Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th November 2008, 05:29   #1  |  Link
Phototaker
The Old Timer

Adding subtitles to the file

I have a couple of DVD's on my HDD. I know that the VOB files contain both the MPEG2 video file & some other file which I'm told holds the any subtitles that the DVD might contain. I can see in the AGK settings there is provision for getting subtitles added to the final XVID/DIVX output file. How are these subtitle taken from the VOB files for use in AGK? I will have the program burn the titles in permanently if that is easier to do, providing that the program burns them in the correct place. (I'm aware that the DIVX Converter rarely gets them in the correct place).

Thanks in advance
Phototaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 23:06   #2  |  Link
manono

If you open the IFO of the movie for which you want the subs, AutoGK will extract the subs itself. If you only open VOBs, you won't get subs from AutoGK. Or you can extract the IDX/SUB file yourself, or OCR to SRT, SSA or some other text based subtitle format, or download subs from subtitle sites on the internet. If you have these separate subs, then you can get them into AutoGK using the CTRL-F8 trick.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 01:27   #3  |  Link
Phototaker
The Old Timer

Thanks for that information. You say that AGK can take the subtitles directly from the IFO file. How is that achieved? What I tried doing was firstly clicking on the first VOB file & add this to the project, then I went back to the same VIDEO_TS & tried clicking the IFO file instead,but nothing happened.

Should I be doing CRTL F8 first? If I get the program to pick the sub up this way will I know that they are in place & working before I encode & will they be burned in subs or one that can be switched on & off?
Phototaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2008, 01:52   #4  |  Link
manono

Quote:
How is that achieved?
While the subs are stored in the VOBs, the IFO contains the color and other information, and also references the VOBs.
Quote:
What I tried doing was firstly clicking on the first VOB file & add this to the project, then I went back to the same VIDEO_TS & tried clicking the IFO file instead,but nothing happened.
Just load the IFO. And it would also be best if you decrypt only the movie, and not the entire DVD.
Quote:
Should I be doing CRTL F8 first?
No, you shouldn't do it at all unless you have a separate subtitle file you got somewhere. The default behavior after loading the IFO and choosing the subs you want is for them to be "burned" into or "embedded" into the video.
Quote:
How will I know that they are in place & working before I encode?
That's what the Preview is for.
Quote:
will they be burned in subs or one that can be switched on & off?
The default behavior after choosing subs is for them to be burned into the video. If you want them kept separate and selectable, go into the Advanced Settings and check the "Use External Subs" box.

All of this is explained in the included tutorial, also available online here:

http://www.autogk.me.uk/modules.php?name=TutorialEN
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2008, 17:06   #5  |  Link
kaothan

Thanks
kaothan is offline   Reply With Quote