Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 18th July 2006, 05:55   #1  |  Link
Lordodivx

MacBook and MacBookPro

I recently purchased a macbook and a macbook pro. In order to view xvid files on these, specifically to watch them in imovie or use them in final cut pro to practice editing will i need to download a codec? Also, if there is a codec for it is there a specific mac codec or is it the same one that one would use for windows?

Thank You.
Lordodivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 17:18   #2  |  Link
Dayvon
I'm Dayvon, an MP4 addict

I can test this out when I get home. In general though, unless your Xvid files are CLI-encoded, in a MP4 container, and Quicktime compliant, you will not be able to play/import in Quicktime and probably iMovie as well. There are no tools like VirtualDub to screw around with files and use any codec etc. iMovie and Final Cut Pro are VERY proprietary, which is what makes them good, and what makes them bad. I haven't found any "codecs" that you can add to Final Cut's rendering. If everything is MP4 compliant, and not High Profile'd, it should be compatible.

In order to WATCH Xvid Windows files (VFW), it is best to use VLC player. It plays all my windows files fine. Other than that, there are not too many players for Mac.

For encoding files on Mac, everyone says FFMpegX which seems to work well. Also try handbrake.

Last edited by Dayvon; 18th July 2006 at 17:21.
Dayvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 17:23   #3  |  Link
Randi

you can watch nearly everything with VLC (www.videolan.org) or Mplayer

Randi
Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 18:11   #4  |  Link
Lordodivx

Would I beable to edit the videos in Final Cut? or iMovie? that is what i'm looking to do.
Old 18th July 2006, 19:34   #5  |  Link
Dayvon

First of all, what kind of Xvid clips do you have? .AVI or .MP4? Secondly, do you know what settings they were recorded with? (like GMC, or QPEL)

If you have source files (MPEG2, Raw video, DV) then yes, you can open these in iMovie/Final Cut, edit them and render to H263 which is Xvid-like compression to an MP4 or MOV file.

I need more info from you for me to help.
Old 18th July 2006, 20:34   #6  |  Link
Lordodivx

The Files are in .AVI format...They were taken off DVDs and encoded with AutoGK i Don't know if they were recorded in GMC or QPEL and by source files do you mean the .VOB files? I'm kind of new to all of this.
Old 18th July 2006, 20:56   #7  |  Link
Dayvon

Yeah, if you encoded them with AutoGK, then you probably wont be able to edit these in iMovie or Final Cut Pro. I can try some of my old VDub files and see if I can import them, but I doubt these types of Xvid clips will work.

One thing you can do is download GSpot (look on www.doom9.org downloads section, under AVI editing tools, click show all) and use this to learn specifics about the type of encoding your files have. (Specifically GMC and Qpel)

Do you know whether these files have MP3 as audio, or AC3, or something else?

And like we said earlier VLC player will PLAY your files, but for editing there are few (none) Mac tools to edit "video for windows" (VFW) files that use custom codecs like Xvid.

Last edited by Dayvon; 18th July 2006 at 21:01.
Old 18th July 2006, 21:16   #8  |  Link
Lordodivx

If i am unable to use these files with iMovie or Final Cut is there a way to re-encode them the VOB files to be mac compatible?
Old 18th July 2006, 23:07   #9  |  Link
LordDethstar
Forum Spammer

You can download DivX for Mac, which integrates into Quicktime, and also works with XviD files (but I don't know about .mp4, only about AVI).
LordDethstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2006, 23:23   #10  |  Link
Lordodivx

Where can I get the DivX for mac codec and does it allow the files to be run in iMovie and FCP?
Old 18th July 2006, 23:55   #11  |  Link
Dayvon

The Divx Codec seems to be working wonders. Final Cut Pro is importing Divx AND Xvid clips, even clips with GMC and Qpel. Impressive... It even seems to import Xvid & AC3 encoded clips. These movies are also playable in QuickTime BTW.

Now it seems to have difficulty with B-frames in encodes that have them, but overall, the files are editable and working. I'll try to cut something up and report back.

BTW to find the Divx for mac... try typing this phrase into a search called www.Google.com : "divx for mac"

Last edited by Dayvon; 18th July 2006 at 23:58.
Old 19th July 2006, 00:40   #12  |  Link
Dayvon

Yes, I've confirmed that Final Cut DOES have issues with the imported Xvid files and the b-frames. In other words, if you need to do exacting cutting, you won't be able to if your AVI has B-frames. Also, it appears that AC3 in AVI doesn't import properly, which means you might have to extract the audio and then add it to the imported video AVI.

But really the answers to your question are now YES you can edit Xvid/Divx video in Final Cut Pro, though it will be a bit quirky and it all depends on the kind of encoding of your source AVI.