Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 19th December 2003, 23:19   #1001  |  Link
AZEncoder

AutoGK - love it, but ran into a snag

First, please forgive my noobiness. I have read a lot of messages on the forums here in the last week and a half. I understood some of it, certainly not all of it, and have tried to follow forum rules by searching for enlightenment.

I have used AutoGK to encode a bunch (approximately 80 TV episodes) of other stuff. It has worked flawlessly. Bravo len0x!!!!!!!! interestingly enough playing with AutoGK now has me wanting to learn more (how to use full blown GK) so that I have more control over backup processes.

I am trying to use AutoGK to back up my purchased copy of Die Another Day (James Bond). I have run into a subtitle issue.

Used AutoGK .77b

Attempt #1 settings:
Audio Track: English AC3 6ch
Subtitle Track: No Subtitles
Output size: 1 CD (700Mb)
Advanced Settings
Resolution Settings: Fixed Width 640
Codec: Xvid
Audio: Auto(AC3/VBR MP3)
Display only forced subtitles: not checked
Use external subtitles: not checked

Results: no subtitles, Sound good, picture looked great.

Attempt #2 settings:
Subtitle Track: English Normal Captions
Advanced Settings

Results: subtitles throughout entire movie, but synchronization of subtitles gets out of wack after initial scene, Sound good, picture looked great.

Attempt #3 settings:
Subtitle Track: No subtitles
Advanced Settings
Display only forced subtitles: checked

Results: no subtitles, Sound good, picture looked great.

What I am trying to accomplish is just get the movie backed up so that the subtitles show just during the beginning of the movie like when you watch the DVD without subtitles turned on. Seems pretty uncomplicated but, something is going wrong.

I screwed up the .log file by going back into AutoGK and trying to run a preview. I will re-run Attempt #3 to grab .log file and post it later. I saw in one of the other threads about forced subtitles but was unable to come to any conclusions from the comments mades about my situation.

Also, I read the original documentation that was written by manono and is accessed from the @len0x's forum post on current version message in the Gordian Knot development forum. manono any chance you could update the tutorial to reflect the choice of forced subtitles and external subtitles? Just trying to understand what exactly those options do.

Thanks in advance!

AZEncoder

P.S. After I posted the above note, a flash of insight struck me. Maybe "Display only forced subtitles" means that you have to turn subtitles on but they will only display the "forced ones" (like at the beginning of Die Another Day). So, I am re-encoding an attempt #4 with the following settings:

Attempt #4 settings:
Advanced Settings

I'll post the results later.

Last edited by AZEncoder; 20th December 2003 at 00:42.
AZEncoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2003, 00:18   #1002  |  Link
manono

Hi-

Being done as we speak. But I don't think it's going to help with your problem.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2003, 17:46   #1003  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

version 0.8 stable is finally out

Subs angles and PGCs are now handled via subs.settings file (see history).

I'm gonna have a holiday break (see my other post in this forum), so nothing much will be done in the next a couple of weeks.
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2003, 19:53   #1004  |  Link
zerocoolnl

Holiday? Are you joking? We need you man! haha..

Greetz,
Zerocoolnl
Old 21st December 2003, 03:36   #1005  |  Link
AZEncoder

Re: AutoGK - love it, but ran into a snag

Quote:
Originally posted by AZEncoder

P.S. After I posted the above note, a flash of insight struck me. Maybe "Display only forced subtitles" means that you have to turn subtitles on but they will only display the "forced ones" (like at the beginning of Die Another Day). So, I am re-encoding an attempt #4 with the following settings:

Attempt #4 settings:
Advanced Settings

I'll post the results later. [/B]
Results from later well it didn't work the way I thought it would in the above attempt #4.

Notice that I chose

and

well the results were that no subtitles showed up anywhere in the movie.

There are three sets of English subtitles in the movie so I am going to try using one of the other sets of English subtitles to see what happens. with the following settings.

Subtitle Track: English Normal Captions (second set)
and

I will post results later.

AZEncoder

P.S. manono, I think my messages probably ought to be in their own thread, (sorry for not posting that way to begin with). Do you have the ability/desire to move this to a new thread or should I do that? Perhaps the title should be "Missing/non-synchronized subtitles".

