Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th October 2002, 12:58   #1  |  Link
reutter

General newbies dictionary

hi!

I'm really new to this all and so I have read most of the faqs and tuts, but there are still *basic* questions unanswered!

you often find a faq or q&a and the first question is eg "what is the ... option for".
but what I would expect first is what that program is used for?

as I read through the faqs I began to write down all program-names and abbreviations (file-extensions) I stumbled over.
my wish would be a *basic faq* (also acting as reference) where is listed:
.) name of program
.) what is it for ("field of durty")
.) link to faq, homepage or download
and
.) abbrevation
.) what the abbr stands for
.) what does the abbr mean
.) when will I need it
.) link to ...

I wasn't sure if I should post the list here - so I attached it!
this list should only be a motivation - surely it is not complete in any way (but it would be very helpful for newbies!!!)

what do you think?

thanks
michael
reutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2002, 23:35   #2  |  Link
inoteb
OggMedia addict

Hmmm, why not... if it really interests several peoples.
inoteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2002, 01:04   #3  |  Link
Justinus
Anime Otaku

Quote:

.) name of program
.) what is it for ("field of durty")
I think you it already says briefly what the duty of each software on the main download page.
Quote:

.) link to faq, homepage or download
If you use search, you will find more information which you can filter by yourself. Moreover, you can find links on the Link page. Download is already on the main software page.
Quote:

.) abbrevation
.) what the abbr stands for
.) what does the abbr mean
.) when will I need it
.) link to ...
Most of abbreviation you ask for is on the Glossary page with brief information. And if you're not satisfied, then use Google to search what you want.
Trust is a social good to be protected just as much as the air we breathe or the water we drink. When it is damaged, the community as a whole suffers; and when it is destroyed, societies falter and collapse. - Bok (1978)
Justinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2002, 01:23   #4  |  Link
reutter

sorry - this sounds like you don't like this idea!

I really admit, that you can find all info using google and when you search the faqs and so on!

but what do you write faqs for, when you have google and you will find all information on the programs' homepages - I think that's no argument!

I think this would be a great improvement - as long as this could be a document EVERY interested newbie should read!

because of the complexity of this whole topic a newbie really is swamped with all the faqs and tutorials - so I think this would be a great start!
reutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2002, 01:43   #5  |  Link
Justinus
Anime Otaku

No, don't misunderstand me. I'm not against your idea. I admit that I have a hard time to learn those jargon including net abbreviation and software (how it works and what each option does) as well. I spent a couple months to fully understand how each software works because I don't use DVD2SVCD (I create my own way). And I'm still learning...

IMO the forum is the place where you can discuss the problem that you can't solve and you can't find this thread anywhere. Maybe my idea is a bit harsh because it means you have to spend a lot of times reading lots of stuff from all over the places.

I think your idea is to expand the current guides, especially Newbie one, in the main website into more detail. If you put everything into the forum, then there's no point to keep the main website, is there?
Trust is a social good to be protected just as much as the air we breathe or the water we drink. When it is damaged, the community as a whole suffers; and when it is destroyed, societies falter and collapse. - Bok (1978)
Justinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2002, 07:25   #6  |  Link
shancat

as a newbie myself, i agree with expanding on the newbie guide. i found them a little too advanced for my knowledge, and it does get very overwhelming trying to navigate through the guides, FAQ, and forums without a basic understanding of what is going on. for whatever that's worth....
shancat is offline   Reply With Quote