Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2003, 09:23   #1  |  Link
Difflam

Movies on DVD-R/RW don't play in xbox dvd player!

Hello,

I have a problem... For some reason any dvd movie burns I create on DVD-R or DVD-RW refuse to play in the xbox dongle free dvd player.

I know for absolute certain that these movies do in fact play fine in a standalone dvd player, and on my PC's dvd software. I can also in fact view the contents of the DVD using the xbox media player (and then play the movie "somewhat" in the media player by opening the ifo file manually).

I have tried burning my movies both in Nero Express (which came with the drive) and ImgTool Burn, and in both cases I get the exact same result.

One strange thing that I have noticed about these burns is that when I try and open a regular DVD movie in the xbox media player I can open it in both ISO and UDF mode... whereas my burns I can open ONLY in ISO mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Difflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2003, 00:01   #2  |  Link
Difflam

The solution!

Well I finally managed to get it working... For anyone who may be curious, the solution was to burn the disc in Clone DVD.

Does anyone have an idea as to why burning a movie in Clone DVD would work fine, but if I try and do it in almost any other program (ImgTool, DVD Decrypter, Nero, etc) I am unable to watch the movie on an xbox (and on some stand-alone players too I found out after I made the first post)?

I only have the trial version of Clone DVD, and I dont really want to have to pay more money for software to make my burner do what the included software should have allowed it to do...
Old 8th September 2003, 21:20   #3  |  Link
natedawg

I recently had a similar problem. I haven't done too much testing, but it looks as if the newer Ritek G04's play fine (I think i used DVD decrypter in ISO mode to burn those), but I have older double sided DVDs that do not play at all. The xbox seems pretty picky, I'll probably end up buying a cheap DVD player anyway.
natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2003, 02:18   #4  |  Link
Difflam

Don't think its related to the media... after making my first unusable burn, I decided to play around with a rewritable until I got it right... So it has always been the same disc that was being used... and in fact every burn I've done has worked perfectly in the xbox whereas using the previous methods have never worked.

Theres something really fishy about all this.

Anyone know how the whole dvd filesystem works? ie, can A disk be burnt in only UDF or only ISO (ie not both)? And can a disc be burnt in both filesystems at once? And which filesystem does the xbox dvd player require, and which filesystem do standalone players require? Why does ImgTool and DVD Decrypter create for me a disc which is ISO only, and not UDF whereas cloneDVD creates a disc which appears to be both?
Old 9th October 2003, 08:02   #5  |  Link
coona

I donīt know if this thread is still actual but:

1) Your standalone needs UDF filesystem (old ones need version 1.02 only, modern can work with newer versions)
2) Your PC needs ISO filesystem. If you have modern OS like W2K or XP you can probably read UDF filesystem too.
3) You can burn your DVD with filesystem you want - ISO or UDF or ISO/UDF.
4) ImgTool classic creates ISO image which contains ISO9660/UDF(1.02) bridge filesystem (to be compliant with DVD standard).
coona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2003, 01:24   #6  |  Link
Difflam

So if imgtool creates an image with ISO/UDF bridge why do my discs not work on standalone players or xbox when I burn an image created with it?
Old 10th October 2003, 03:33   #7  |  Link
DMagic1

Are these movies you created? What tool or tools did you use? Sometimes its your movie files or the way you burn them. Your files could need a vts correction. Do you have an AUDIO_TS folder? How is your disk named? Lots of things could be causing problems with your XBOX.
DMagic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2003, 03:32   #8  |  Link
Kb_cruncher
replecant

My xbox reads dvd+rw fine,have not tried -rw yet.I have a v1.1 xbox with the samsung dvdrom drive,this drive is capable to read any kind of dvd.the drive in v1.0 xbox is phillips and does not read all standards.
I would suggest using udf only file system for dvd/movies on dvd disc as it will definatly read in the xbox and is viewable in winXP.I would not recommend UDF for games though as data pickup with UDF can be slow and have an effect on games.
Old 7th November 2003, 10:47   #9  |  Link
jgarg

I use a normal dvd to start then stop it when the movie starts and then replace it with your burnt dvd and voila!! it plays.
jgarg is offline   Reply With Quote