Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 4th December 2011, 20:11   #7561  |  Link
Paladin77

For the OCD there is a typo in LAV splitter description of option: Remove Audio Decoder on Audio stream switch.

Switching is misspelled switchign

Description: Remove the old Audio Decoder from the playback chain before switching (misspelled Switchign) the audio stream, forcing Directshow to select a new one.

This option ensures that the preferred decoder is always used, However it does not work properly with all players.
GPU: 2X Crossfire AMD RADEON HD 6850.
Paladin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2011, 23:13   #7562  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I cannot reproduce any issues if i limit my seeking to the first 2 minutes.
Actually nevermind, it appears to be an issue on this PC, thanks.

Last edited by ryrynz; 4th December 2011 at 23:28.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 02:03   #7563  |  Link
mkanet

Actually lav software decoder is pretty bad for this kind of video too; especially with YADIF; at least on my machine.

If someone is smart/kind enough to figure out a way to play these media files perfectly in directshow with the hardware I have, I would gladly donate good money for it via paypal.

Quote:
You're using software decoding, not hardware. (See the hardware acceleration on the right, MPEG2 says Disabled)
Switch LAV Video to software for MPEG-2 as well, and playback should be better. At least for me, in software mode it seemed acceptable, even fine.

I have no control over CUVID hardware decoding, either it works or it doesnt - if it doesnt, complain to NVIDIA.

Last edited by mkanet; 5th December 2011 at 04:36. Reason: *sigh* still no good solution...
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 07:38   #7564  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin77 View Post
Switching is misspelled switchign
I've reported this already a few months ago. It's line 204 now in /demuxer/LAVSplitter/SettingsProp.cpp.

Last edited by fastplayer; 5th December 2011 at 07:41.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 07:41   #7565  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Actually lav software decoder is pretty bad for this kind of video too; especially with YADIF; at least on my machine.
I didn't say enable YADIF.
Disable YADIF, disable CUVID, Enable NV12 output, disable any post-processing filters (NO ffdshow raw or anything else), use a renderer that can deal with this kind of thing, like EVR. Its the only way to get even half-good playback of such files.

Anyway, i can only repeat myself:
I have no interest in working on such cases at this time, because its highly annoying and i personally have 0 content of such nature. To properly handle it, you would need a post-processor that can deal with soft and hard telecine mixed into one, which is not a trivial task.
My resources are very limited, so you'll forgive me when i work on stuff that i consider fun to be working on.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th December 2011 at 07:56.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 08:58   #7566  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
I have no interest in working on such cases at this time, because its highly annoying and i personally have 0 content of such nature. To properly handle it, you would need a post-processor that can deal with soft and hard telecine mixed into one, which is not a trivial task.
Unfortunately, mixing soft and hard telecine (sometimes even switching between the two several times per second) is very common on US HDTV broadcasts. For example, I use CBS as my "torture test" for IVTC.

My experimental ffdshow IVTC filter was specifically designed to handle this kind of nightmare; mkanet, you might want to give it a try. No promises though.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 17:04   #7567  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
sometimes even switching between the two several times per second
Ouch, that's nasty! You don't happen to have a sample available like that?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 17:48   #7568  |  Link
Pat357

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172;1543090
My [url=http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1505475&postcount=13623
experimental ffdshow IVTC filter[/url] was specifically designed to handle this kind of nightmare; mkanet, you might want to give it a try. No promises though.
"Not Found"
"The requested URL /files/ffdshow-r3867-pulldown-et172.7z was not found on this server."

Apache/2.2.21 (Debian) Server at e-t172.net Port 80

Do you maybe have another link for this ? I'd really like to test it.
Any plans to make an Avisynth 2.6x plugin ? I think it should not be too much work and this would make it far more universal & portable.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 19:08   #7569  |  Link
VipZ

With latest compiled LAV Filters I am getting the following message when closing down PotPlayer if it was bitstreaming,

Was ok with 0.42
Old 5th December 2011, 20:07   #7570  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat357 View Post
Any plans to make an Avisynth 2.6x plugin ? I think it should not be too much work and this would make it far more universal & portable.
Avisynth is not capable to handle mIxed content like that because it lacks frame duration information, iirc.
Old 5th December 2011, 21:39   #7571  |  Link
mkanet

Hi e-t172, thanks so much. I would love to try it. Could you please post an updated link to it? Your link points to a post to a another link which refers to yet another link, which ultimately points to a direct link to a file that doesnt exist anymore:
http://www.e-t172.net/files/ffdshow-...ldown-et172.7z

http://e-t172.net/files/

Quote:
Unfortunately, mixing soft and hard telecine (sometimes even switching between the two several times per second) is very common on US HDTV broadcasts. For example, I use CBS as my "torture test" for IVTC.

My experimental ffdshow IVTC filter was specifically designed to handle this kind of nightmare; mkanet, you might want to give it a try. No promises though.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:01   #7572  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipZ View Post
With latest compiled LAV Filters I am getting the following message when closing down PotPlayer if it was bitstreaming
Should be fixed again
Old 5th December 2011, 23:08   #7573  |  Link
VipZ

Quote:
Should be fixed again
Thanks for the quick fix as always

Which MinGW do you recommend to build with now?
Old 5th December 2011, 23:09   #7574  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipZ View Post
Which MinGW do you recommend to build with now?
Why would that change? I still use the same MinGW i used month ago.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:10   #7575  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Hi e-t172, thanks so much. I would love to try it. Could you please post an updated link to it? Your link points to a post to a another link which refers to yet another link, which ultimately points to a direct link to a file that doesnt exist anymore
Sorry for that. I just fixed the link, it should work now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ouch, that's nasty! You don't happen to have a sample available like that?
Unfortunately, not anymore. I used to have some when I developed the filter some time ago, but I lost them. If you can get your hand on some 1080i recordings of TV shows broadcast on CBS, you'll probably see some of this madness. I remember when I used CBS recordings of "The Unit" to test my filter, they made me completely redesign the entire thing just so it could handle such huge amounts of insanity.

I believe there is some kind of drug out there which makes engineers randomly switch telecine modes during broadcast. Or maybe there's some children locked in the production who spend their time playing with the buttons on some console. I don't know. Maybe these engineers got their ideas from the ones who produce telecined Blu-rays in Japan.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:11   #7576  |  Link
VipZ

Quote:
Why would that change? I still use the same MinGW i used month ago.
Was wandering if 4.6.2 was preferred over 4.6.1 now or not
Old 5th December 2011, 23:14   #7577  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Sorry for that. I just fixed the link, it should work now.

Unfortunately, not anymore. I used to have some when I developed the filter some time ago, but I lost them. If you can get your hand on some 1080i recordings of TV shows broadcast on CBS, you'll probably see some of this madness. I remember when I used CBS recordings of "The Unit" to test my filter, they made me completely redesign the entire thing just so it could handle such huge amounts of insanity.

I believe there is some kind of drug out there which makes engineers randomly switch telecine modes during broadcast. Or maybe there's some children locked in the production who spend their time playing with the buttons on some console. I don't know. Maybe these engineers got their ideas from the ones who produce telecined Blu-rays in Japan.
I might be able to grab a sample off my TiVo Wednesday night. MPEG2 HD 1080i. On CBS. Is that what you're referring to that's all messed up? If so I can grab my Survivor recording off the TiVo and split out a few hundred megs and output it as an MPG file if that'd help?
Old 5th December 2011, 23:20   #7578  |  Link
e-t172

Well, it's not always like that. If I remember correctly, most of the time it's just switching from time to time (like every 10 minutes of so). You'll probably have to record for a long time to catch a "insane fast-switching" moment. Maybe that just happens when they let the children unattended in the production room.
Old 5th December 2011, 23:26   #7579  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's not easy to find then. UGH.
Old 6th December 2011, 00:13   #7580  |  Link
mkanet

I tried every single combination possible of settings (along with EVR); but unfortunately either saw intermittent stutter during scene panning or deinterlace combing artifacts or both. I definitely dont blame you for not wanting to work on a solution if you dont need to play these types of files. I can't even comprehend how much work would be involved for getting playback to be smooth with LAV Video decoder.

Anyway, I'll ask around avsforum to see if someone might be interested in helping me play these types of files back smoothly/clearly via a directshow based solution using existing directshow filters (ie avisynth, ffdshow, etc).

I really appreciate your time and effort for LAV filters!
-MKANET

Quote:
I didn't say enable YADIF.
Disable YADIF, disable CUVID, Enable NV12 output, disable any post-processing filters (NO ffdshow raw or anything else), use a renderer that can deal with this kind of thing, like EVR. Its the only way to get even half-good playback of such files.

Anyway, i can only repeat myself:
My resources are very limited, so you'll forgive me when i work on stuff that i consider fun to be working on.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter