Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2005, 10:05   #1  |  Link
tareek

Problem After Installing YAMB, MP4Box, Haali Splitter

Hi all . newbie .

i've followed instructions given at http://www.doom9.org/mp4.htm for Creating MP4 files - ISO compliant MPEG-4 streams with AAC audio . By using YAMB, MP4Box, Haali's media splitter (MatroskaSplitter.exe) .

After installing these, now i canot delete any video files which are created with other soft for example like VirtualDubMod . AND, Windows Explorer's total memory usage keeps on getting bigger and bigger and finally it alsmost consumes all virtual and physical memory and all other software becomes very slow .

When tried to delete any created avi files in Win Explorer, a warning messege from Haali, PopsUp . Can't remeber now, the exact warning . So i've uninstalled Haali's Media Splitter . But problem still remains . Now instead of the popup from Halli, while deleteing an avi file, is changed to a different warning, now Windows saying file "....avi" is in use by another program, so windows cannot delete it .

Warning came and coming in, for created video files only, not for other video files .

may be Haali's dll files are still somehow accessing it, so file deletion failing and Explorer's total memory usage increases.

may be, i should also unsinstall those video file creator software (VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod, Nandub, AviSynth) . Before installing these & Yamb, Mp4box and Haali Splitter, i had no problem, deleting any files .

thanks for your any help to solve this problem.
- Tareek
tareek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 11:37   #2  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

start -> run... -> regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 16:09   #3  |  Link
bond

moved

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 01:49   #4  |  Link
tareek

File Erasing & Win Explorer's Excess Mem Consumption Problem Solved

Hi Sharktooth,

many many infinity thanks , for quickly solving the problem .

you're right, that dll was doing all these havoc .

now that this dll is unregistered from the windows registry, i have no prolem in erasing those or any other video files, and Win Explorer is also consuming fair amount of memory .

again, many many thanks .
- Tareek

Last edited by tareek; 3rd December 2005 at 01:57.
Old 3rd December 2005, 01:53   #5  |  Link
tareek

my mistake Bond, after the posting, when i was in the index page and seen the fine prints of various threads, then realized, i posted in the wrong thread, many thanks for moving the topic into the right thread.
Old 3rd December 2005, 05:13   #6  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

well, actually that dll is a MS dll distributed with windows... it was buggy (since win2000) and it was never fixed.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 08:41   #7  |  Link
tareek

And i apologize for my mistake, again, for thinking this problem was created by Haali . Actually its Microsoft's fault .

from google found out ...

This problem is now know as XP Unchecked Buffer problem / security hole.

The Windows shell manages the desktop, organizes files and folders, and runs
applications . When anyone places the mouse cursor over an file / file icon, or folder on the desktop, Windows displays a tooltip/thumbnail description of the item . The shell uses the shmedia.dll's function to display this information for different media files by reading the file's custom attribute data embedded inside it . When a media file, for example : an DivX avi file, is not supported in the Windows's native/standard supported codecs, or, does not have an index, or, corrupted, etc, then Windows prepares to read the whole file, that is why the Windows Shell fails to delete the file, and that reading process consumes computer's memory .

Solve :
Start - > Run - > regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
Or, use "regedit.exe" to manually locate the below (InProcServer32) registry key and delete it :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Classes > CLSID > {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E} > InProcServer32

This prevents Explorer from loading the shmedia.dll file, which is then used to display details properties info of AVI files .

Here, M$ addressing this ...
Windows Stops Responding When You Click a Large AVI File in Windows Explorer .
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;822430

Windows XP Security Patch: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Could Enable System Compromise .
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

MS02-072: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Shell Might Permit System Compromise .
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329390

If anyone needs to re-add media preview :
Start - > Run - > regsvr32 shmedia.dll

If the codec used for creating that file, is known, download that codecs and install it, to solve this problem, without deleting any key or file entry from the registry , (if you're sure, that file is not corrupted) . (u may use GSpot to find codec) .
- Tareek