Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 3rd January 2004, 08:04   #1081  |  Link
manono

Hi-

You have a stereo source, and you want mono output? It's not going to happen anytime soon, I don't think. Quite a few of us (including len0x) want to be able to output mono, when there's a dual channel mono source. But it's not quite that easy to do. All the tests I've done with BeSweet with a Stereo AC3 source results in garbage when I try and convert it to mono. I think it depends on BeSweet improving the mono conversion from stereo.

And I'm going to edit your post because of the language. Hope you don't mind. I know, you used it in a good way, as a compliment.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 10:19   #1082  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: Re: Re: A bit too much cropping?

Quote:
Originally posted by r6d2
But if that does not work as expected, you may try just use log mode, read the AutoCrop.log file (get top and height), and use regular crop afterwards and AddBorders to pad the bottom (or evenly spread the black bars among top and bottom) to have Mod 16 height (I do that in FACAR to support "As Seen on TV" mode).
I very much prefer to do this using AddBorders, but you complicate things a lot (log mode etc). One should be able to make AddBorders on the fly in one AVS script:

- do autocrop
- get height & width of the clip
- calculate AddBorders parameters

So the only difference to current implementation is that AddBorders replaces smartcrop. But I do belive that one should only do that when going for maximum resolution mode. There is no point in doing all this and then resize to lower resolution with black bars

P.S. having said all this I still think that this option should not be exposed to newbie user, so this will probably go to the config file (this is gonna be magic file I believe )
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 11:07   #1083  |  Link
menaceboy

manono
hey your from hawaii, where at? honolulu?
i'm from k-town myself
you dabble in video ? you a a/v guy from highschool or something?
i'll keep complimenting autogk so this post wont be completely off topic

AUTOGK IS FOR XVID AND DIVX AS DVD2SVCD IS FOR SVCDS
BUT BETTER CAUSE ITS SO SEXY
menaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 11:31   #1084  |  Link
Takasho

Hi All,

I have been successfully using Gordian Knot for a couple of years with no problems, must say I'm so pleased you picked up the development. I decided to try out AutoGK on my new machine (no existing GK install or codecs). I downloaded the lastest XVID binary and installed it along with AutoGK 0.80.

I picked my DVD folder, gave it an output filename and hit start. 1Hr later I have a 3.5Mb avi file as the output and this as the last thing in the log:

===========================================================
[31/12/2003 15:01:52] Duration was: 29 minutes 23 seconds
[31/12/2003 15:01:52] Speed was: 85.21 fps.
EXCEPTION: Floating point division by zero
[31/12/2003 15:01:53] Job finished.

Is this just due to the fact the I've used the new XVID codec rather than the bundled one? Or is somthing more sinister going on?

Takasho.
Takasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 13:23   #1085  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by Takasho
Is this just due to the fact the I've used the new XVID codec rather than the bundled one?
Yes, betas of XviD 1.0 are not supported yet...
Old 3rd January 2004, 17:41   #1086  |  Link
Takasho

Thanks, I'll remove the beta and give it a whirl.
Takasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 21:32   #1087  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Re: Re: Re: Re: A bit too much cropping?

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
One should be able to make AddBorders on the fly in one AVS script
Well thought.
Quote:
But I do belive that one should only do that when going for maximum resolution mode.
IMHO, it is idealy suited for quality-based archives, were you want to keep as much of the film pixel and resolution possible.

I'm doing some tests ATM with DVD2SVCD and FACAR, to generate 704x480 (crop 8 pixeles by side, keep the height) MPEG2 streams, which as you are aware, is equivalent in geometry to 640x480 with square pixels, with the advantage of being playable both on a standalone and on a PC connected to a projector.
Quote:
(this is gonna be magic file I believe )
LOL. My Harry Potter DVDs ar waiting for it
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 13:37   #1088  |  Link
BloodyRipper

what about translations of AutoGK?
BloodyRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 16:13   #1089  |  Link
zerocoolnl

If you need somebody for Dutch translations, here I am
I gonna translate that guide too, very usefull.

Zerocoolnl
Old 4th January 2004, 17:50   #1090  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Spanish in line too
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
Old 4th January 2004, 19:06   #1091  |  Link
BloodyRipper

yeah, i can do the polish trans, sure
BloodyRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 19:24   #1092  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Polygonize option in VobSub

Quote:
I see no option in idx file to accomplish that...
Hmm .. Neither do I.
I find it odd that DirectVobSub have the option while VobSub does not.
Maybe Gabest can clarify this ?

BTW : Any idea why I'm missing some of the subtitles in "Ciderhouse" ?
CeeJay.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 03:24   #1093  |  Link
yotsuya-san

Nessun italiano? I'm here for italian translation.
yotsuya-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 04:29   #1094  |  Link
guspasho

Hey I'm back for another question. I have Volume 1 of Family Guy, and I'd like to compress each episode individually so each one is a different file. Is there a better way to do this? It just seems like the most natural way to accomplish it. More pertinantly, how can I rip my DVDs so each episode is ripped (and therefore can be compressed) seperately? I don't know how to do this with DVD Decrypter, and I tried this with SmartRipper but to no avail, AutoGK kept stalling during the demuxing process starting with episode 3. (I have no idea why 1 and 2 worked when 3 and 4 didn't.)

Suggestions? TIA.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 10:13   #1095  |  Link
mikeathome

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome
@len0x:
(...)
Could you pls. add an option to save segmented AVI with custom size setting, size 2000MB. This would perfectly overcome this limitation since the player automatically skips to the next AVI seamlessy, at least with current firmware.
Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman
You can do this yourself with vdub ..
... sure I did, takes ~10min add'l useless time.
Quote:
(...)
plus what sort of xvid encode NEEDS more than 2gb.. surely your overdoing thigs .. average compression rate about 10:1 (xvid) your source cant be 20GB!! maybe 2gb is limit of the avi container (20bit addressing or such like?) or is 2gb maximum limit of ANY file on dvd, remember std dvd is broken into 1gb chunks (vobs)..AFAIK.
... have you ever done LOTR SE, surely not. It's 3h48min PAL 2 with 448kpbs 6ch AC3 and I WANT IT 704x288 !!!

happy new year to all of you, mike

P.S.
File Size limit of any file on DVD (UDF/ISO bridge) is 4GIG, which is played till the 2Gig size border.

Last edited by mikeathome; 5th January 2004 at 10:19.
mikeathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 15:22   #1096  |  Link
yotsuya-san

Quote:
Originally posted by manono
Hi-

You have a stereo source, and you want mono output? It's not going to happen anytime soon, I don't think. Quite a few of us (including len0x) want to be able to output mono, when there's a dual channel mono source. But it's not quite that easy to do. All the tests I've done with BeSweet with a Stereo AC3 source results in garbage when I try and convert it to mono. I think it depends on BeSweet improving the mono conversion from stereo.

Hi manono, I've seen some dvds which have a mono 1.0 ac3 audio (Allen, Kubrick, Chaplin, Laurel&Hardy, The Deer Hunter), so I think that the best solution to not waste space for audio and gain some for video is to encode, if you choose mp3, the audio in mono. If you select, let's say, 64 kbps in mp3 audio bitrate AND the ac3 is 1.0, AutoGK could output a mono mp3.
Latest versions of BeSweet (the ones included in GK >0.28.5) solved the bug in mp3 mono encodings.
I don't have a dvd of that kind now, and I don't know it AutoGk already does this!

Bye, Yotsuya.
Old 5th January 2004, 15:37   #1097  |  Link
draGOAn
DVDripper

Yepp!

This is a longawaited stuff!!!
Thank you very much for it!
Old 5th January 2004, 17:49   #1098  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

@len0x:

I suggest changing the Step 3: Select output size dialog to something like this :
Code:
.--Step 3: Select output size----.
| .--Selection an option:------. |
| | [2] X [ 80min CD (700MB) ] | |
| |       [ Custom Size      ] | |
| |  _                         | |
| | (_) Target Quality   [  ]% | |   
| '----------------------------' |      
'--------------------------------'
This way is just as easy to use as the old one but offers more options for the advanced user.
You can choose exactly how many pieces you want the movie in and how big thoose pieces should be.

I suggest some default choices like theese :
Code:
       | 74min CD (650MB)      |
       | 80min CD (700MB)      |
       | DVD max filesize (2GB)|
       | Unlimited Size        |
       '-----------------------'
Perhaps the Custom size could also be entered into the dropdown menuitem so it functions as a browser locationbar would.

You could also make the Target Quality option obey the size choosen so that the final file would be split into pieces of that size.

Kind Regards
CeeJay
Old 5th January 2004, 18:05   #1099  |  Link
G2k

Yotsuya-san, qui ci sono anch'io che ipoteticamente potrei tradurre, but I'm too damn lazy to do anything ^_^. Gomennasai
G2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 19:04   #1100  |  Link
liteoni

When is XviD 1.0 supporting version going to be available? 1.0 would be a lot faster than koepi's binary from june...
liteoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 19:14   #1101  |  Link
AZEncoder

I got distracted!!!!!!

@len0x

This is a minor user interface issue. I love how the settings in the advanced dialog are sticky from one use of AutoGK to the next.

After having to encode the same movie three times in order to get it to the "right" size, (I got distracted, yes, twice, see what kids will do for you). I am hoping that you can see fit to allow the settings in Step 3: Select output size to be sticky as well or you could allow for different profiles to be saved.

I know this may not be on the top of the list but it would be nice.

Thanks for a great product.

AZEncoder

Last edited by AZEncoder; 7th January 2004 at 03:11.
AZEncoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2004, 19:45   #1102  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Quote:
Originally posted by liteoni
When is XviD 1.0 supporting version going to be available? 1.0 would be a lot faster than koepi's binary from june...
Len0x said that it needs to be stable first , so I suspect he will look into it when it have reached 1.0 Final.

I'm also looking forward to Xvid 1.0 in AutoGK as it's not only supposed to be faster but should also produce better quality.
Old 5th January 2004, 22:04   #1103  |  Link
manono

yatsuya-san-

I've seen some dvds which have a mono 1.0 ac3 audio (Allen, Kubrick, Chaplin, Laurel&Hardy, The Deer Hunter), so I think that the best solution to not waste space for audio and gain some for video is to encode, if you choose mp3, the audio in mono.

I certainly agree with you there. I haven't used AutoGK on any DVDs with DD 1.0 audio, so I'm not positive about this, but I think you'll get a 2 channel MP3 (as you seem to say). The Laurel And Hardy DVD's funny, isn't it?

Latest versions of BeSweet (the ones included in GK >0.28.5) solved the bug in mp3 mono encodings.

It works now? That's good to know. That's something for len0x to think about including now. I didn't switch to the latest BeSweet because DSPguru has removed support for the ac3enc.dll, and I use that sometimes, flawed though it is.
Old 5th January 2004, 22:11   #1104  |  Link
Ogig

Re: Yepp!

First of all I'd quickly like to thank len0x for his great tool -- after lurking the board for almost two years it has made me register with Doom9. It has been working nicely for me since the early betas and is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for effort!

Second, allow me to make a small cosmetical suggestion. CeeJay.dk already pointed out some improvements to Step 3, how about changing the title of the section to "Select output quality/size" which fits better IMO. The section could contain two elements, one for size based quality (see CeeJay.dk's sugesstion), and one for quality percentage. I would also remove the "Maximum quality" entry from size based choice as it confuses the noobs and does not fit there (I remember though from reading this thread that it is not the same as 100% quality).

P.S. Is there another way to donate beside Paypal ? If you have a bank account in Europe...
Ogig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2004, 08:46   #1105  |  Link
wertert

@r6d2

Quote:
Originally posted by r6d2
Then don't worry about space. Look at the quants with fddshow. Compare the ones from you satisfactory size-based encodes and choose the equivalent percentage from len0x formula: percentage=200/quant for your quality ones.

67% (2/3) is what gets you quant 3, almost perfect.
Thanks for the advice - almost perfect is what I'm after. fddshow seems to give me frame by frame quants of between 2 and 5. Encoding at quality 67% seems to give good results but I seem to hit certain movies which seem to end up very large. ie TIGERLAND PAL 2.6Gb (1.5 hours )! whereas CONTACT PAL 1.6Gb (>2 hours)

I was wondering if you have ever tested with higher quants ie encoding at 65 / 62 %. I have performed a few tests and I can't really tell the difference ( on a 15 inch monitor ). I guess I'm asking (and I have searched !) what quality/quant I could go to and stay 'almost perfect'. Another option is to drop the frame size to say 640 and keep the quality.

Thanks in advance - wert
wertert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2004, 09:59   #1106  |  Link
manono

Hi-

Tigerland's one of the famous difficult-to-compress movies. See all the noise in there, the stuff that looks like a pack of mosquitos swarming all over the screen? That's very hard to encode. Didn't r6d2 say a few pages back that at highest quality, Saving Private Ryan came in at over 8 GB? It's twice as long, and at quant 3 might be about twice the size as yours (because about twice as long as Tigerland). Different movies just compress differently.

But his quant 3/67% suggestion is a good one. In general though, the more noise, scratches, nicks, age the source has, the higher you can let the average quant go and still have it look good. Noise hides a lot of faults. In an extreme case such as Tigerland, you could probably let it go down to quant 4/50% and not notice any difference.
Old 6th January 2004, 10:39   #1107  |  Link
wertert

@manono

I'm glad you mentioned that tigerland is difficult to encode. I've also got the band of brothers box set so I seem to remember that is quite noisy as well.

I know there are no magic answers but all of my movies encoded at 67% seem to look good. I'm just wondering what would happen if I dropped it to 62% ( 704x? ). Would you really see a difference ? All very subjective i know ...

BTW TIGERLAND encoded at 65% came in at 1.9 Gb so 2% difference reduced the final size by 800MB ! And once again I can't see any difference.....then again i've only got a small screen at the moment.

Have you come across any postings where people have performed quant/percentage testing ? I seem to remember Johny Owl doing something on this a way back.....

thanks again

wert
Old 6th January 2004, 11:39   #1108  |  Link
manono

Yeah, Band Of Brothers is like SPR, with the added noise, and the desaturated colors, to give it that old-timey newsreel look. So it's also hard to compress.

I am surprised that you got the filesize down so much though, by changing to 65% from 67%. If all the other settings were the same, I'd say something was screwy somewhere.

jonny's the reigning expert on quality percentage .vs ave quant (and r6d2 in the MPEG2 area), and he's done all kinds of tests. Here are some (6th post from the top):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...0&pagenumber=2

And the figures depend on how you set up the quality setting. len0x's may be different from the one in that post, I don't know. But that whole thread (started by our friend Tuning, originator of the AutoGK name) is about the things you asked, and is valuable reading.
Old 6th January 2004, 12:36   #1109  |  Link
wertert

very interesting. I think you are right about something being screwy. I will rerun the tests as I'm rebuilding my machines today from scratch.....
Old 6th January 2004, 13:30   #1110  |  Link
jdion81

funds

@len0x

Mine are a little on the non-existant side but I figure I use your program enough to warrant a sort of thank you, So I have sent you a Thank YOU! AutoGK Rocks!
jdion81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2004, 14:53   #1111  |  Link
yotsuya-san

(Slightly OT)

Quote:
The Laurel And Hardy DVD's funny, isn't it?
I like Keaton and Chaplin better, but I think Stanlio e Ollio (in italian) are one of the funniest couple of the movie history. I'm going to buy at least one of the cheap italian versions on DVD of their films, which do you suggest ? (I've never seen "A chump at Oxford")
I'll use it to see how AutoGK handle those crappy 4:3 old noisy not-remastered movies...

Bye, Yotsuya.
Old 6th January 2004, 17:10   #1112  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Re: (Slightly OT)

Quote:
Originally posted by yotsuya-san

I'll use it to see how AutoGK handle those crappy 4:3 old noisy not-remastered movies...
I have the Aristocats DVD here and it's noisy and 4:3.
AutoGK doesn't handle it too well .. all the noise is too much for the undot filter and it doesn't compress well , being 4:3 only makes this worse.
Old 6th January 2004, 17:27   #1113  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
But his quant 3/67% suggestion is a good one. In general though, the more noise, scratches, nicks, age the source has, the higher you can let the average quant go and still have it look good.
Alternatively, difficult to compress movies can also be "fixed" to fit a reasonable size by a good convolution 3D filter (like Deen()).

This way you would not sacrifice quant or frame size.

Maybe a good idea would be to trigger that if at comp. test phase len0x finds the movie is one of those. It will surely would be a nice to have for newbies (or even veterans) that get surprised by giant output files.

The drawback is that Deen() reduces speed a lot (maybe 50%), but it is still well suited for a quality based encoding, the matter at hand, since it is only one pass.
Old 7th January 2004, 17:14   #1114  |  Link
wertert

Quote:
I am surprised that you got the filesize down so much though, by changing to 65% from 67%. If all the other settings were the same, I'd say something was screwy somewhere.
Hi there

Rebuilt my machines

encoded tigerland again. Only quality setting changed. Results are

67% quality - 2,688,925,696 test@67.avi
65% quality - 2,033,575,936 test@65.avi

so about 650Mb difference for 2% !

I'm running a 62% quality just to see.
Old 7th January 2004, 17:48   #1115  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by wertert

It might be a bug. See, 66% is exactly quant 3, so if I'm doing some wrong rounding either with 65% or 67% then quant might be changed dramatically...
Old 7th January 2004, 19:11   #1116  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
It might be a bug. See, 66% is exactly quant 3, so if I'm doing some wrong rounding either with 65% or 67% then quant might be changed dramatically...
I tried 65,66,67 % and 67 is definitely wrong...

*Edit Later* In fact so far 67,68,69,70 % produces exactly the same output file (bit to bit). I checked and codec settings are modified properly, so something fishy going on with xvid itself... Trying 71-75% now...

Last edited by len0x; 7th January 2004 at 21:12.
Old 7th January 2004, 21:52   #1117  |  Link
wertert

Quote:
Originally posted by wertert

so about 650Mb difference for 2% !

I'm running a 62% quality just to see.
just to let you know that same encode at 62% is

1,965,852,672 bytes

which seems more like it.

Unless AUTOGK is doing something special with the codec settings at 67% quality then it looks like the codec is up to something strange.
Old 8th January 2004, 06:30   #1118  |  Link
rantingotaku

quick question,

is it possible to use subtitles included on the DVD, as well as custom subtitles to be "burned" onto the video together? (ex. the subs for an intro song, then some custom translation subs? ).

thanks.
rantingotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 15:00   #1119  |  Link
mordant

Is it possible to select a range for a film...start and finish? Maybe stop DVD2AVI and select a range than continue with AutoGK?
mordant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 15:04   #1120  |  Link
wertert

Quote:
Originally posted by mordant
Is it possible to select a range for a film...start and finish? Maybe stop DVD2AVI and select a range than continue with AutoGK?
Yes - I use dvd2avi to crop off the credits at the end of a movie.

I've never cut off the beginning from a movie. I think you would end up with subtitle sync etc.

wert