Last edited by AZEncoder; 21st December 2003 at 03:39.
Old 21st December 2003, 04:31   #1006  |  Link
manono

AZEncoder-

Sometimes the Forced Subs are in their own stream, so your new plan should (might?) work. Rather than run the full encode before finding out the results, just run the Preview, and if you don't get the Forced Subs on your first try, go back and pick another Sub Stream and run the Preview again. The Preview should be slow to set up only the first time, and when just selecting a different set of subs, it should be real fast the later times.

Doing it that way, you won't check Forced Subs at all, but just the different English subs.

P.S. manono, I think my messages probably ought to be in their own thread,...

Nah, that's OK. Maybe others will learn from your experiences. And I'll be able to incorporate what you're learning into the Guide. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier-that the Forced Subs are sometimes in their own Sub Stream, and not always part of the main Sub Stream. If you know there are Forced Subs, and you see the Multiple Sub Streams in the same language, that should alert you.
Old 21st December 2003, 07:05   #1007  |  Link
AZEncoder

Re: Re: AutoGK - love it, but ran into a snag

manono,

Quote:
Originally posted by AZEncoder

There are three sets of English subtitles in the movie so I am going to try using one of the other sets of English subtitles to see what happens. with the following settings.

Subtitle Track: English Normal Captions (second set)
and
I did what you suggested (using preview mode) and it turns out that the other two "English" subtitle sets were French and Spanish. I don't know what the deal is with that as there is also listed 2 other french versions and 8 additional Spanish versions of subtitles. So, the long and the short of it is that the "display only forced subtitles" switch doesn't work (at least not in Die Another Day). And the only way to get subtitles (in English) is to choose the first Enlish choice under subtitles and do not choose "Display only forced subtitles". The secondary problem I have with this particular set of parameters is that after the initial scene where the forced subtitles are appropriate. The other subtitles are out of sync throughout the remainder of the movie.

So, what you are saying should normally work (from reading your updated tutorial and the examples you use) are the following settings.

Subtitle Track: None
and

Correct? Or did I miss something?

AZEncoder
Old 21st December 2003, 08:19   #1008  |  Link
manono

Hi AZEncoder-

Correct? Or did I miss something?

Maybe I missed something, as I was anything but clear there. I haven't tested AutoGKnot with Forced Subs yet, but since I own the LOTR DVDs, perhaps I should one of these days. I think you have to choose both a main Substream, and then also check Forced Subs. That's if there are Forced Subs embedded within that main Substream. If they are a separate stream, then you should be able to select only that stream, and then not check Forced Subs. If you have one stream with both the complete English Subs, together with the Forced Subs, then that's the one you'd choose, together with checking the Forced Subs box.

One thing you might try is use the Main GKnot to track down those pesky Forced Subs. Go to the Subtitles Tab, and then to Resynch. Pick one stream after another, and see if the Forced Subs are there (there's a separate column for them). If you know where the Forced Subs are supposed to be, then highlight the corresponding line to see what the subs for that line say. If they aren't there, then one of the streams should be real short, since there are relatively few lines of Forced Subs. Go back into AutoGK, and then test out that same stream. This may be slightly inaccurate, since I'm not looking at a Sub Stream that has Forced Subs, but once you try out Resynch, you should be able to figure it out.

And in your case, you may have to check out all the streams, as you said the other two English Streams were French and Spanish, so maybe one of the later French or Spanish Streams has what you want. But that's all real quick to check in Resynch.

Edit later: I forgot, since I already had VobSub and didn't install it as part of AutoGK. If you did install it, just look in your AutoGK folder and you should see VobSub, and inside there you should see subresynch.exe.

Last edited by manono; 21st December 2003 at 08:52.
Old 21st December 2003, 10:35   #1009  |  Link
satfabio

for Len0x

I think that should be better make a change in
advance settings section:

When user open this section and select a option and after
close the form with x the options are saved in ini files.
But should be professional if the options are saved if user
click only on OK button and not on X.

Paul
satfabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2003, 11:03   #1010  |  Link
manono

Hi satfabio-

There's a note about that in the Advanced Settings portion of the guide. I mentioned it once to len0x and he thought it better to save the settings for people that always wish to use the same settings.

Note: As you all know, for the last six weeks or so, len0x has been tireless in his updates to AutoGK, and in his quick responses to questions and suggestions. But for the next 3 weeks he won't be visiting nearly as often, and I hope we all agree that he deserves a break. But in the meantime, we'll be relying on each other more to help out.
Old 22nd December 2003, 02:25   #1011  |  Link
madprofessor

Re: version 0.8 stable is finally out

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
Subs angles and PGCs are now handled via subs.settings file (see history).

I'm gonna have a holiday break (see my other post in this forum), so nothing much will be done in the next a couple of weeks.
OK the quick hack worked for me like a charm
again my congrats for that excellect program and a very small suggestion after a lot of episode encodin
why not have as a default selection for the name of the output file the name of the input directory? so if one has made the folder after the decryption he doesnt have to touch that tab at all

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
madprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 11:44   #1012  |  Link
azza_lizard

Re: Re: version 0.8 stable is finally out

Quote:
Originally posted by madprofessor

why not have as a default selection for the name of the output file the name of the input directory? so if one has made the folder after the decryption he doesnt have to touch that tab at all
Yes please..... and an option/default to remember the output directory last used too... those pesky files are going everywhere

Seasons greets to all
azza_lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 14:02   #1013  |  Link
Wolfman
spice captain

when encoding epsodes

if agk does multiple encodes one after the other it could attach a job number to the output file eg encode1.avi encode2.avi thereby allowing batch files to be setup and left running overnight without any user input. Have'nt used 0.8 yet (or 0.77). seems to be some sort of holiday thing happening.. mucking up all my schedules!! Bah Humbug!
Also shouldnt the new release be 0.80 rather than 0.8?

Last edited by Wolfman; 22nd December 2003 at 14:46.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2003, 22:01   #1014  |  Link
DevilsChild

Hi,

BeSweet keeps crashing on my computer every time AutoGK 0.8 tries to make an MP3 file. This happens regardless of what MP3 settings I use, and even older versions of AutoGK crash EVERY time BeSweet is used.

Any ideas?

Audio log:

Using lame_enc.dll v1.32 (8/8/2003), Engine 3.90 <http://www.mp3dev.org/>.

Logging start : 12/22/03 , 14:42:22.

C:\PROGRA~1\AutoGK\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe -core( -input C:\DVD\Projects\gk_tmp\DETOUR AC3 T01 2_0ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3 -output C:\DVD\Projects\gk_tmp\DETOUR AC3 T01 2_0ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp3 -logfile C:\DVD\Projects\gk_tmp\DETOUR AC3 T01 2_0ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.log ) -ota( -hybridgain ) -azid( -c normal ) -lame( -h --abr 128 ) -profile( GordianKnotItFast4U )

[00:00:00:000] +------- BeSweet -----
[00:00:00:000] | Input : C:\DVD\Projects\gk_tmp\DETOUR AC3 T01 2_0ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.ac3
[00:00:00:000] | Output: C:\DVD\Projects\gk_tmp\DETOUR AC3 T01 2_0ch 448Kbps DELAY 0ms.mp3
[00:00:00:000] | Floating-Point Process: Yes
[00:00:00:000] | PostGain normalize to : 0.97
[00:00:00:000] +-------- AZID -------
[00:00:00:000] | Input Channels Mode: 2/0, Bitrate: 448kbps
[00:00:00:000] | Output Stereo mode: Dolby surround compatible
[00:00:00:000] | Total Gain: 0.000dB, Compression: Normal
[00:00:00:000] | LFE levels: To LR -INF, To LFE 0.0dB
[00:00:00:000] | Center mix level: BSI
[00:00:00:000] | Surround mix level: BSI
[00:00:00:000] | Dialog normalization: No
[00:00:00:000] | Rear channels filtering: No
[00:00:00:000] | Source Sample-Rate: 48.0KHz
[00:00:00:000] +-------- LAME -------
[00:00:00:000] | Bitrate method : ABR
[00:00:00:000] | Avarege Bitrate : 128
[00:00:00:000] | MP3 Min bitrate : 32
[00:00:00:000] | MP3 Max bitrate : 320
[00:00:00:000] | Channels Mode : Joint Stereo
[00:00:00:000] | Error Protection: No
[00:00:00:000] +---------------------

AutoGK log:

[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Input dir: C:\DVD\Rips\Detour
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Output file: C:\DVD\Projects\Detour.avi
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Audio: Unknown language
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Subtitles: none
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Codec: XviD
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Target size: 1400Mb
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Custom audio settings: VBR MP3 with average bitrate: 128Kbps
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Started encoding.
[12/22/2003 2:29:04 PM] Demuxing and indexing.
[12/22/2003 2:34:12 PM] Analyzing source.
[12/22/2003 2:34:12 PM] Writing the following script to C:\DVD\Projects\gk_tmp\lastjob.vcf
===========================================================
VirtualDub.Open("C:\\DVD\\Projects\\gk_tmp\\_.avs",0,0);
VirtualDub.RemoveInputStreams();
VirtualDub.video.SetDepth(24,24);
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(0);
VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate(0,1);
VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0,0,-1,0);
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression();
VirtualDub.video.filters.Clear();
VirtualDub.subset.Delete();
VirtualDub.SaveAVI("C:\\DVD\\Projects\\gk_tmp\\_.avi");
===========================================================
[12/22/2003 2:42:10 PM] Source has percentage of interlacing in motion areas: 32.61
[12/22/2003 2:42:10 PM] Source has percentage of telecined patterns: 82.29
[12/22/2003 2:42:10 PM] Source has percentage of progressive patterns: 16.29
[12/22/2003 2:42:10 PM] Source has percentage of interlaced patterns: 1.43
[12/22/2003 2:42:10 PM] Source is considered to be hybrid (mostly FILM).
[12/22/2003 2:42:13 PM] Found 128594 frames
[12/22/2003 2:42:13 PM] Encoding audio.
[12/22/2003 2:45:47 PM] Audio size: 4,294,967,295 bytes (4096.00 Mb)
[12/22/2003 2:45:47 PM] Overhead: 5,143,808 bytes (4.91 Mb)
EXCEPTION: Audio and overhead size is more than target video size!
[12/22/2003 2:45:47 PM] Job finished.
Old 23rd December 2003, 01:52   #1015  |  Link
Wolfman
spice captain

re-install besweet.. or turn off hyperthreading .. or relocate the exe file. Also your log file shows parameter "--abr" it might be the double dash?? audio 4gb sounds slightly OTT!

Last edited by Wolfman; 23rd December 2003 at 01:55.
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 07:14   #1016  |  Link
robust

why there is no response?

why don't i get a response on my question?
I want to encode movies with two tracks. And AutoGK doesn't have such feature though it is necessary.
That's why i'm asking the developer again: "Would you please be so kind to add this feature in your next release(s) of AutoGK?"
robust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 08:10   #1017  |  Link
manono

Take it easy there, robust-

It's on the to do list, and sooner or later that feature will be implemented. In the meantime you can use this workaround. Allow room on your encode for the second audio track plus the overhead, convert that track yourself outside of AutoGK, and then mux it in yourself. So, if you're making a 2 CD rip, and the second audio track+overhead is 100 MB, for example, then make the .avi for 1300 MB, convert the 2nd audio track (if MP3 is what you want), mux in the second audio track, and then split. If the second audio track hadn't been demuxed yet from the vob files, then go back into DVD2AVI and get it.
Old 23rd December 2003, 12:51   #1018  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Re: why there is no response?

Quote:
Originally posted by robust
why don't i get a response on my question?
Weren't you taught to say please?
Quote:
"Would you please be so kind to add this feature in your next release(s) of AutoGK?"
Ah, you were taught indeed! Now you got your answer. See? With good manners it's a lot easier. Also, you may find this reading interesting.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 13:42   #1019  |  Link
robust

Re: Re: why there is no response?

Quote:
Originally posted by r6d2
Weren't you taught to say please?

Ah, you were taught indeed! Now you got your answer. See? With good manners it's a lot easier. Also, you may find this reading interesting.
I post here not to conduct debates with such flooders like you. Watch your 'good' manners (to be correct - lack of them). You've chosen wrong forum for teaching someone of what you're not even aware of.
manono gave me the clear answer - "this is on to-do list". That's all i needed. and i thank him for that.

2 manono
Actually, i know how to make 2 tracks manually, but i want this feature to be added in the AutoGK. I thought, the developer forgot about it. thanks for making it clear to me now .

Last edited by robust; 23rd December 2003 at 13:45.
robust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2003, 14:58   #1020  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by DevilsChild

BeSweet keeps crashing on my computer every time AutoGK 0.8 tries to make an MP3 file. This happens regardless of what MP3 settings I use, and even older versions of AutoGK crash EVERY time BeSweet is used.
Hmm... It's not the first time I hear this.
Important thing are:
- is audio mp3 file indeed 4Gb in size?
- is it playable at all?

Lets go from there.

P.S. you can try extracting besweeet 1.5b24 into besweet dir and see if that fixes your problem. But I'm really curious what's happening there anyway.

Last edited by len0x; 23rd December 2003 at 15:00.
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote