Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 10th August 2012, 07:47   #4841  |  Link
hello_hello

I would have assumed using the ESS profile would be less likely to cause file size issues as it doesn't use a custom Xvid matrix. As long as the correct profile was used. However....

Looking at the AutoGK release notes, AutoGK 2.47 had Xvid downgraded to 1.2.0 because the ESS option caused file size issues, then it was upgraded to 1.3.0 for AutoGK 2.50, then downgraded to 1.2.1 for AutoGK 2.52, and AutoGK 2.55 seems only to have been released because AutoGK 2.53 was bundled with the wrong Xvid version.

I don't really know if the problem was the wrong Xvid profile when using some versions of Xvid or whether some Xvid versions were just broken. I'd assumed they were broken, but maybe not....
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2012, 12:21   #4842  |  Link
datauser

Interesting analysis. Here's the link for portable version if interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xjzxjnmvnwj
datauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 19:28   #4843  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by datauser View Post

Cheers. I've downloaded it to store in my program installation archive folder.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 19:38   #4844  |  Link
kalehrl

Doesn't work with me.
The error is 'failed to create process default activation context.'
The system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2012, 20:28   #4845  |  Link
datauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalehrl View Post
Doesn't work with me.
The error is 'failed to create process default activation context.'
The system is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I had no problems running it with Win7 64bit, though I prefer to use it with XP most of the time. Right click and run it under Windows compatibility mode for XP. Also look at your permissions or run it as administrator, if all else fails. Should work fine in compatibility mode though. Read below!

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1423731

Last edited by datauser; 18th August 2012 at 20:37.
Old 18th August 2012, 20:54   #4846  |  Link
kalehrl

I have no problem running the installed AutoGK.
This portable won't run.
I tried to run it in the compatibility version of XP but now it reports:
'Recursion too deep; the stack overflowed.
Unable to load DLL ... AVIFIL32.dll'
kalehrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 15:31   #4847  |  Link
datauser

It may be a problem associated with multi-threading due to memory allocation. I do not know an easy solution for this as I never saw similar problems using 64 bit architecture myself using a 2Ghz Pentium Dual Core CPU and 3GB of memory. Try disabling/closing all your running programs(memory guzzlers) in system tray e.g antivirus etc and see what happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_overflow

Turning off your Data Execution protection(DEP) might work: Link below

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t206.html

OR TRY "Adding AutoGK" to your DEP exception list:
1.) Open "Control Panel"
2.) Click on "System and Maintenance"
3.) Click on "System"
4.) On the left side click on "Advanced System Settings"
you will be asked for permission to continue, click continue
5.) Click on the Advanced tab and then on "Settings" in the Performance area
6.) Click on the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) tab
7.) Put a tick in the little circle next to "Turn on DEP for all programs and services
except those I select" and click on the "ADD" button and
browse for and click on the .exe file for AutoGK or
any other App then click "Open" now click "Apply" then "OK"
and close all open windows and your done.

Last edited by datauser; 22nd August 2012 at 19:02.
Old 20th October 2012, 01:43   #4848  |  Link
R=G

Every time I use AutoGk these days, when it gets to the compressibility test before going to the first pass, it goes ULTRA slow. It can run 20 minutes and only be at like 2%. It used to do that in like 7 minutes and then start on the 1st pass and what not. What is that all about?

Last edited by R=G; 20th October 2012 at 01:47.
R=G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 03:02   #4849  |  Link
manono

Has your hard drive dropped down to PIO mode?
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2012, 08:41   #4850  |  Link
R=G

I doubt it. I can encode x264 files with Vidcoder/Ripbot/Megui. It's only with AutoGk that I've hit a standstill oddly enough.
Old 21st October 2012, 09:41   #4851  |  Link
manono

It's only AutoGK, eh? The usual advice when something screws up is to remove all its components and reinstall it.
Old 21st October 2012, 19:03   #4852  |  Link
R=G

Quote:
Originally Posted by manono View Post
It's only AutoGK, eh? The usual advice when something screws up is to remove all its components and reinstall it.
I uninstalled, reinstalled the 2.55 version, same compression hold out time..then I got the 2.45 one and tried to encode. Still it holds out on the Vdub compression test and didn't nudge. Odd. I've had this laptop since the end of 2010 and I did at least 3 DVDrips encodes a month until June 2011 and then this started happening. I heard there is no problem using AutoGk on Windows 7 and that wouldn't be the issue anyway since I was encoding just fine for 6 months with this system.
Old 21st October 2012, 19:46   #4853  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by R=G View Post
I uninstalled, reinstalled the 2.55 version, same compression hold out time..then I got the 2.45 one and tried to encode. Still it holds out on the Vdub compression test and didn't nudge. Odd. I've had this laptop since the end of 2010 and I did at least 3 DVDrips encodes a month until June 2011 and then this started happening. I heard there is no problem using AutoGk on Windows 7 and that wouldn't be the issue anyway since I was encoding just fine for 6 months with this system.
Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling your codecs?

Try Codec Tweak Tool to see if there are any broken registry entries for the codecs.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 12:19   #4854  |  Link
datauser

I would try Replacing the Vdubmod used in the AutoGK installer with last build. Copy its exe and vdi from a portable type e.g VirtualDub 1.6 and place in your system program AutoGK folder replacing old versions when asked.
Old 15th November 2012, 02:51   #4855  |  Link
recoil47

I need some settings advice for this program for a specific need. I downloaded it and got it to work well enough, and understand the settings. What I am trying to do is take my old Babylon 5 DVDs and convert them to XViD so I can play them digitally on my Home Theater PC. I took a shot at doing the first episode, and set it to "100%" quality, and it output a 2.8GB file. I've got tons of storage so I'm not concerned about filesize --- quality is my target. That being said, there were some issues on playback. The actual scenes involving actors seem to have taken very well. The CGI scenes, however, are another matter. They seem "jerky" and the animation isn't as smooth as on the DVD. I suspect this has to do with the fact that AutoGK detected the source as "Hybrid" (due to a combination of Film for live-action and the CGI) and did some sort of standardized process for it. Are there some more ideal settings in this program I can use instead to get the CGI to come out smoother and closer to the original source, without totally messing up the rest of the episode?

Thanks!
recoil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 04:32   #4856  |  Link
manono

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil47 View Post
Are there some more ideal settings in this program I can use instead to get the CGI to come out smoother and closer to the original source,
Nope, Babylon 5 is notorious for this problem. Either keep them as DVD, but maybe reencoded for a smaller size, or convert them to some sort of variable framerate format, one such as MKV. I'm quite certain that, for example, DVD-Rebuilder could take the whole thing and give you back very good quality at much less than 2.8 GB per episode.

Those things are film for most of it but video for the CGI stuff. There is no one framerate you can choose that will make the whole thing play smoothly if making an XviD AVI.
Old 22nd November 2012, 11:04   #4857  |  Link
datauser

Windows 8 and AutoGK!

Has anyone used AutoGK with Win 8? Working okay or not?
Old 23rd November 2012, 20:36   #4858  |  Link
setarip_old

@datauser

Hi!

Have you tried it and had some problem(s)? If so, post the problem(s) here...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2012, 13:32   #4859  |  Link
datauser

As yet no Setarip_old, but I was about to use it when upgraded. I wanted to get some insight/foresight first thing from more experienced users! Cheers!
Old 30th November 2012, 11:03   #4860  |  Link
kim1406

I have used AutoGK lots of time with success in the last couple of years. Today, I tried it and VirtualDub gave a runtime error. I then uninstall and reinstall AutoGK and it seems working fine now.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 05:43   #4861  |  Link
jackoneill90

When I try to convert a video when it starts converting the video data the total time estimated keeps going up and it never finishes, anyone know how to fix this?
jackoneill90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 12:33   #4862  |  Link
datauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
I have used AutoGK lots of time with success in the last couple of years. Today, I tried it and VirtualDub gave a runtime error. I then uninstall and reinstall AutoGK and it seems working fine now.
You mean VirtualDubMod I assume! Fairuse wizard and AutoGK use the older version of Vdubmod quite effectively most of the time. Yet Staxrip uses the last version of VdubMod and I have had very minimal problems with it unlike quite a few audio synch issues with the older version which ships with both Fairuse and AutoGK. Probably due to some tricky/badly encoded dvd menu's with extras.

Either way, no program is perfect but AutoGK does a pretty good darn job of things and using one astute member's guide over at Doom10 you can encode mp4/mkv and extend this wonderful program's life.

Last edited by datauser; 1st December 2012 at 12:37.
Old 29th January 2013, 00:04   #4863  |  Link
ausguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackoneill90 View Post
When I try to convert a video when it starts converting the video data the total time estimated keeps going up and it never finishes, anyone know how to fix this?
had the same problem I firstly updated xvid to latest ver still the same error then updated vitualdub to latest ver still getting the error lastly I installed divx 5.2 and the error is gone
Aus
ausguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:19   #4864  |  Link
datauser

I always marvel at how AutoGK chooses the best resolution etc but occasionally errors or bad results occur. AutoGK chose a resolution of 608x256 (2.375) and the results were awful(compression artifacts, blurring or fuzziness of facial detail yet pixel ratio was great. I chose a much higher 672x288(2.35) same size 700mb, and the differences were startingly better. Now do we blame AutoGK?? No, because the actual reason probably was that the material was very difficult to compress despite getting an initial compression test of 63% using auto aspect.

Now my question to more experienced users: I always use ESS, if I do not, does it mean that I can tweak the xvid codec or does AutoGK still use its own parameters? Thankyou.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:47   #4865  |  Link
manono

No, you can't tweak (outside of what's in the Hidden Options). If you want to tweak do it manually. Are those two results from the same source? I didn't quite understand.
Old 23rd February 2013, 13:00   #4866  |  Link
datauser

Those results were from the same source. Got mosquito noise??? from AutoGK's first resolution from test, and I increased the resolution 2nd time(without bitrate increase) and removed it.

Thankyou for info on codec/hidden options.

Last edited by datauser; 29th March 2013 at 16:39.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:00   #4867  |  Link
kdantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by datauser View Post

kdantas is offline   Reply With Quote