Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 8th October 2005, 16:40   #1  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

PARanoia

Also conversions and PAR 1:1 (mpeg4) targets are supported

In case of mpeg4 target, do choose the wanted profile (max allowed size)

Individual Capture Cards/Drivers are supported at Avi-Capture inputs

Add common used commands to the resulting script

Do enter/edit and preview the resulted Avisynth script

You dont have to put the dgdecode.dll or MPEG2Dec3.dll in the Apps folder, it will be recognised (if correctly installed) in the Avisynth/plugins folder (via API).

Although this Appl. supports the string architecture of DVD2AVI generetaed d2v files you should upgrade to the Latest DGMPEGDec stable release from here:
http://www.neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html
(Nice stuff inside! QuantMatrix Logging, mpeg1 support etc.)

Always remember: If downloading a new release of DgIndex, you also have to update the dgdecode.dll!!

Sources will be released when main bugs are fixed, main ideas are implementated and code is cleaned up - and that takes time.

Get it here ...

Version 0.31b
http://sourceforge.net/projects/paranoia-

Changelog
0.30b
- Now Resize- and Crop-Mods are available from 2-16
- Conversion from nonanamorph to anamorph added
- Input-FourCC is shown in the SourceInfo
- Option for Avisource() using Pixel_Type="YUY2" in case of mjpeg input (mjpeg-fix)
- Window enlarged for supporting 768 width inputs

0.20b
- Regular PAR1:1 Avi and Capture-AVI support
- Taking into account the individual Capture Carc/driver active window.
- Doing panscanning/increasingHeight is now possible via the height up'n'down gadget.

0.10b
- Settings will be written into an ini file on exit und loaded when starting again.
- Mpeg4 Resoltion Profiles added in "Settings".
- Appl. got an icon

0.09b
- Fixed:A hughe bug was encountered as NTSC final target sizes didnt match when borders needed to be added.

0.08b
- Fixed: If the avisynthscript window is open then the main appl.window is deaktivated.

0.07b
- Full mpeg4 target resizing support up to big widescreen targets like 1040x576 which is non anamorph out of a 720x576 1.778:1 anamorph source

0.06b
- Resizing core obtained some "check" modes for more userfriendly results
- Generic Par Mode can now be choosen above under "Settings" (more settings will be added and able to be safed as ini soon).

0.05b
- Resizing core rewritten - more accurate.
- Now even more ITU compilancy
- The ITU option button now is functional

0.04b
- A bug in receiving the correct path to the user specific location of the avisynth plugins dir via reading the registry seems to be solved now.

0.03b
- AR Parsing of the d2v source has been fixed, so 4:3 d2vs will now be recognised as 4:3 d2vs and not 16:9.
- Reading the Systems Registry key of avisnth where the plugins path of avisynth is stored. Therefore if the dgdecode.dll or mpeg2dec3.dll wont be found via avisynth's plugins folder, the appl. folder will be used.

0.02b
- A bug was in the resizing core when manually changed the act.px area from 720 to 704 for instance, the result was simply wrong --- fixed

To Do (beside fixing bugs):
- Option for integrating readymade avs fuction templates into resulting scripts
- Histogram preview for checking the correct Luma of the source.

Last edited by Inc; 15th February 2006 at 10:40.
Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 20:10   #2  |  Link
Peter1234

@incredible:
Very nice. Thanks for all of the work that went into making this. Small item to fix, on Aviscript menu you have "safe script" which should maybe be "save script". Also on the button in the script window.
Peter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2005, 20:41   #3  |  Link
Pookie

Nice one ! I'm going to try it out today. Thanks, incredible.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 01:59   #4  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Interesting, someone just pointed me to before that "safe" would be ok, I was a bit unshure as the diff. of "to save" and "its safe" before to me seemed clear *g

Last edited by Inc; 9th October 2005 at 02:22.
Old 9th October 2005, 04:53   #5  |  Link
movax

Looks nice, very useful. A Delphi program, or C/C++?
movax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2005, 09:53   #6  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

It's written in Pure Basic.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:31   #7  |  Link
Wilbert

I finally got the time to look at it (v0.20 / didn't know there's a v0.30 ). Two comments:

1a) chips/drivers:

PAL: ATI's Rage Theater chip twice listed. It should have a capture window of 52.22 µs.
NTSC: ATI's Theater 200 chip - 52.15 µs.
NTSC: ATI's Rage Theater chip - 52.96 µs.

1b) An option to manually enter the capture window would be nice

2) scripts:

BicubicResize(472,576,1/3,1/3,0,2,768,572)

should be

BicubicResize(472,576,1./3.,1./3.,0,2,768,572)

since (int 1)/(int 3) is rounded to 0.

Last edited by Wilbert; 12th November 2005 at 17:21.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 19:08   #8  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Hi Wilbert,

yep, beta increased to v 0.30b including many additions.
Thanks for your hints, beside some bugs you mentioned are already fixed, your other remarks will be implementated.

I updated the first announcing post to the latest infos/links/changelog.

The next version will support mp4,mkv,wmv etc as input too.

Quote:
PAL: ATI's Rage Theater chip twice listed. It should have a capture window of 52.22 µs.
Updatet

Quote:
NTSC: ATI's Theater 200 chip - 52.15 µs.
Did I miss that one in the off. doom9 capt.cards list?

Quote:
NTSC: ATI's Rage Theater chip - 52.96 µs.
0.30 gots that value already ...

Updates will be available in the next version

Last edited by Inc; 12th November 2005 at 19:16.
Old 12th November 2005, 21:45   #9  |  Link
IceM

Verry verry verry welcoming application, tnx allot!
Good GUI, working fast, exactly what i need.

Much tnx man!
IceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2005, 22:07   #10  |  Link
danpos
BDVD Team

@Andrej

THX for the upgrade, Andrej ! I already downloaded it.

Cya!
danpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 05:31   #11  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Ok, I'm a dummy, because I can't figure this out

Here's what my scripts normally look like:
Code:
AviSource("tv-sports-720x480.avi")
# edits, audio adjustments, AssumeTFF/BFF, etc.
Crop(0,2,0,-46, align=true)   # mod 8 for filters
# mvbob
# denoising as needed to save bitrate
Crop(0,0,0,-2, align=true)
LimitedSharpen(dest_x = 640, dest_y = 304, ss_x = 1.8, ss_y = 1.7, soft=false)
# histogram, levels, gamma, etc.
return xxx
I then need to calculate the SAR to tell x264. In this example, it would about 8/11...I think...aspect ratios make my head hurt.

As far as I can tell, this program can help find the crops I want without having to load VDub and play with null transform (annoying). Can it also calculate the SAR?
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 06:28   #12  |  Link
LocalH

Very nice. I do have one feature request: would it be too hard to allow the user to input a custom source PAR and DAR? For example, I am working with NES emulator output destined for DVD, and I need to confirm my frame size calculations (I'm using a width of 650 for the image, padded to 720, and I recently learned that the NES PAR is 40:33, so I want to calculate and make sure I get the right width).
LocalH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 10:04   #13  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Quote:
AviSource("tv-sports-720x480.avi")
# edits, audio adjustments, AssumeTFF/BFF, etc.
Crop(0,2,0,-46, align=true) # mod 8 for filters
# mvbob
# denoising as needed to save bitrate
Crop(0,0,0,-2, align=true)
This part will be calculated within Paranoia, even a bobbed filtering is possible when checking the "fieldbased Resizing" checkbox.

Quote:
I then need to calculate the SAR to tell x264. In this example, it would about 8/11
It depends on the Target you choosed! If the Target is mpeg4 then the Appl. calculates a Par 1:1 Output. So SAR also will be 1 or 1:1.

If you wanna keep the full vertical resolution by keeping the incoming PAR for TV Purposes like played back via a HTPC then 720x480 is PAR "4320/4739"! not 8/11

720*(8/11) = 523,6363636364 ... *ough* far away from 640!
720*(4320/4739) = 656,3410002 ok, thats much closer and also correct as it will be cropped to 648px equal width samples on your TV later as 720 gots 711 active px inside at ntsc.

Quote:
aspect ratios make my head hurt
Easy:
Aspectratio is the image proportion result out of the digital imagesize treaten by the width adjust (squeezing/expanding) using the needed PAR.

In case of PAL 702x576 is 4:3 ... 702/576 = 1,21875 isn't 4:3 BUT if doing the calculation by using the needed PAR (used by the TV) the Proportion results right:
(702*PAL_PAR)/576 = (702*(128/117))/576 = 1,3333333333 = 4:3

Last edited by Inc; 16th November 2005 at 10:58.
Old 16th November 2005, 11:08   #14  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalH
Very nice. I do have one feature request: would it be too hard to allow the user to input a custom source PAR and DAR? For example, I am working with NES emulator output destined for DVD, and I need to confirm my frame size calculations (I'm using a width of 650 for the image, padded to 720, and I recently learned that the NES PAR is 40:33, so I want to calculate and make sure I get the right width).
Hmmmm...
The correct PAR is calculated beside other things out of the incoming active width used by the Card/Driver when the capture has been digitized.
Standard D1 ITU would be 53,333µs which is exactly 720 for DVD purposes.
If your software expects a diff. PAR then a) it will manipulate the input during mastering or b) it will output a wrong 720 or 704 DVD target active area!

There are MANY popular softwares which do calculate the image size in a wrong way. Adobe for example uses for D1 a "generic" Aspectratio, thats the case in Photoshop and imho in Aftereffects.
So do generate a cricle in Photoshop using the D1 PixelAspectRatio Template and a 720x576 Image, do author a DVD from it and measure the circles proportion finally on the TV, the result will be a circle which will have a wider width using a factor of 720/702.

How to fix that? Do uncheck the ITUcheckbox in paranoia to fix such inputs.
Old 16th November 2005, 19:06   #15  |  Link
LocalH

Well, the video I'm working with is just a raw lossless 256x240 output, and I know for a fact that the PAR of a real NES is 40:33. DAR of this file doesn't matter, but would basically be 4:3 with padding added after resizing for the proper PAR. Yet, when I load it, it treats it as 1:1 PAR, and I have no way to change it. The only line time I care about is the one you listed, standard D1 at 53.333µs, since my material is destined for DVD.
LocalH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 20:42   #16  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Quote:
This part will be calculated within Paranoia, even a bobbed filtering is possible when checking the "fieldbased Resizing" checkbox.
So I can have it calculate the mod8 and then the final crop for me? How?

Quote:
If you wanna keep the full vertical resolution...
I'm discarding some vertical resolution, obviously. When you bob a high-motion clip, much of the vertical rez is interpolated anyway. Thus I think it's a fair compromise to resize 428 lines -> 304 so that I can have a smooth 60fps encode without insane bitrate.

original aspect ratio: 720/428 * 4320/4739 = 1.534

encoded aspect ratio: 640/304 * 8/11 = 1.531

Pretty close. 1:1 would be way off; more importantly, it looks bad.
Old 16th November 2005, 23:48   #17  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

BTW, a bug: if PARanoia is unable to open the video (e.g. no codec), it gives you 1 message box for every frame in the clip. No way to stop it except kill the process.
Old 17th November 2005, 10:31   #18  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Hi Richard,

Which Message is shown if no codec is present? So I can fix that "if" checking routine in the code.

"720/428 * 4320/4739 = 1.534" should be calculated as (720*(4320/4739)) / 428 = 1,5335070098 ... the result is the same, but for understanding the PAR thing it would be better doing it like that

In your Calcs .... what is your target? What did you choose? mpeg4 PAR1:1 ? Which final size?
I assume your import is an AVI file, so did you set the CaptureCard Settings the right one?
Maybe you could host a little sample of your source, so I can do duplicate your approach.

Thanks for reporting the bugs
Old 17th November 2005, 18:57   #19  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

The message is "No avi imagedata could be received!". An easy way to test is install ffdshow, then go to VFW config -> codecs -> set your file's fourcc to Disabled.

I don't have a specific target. I've experimented a lot, trying to find a workable compromise between:
- smooth motion
- sharp picture
- playable on reasonably modern machines
- not too huge

The best combo I've come up with so far is 60fps bob w/ some vertical rez reduction, encoded with x264 @ 2000kbps. I don't know what PARanoia settings that corresponds to since I'm not very familiar with it yet.

My capture card uses the NEC D64083 chip. I don't have a standalone DVD player to calibrate it with, so I've just been guessing that it's a 53.333 active window.

I'm uploading a 15sec sample to the temp space in my signature. (compressed @ xvid quant2, ~25MB)
Old 17th November 2005, 20:07   #20  |  Link
Inc
Squeeze it!

Thanks for naming the error, I just needed it to see at which routine the Appl. "loops" in its errormess. as I gave every procedure an internal check using a sensuful but individual mess. as output if something gets messed up.

Your Link is very useful as I do see they do refer to a y/c separation unit when talking about the NEC D64083 chip.
The most imortant is listed more below in the Link.
Quote:
Key features

* PHILIPS SSA7133/4HL video and audio broadcast decoder
So I do really guess your card in combination with its driver does output an active window of 52,14815µs which could mean when capping at 720 will result in a wrong AR/PAR.
Could it be that THIS is the reason why it "looks bad" as you stated some posts above?

Regarding your better experiences by reducing the vertical pixel information. Thats also possible by entering the Active Pixel Area gadgets (upndown) but you might already know that.