are all full but video is frozen. When I change LAV to copy back and/or change D3D11 to use copy back instead of native it works fine. Very strange.
Does the OSD update at all? E.g. the refresh rate measurement should fluctuate to some extend. Or is the OSD completely frozen, too?

Quote:
Please see Asmodian's and Ava Pug's replies.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 09:13   #45391  |  Link
tony359

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony359 View Post
No OSD at all, just black screen - and the cursor. No different colour frame when "image area" is not maxed out. But I can see that as expected when windowed.

I believe I have found a "workaround": leave the TPG to NON full screen and switch to full screen by double-clicking on the screen, not by pressing ALT-ENTER.

That seems to work ok. Does it make any sense at all?
Quote:
No, it doesn't make any sense to me because the code to handle double clicking and ALT-ENTER is pretty much identical! I've made a tiny change to the ALT-ENTER handling for the next build now, but I don't have much hope that will change anything.
ahah! Thank you. I'll test and report back. To be honest I am not totally sure I tested ALT-ENTER when FULLSCREEN is disabled. Maybe the key is the fullscreen button and not the way you go into fullscreen. I'll test and report back.
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 10:25   #45392  |  Link
mitchmalibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Pug View Post
Have you tried enabling "Use NVIDIA color settings" in Display -> Change resolution? That fixed my custom resolution issue.
Yep, I'm using 422 10bit atm, still no luck
Media setup: MPC-BE x64, madvr, lav filters (nightly)
mitchmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 13:00   #45393  |  Link
cyber201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Pug View Post

Thanks, but all my videos are playing in FSE mode end the custom resolution don't work
cyber201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 13:39   #45394  |  Link
leandronb

Hi guys. I was wondering which option is better, using TV at 60hz and smooth motion on, or make it go to 23/24hz with smooth motion off?
I kinda like smooth motion on because there is no flashing on screen because there is no refresh rate change.
Also I really don't know if my tv can actually handle 24p content, is a Samsung Eh6030, maybe 120hz because of 3D and accept various refresh rates.
My brother's TV can change to 24hz too but is not a 120hz tv so I think is a waste making it change to 24hz everytime.
So what do you guys think about this?
Old 5th September 2017, 15:27   #45395  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Does the OSD update at all? E.g. the refresh rate measurement should fluctuate to some extend. Or is the OSD completely frozen, too?
Well I give up. I went and changed it back to d3d11 native to check on the OSD and for whatever reason playback is working. I've not, to my knowledge, changed anything since I last tried so I have NO idea what happened. Sorry to have troubled you with this one.
Old 5th September 2017, 15:37   #45396  |  Link
SamuriHL

HEYYYY there we go! I got it to freeze again and maybe this'll shed a little light on the subject. Can someone with a 1060 try this and see what they get for results? With D3D11 Native mode enabled, watch a 3D movie for a couple minutes. Stop playback and then try to watch a 2D movie. It's now frozen for me. The average and max stats do seem to be changing in the OSD, but, the queues are full and no video is playing. That's...weird right?

Ok, I think I got this one figured out finally. If I exit out of JRiver MC23, go to display properties and toggle 3d off, then back on, I'm able to play the 2D movie again. So I have a feeling something's not getting reset on playback of a 3D movie.

Last edited by SamuriHL; 5th September 2017 at 15:41.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 18:50   #45397  |  Link
mparade

@madshi

Quote:
can you please right click on the video then choose "Filters -> LAV Video Decoder", then check what the "Active Decoder" says? Also what does the madVR OSD (Ctrl+J) say about the incoming video format? E.g. does it say "NV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0" or something similar? I need the exact full text of this one OSD line.
Active Decoder says: avcodec
madVR OSD says: P016, 16bit 4:2:0.
Old 5th September 2017, 19:24   #45398  |  Link
mogli

I was playing around with the hdr to sdr conversion. Why is the default display's peak nits set to 400?
I read sdr content is usually intentionally limited to 100 nits for compatibililty with older devices. I understand that newer devices allow for more nits but that's not exactly sdr anymore. So when conversion to sdr is needed wouldn't 100 nits (less than madVR even allows to be set) be the most sensible default?

@mparade
Your cpu utilization seems normal considering software decoding such a file.
mogli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 20:13   #45399  |  Link
mparade

It seems, even these days there is no GPU assisted decoding method for main12 HEVC sources. After reading the specs of my card I was pretty sure it could be done at least via CUVID or DXVA. I was wrong, or just not having enough info.
Old 5th September 2017, 20:26   #45400  |  Link
Grimsdyke

Hi Madshi, would it be possible to add something like a 'lock-buttom' for a custom mode once a perfect setting was found ? I am asking because last weekend I spent hours trying to find a setting for a refresh rate but with each new measurement it got worse, e.g. dropped frames down to minutes until I remembered that I had already found a p.s. for that frequency.
But unfortunately that remark was changed to 'optimization available' after playing another file not long enough or with interruptions or whatever ...
So after, say, a driver update it can get unlocked - tested - and locked again.
Grimsdyke is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling