Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 4th January 2009, 16:00   #5981  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuox View Post
you can't expect them to prioritize your Ozone request, which I think less than 1% of ffdshow users even use.
well many of my friends use OzoneMP in ffdshow if that's something you were worried about...this thing just sounds too good to be passed out

I've asked Vincent Burel for a debug winamp2 plugin coz Haruhiko said it would help to see why it's freezing when we open new files.

anyhow, I will bug Seb.26 for that OzoneMP fix if Haruhiko can tell me where the "glitch" is....Seb.26 is a friend of mine and he knows his C++ sh*t(being a professional coder and all)....it's just that he told me that the ffdshow audio code was a hell of a mess, so any pointer would be greatly appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
I think MPC-HC has code for detecting the active monitor.
very basic resolution condition would do you know
no need for realtime monitor detection IMHO.

Last edited by leeperry; 4th January 2009 at 16:08.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 17:25   #5982  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Quote:
I can imagine that there are people that want to be able to configure them individually. So I vote against grouping.
Isn't there a hard limit in the number of codecs listed anyway?
Old 4th January 2009, 17:37   #5983  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
Applied as rev. 2562:
+ UI Improvement: Normalization filter: max. amplification will only be applied after pressing "apply". (or OK)
Thanks a lot for fixing this.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 18:30   #5984  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
Isn't there a hard limit in the number of codecs listed anyway?
Nope.
Old 4th January 2009, 21:25   #5985  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

OK, fair enough.

I have another "bug" to report. In de-interlacing, the kernel deinterlacers (blend and bob) are both broken as performance has gone completely to pot. Kernel bob used to be my favourite deinterlacer, now I can't use it cos it's not fast enough. What changed?
Old 5th January 2009, 02:09   #5986  |  Link
EpsilonX

Quote:
I think MPC-HC has code for detecting the active monitor.

But preset functionality should ideally also be adjusted to re-select a preset every X seconds. That would be useful when there are changes in the input (number of audio channels, video resolution) and output (screen res of active monitor).

For example with an extended desktop config, people may start a video on monitor 1 and drag it to monitor 2.
There seems to be a little "bug" that prevents the video to be scaled correctly if we change the resize setting during playback...
For example, the screen resolution is 1680x1050, the resize is set at 1360x768...
When I switch the resize setting to "Screen resolution", the video will be resized to screen's resolution, but with the wrong aspect ratio...
This only happens when "Keep original aspect ratio" is chosen...
Is this an expected behavior..?
EpsilonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 09:39   #5987  |  Link
Mixer73

Hey guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I just installed the x64 version (2547) but I already had 32bit version installed at that time. It was working really nicely under Vista 64bit.

After realising I had both installed, I uninstalled 32bit version and rebooted, and I don't think the 64bit version is working. When I play videos the performance is bad (I have xvid codec installed), and FFDShow settings don't seem to have any effect, plus I don't have the FFDShow icons for video or audio on the task bar.

Would installing 64bit version alongside 32bit version cause an improper installation? What's the best procedure for a complete uninstallation so I can fix the install?

Thanks for your help.
Mixer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 10:31   #5988  |  Link
tetsuox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer73 View Post
Hey guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

I just installed the x64 version (2547) but I already had 32bit version installed at that time. It was working really nicely under Vista 64bit.

After realising I had both installed, I uninstalled 32bit version and rebooted, and I don't think the 64bit version is working. When I play videos the performance is bad (I have xvid codec installed), and FFDShow settings don't seem to have any effect, plus I don't have the FFDShow icons for video or audio on the task bar.

Would installing 64bit version alongside 32bit version cause an improper installation? What's the best procedure for a complete uninstallation so I can fix the install?

Thanks for your help.
You can install both, I have both 32 and x64 bit installed on my system. I only use the x64 for testing purposes only. Also remember that if you want to use x64 version, your entire filter chain has to be x64 all the way to MPC-HC. Say if you open a video in MPC-HC32, it will auto load ffdshow32. Likewise for MPC-HC64.

As for changing the settings for ffdshow with both installed, say you wanted to change settings for ffdshow32, there would 2 copies of "Video Decoder Configuration" in your Start Menu. When you mouse over it, the 32bit one would show something like "rundll (C:\Windows\SysWOW64)" in the tooltip, clicking on this will open ffdshow video config for the 32bit version.

As for the x64 version, the tooltip will be "rundll (C:\Windows\system32)".

It also looks to me that you're not using MPC-HC x64, which is why the ffdshow systray icons aren't showing up after you installed the 32-bit version.

If you want to uninstall, just run the ffdshow uninstaller from the Start Menu, again there should be 2. Furthermore, there should also be 2 ffdshow folders, one under "C:\Program Files\ffdshow" for the x64 version, and one under "C:\Program Files (x86)\ffdshow" for the 32 bit version.

In any case, you should be able to just reinstall the x64 version, uninstall it, if you're missing the uninstaller. Then reinstall the 32-bit version and stick with that.

IMO stick to the 32-bit version only unless you have a good reason to use the x64 version. I have the x64 version of ffdshow installed for use with Windows Media Encoder x64.

You don't need to reboot, just make sure any applications that use ffdshow are closed.
tetsuox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 12:17   #5989  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
I have another "bug" to report. In de-interlacing, the kernel deinterlacers (blend and bob) are both broken as performance has gone completely to pot. Kernel bob used to be my favourite deinterlacer, now I can't use it cos it's not fast enough. What changed?
ff_kernelDeint.dll is a separate Visual Studio project and is usually only recompiled once in a blue moon with Intel's compiler when anything in the Kernel Deint sources itself changes - which it hasn't for some time now.

So either something else in some other part of ffdshow changed recently that makes it run slow, or you're using a build/an installer where a ff_kernelDeint.dll compiled with debug settings was included instead of the ICL compiled one...

I'll try a recent build when I get home tonight - where did you get yours? xvidvideo.ru?

Last edited by Leak; 5th January 2009 at 12:22.
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 14:31   #5990  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
When I see a DVD movie, subtitle function of ffdshow doesn't work if I use "open dvd" function of MPC-HC. To see subtitle with ffdshow when i see a dvd movie I must open .vob file if not subtitles aren't displayed.
Media player classic, the old one, works for me.

Please ask in MPC-HC thread.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:43   #5991  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
It's easy if we ignore multiple monitor system. But the request is posted probably because there are multiple monitors.
It may be possible to get the resolution of the screen where the video window is placed, but at least it's hard. Patches welcome.
It is possible to get the resolution of the current screen, I added it in the resize filter "Resize to screen resolution". So this is not too difficult to implement to presets auto-loading section.

The following MS API is used to do this : GetSystemMetrics
But it works on the primary monitor (which is the one that will hold the video)

But what would be the benefit of this feature ?

Last edited by albain; 5th January 2009 at 16:58.
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 17:01   #5992  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpsilonX View Post
There seems to be a little "bug" that prevents the video to be scaled correctly if we change the resize setting during playback...
For example, the screen resolution is 1680x1050, the resize is set at 1360x768...
When I switch the resize setting to "Screen resolution", the video will be resized to screen's resolution, but with the wrong aspect ratio...
This only happens when "Keep original aspect ratio" is chosen...
Is this an expected behavior..?
No, that seems wrong to me. But Haruhiko is the expert with regard to the resize implementation, so wait until he comments on this issue.
Old 5th January 2009, 17:16   #5993  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

there has been an interesting RV40(realvideo) commit to the ffdshow svn:

Quote:
Revision 16419 - Directory Listing
Modified Sun Jan 4 01:36:11 2009 UTC (38 hours, 36 minutes ago) by cehoyos
Use H264 MMX chroma functions to accelerate RV40 decoding.

Patch by Mathieu Velten (matmaul A gmail)
Those interested should try a new build and see if that solves the random stuttering or at the very least lowers CPU%
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 18:24   #5994  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
The following MS API is used to do this : GetSystemMetrics
But it works on the primary monitor (which is the one that will hold the video)
Are you really sure about that? MPCs Direct3D renderer doesn't really care which screen is the primary one - it'll go fullscreen without problems on any monitor...

np: Other People's Children - Suicide Common (A Number Of Small Things (Disc 2))
Old 5th January 2009, 18:34   #5995  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
ff_kernelDeint.dll is a separate Visual Studio project and is usually only recompiled once in a blue moon with Intel's compiler when anything in the Kernel Deint sources itself changes - which it hasn't for some time now.

So either something else in some other part of ffdshow changed recently that makes it run slow, or you're using a build/an installer where a ff_kernelDeint.dll compiled with debug settings was included instead of the ICL compiled one...

I'll try a recent build when I get home tonight - where did you get yours? xvidvideo.ru?
clsid's builds on the SF page. Something from about 3-4 months ago works, but I can't remember which revision. Something in the past month or 2 has broken it I think.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:41   #5996  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
clsid's builds on the SF page. Something from about 3-4 months ago works, but I can't remember which revision. Something in the past month or 2 has broken it I think.
You can try xvidvideo.ru builds one by one to find where the problem is, thus localizing the problem if there is any.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 18:43   #5997  |  Link
clsid

SF also has a few hundred old builds:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=436746

Last edited by clsid; 5th January 2009 at 18:48.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 01:43   #5998  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
But what would be the benefit of this feature ?
Well, I want to use ffdshow to correct the primaries of my display.
See this post a few pages back.

Currently, I have to use an Avisynth filter for it, but I already suggested the addition of the 3D LUT to ffdshow.
And each display have different primaries, so, for each display, I have to use a different 3D LUT. That's why I need the preset selection by the screen resolution... or I have to change it manually each time I switch between my monitor and my projector...
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 02:20   #5999  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

One thing I've noticed in the installer:

There are several formats that have two possible decoders, like MPEG-2 for example. However, most of these formats don't have two suboptions in the installer, they're either checked or unchecked. This means that if for example you select wmv9 decoder for WMV3/9 and then you install a new build, as the installer doesn't have an option for wmv9 it defaults to "checked". And when you actually look at WMV3/9 in the new installed build, it's configured as libavcodec, the first choice. There are quite a few formats affected by this, like Xvid, WMV1/7, WMV2/8, WMV3/9,etc.

Also both MPEG-2 decoders seek perfectly now, libmpeg2 a bit faster with the recent changes.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 03:20   #6000  |  Link
Snowknight26

Seeking using libavcodec on H.264 videos (r2583) sometimes gives horrible desync and crazily fluctuating frames per second till about 5-10 seconds in.. when it levels out and goes back to being synchronized.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl