Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 4th March 2020, 03:18   #23781  |  Link
amichaelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorLS View Post
I hope you know not all people of the world can let buy videocard can hardware acceleration of 8K h265 4:2:0. I hope freeware LAV Video Decoder not for rich people only.
Moreover only few people can let buy processor (I even don't know what minimum processor is needed - may be AMD Ryzen 9 3900 or Intel Core i9-9980XE i.e. tried Core i7-4770 not enough - stuttering present and with LAV Video Decoder impossible to know what commentator said) can decode all 50fps of only 4K but 4:2:2 h265 20180428-175510_4K ENC 3 RMAD VS LEG.ts (563 MB) https://yadi.sk/d/m0s5ztpj3XnUyw
I'm sure your computer can't do that too.
I don't know why exactly but MainConcept and Elecard many years ago add feature for decoding not all frames of file - same possibility present in FFMpeg so Aleksoid1978 add it in MPC-BE's MPC Video Decoder very quickly - why LAV Video Decoder worse?
I don't know people that think bad about NVIDIA CUVID acceleration of 10bit implemented and CUVID acceleration without "high quality DXVA processing" leading to massive artifacts on nVIDIA videocards on "broken" streams as I asked here.
So I'm sure there will not be any that think bad about one more key in registry
PS. Feature of decoding not all frames can be useful when appear many (at now just few) high resolution streams compressed with i.e. AV1.

nevcairiel
What can I say - it's a pity again.
So you can afford to spend 1000s of dollars needed for an 8K computer monitor or TV but not for the hardware to actually decode and play the streams correctly?

Last edited by amichaelt; 4th March 2020 at 03:21.
Old 4th March 2020, 20:42   #23782  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amichaelt View Post
So you can afford to spend 1000s of dollars needed for an 8K computer monitor or TV
My BENQ FP241VW 1920x1200 P-MVA 24" monitor costed ~1000 dollars when I bought it and I don't want more (4K, 8K etc) because dot pitch (in terms of CRT - I don't know how it's called for LCD) and angle of view of my current monitor is optimal on my own.
I just want to watch live translations from SAT feeds (even as slideshow) with normal (not stuttering) audio (I hope you've seen quoted 4:2:2 file - can you say how it's playing on your PC?) because there isn't any way (I haven't high-bandwidth Internet connection at home) to get same sport competitions (I highly prefer watch live) in lower (i.e. 2K=FullHD, 720p=HD etc) and don't switch to another videodecoder can decode just I-frames like Elecard, MainConcept and special version of MPC Video Decoder (8 MB) https://yadi.sk/d/ZBA-K2-6UUV4TQ - I like LAV Filters - nevcairiel do really great job (and for SAT amateurs too when he did switchoffable CUVID DXVA Processing for non-artifact playing "broken" streams on nVIDIA's vidocards - I just ask one more lite to implement just in registry but online thing)...
Quote:
PS. Anybody know why LAV Video Decoder isn't seen in 4T2 Content Analyser (several other Direct Show decoders I tried incl. LAV Audio Decoder are seen well there)?
I've even found how to successfully use LAV Video Decoder in 4T2 Content Analyser - enough just correct manually not ABC4T2ContentAnalyser.ini near ABC4T2ContentAnalyser.exe but %appdata%\ABC\4T2 Content Analyser\ABC4T2ContentAnalyser_0_LastMode.ini so
MPEG2DecoderCLSIDStr={EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
H264DecoderCLSIDStr={EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
H265DecoderCLSIDStr={EE30215D-164F-4A92-A4EB-9D4C13390F9F}
After that correction LAV Video Decoder still absent in Video Decoder's Settings of 4T2 Content Analyser but even 4K with NVIDIA CUVID hardware acceleration shows well enough in it (not worse that i.e. MPC Video Decoder with DXVA2 hardware acceleration).

Last edited by VictorLS; 4th March 2020 at 20:59.
VictorLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 05:44   #23783  |  Link
huhn

been decoded with ease...

what's so hard to understand about a no.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2020, 07:17   #23784  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
been decoded with ease...
With what configuration of PC? Was 50fps in EVR settings during all file and what CPU load?
Quote:
what's so hard to understand about a no.
Not hard but not really understand why no (key in registry can't decrease quality of decoder) - I agree i.e. add quasi-interlaced streams support is too hard or even impossible while support of such files absent in FFMpeg but not all frame decoding present in FFMpeg long time ago.
PS. I've just explained newbies like amichaelt why do I (and many SAT amateurs i.e. in English http://smartdvb.net/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1699 - others in Russian language) need not all frame decoding because he asked

Last edited by VictorLS; 5th March 2020 at 08:20.
Old 5th March 2020, 10:01   #23785  |  Link
huhn

what has EVR todo with that's no i don't use EVR. and yes i don't drop frames obviously.
it's in the ~40% but you can't measuring this the CPU will not use it's full clocks most threads where just sleeping.
it's on totally normal 3700x nothing special about hell there is only one slower new CPU from AMD...
Old 6th March 2020, 02:58   #23786  |  Link
Shawns1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
LAV Audio does not do Dialog normalization, because its generally considered "bad" for disc-based movies, and really only serves a purpose for digital television, where content may change quickly (switching channels, ads, etc).
I'm quite sure that it ignores any Dialnorm flags in the bitstream and decodes the audio as-is, however i'm checking into that.

Note that any device claiming to be Dolby compliant HAS to do Dialog normalization, with no option to turn it off, because its required for a Dolby license.
FWIW, +4 dB is the "default" Dialnorm setting in the reference AC3 encoder (the "OFF" setting is -31dB, the "default" is -27dB).
Nev, sorry to dig up an old thread, but reading through thousands of posts is going to take a very long time.
I'm having an issue with dialnorm and I'm wondering if you have any way to disable this during playback via bitstream. My processor, Emotiva, had the ability to turn it off, but they have since fixed that due to Dolby restrictions. I know I can remux, but that will take a very long time for 8 TBs of movies.
Any thoughts?
Thank you
Shawns1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2020, 15:32   #23787  |  Link
bacondither

dav1d 0.6.0 is out! They have improved 10-bit decoding a lot.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...AV1-Benchmarks
bacondither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2020, 21:26   #23788  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn
it's on totally normal 3700x
Thanks for test but Ryzen 7 3700X is very powerful and expancive processor costs about 400$ so I'm sure not representative for most users even here - I don't speak all over the world
Old 12th March 2020, 00:47   #23789  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

I use a Ryzen 7 3700X in my "HTPC"

QB

ps... just noticed I need to update my System Specs below... coming soon...
Old 12th March 2020, 07:39   #23790  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacondither View Post
They have improved 10-bit decoding a lot.
Yeah I was gonna say, but I reckon he already knows just isn't giving LAV any time atm.
MPC-BE internal filters are well on it though if you wanna try. Very nice speed ups indeed.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 07:42   #23791  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Thanks for test but Ryzen 7 3700X is very powerful and expancive processor costs about 400$ so I'm sure not representative for most users even here - I don't speak all over the world
it is 40 % while half the cores are sleeping reporting higher CPU usages as it rally is meaning the real CPU usage is around ~35% maybe even lower hard to say these days.

what so ever a 4 core CPU with similar IPC can do this task easily too.
Old 12th March 2020, 17:23   #23792  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
it is 40 % while half the cores are sleeping...
I've understood you well from your first post - no need to repeat - I have to repeat simple things to nevcairiel because he don't want (not always but I have to prove the usefulness i.e. 10bit CUVID decoding or not using DXVA CUVID processing in years) to implement simple enough but very useful for SAT amateurs thing like not all frame decoding in LAV Video Decoder.
I believe in madVR's Ctrl+J statistic you're see 1 frame drop every (how much?) minutes or even hours.
Quote:
what so ever a 4 core CPU with similar IPC can do this task easily too
Key words similar IPC (meaning new and commonly expensive processors - I'm sure not all Ryzen 5 enough) because I'd tried 4K 4:2:2 h265 20180428-175510_4K ENC 3 RMAD VS LEG.ts (563 MB) https://yadi.sk/d/m0s5ztpj3XnUyw on 8-core AMD FX-8370 with stuttering and not synced audio and video despite of 100% load of each core.

huhn, QBhd and other with powerful processors
Try to play with LAV Video Decoder 8K AV1 HDR 60fps 31Mbps 831MB three and half minutes (namely so long it must be played measured with independent watches):
- my computer can't even seek through this file (but I'm sure with only I-frame decoding it'll be possible) to see what after night with bright points in a bottom (and I haven't Internet to download with lower resolution), please. What CPU load and how many fps do you see in renderer statistic?

Last edited by VictorLS; 12th March 2020 at 18:03.
Old 12th March 2020, 18:07   #23793  |  Link
soresu

Quote:
I've understood you well from your first post - no need to repeat - I have to repeat simple things to nevcairiel because he don't want (not always but I have to prove the usefulness i.e. 10bit CUVID decoding or not using DXVA CUVID processing in years) to implement simple enough but very useful for SAT amateurs thing like not all frame decoding in LAV Video Decoder.
I believe in madVR's Ctrl+J statistic you're see 1 frame drop every (how much?) minutes or even hours.

Key words similar IPC (meaning new and commonly expensive processors - I'm sure not all Ryzen 5 enough) because I'd tried 4K 4:2:2 h265 20180428-175510_4K ENC 3 RMAD VS LEG.ts (563 MB) https://yadi.sk/d/m0s5ztpj3XnUyw on 8-core AMD FX-8370 with stuttering and not synced audio and video despite of 100% load of each core.

huhn, QBhd and other with powerful processors
Try to play with LAV Video Decoder 8K AV1 HDR 60fps 31Mbps 831MB three and half minutes
- my computer can't even seek through this file (but I'm sure with only I-frame decoding it'll be possible) to see what after night with bright points in a bottom (and I haven't Internet to download with lower resolution), please. What CPU load and how many fps do you see in renderer statistic?
The only significant optimisation recently for 10+ bpc content was for the C code on the x86 hardware platform - which was itself mostly significant because there are no 10+ bpc SIMD optimisations on x86 at all.

For now all the SIMD optimisations for 10+ bpc are exclusively ARMv8-A/NEON platforms, and this due to Netflix sponsored coding to get their 10 bit HDR content sped up on Android devices.

Last edited by soresu; 12th March 2020 at 20:02.
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 19:52   #23794  |  Link
VictorLS

soresu
Thanks for information.
Btw my computer was playing youtube-dl -f 571 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VF4DfBPOY file in 1 hour and 3 minutes
One more (and beautiful Yellowstone National Park) 8K AV1 HDR 60fps 23Mbps 705MB 04min04s

Last edited by VictorLS; 13th March 2020 at 08:49.
Old 12th March 2020, 20:07   #23795  |  Link
soresu

Going by the results I've seen, the impact of threading seems to increase with resolution, so 8K benefits should be greater than 4K for each new optimisation - though of course offset by the fact of 8K needing those optimisations more due to higher complexity.

It makes me wonder what the maximum block size will become in AV2, or for that matter if they will start accounting for things like lightfield compression - I'm pretty sure that at least VR 180 + 360 degree video is on the agenda for AV2, not sure what if any specific attention was paid to it with AV1.
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2020, 21:07   #23796  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
easily fixable and totally unrelated
Quote:
you take a CPU which was terrible at it's release date using a over 8 year old architecture which are so bad the old one where just plain better as a comparison?
these CPU are not even considered as 8 cores CPU anymore after AMD lost a lawsuit.

not going to say if a below 100 euro can do this task for sure
but the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 [12nm] may be able to do the job it just bad at AVX which maybe very important here.
a 6 core intel cpu should be do this task with ease and it's not expensive at all...
or even better a Ryzen 5 3600 which may take a nap.
Old 12th March 2020, 21:35   #23797  |  Link
VictorLS

Quote:
where just plain better as a comparison?
Intel Core i7-4770 can't play that 4K 4:2:2 h265 20180428-175510_4K ENC 3 RMAD VS LEG.ts (563 MB) https://yadi.sk/d/m0s5ztpj3XnUyw smoothly too - it's a pity my friends haven't more powerful processors.
Quote:
easily fixable and totally unrelated
Because it's offtop here can you give link I can read about?
Btw I set my vertical frequency output of videocard according the top value of Hz in madVR's Ctrl+J and usually haven't problems - usually 1 frame repeat (or drop) every (some) hours.

Last edited by VictorLS; 12th March 2020 at 21:39.
Old 13th March 2020, 02:08   #23798  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by soresu View Post
For now all the SIMD optimisations for 10+ bpc are exclusively ARMv8-A/NEON platforms, and this due to Netflix sponsored coding to get their 10 bit HDR content sped up on Android devices.
What kind of devices? TV boxes? I don't see how anyone would want to decode video, especially 4K HDR, with the CPU on an Android device, it would either kill the battery in minutes if it's a smartphone/tablet, or thermal throttle.
If that is indeed true then Netflix would make better use of their money subsidizing SoC vendors to develop fixed-function decode blocks.
Old 13th March 2020, 07:30   #23799  |  Link
ryrynz

Update ffmpeg
Update dav1d to 0.6.0
Nevcairiel committed 21 hours ago

Cheers!
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2020, 10:09   #23800  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
it would either kill the battery in minutes if it's a smartphone/tablet, or thermal throttle.
This is not actually true. CPU load doesn't require as much power, GPU is far worse, and its not like its running at 100%, and the display takes the top anyway.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter