Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 12th March 2007, 22:24   #1261  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

on advanced setting there is a check named "Last line avs script" , check it and write grayscale()

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 12th March 2007, 22:26   #1262  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@nx6 (Mon, March 12, 22:09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post

How would I do a grayscale encode in AutoMKV? I remember there being a checkbox on MkvMagic's advanced settings. I might be ripping a DVD of an old B&W film soon and would like to reap the space savings if I can define it as a grayscale job.
Sounds awesome... does the entire encode need to be in grayscale to truly benefit ?
I'm keen to encode 'The World at War' and 'The Cold War' series both of which are over 20 hrs long and 'mostly' in B&W... but not completely.

Pascal

Last edited by delacroixp; 12th March 2007 at 22:31. Reason: Ommission of Title
Old 12th March 2007, 23:55   #1263  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroixp View Post
Sounds awesome... does the entire encode need to be in grayscale to truly benefit ?
I'm keen to encode 'The World at War' and 'The Cold War' series both of which are over 20 hrs long and 'mostly' in B&W... but not completely.

Pascal
I don't know much about video encoding, but in still images Greyscale is typically 256 shades (4 bit), so comparing this to a full color (24 bit image) we're dealing with a colorspace that is only 1/6th the size. Even if this is done in a higher depth grayscale (the limit seems to be 16bit) we're still drastically reducing the actual palette used to draw the image.

So the answer is YES. You would have to encode the entire movie as grayscale for this to work. I don't think it is possible to dynamically change the bit depth of a video file while its playing, so whatever type you set it up as would be the number of colors assumed for the entire feature.

Logically, bandwidth not being used to handle so many more colors can be put to use on lowering image compression, so you would get much better image quality in a file of the same disk size. Or not used at all, so the encoding bitrate would just be lower and you would have a film of the same quality as the "full color" encoded one, but without unneeded bulk.

Also, since we would be reducing the actual color palette, compression artifacts wouldn't have the ability to show up in color on a B&W movie (which would be very noticeable).

If anyone can correct me on this I'd be happy to hear.

I might try encoding twice so I can see exactly what sort of saving I get from it. But it would be hard to gauge the exact benefits since I can't set a certain "image quality" for the encode and then use an unlimited movie size to see the difference between 4-bit grayscale and 24-bit color. Plus modern compression algorithms may make the difference less drastic.
Old 13th March 2007, 00:30   #1264  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@nx6

Quote:

I might try encoding twice so I can see exactly what sort of saving I get from it. But it would be hard to gauge the exact benefits since I can't set a certain "image quality" for the encode and then use an unlimited movie size to see the difference between 4-bit grayscale and 24-bit color. Plus modern compression algorithms may make the difference less drastic.
Well, you can in fact set the image quality by using the ConstantQuality-crf.xml profile set at, lets say, 22... or even leave it at the default of 18. This is a 1-pass unlimited filesize encode that 'gets it right the 1st time'... guided by your quality setting... higher numbers producing less quality and vice versa. 18 is near-perfect quality while 22 is still Excellent and 24 is Good quality.
This will also save you time along with all the adjoining benefits of Consistency, Efficiency and Effectiveness.

Pascal
Old 13th March 2007, 01:06   #1265  |  Link
nx6

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroixp View Post
Well, you can in fact set the image quality by using the ConstantQuality-crf.xml profile set at, lets say, 22... or even leave it at the default of 18. This is a 1-pass unlimited filesize encode that 'gets it right the 1st time'... guided by your quality setting... higher numbers producing less quality and vice versa. 18 is near-perfect quality while 22 is still Excellent and 24 is Good quality.
Pascal
Ah, I'll have to try that. I haven't had a chance to futz around with the profiles as I've been struggling to get a project to finish successfully in AutoMKV up to this point (and I've just now gotten there). [putting on dunce cap]

I still haven't gotten episodic DVD ripping (straight from DVD to MKV) to work properly, I'm not getting the right audio track options in AutoMKV when I use an .IFO file other than the one the program chooses by default (the one that rips all episodes into one single movie). But I realized today that DVDFabDecrypter can rip individual episodes from the DVD very nicely, it even lets me preview the episode so I don't have to guess what IFO to use and lets me pick the audio and subtitle tracks I want to rip there. So I preripped one today and set AutoMKV to processing before I left for work, so if that comes out fine I can concentrate of actually getting the best quality image I can in my size specification.

Speaking of quality settings, how do I interpret the AAC audio quality settings? I'm used to using bitrates for audio settings, but the AAC encoder is using some weird .1 -> 1.0 scale, how are these related to file size or quality?

Last edited by nx6; 13th March 2007 at 01:28.
Old 13th March 2007, 04:05   #1266  |  Link
Shark_jlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_jlc View Post
Container/codec=wmv/wmv
Resize filter =none
deinterlacer=film
removeGrain(mode=2)

No subtitles

and the now the movie is about half the viewing size as before (movie.avs does say 720) and the sounds is still out of sync.

I will try again with these settings tonight, but I'm going to re-rip the movie with ripit4me.
well, the audio seems to be fixed, but the movie is still not widescreen. I have about a 1" bar at the top and 1/4" bar at the bottom.

I'm tired of this cartoon :/

Since the movie is watchable now, I'm just going to leave it. Buzzqw, if you want me to test any other setttings for this, let me know, and I will.
Old 13th March 2007, 06:34   #1267  |  Link
nx6

Quote:
I realized today that DVDFabDecrypter can rip individual episodes from the DVD very nicely, it even lets me preview the episode so I don't have to guess what IFO to use and lets me pick the audio and subtitle tracks I want to rip there. So I preripped one today and set AutoMKV to processing before I left for work, so if that comes out fine I can concentrate of actually getting the best quality image I can in my size specification.
And it didn't rip properly with the DVD I was testing this feature with. I got a message that audio hadn't encoded properly, so I quit. I tried running it again after changing the audio format in case it was an AAC encoder error. No dice.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log3.txt (3.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: txt log4.txt (5.7 KB, 56 views)
Old 13th March 2007, 08:23   #1268  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

@nx6
nero quality goes from 0 to 1, from about 32kbs to transparent quality (near 320kbs)

@Shark_jlc
could i have a sample to test ?

@nx6
Quote:
And it didn't rip properly with the DVD I was testing this feature with. I got a message that audio hadn't encoded properly, so I quit
most probably the audio wasn't remapped in ifo... but if you ripped only one audio just select the first audio tracks regardless of what tell you ifo parsing

BHH
Old 13th March 2007, 08:41   #1269  |  Link
nx6

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzqw View Post
most probably the audio wasn't remapped in ifo... but if you ripped only one audio just select the first audio tracks regardless of what tell you ifo parsing
BHH
Huh? I don't understand.

The tracks I had to choose from in AutoMKV where the ones I had preripped in DVDFabDecrypter, so I couldn't choose the "first" audio track from the DVD as I hadn't ripped that one.
Old 13th March 2007, 10:20   #1270  |  Link
Prospero424

Quote:
added!

now when selecting "Original" as WIDTH the RESIZER goes to NONE
Nice! This is what I was just going to request. I'd also suggest a "1280" option in the drop-down menu.

Last edited by Prospero424; 13th March 2007 at 10:26.
Old 13th March 2007, 10:41   #1271  |  Link
nx6

@buzzqw

Ah, I think I understand you now. Since I ripped only the audio and subtitle tracks I wanted with DVDFabDecrypter, I don't have to define them in AutoMKV. I can just choose "All Audio Tracks" and "RIP ALL SUBS", which I just now tried, and the audio encoded this time and I got the final mkv file.

The only downside is the audio tracks are both labeled "und" in VLC media player.
Old 13th March 2007, 13:20   #1272  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

New FULL Release !

stable NEW package WITH DVDFabDecrypter www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV078.rar (8.38mb, all inclusive, NO install)
stable NEW package WITHOUT DVDFabDecrypter www.64k.it/andres/data/a/AutoMKV078_NORIP.rar (7.96mb, NO install)

0.78 Full Package 13/03/2007
ADDED: Is now possible to specify AVS input in AUDIO (suggestion by dlflannery)
Build your avs inputs as these examples:
for Videoinput.avs:
Code:
directshowsource("C:\apps\test\movie.avi",audio=false)+directshowsource("C:\apps\test\movie.avi",audio=false)
for Audioinput.avs
Code:
directshowsource("C:\apps\test\movie.avi",video=false)+directshowsource("C:\apps\test\movie.avi",video=false)
ADDED: --deadzone-inter and --deadzone-intra support to x264 profiles, change "false" to value you want (like 4)
ADDED: Process this PGC option
ADDED: PGC ripping. Only on ifo input (or dvd input) will be possible to select the specific PGC to process. Example, the vts_02_0.ifo contain 3 pgc , 3 episodes, before selecting input check both process this ifo and process this pgc. After selecting input select from the drop down list the pgc you want to process (correct subtitles ripping isn't guarantee)
ADDED: In XviD profiles added a new option <muxing> (if used only for avi container). This option can be valorized as: <muxing>auto</muxing> or <muxing>avi10</muxing> or <muxing>opendml</muxing>. On auto will be AutoMKV to select the better muxing, on avi10 will be forced the AVI 1.0 mux, on opendml will be forced OpenDML muxing
ADDED: To Queue and to save settings the pgc check
ADDED: On "Audio wasn't encoded properly" now AutoMKV will ask for continue or quit. The question is "timed", so after 120 seconds AutoMKV will continue, even if the muxing would be broken
ADDED: "Use DirectShowSource for Audio" to Save Setting and Queue
ADDED: Preset PAR to WMV encoding, the value of <pixelratio> could be
10:11 for DV NTSC fullscreen
40:30 for DV NTSC widescreen 40:33
12:11 for DV PAL fullscreen 12:11
16:11 for DV PAL widescreen 16:11
ADDED: AutoMKV will check for NeroAACEnc presence and if not found will offer the possibility to download (will simply start default browser on official Nero Digital Audio page)
ADDED: Command line help will be invoked even by -? (suggestion by Demeragon) (and by "/?" "?" "--?" "-help" "--help")
ADDED: Support for SoundOut. BePipe will be no more used. No more need of .NET Framework. Look at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...light=soundout
ADDED: SoundOut need that libsndfile-1.dll is in program path. On first start AutoMKV will ask to copy into c:\windows\system32 . Click YES button or Audio would be not encoded
ADDED: AutoMKV will save for every job its xml profile, so will be possible to "Use this profile" with queue. I hope to not break anything...
ADDED: "Original" in WIDTH selection. If selected "Original" the resizer will switch to NONE
FIXED: MP3 will support only official preset bitrate: 32, 40, 48, 56, 64, 80, 96, 112, 128, 160, 192, 224, 256, 320, also removed quality encoding, will remain ABR (default) and CBR encoding
FIXED: Coding Tech. AAC will be able to encode only up to 2ch (DPL II, DPL, Stereo, Mono). For encoding with AAC audio up to 5.1 Channel use Nero AAC Audio encoder
FIXED: ColorMatrix thread will be set to number of CPU*1.5. ColorMatrix will be faster.
FIXED: Episodic DVD/IFO and Process this PGC is avaiable only with ifo/dvd input
FIXED: Episodic DVD/IFO is renamed to Process this IFO
FIXED: AutoMKV, as reported in log will move original audio file to audio.XXX in \temp directory. Now it will copy this file (suggestion by dlflannery)
FIXED: When selecting on audio Copy Original the channel downmixing mode is disabled
FIXED: There are several refer to "ACC" audio instead of "AAC" audio (thanks to Demeragon)
FIXED: XviD threads will be set to automatic detection (suggestion by Demeragon)
FIXED: Several improvment to only audio encoding
FIXED: When encoding to WMV and movie is "Partly Film" then no more is used "Hybrid Decimating" but classical decimating (suggestion by Shark_jlc)
FIXED: AutoMKV will double count the size of audio on TS files (thanks to Prospero424)
FIXED: Better ToolTip for "Adjust CRF Profile". This option is to use only in conjuction with CRF profile and HIT MEDIA SIZE
FIXED: More robust use of XviD CQ profile and Hit Media Size
UPDATE: X264 to 628

@Prospero424
the width are near infinite...

@nx6
yes, that's what i mean
automkv analyze the ifo and found several audio tracks/subs, every audio and subs have an "addresses", but ripping and selecting only wanted audio/subs doesn't change the "addresses" in ifo, and so automkv goes crazy

BHH
Old 13th March 2007, 14:06   #1273  |  Link
Shark_jlc

That's quite the release, thanks buzzqw!

Quote:
@Shark_jlc
could i have a sample to test ?
BHH
What would a good tool be for me to use to get you a sample?

Last edited by Shark_jlc; 13th March 2007 at 14:11.
Old 13th March 2007, 14:15   #1274  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

you can use chopperXP

BHH
Old 13th March 2007, 14:36   #1275  |  Link
Prospero424

Quote:
@Prospero424
Oh, I know. I just thought it might be a good idea to have the preset considering a lot of people are converting from 1080 to 720 (approximately), myself included.

Great release!

P.S. I think you should submit AutoMKV to Betanews.com

Last edited by Prospero424; 13th March 2007 at 15:07.
Old 13th March 2007, 19:24   #1276  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero424 View Post
Quote:
added!

now when selecting "Original" as WIDTH the RESIZER goes to NONE
Nice! This is what I was just going to request. I'd also suggest a "1280" option in the drop-down menu.
Quote:
@Prospero424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero424 View Post
Oh, I know. I just thought it might be a good idea to have the preset considering a lot of people are converting from 1080 to 720 (approximately), myself included.
Perhaps it would be possible to have a slider system for the width as used by Dr DivX.
Of course you'ld have to pre-analyse each movie to calculate the recommended width for each format (PAL, NTSC, 4:3, HD).

Pascal
Attached Images

Last edited by delacroixp; 12th January 2008 at 01:31.
Old 13th March 2007, 19:38   #1277  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

the image isn't yet approved (better to use the free imageshack.us)

but automkv has already the "autocrop only" in width list...

BHH
Old 13th March 2007, 19:46   #1278  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@buzzqw

Quote:

i would like to include neroaacenc with automkv software but actually there is some license problem... i have better hope for future
Surely they can't refuse an Italian like yourself... what with Nero, the most infamous Roman of alltime...

Pascal
Old 13th March 2007, 20:19   #1279  |  Link
nx6

@delacroixp

I truly underestimated the size needed for extra audio tracks. The episode I ripped last night had two audio tracks and one subtitle, and container size was 1/4 CD and when I played the final movie I found the video size was only 160px wide. I was using the default NeroAAC settings (.35 quality) and am trying again with a 225MB final size and hope that helps my video substantially.

@buzzqw

I think I'm hung here on my system. I have a command prompt window which says:

Code:
S:\AutoMKV078\temp\MainMovie\COWBOY BEBOP\VIDEO_TS\temp>"S:\AutoMKV078\exe\encod
er\x264.exe" --bitrate 200 --progress --output "S:\AutoMKV078\temp\MainMovie\COW
BOY BEBOP\VIDEO_TS\temp\junk.mp4" "S:\AutoMKV078\temp\MainMovie\COWBOY BEBOP\VID
EO_TS\temp\mkvmaudio.avs"
avis [error]: unsupported input format (DIB )
and a window titled "Converting File" that says "Conversion Status: Initialization Successful, Beginning Convertion..." which I think belongs to NeroAAC.

My CPU is running 97-100%, but task manager says it is x264.exe that is taking all the cycles, and I seem to have no disk activity like I usually would have.

I'm going to shut down and go to work, but first I'll tell you what I changed from last time...

I ripped a different DVD episode and this time took the first two audio tracks listed in DVDFabDecrypter, and I once again defined them in AutoMKV instead of just choosing "all audio" AutoMKV listed four audio track choices when I was setting this run up even though I had only ripped two to start with. I was trying to get both audio tracks and have them labeled correctly for VLC player. Anyway, these happened to be 5.1 audio tracks, is that why I am hanging now? I figured Nero would downmix as needed on its own.

------

ah, I closed the open command prompt window and got the "Audio was not encoded properly" error with the auto countdown you added starting.
Old 13th March 2007, 20:27   #1280  |  Link
delacroixp
Emperor building empire

@buzzqw

Quote:
the image isn't yet approved (better to use the free imageshack.us)

but automkv has already the "autocrop only" in width list...
You're quite right but the 'Image Layout' is still good.

I noticed that when saving the .ini job file... the extension is still ommitted (ver 0.78), unless specifically added... eventhough prompted by the default .ini saving option.

Pascal
Closed Thread