Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 19th February 2014, 05:47   #19281  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigmatta View Post
Hey, so i made a backup of game of thrones using Full Backup BD-5/DVD-5 option. I burned the files using Imgburn. When i try to play the dvd-r in my bluray player or in PowerDVD, its giving me an error saying it cant read the disc...This is my first time backing up a TV series type bluray with BDR. Is there a specific way to backup these type of blurays? Am i missing some special settings in the ripping or burning? Should tv series type blurays not use full backup option? Any tips? Ive never had an issue with NON-Series type blurays.

Other settings im using
*Use 448 kbs
*Strict avchd for bd5/9 movie-only

thx for any help/tips
Most of the time your player has to support AVCHD before it will play from DVD-R. Also -- AVCHD doesn't support JAVA. So that could be a factor as well. Some players will play it back anyway -- but some may not.

Not sure about PowerDVD. Are you sure it is burning without errors?

I'll do a couple of full backups of some series discs tonight to BD-9 just to make sure nothing has happened. But, honestly, I don't think there will be any issues.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th February 2014 at 06:01.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 06:49   #19282  |  Link
Stigmatta

Ya my player plays avchd all the time. Like i said, this is the first time ive done a TV Series type disc and i dont know if they need to be ripped/burnt some specific way...
If you get a positive working backup, let me know how you did it! Id greatly appreciate it!
Stigmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 08:04   #19283  |  Link
DoctorM

Pop-up error: tsmuxer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Seriously, that log was about it. Here is the full log going from a BD25 to BD25 movie only (just for the quick log):
Code:
[02/19/14] BD Rebuilder v0.46.13 (beta)
[01:59:35] Source:  ***
  - Input BD size: 21.79 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:09:44.777]
  - Target BD size: 22.95 GB
  - Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
  - MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
  - Quality: Highest (Very Slow), CRF
  - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[01:59:37] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [01:59:37] Processing: VID_00001 (1 of 1)
 - [01:59:37] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
 - Error in attempt to extract audio/subs.
 - Network Optix tsMuxeR.  Version 2.6.12. www.networkoptix.com
[02:00:07] - Failed to retrieve audio, aborted
Has there been a change in the version of tsMuxeR? Does the new one have different system requirements or something?

Edit: Yeah, swapped out the tsmuxer.exe with an older one and it works fine. Something hinky in new version.
Edit 2: Just tested a dozen versions of tsmuxer, I can't run any version past 1.10.6. Something in the new code either doesn't like my WinXP or old CPU.
Hopefully, I can keep copying 1.10.6 into your new releases and it'll work. My PC isn't getting upgraded any time soon and I sure won't want to be doing without BDRB.

Edit 3: Noticed something else. "Input BD size" shown in the log still includes the disabled audio and subtitle tracks.
I've now seen this force an unnecessary re-encoding. It probably also causes undersized discs.

Last edited by DoctorM; 19th February 2014 at 09:40.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 14:08   #19284  |  Link
Taurus

@DoctorM
You must have a very old CPU, guessing AMD Athlon XP?
Without SSE2 instructions, no go with new tsmuxer.
You have to stick with the old version or buy a new PC
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 14:55   #19285  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Pop-up error: tsmuxer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Seriously, that log was about it. Here is the full log going from a BD25 to BD25 movie only (just for the quick log):
Code:
[02/19/14] BD Rebuilder v0.46.13 (beta)
[01:59:35] Source:  ***
  - Input BD size: 21.79 GB
  - Approximate total content: [02:09:44.777]
  - Target BD size: 22.95 GB
  - Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
  - MOVIE-ONLY mode enabled
  - Quality: Highest (Very Slow), CRF
  - Decoding/Frame serving: DirectShow
  - Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=0 Kbs=640
[01:59:37] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [01:59:37] Processing: VID_00001 (1 of 1)
 - [01:59:37] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00001]
 - Error in attempt to extract audio/subs.
 - Network Optix tsMuxeR.  Version 2.6.12. www.networkoptix.com
[02:00:07] - Failed to retrieve audio, aborted
Has there been a change in the version of tsMuxeR? Does the new one have different system requirements or something?

Edit: Yeah, swapped out the tsmuxer.exe with an older one and it works fine. Something hinky in new version.
Edit 2: Just tested a dozen versions of tsmuxer, I can't run any version past 1.10.6. Something in the new code either doesn't like my WinXP or old CPU.
Hopefully, I can keep copying 1.10.6 into your new releases and it'll work. My PC isn't getting upgraded any time soon and I sure won't want to be doing without BDRB.

Edit 3: Noticed something else. "Input BD size" shown in the log still includes the disabled audio and subtitle tracks.
I've now seen this force an unnecessary re-encoding. It probably also causes undersized discs.
The new version of TSMUXER has been there for the last several releases. It's not a good idea to swap out the version, there are several functions that depend on it -- and I won't support bug reports that use the old one.
Old 19th February 2014, 14:59   #19286  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
@DoctorM
You must have a very old CPU, guessing AMD Athlon XP?
Without SSE2 instructions, no go with new tsmuxer.
You have to stick with the old version or buy a new PC
AMD's processors have supported SSE2 since 2003. I would hope no one is using a processor that old for HD encoding???
Old 19th February 2014, 15:55   #19287  |  Link
Stigmatta

hey jdobbs, any luck with the season bd?
Any possibility the issue could be similar to what Sharc was having? Maybe i should be using Quick-Play instead of Full Backup options for TV series blurays and BDR is having an issue with menus for them?
Old 19th February 2014, 16:15   #19288  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Any possibility the issue could be similar to what Sharc was having? Maybe i should be using Quick-Play instead of Full Backup options for TV series blurays and BDR is having an issue with menus for them?
If I understand correctly you are doing full backups of series discs. That is different from Sharc, who is importing the episodes. His issue is different as well.

I had a crash during my series backups last night (something entirely my fault due to some test code), so they didn't complete. I'll have to run them today sometime.
Old 19th February 2014, 16:45   #19289  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWK View Post
Jdobbs, do we need option write to iso file with imgBurn anymore. Since tsmuxer can do that just fine.

Also I was thinking frimdecode can decode MPEG2, H.264 AVC, H.264 MVC (3D) and VC1 as well, by adding that option for frame-serving it would provide another option.
I decided to play with this a little... one other note (in addition to my original response): It seems FRIMDecode can't decode VC-1 interlaced files (or at least the one I'm trying right now from M2TS imput). It seems to just freeze and never output anything.
Old 19th February 2014, 17:51   #19290  |  Link
colinhunt

Did a Full backup of La Grande Illusion (StudioCanal Collection) to BD25 on BD-RB v0.46.11. Process finished without errors but the backup won't play on anything. A Blu-ray mastering application could not open the backup, it simply complained something about being unable to initialize BDMV content.

I'll do another run on the new version of BD-RB.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 18:56   #19291  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
I just did one full backup of a series disc (Modern Family) with no issues. It was to a BD-9, and I played it back with PowerDVD and also on my Samsung standalone player. I have a second job (STNG) running now.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:05   #19292  |  Link
Stigmatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I just did one full backup of a series disc (Modern Family) with no issues. It was to a BD-9, and I played it back with PowerDVD and also on my Samsung standalone player. I have a second job (STNG) running now.
Do you mind sharing what you used for all your settings? Could it be because i used DVD-5? Also, did you use Imgburn.

Last edited by Stigmatta; 19th February 2014 at 19:12.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:20   #19293  |  Link
Rodger

DVD5 is brutal. How much video is there?
Or to make it short...what bitrate is used to reencode?

For HD you really shouldn´t go below 4Mbit.

Differences will be visible eventually.
On my 55" Samsung TV BD Backups look fine....With my Epson Beamer on 90" Canvas I can see the difference between original Blu-Ray and BD25 !!!
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 19:33   #19294  |  Link
Stigmatta

Im sure there is alot of video seeing its a series disc. Im using 448kbs as far as sound goes. I guess i could try again using DVD-9, 448kbs, and full backup this time and see how it goes...
Old 19th February 2014, 19:34   #19295  |  Link
omegaman7

I've seen some pretty impressive results at low bitrate.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:40   #19296  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Do you mind sharing what you used for all your settings? Could it be because i used DVD-5? Also, did you use Imgburn.
BD-5 & 9 are processed identically, so, while the picture may not be as good, if it works on a BD-9 it will work on a BD-5.

My settings are the default that comes with BD-RB, except I am using DGDecNV. But that would have no effect on the structure of the output.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:50   #19297  |  Link
DoctorM

I completely understand you not supporting a really old CPU. I'll continue to swap tsmuxer or use old versions as long as I have to. That's my problem.
But the calculations for that take place before Tsmuxer becomes involved.

Unless you've addressed an issue with the "BD Input Size" being wrong recently, you should take a look. Same log: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...41#post1669241
The original M2TS is 21.79gb as being reported, but more than a gig of audio tracks were disabled there. BDRB doesn't deduct that and forces a re-encode even though only a rebuild is needed.

True for Movie Only and Movie with Menus.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 19:57   #19298  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I completely understand you not supporting a really old CPU. I'll continue to swap tsmuxer or use old versions as long as I have to. That's my problem.
But the calculations for that take place before Tsmuxer becomes involved.

Unless you've addressed an issue with the "BD Input Size" being wrong recently, you should take a look. Same log: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...41#post1669241
The original M2TS is 21.79gb as being reported, but more than a gig of audio tracks were disabled there. BDRB doesn't deduct that and forces a re-encode even though only a rebuild is needed.

True for Movie Only and Movie with Menus.
I'll look at it. But I don't get what you're saying. The input size is the size before removal or reencoding -- thus the name "Input Size". It includes everything except files that will be copied intact (full backup mode).

The determination as to whether it is kept intact is made when the file is extracted. If the video + kept-audio + kept-subtitles are small enought to hit the target without encoding... then encoding is avoided.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th February 2014 at 20:09.
Old 19th February 2014, 20:34   #19299  |  Link
Stigmatta

im gonna try again using DGDecNV, never used that before
Do i need to adjust anything in DGDecNV itself to work correctly or just leave it default and 32bit.
thanks for your help btw
Old 19th February 2014, 20:41   #19300  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
im gonna try again using DGDecNV, never used that before
Do i need to adjust anything in DGDecNV itself to work correctly or just leave it default and 32bit.
thanks for your help btw
No, all you have to do is selected it (and browse to it) in SETUP. But, while I always recommend DGDecNV to anyone with a compatible video card because it is faster and more stable, I don't see how that could possibly affect the playback issues you're having. DGDecNV provides frame serving -- but the output comes from X264 either way, and is built with TSMUXER.

Also, DGDecNV is not freeware and does not come with BD-RB.

Your best bet might be to uninstall BD-RB, AVISYNTH, HAALI, and FFDSHOW -- and then reinstall everything following the first post of this thread exactly.

Last edited by jdobbs; 19th February 2014 at 20:44.