Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 28th December 2003, 08:22   #1041  |  Link
manono

Hi-

But to get even fair quality for a 22 minute episode you have to set the size to 100 MB

I don't think most people would put more than 4 22 minute episodes on a CD, so that would work out to 175 MB or so, depending on the resolution. So what resolution are you using, and what kind of compression percentages is AutoGK giving you? And animation is much more difficult to compress than one might think. One of the problems is the dark lines that outline everything. And you'll often see all kinds of artifacts around them. And another problem is the solid masses of color which can often show as a bunch of blocks of similar colors. One way to improve them is to give them a higher bitrate (i.e., a larger file size).
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2003, 10:39   #1042  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: Subs not taken

Quote:
Originally posted by r6d2
@len0x,

It has happened to me several times that subs are not burnt on the output stream. For instance, on Matrix Reloaded, I ripped all extras to different folders. Then I tried to AutoGK them separately.

1. Making of the highway scene: worked OK (congrats on a perfect AutoIVTC)

2. Find the exit: no subs. Audio is out of sync too.
So, sometimes it finds winrar and sometimes it doesn't ?
Am I right to assume:

- if burnt in subs selected they always burnt in (given that you dealing with first PGC)
- if external subs are selected then sometimes winrar is not found
- in those cases when switching to internal subs causes no subs at all to be displayed

I might now what can be wrong in third case (have to check that).

@All

I'm gonna start using naming convention from DVDDecrypter for Angle & PGC selection, so all those related problems should be gone at some point. (Also looks like DVDDecrypter 3.1.8 changed structure in stream info file for subs, so you might get weird results with that)
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2003, 16:52   #1043  |  Link
duwde

ÌVTC on Progressive patterns.

Hi len0x,

Before anything, congratulations for GKIF4U (now AutoGK) !!

I've found a issue with hybrid sources (x-files episodes for example, in this log, season 1 - episode 2), the final avi "skip some frames", take a look in the logs (btw, I'm no video expert, so forgive me if I'm completly wrong about this subject) :

[28/12/2003 05:06:01] Source has percentage of interlacing in motion areas: 37,25
[28/12/2003 05:06:01] Source has percentage of telecined patterns: 80,24
[28/12/2003 05:06:01] Source has percentage of progressive patterns: 10,94
[28/12/2003 05:06:01] Source has percentage of interlaced patterns: 8,82
[28/12/2003 05:06:01] Source is considered to be hybrid (mostly FILM).

Why don't add a option in the adveced menu, like "What to do if it's Hybrid: ()Auto ()IVTC ()Normal. By normal I mean don't use IVTC and leave the output avi at 29.97fps. The auto option would be safe for begginers.

I know that, as you state clearly in the logs, it's mostly FILM, but the progressive pattern won't look any good in the resulting AVI and I'd rather have a non optinal compression using 29.97, than have this effect of skiping frames.

Yes, I know that I can use GordianKnot (and I do), and that you don't wanna make AutoGK as complex as the original GK, but I think it would make AutoGK even better, and able to generate perfect AVIs, even when using hybrid sources. What do you think about it ?
duwde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2003, 01:34   #1044  |  Link
manono

Hi duwde-

Since I had a hand in recommending what to do about hybrid sources, I feel partly responsible for what you're seeing. As you know, hybrids are real hard to make look good in .avi. If it were MPEG2, then you could go ahead and encode it as interlaced for playback on a TV, but with .avis, you can't. Neither of the choices you have are that good. According to that log, you've got about 91% progressive, IVTCable material, and you IVTC that and it looks good. The remaining 9% or so is interlaced, and Decomb's Mode=3 will make it look better than a straight IVTC (not quite as jerky), but the blending it does to make it play more smoothly is far from perfect, and will leave those video portions still slightly jerky, like it's missing frames.

But there are 2 alternatives left if you want to make the whole thing 29.97. One is to use Decomb's Mode=1 (as AutoGK would do if the result were hybrid (mostly VIDEO)). That deinterlaces the video portions, and they'll play reasonably smoothly. But with that remaining 91%, it IVTC's and then adds back another frame by blending together 2 adjacent frames. The result there is that the whole thing is 29.97fps, but 91% of that plays blurry because of the blended frames, and it will also stutter very slightly, because of the added blended frame in every 4 frames. In addition, you take a real quality hit when encoding for the same file size, because you now have 25% more frames than before.

And the other alternative is to deinterlace the whole thing, as you can do in GKnot. For me anyway, that's a really lousy choice, because not only are you deinterlacing the 9% video, but also the other 91% progressive frames. And the end result is not so good, in my opinion. I guess that's what you're doing when you use GKnot for the X-Files, or other hybrid material.

It's a tough call. Personally, I'd rather get 23.976fps, have a higher quality for the same file size, and put up with the slight jerkiness during the video portions. I understand your point of view that you really don't like the "skipping frames". But none of the solutions are really any good. But I can't speak for len0x, and maybe he'll have something to say about it.

I think it would make AutoGK even better, and able to generate perfect AVIs

Better men than you or I have attempted to solve this problem, and I don't think anyone has yet generated perfect .avis. If you search up in the AviSynth forum on this subject, you should find quite a few threads about this subject. Also, the Decomb Help file has more information about Decimate's Mode=1 and Mode=3
Old 29th December 2003, 05:31   #1045  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

A bit too much cropping?

@len0x,

I just finished T3 with 640 width. Output was 640x256. Seems to me that 7 lines were cropped from the source, originally anamorphic 720x357 (black bars cropped).

Is this guess of mine (cropping of 7 lines) correct? if it is, don't you think it may be a little too much? (about 2%)

It certainly gives you the most perfect AR, and precludes some rounding limitations of certain filters, but maybe that idea of encoding little back bars to keep the whole height may be revisited.

What do you think?
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2003, 17:25   #1046  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by manono
It's a tough call. Personally, I'd rather get 23.976fps, have a higher quality for the same file size, and put up with the slight jerkiness during the video portions. I understand your point of view that you really don't like the "skipping frames". But none of the solutions are really any good. But I can't speak for len0x, and maybe he'll have something to say about it.
I think strategy I'm using now is ideal, but implementation can be slightly improved. I mean thresholds for decimate can be tuned to get it working exactly as that statistics' telling you (I'm slowly working on that). After that it will get as good as it gets I think for CFR solution. The only better choice would be VFR in such container as matroska, but I doubt that those files will ever be very compatible with standalones...
Old 29th December 2003, 17:32   #1047  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: A bit too much cropping?

Quote:

It certainly gives you the most perfect AR, and precludes some rounding limitations of certain filters, but maybe that idea of encoding little back bars to keep the whole height may be revisited.
Well, it all comes from the fact that height has to be mod 16.
And it's difficult to keep black bars, coz crop is done automatically via autocrop plugin, so i really don't have much freedom in this process (I supply just AR I want to keep and that's it). And if I'm not mistaken autocrop will never leave black bars, but only can keep certain AR...

P.S. any news on those subs problems of yours ?
Old 29th December 2003, 19:32   #1048  |  Link
AZEncoder

@len0x

Just curious if you have any ideas about the two issues I have run into.

1) forced subtitles issue. Being the nooby that I have not been able to determine whether this is the same issue that R6D2 is asking about. It looks like it is, but I can't tell for sure. If so what additional testing could I do to help sort out the problem?

Here's a link to my description of the forced subtitle issue:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...&pagenumber=26

Issue #1 Resolved Just had to figure out that the Subtitles identified as Spanish (third set of Spanish subtitles no less) were the right ones for forced subtitles even though they weren't identified as such.

2) file not found error with DVD2AVI via AutoGK, but DVD2AVI works fine standalone on PII 450Mhz dual processor system.
I have since installed it on an additional system that is single processor with W2K SP4 and it works there as well. I have another PII 450Mhz dual processor system. So I will test it on it as well to see what the scoop is. Do you think it could have anything to do with the RAID 5 subsystem? all of the single proc systems are all running on IDE drives.

If any one has any ideas please let me know and I will do what ever testing any one suggests for either of these two issues.

Thanks!

AZEncoder

Last edited by AZEncoder; 5th January 2004 at 19:06.
AZEncoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2003, 20:05   #1049  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Re: Re: A bit too much cropping?

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
And if I'm not mistaken autocrop will never leave black bars, but only can keep certain AR...
According to the docs(1), there are TopAdd and BottomAdd parameters (default to 0) which let you sort of handle that and keep small black bars. Don't know if they can be negative though.

(1) There is a small bug in AutoCrop docs. The order of parameters is wrong. A fixed doc version is included with FACAR.

But if that does not work as expected, you may try just use log mode, read the AutoCrop.log file (get top and height), and use regular crop afterwards and AddBorders to pad the bottom (or evenly spread the black bars among top and bottom) to have Mod 16 height (I do that in FACAR to support "As Seen on TV" mode).
Quote:
P.S. any news on those subs problems of yours ?
Sorry, I did not notice you needed more feedback. Rereading your previous post I can only comment that I have WinRAR installed in the usual folder (same registry entry you check) and always get the not detected message.

If I check external subs I get a not detected message and the check button unchecks itself. The .params file is empty and no index file gets created, even though DVD2SVCD finds correctly the subs reading the same VOBs. Tried forced subs only with no luck either.

I thought it might have something to do with preview mode, so I started doing preview always. But the result is the same.

Perhaps it is related to the third case you mention. If you want me to do specific tests please don't hesitate to ask.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2003, 00:12   #1050  |  Link
AZEncoder

Re: Re: Re: A bit too much cropping? @r6d2

Quote:

Sorry, I did not notice you needed more feedback. Rereading your previous post I can only comment that I have WinRAR installed in the usual folder (same registry entry you check) and always get the not detected message.

If I check external subs I get a not detected message and the check button unchecks itself. The .params file is empty and no index file gets created, even though DVD2SVCD finds correctly the subs reading the same VOBs. Tried forced subs only with no luck either.

I thought it might have something to do with preview mode, so I started doing preview always. But the result is the same.

Perhaps it is related to the third case you mention. If you want me to do specific tests please don't hesitate to ask. [/B]
I am beginning to feel that the problem you are experiencing with sub's is related to the problem I am having with forced sub's. If you are interested, take a look at my post on the test's I have done.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...&pagenumber=26

Maybe with both of us testing and providing input len0x can figure out what is going wrong.

AZEncoder

Last edited by AZEncoder; 30th December 2003 at 00:16.
Old 30th December 2003, 18:22   #1051  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

I've found a workaround for the bug that prevents AutoGK from finding Winrar for the external subtitles.

The problem is that the Registry key that AutoGK detects is not the path to Winrar but the path to the start-up folder.

Upon installation of Winrar the two are the same , but since Winrar remembers the last used folder and sets it to be the startup folder then this key will quickly change.

The workaround is simple .. open Winrar and browse to the Winrar folder and then close winrar.

Now the startup folder contains the winrar .exe and AutoGK will find Winrar.

You can also make this startup folder setting permanent by editing Winrar's setting , while we wait for Len0x to fix AutoGK and make it detect the correct registry key.
CeeJay.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2003, 20:43   #1052  |  Link
GizmoDerMokwai
Xubuntu21.04 AVS+3.7 x265

hiho, using DVD Decrypter 3.1.9.0 i recognized, that i no more got the "Stream Information.txt", now it has the vob name in front of it, like "VTS_01 - Stream Information.txt". So the think is, that AutoGK doesn't recognize the folder as a dvd decrypter ripped one. don't know, if ther's a dvddecrypter option to change...
Old 31st December 2003, 09:51   #1053  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by CeeJay.dk
Upon installation of Winrar the two are the same , but since Winrar remembers the last used folder and sets it to be the startup folder then this key will quickly change.
Oops Bummer... I'll be switching to uninstall key of winrar then (couldn't find install key so far). Thanks for pointing it out. One down then
Old 31st December 2003, 09:57   #1054  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by GizmoDerMokwai
hiho, using DVD Decrypter 3.1.9.0 i recognized, that i no more got the "Stream Information.txt", now it has the vob name in front of it, like "VTS_01 - Stream Information.txt". So the think is, that AutoGK doesn't recognize the folder as a dvd decrypter ripped one. don't know, if ther's a dvddecrypter option to change...
File was always in the form of "VTS_?? - Stream Information.txt". But in new DVDDecrypter 3.1.8 or higher format was changed indeed (subs basically), I already changed that in AutoGK, but for the time being you have to use 3.1.7...
Old 31st December 2003, 10:52   #1055  |  Link
Sasa

Best tool ever

Hi len0x,

first, thanks for this awesome tool.

One Problem I am having. I tried to encode HERO DVD to XviD with different quality settings (max, 3cd, 70%), but on my stand alone device Centrum Gemini 330 I get a lot of white ripple effects in the picture. For example when there is white text running from bottom to top it looks like the letters are dragged through milk. I don't know how to better explain it. When I do the same encode in DivX it works. So far I haven't had any problems with XviD and the only thing I can conclude from the change log is that you turned on Chroma Optimization by default. I never used that before. On the PC everything looks fine.

I would much rather be using XviD especially after reading doom9's new comparison this morning. The Problem with the DivX clip is that I can not forward or rewind it on my player. Also the first time that happened.

I am very much looking forward to donate for the 1.0 version. Thanks for sharing such a great app with us.
Sasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 11:07   #1056  |  Link
wertert

Hi Len0x

Happy new year !

Quick question. A weeks ago there was a question mark over the future of the 'target quality' encode option. ie 1 pass. I understood that it was going to be dropped from the xvid codec. I currently use this option for alot of my encode and go for about 67% quality+ac3 sound. I probably should start using 2 pass if it's on the way out.

wertert
wertert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 11:14   #1057  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by wertert
I understood that it was going to be dropped from the xvid codec.
That is yet to be determined. First, XviD 1.0 final is not out yet. Second i will have to look at "zones" settings in it to see if I can fake quality mode with it in case "quality mode" will not appear in the final version.
Old 31st December 2003, 12:01   #1058  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Quote:
Oops Bummer... I'll be switching to uninstall key of winrar then (couldn't find install key so far). Thanks for pointing it out. One down then
As I understand you're reading :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\WinRAR.exe\Path

While you should be reading :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\WinRAR.exe\@

I exported the section from my registry and it looks like this :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\WinRAR.exe]
@="C:\\Program Files\\WinRAR\\WinRAR.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\WinRAR\\"

Previously "Path" pointed to a different path and it wouldn't work but I'm using the workaround now and so "Path" points to the folder that contains Winrar.exe

Now I have no problems encoding external subtitles .. other than that I'm currently unable to encode the subtitles from one of my DVD rips but I guess that is because I used DVDdecryptor 3.1.8.0 to rip it and as you say it has a slightly different format.

I'll wait until you release a version soon that is compatible with this new format.

External subtitles rocks btw .. Unlike subtitles that are encoded into the movie I can place theese under the moviepicture as God had intended it
This way they don't disturb the picture and the feature scales down gracefully as standalones simply leave them be.
I don't care about standalones anyway - I don't own one and neither do anyone I know. In fact I have never seen one and they are only sold in few places.
All the people I know watch Xvid/DivX movies on PC's , either using monitors or TVout.

Though you are going to encode the subtitles into the movie, could it be encoded like DirectVobSub renders it with the Poloygonize option turned ON ?
It looks much better this way , and I believe that this is the way that most subtitles look on the original DVD.

BTW Happy Newyears to all !

Cheers !
- CeeJay
Old 31st December 2003, 14:54   #1059  |  Link
CeeJay.dk

Quote:
Originally posted by me

Now I have no problems encoding external subtitles ..
Whoops .. I spoke too soon.

I have just finished a 2 CD encode of "Ciderhouse" with danish subtitles and about 1h 20m into the movie the subtitles disappears.
Up to the end at 2h 00m there are no subtitles.

This flaw is present both in a 1 CD encode I did first and in the unsplit 2 CD encode and the split version.

Shall I post some files to help diagnose the problem ?
If so .. which ?
Old 31st December 2003, 19:48   #1060  |  Link
CapBoy

Hi there.

First of all, congratulations for your work len0x

I have a problem though, I'm ripping the episodes of Buffy, The Vampire Slayer (seasons 1,2,3) which are interlaced.

I tried to rip those episodes with GordianKnot 0.28.5 with TransMoComp filter, and everything worked out just fine.

But with AutoGKNOT what happens is that the AVI created (and with gordian knot 0.28.8 transmocomp's filter this also happens) has some frame like this:

I have GordianKnot 0.28.5 and this isn't happening, which is weird because I think TransMoComp filter is the same in both GordianKnot versions.
With AUTOGKNOT I don't have any tought.

If somebody could help me, I would apreciate.

PS: I'm Portuguese, sorry for my bad English.
CapBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2003, 20:03   #1061  |  Link
JWillE

AVI Input

Feature Request: Avi input

I recently purchased a standalone player that of course doesn't accept features such as qpel and gmc. I know it isn't recommended to reencode but for a newbie like myself this seems to be the only way to achieve compatibility of some of my backups, in which case it would be nice if AutoGK would accept avi input. Since AutoGK is already tuned for standalone compatibility this would help people like myself salvage those backups. Time would not be of much concern. I don't know if there is a simplier and/or quicker way to do this but AutoGK has great for me on my DVD backups.

Thx for your efforts,
JWillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2004, 01:47   #1062  |  Link
Wolfman
spice captain

Become the first of the First. no party how sad
Old 1st January 2004, 04:02   #1063  |  Link
AZEncoder

Forced Sub's

First let me say that I am stoked. I mentioned in an earlier message that AutoGK had inspired me to learn more about the tools and get to the point where I could learn to capitalize on regular "GK". That point in time came today wooooohoooooo!!!!!!!! What a great way to close out the year. Encoded a movie today with GK, it looks great and sounds great. I know that I have a long way to go to learn all of the "deep dive" details, but it feels great to understand the basic usage of the different tools and be able to take off the training wheels of AutoGK. I plan on using AutoGK for a very long time considering it works superbly in 99% of the circumstances.

I have some additional clues in my effort to figure out what is going on with the forced subtitles in "Die Another Day". First I had to figure out what I was doing wrong with VobSub.

Here is what I discovered. If others have enlightenment please comment. manono gave me some tips (thx manono) on how to use VobSub to find forced sub's, well none of the forced sub's showed up in VobSub with the forced sub indicator, instead there was an additional sub that contained nothing but a gray block right before a cell where all of the sub's should be forced. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is this an additional standard way of doing forced sub's?

I will be experimenting with VobSub in order to figure out how to get it encoded correctly.

Thanks for all of the hard work by len0x and all of the other "Tool Wizards"

I hope everyone's 2004 is a rewarding and fun year!!!

AZEncoder
Old 1st January 2004, 05:18   #1064  |  Link
jdion81

Die Another Day Subs

@len0x

I want to applaud your efforts in making a FoolProof tool for encoding Divx and Xvid videos, I have been trying to learn how to do this regular GK. AutoGK will help me to understand what I am doing with regular GK.

@AZEncoder

I have been working with the Die another Day DVD and I am seeing what you have seen with it. In AutoGK in the subtitle drop-down list I have found that the correct (English Forced Subs) subtitles to use are the third or fourth Spanish subtitles in the list. Now when I do a preview of the video in AutoGK it looks fine and plays the video and Subs fine and in sync. When I run the encode, the resulting video is great and the first few instances where the subs should be are fine. When you get about the middle of the movie the subs are out of sync. Now that I have found the right track anyone know why the subs would be out of sync with AutoGK?

I am using AutoGK version 0.8 on a 1.5 GHz AMD 512 DDR, 100gb drive with WinXP Pro.
jdion81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2004, 03:25   #1065  |  Link
AZEncoder

Re: Die Another Day Subs

@jdion81

You are correct that it is the third set of Spanish subtitles that are really the English forced subtitles. Thanks for pointing that out. I missed that one (major brain cramp). I re-did the encode with AutoGK using the third set of "spanish" subtitles a.k.a. English forced subtitles and it turned out just the way it was supposed to.

Now as far as your suggestion that I might help you figure out how to get the subtitles for the rest of the movie back in synch. I am experimenting but, because of my relative inexperience and newness to the details and intricacies of VobSub and it's re-sync capabilities I don't have an answer yet. Perhaps someone else has enough knowledge that they could shorten both of our learning curves. I will continue to fiddle with it, but it may take a while to figure out.

Quote:
Originally posted by jdion81
@AZEncoder

I have been working with the Die another Day DVD and I am seeing what you have seen with it. In AutoGK in the subtitle drop-down list I have found that the correct (English Forced Subs) subtitles to use are the third or fourth Spanish subtitles in the list. Now when I do a preview of the video in AutoGK it looks fine and plays the video and Subs fine and in sync. When I run the encode, the resulting video is great and the first few instances where the subs should be are fine. When you get about the middle of the movie the subs are out of sync. Now that I have found the right track anyone know why the subs would be out of sync with AutoGK?

I am using AutoGK version 0.8 on a 1.5 GHz AMD 512 DDR, 100gb drive with WinXP Pro. [/B]
Old 2nd January 2004, 14:06   #1066  |  Link
calinb

Re: Re: A bit too much cropping?

Quote:
And if I'm not mistaken autocrop will never leave black bars,...
I just started using AutoGK to encode DVDs that I've authored from my ReplayTV mpeg2 files. The top of my video contains television blanking noise within the black bar (at least that's what I think it is.) Because of this, autocrop retains the top black bar and all the bit-robbing noise. I need to crop 16 pixels down from the top to correct this. Does anyone have any workarounds, ideas, or plans for future AutoGK features that might help me? Maybe the upcoming config file will help.

Thanks len0x! AutoGK is becoming impressively stable and refined very rapidly.
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2004, 16:16   #1067  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by CeeJay.dk
Though you are going to encode the subtitles into the movie, could it be encoded like DirectVobSub renders it with the Poloygonize option turned ON ?
It looks much better this way , and I believe that this is the way that most subtitles look on the original DVD.
I see no option in idx file to accomplish that...
Old 2nd January 2004, 16:20   #1068  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by CapBoy
I have GordianKnot 0.28.5 and this isn't happening, which is weird because I think TransMoComp filter is the same in both GordianKnot versions.
With AUTOGKNOT I don't have any tought.
I assume you're using different version of avisynth for both cases?
Try manually installing 2.5.2/2.5.3.2/2.5.4 alpha and compare results...
Old 2nd January 2004, 16:26   #1069  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: AVI Input

Quote:
Originally posted by JWillE
Feature Request: Avi input
It will take some time to get AutoGK to work on any source (I won't be doing specific AVI support, but rather generic DirectShow support). The problem with AVI-2-AVI reencoding (not conversion) that you have to deal with audio as well (i.e. demux etc). It doesn't really fit into current framework...
Old 2nd January 2004, 16:28   #1070  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: Re: Die Another Day Subs

Quote:
Originally posted by AZEncoder

You are correct that it is the third set of Spanish subtitles that are really the English forced subtitles.
I wonder if you can try to rip it with DVDDecrypter 3.1.9 and see if sub streams are correctly recognized ?
Old 2nd January 2004, 16:35   #1071  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: Re: Re: A bit too much cropping?

Quote:
Originally posted by calinb
I just started using AutoGK to encode DVDs that I've authored from my ReplayTV mpeg2 files. The top of my video contains television blanking noise within the black bar (at least that's what I think it is.) Because of this, autocrop retains the top black bar and all the bit-robbing noise. I need to crop 16 pixels down from the top to correct this. Does anyone have any workarounds, ideas, or plans for future AutoGK features that might help me? Maybe the upcoming config file will help.
Well thats really tricky thing to do. But for a start you can experiment with threshhold parameter of autocrop plugin. Take *_movie.avs and try playing with the script - may be you can find a certain threshold parameter which allows to do perfect cropping in your case (you need to increase threshold IMO). Then when we have a config file that value can be overwritten...

P.S. is AutoGK being followed at DivX.com forums or as a direct competitor of dr.divx it's not welcome there ?
Old 2nd January 2004, 16:44   #1072  |  Link
zerocoolnl

hi all!

I just ripped The Matrix as test because I get a post on the Dutch forum that there were no subtitles and that is right! I ripped with DVD Decrypter 3.1.9.0. AutoGk(0.8) says no subtitles. I think the problem was known, but I just tell it again to be sure! Hope you kan fix it.

Greetz,
Zerocoolnl
Old 2nd January 2004, 17:08   #1073  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by zerocoolnl
I think the problem was known, but I just tell it again to be sure! Hope you kan fix it.
It's already fixed, but I can't release anything for another 10 or so days...
Stick to 3.1.7 in the meantime...
Old 2nd January 2004, 17:38   #1074  |  Link
zerocoolnl

OK, thnx

Zerocoolnl
Old 2nd January 2004, 21:04   #1075  |  Link
calinb

AutoGK Threads in DivX Forums

Quote:
P.S. is AutoGK being followed at DivX.com forums or as a direct competitor of dr.divx it's not welcome there ?
There's been a little bit of discussion of AutoGK over at the DivX Forums and I think it's all been favorable. I certainly welcome it. I don't really see AutoGK as a direct competitor of Dr. DivX because AutoGK is for DVDs and Dr. DivX is a general purpose encoding ap -- though I realize you could easily morph AutoGK into somthing more general purposed (mpeg2 file input).

I view AutoGK as a direct competitor to Recode2 and I'm sure AutoGK is helping DivX stand against that competition, especially given the excellent quality vs. speed of AutoGK. (Looking at doom9's codec comparison screenshots, I think the codec comparison might help too

Personally, I see any software or hardware that supports the DivX format as a good thing for DivX--even if it did compete with the Doc. There have been many discussions in the forums of competing DS media players vs. the DivX player and that's been a good thing for DivX too.

Thanks for the autocrop tip. I'll try it and report back. I could use manual crop, but autocrop works very well on the sides.

Last edited by calinb; 2nd January 2004 at 21:19.
Old 2nd January 2004, 23:50   #1076  |  Link
dosdan

Split Option

I know splitting is not that difficult but if you are aiming at newbies I believe it would be handy to include it as an option for both the Custom Size and Target Quality selections. Perhaps it could be an intelligent selection. As I understand it, custom sizes of 700 MB, 1400 MB & 2100 MB will split automatically. So if these values are selected the Split option is grayed out. Say I can overburn to 713 MB and select 1426 MB or 1420 MB (to allow for keyframe vageries) as a custom size to do a 2 CD job. Then the Split option would be available, defaulting to 700 MB as the initial CD capacity value.
dosdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2004, 02:02   #1077  |  Link
calinb

ReplayTV source and too little cropping.

Quote:
Well thats really tricky thing to do. But for a start you can experiment with threshhold parameter of autocrop plugin.
If I change the threshold to about 60, it seems to work. Thanks! I haven't figured out a way to "trick" AutoGK into using it so I'll be looking forward to a config file for such settings in the future .
Old 3rd January 2004, 02:41   #1078  |  Link
Wolfman
spice captain

slightly off topic

quote "IF you are converting something from mpeg1, 2, any divx codec or variant thereof, and anything other than uncompressed rgb or huffyuv in rgb mode, and not doing any filtering in vitualdub, you should use FAST RE COMPRESS mode."
unquote

Does autoGK use fast recompress or full processing mode ...as fast recompress is supposed to be much faster??
Old 3rd January 2004, 03:05   #1079  |  Link
manono

Fast Recompress. That's been the standard for DVD conversions for some time now (couple of years, maybe?).
Old 3rd January 2004, 06:40   #1080  |  Link
menaceboy

really terrific program(*)@!&$(*@&$(!*&$(@!*&$(*@!&$
anyway for my situation i need more options for the audio
i'm doing my first encode with autogk as we speak, and i set the audio
to 64kbps
i'm assuming its stereo
the content i'm encoding only needs mono audio... hope its not too much to ask , lower bitrates, audio output channel selection.

thanks for the amazing (and free) program

Last edited by manono; 3rd January 2004 at 08:04.
menaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote