Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th August 2010, 18:27   #5601  |  Link
nurbs

I can't check right now, but my guess is that profile produces blu-ray compatible output if the resolution and framerate matches. (If the --nal-hrd switch is used and keyint is set to 24 my assumption is probably correct.) If you just want stuff that's generally compatible with DXVA and hardware players use the dxva profile (HD in your case).

New versions of mkvmergegui have header removal compression on by default which causes issues with hardware players and some software. If you use the mkv muxer in the latest megui version it will be deactivated so you should't have issues. You can also deactivate it in mkvmergegui, but you'll have to do it for each track individually.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 18:47   #5602  |  Link
Carpo

Thanks for that Nurbs, what is a good CQ figure for HD stuff? is the default 20 a good starting point or will it differ from movie to movie
Old 12th August 2010, 19:08   #5603  |  Link
nurbs

Personally I use 20 for SD (from DVD) and 21 for HD (like you I also resize my blu-rays to 720p). You should test it for yourself because it really comes down to personal preference. I basically encoded some samples at different CRF values after I decided on preset (veryslow with AQ mode 2) and tuning (film or animation). Then I decided which value was still acceptable to me and subtracted 1 to be on the safe side.

As a note: None of my 720p encodes which usually include 2 or 3 stereo audio tracks came out larger than 4 GB.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:04   #5604  |  Link
Carpo

Mine are going to come out large as im keeping the DTS which i down graded from DTS-HD, am testing CQ 20 and CQ 21 on avatar , at the moment CQ 20 is saying about 3.4GB so shouldn't be much more than 4GB, will see which i think looks good to my eyes and then let her rip

Edit: may have to rethink the DTS - some of the files are near enough the same size as the video :-p

Last edited by Carpo; 12th August 2010 at 20:54.
Carpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 06:37   #5605  |  Link
invy

Can someone tell me how to force One-Click encode to use FIELD DEINTERLACE by default instead of YADIF? I'm too stupid for this... thank you.
invy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 09:22   #5606  |  Link
AMED

1. Click one click encoder
2. Click config on the OneClick profile
3. Click Config on the avisynth profile
4. Overwrite the <deinterlace> line with the deinterlacer you would like you use, once done click new and create a new AviSynth preset. Then click OK
5. Make sure that the AviSynth profile you have just created is selected on the OneClick config dialog window. unselect automatic deinterlacing. configure the video and audio presets as you need. Click new down the bottom and name the OneClick conf then click ok to close the OneClick.
6. Make sure the new OneClick profile to created is selected and start queuing jobs.

Hopefully make sense been drinking and soon to be smoking
Old 13th August 2010, 12:27   #5607  |  Link
nurbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
Edit: may have to rethink the DTS - some of the files are near enough the same size as the video :-p
You should think about using AC3 with 448 or 640 kbps. The latter is about the same quality as DTS at 1.5 Mbps and the former is not much worse. AC3 has very good hardware support as well.
With AAC you could use around 320 kbps for good quality, but AAC support for 5.1 tracks is not that good. Some devices downmix it to stereo and most don't support bitstreaming from what I've heard. I only use stereo so AAC is an obvious choice for me.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:39   #5608  |  Link
invy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMED View Post
1. Click one click encoder
2. Click config on the OneClick profile
3. Click Config on the avisynth profile
4. Overwrite the <deinterlace> line with the deinterlacer you would like you use, once done click new and create a new AviSynth preset. Then click OK
5. Make sure that the AviSynth profile you have just created is selected on the OneClick config dialog window. unselect automatic deinterlacing. configure the video and audio presets as you need. Click new down the bottom and name the OneClick conf then click ok to close the OneClick.
6. Make sure the new OneClick profile to created is selected and start queuing jobs.

Hopefully make sense been drinking and soon to be smoking
Spank you very much... although I don't exactly understand #4. Am I suppose to put the path to the deinterlacer? Example: LoadPlugin("C:\Path\MeGUI_0.3.5\tools\yadif\yadif.dll") ?

Also, I'm not sure but is the FieldDeinterlacer the decomb.dll one?

Last edited by invy; 13th August 2010 at 12:41. Reason: added quoted text
invy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 19:02   #5609  |  Link
Carpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
You should think about using AC3 with 448 or 640 kbps. The latter is about the same quality as DTS at 1.5 Mbps and the former is not much worse. AC3 has very good hardware support as well.
With AAC you could use around 320 kbps for good quality, but AAC support for 5.1 tracks is not that good. Some devices downmix it to stereo and most don't support bitstreaming from what I've heard. I only use stereo so AAC is an obvious choice for me.

I re-encoded the DTS to 768 and its still 800meg+ glad i also ripped the ac3 audio along with the AC3 ;-) even at 448kbps they may be big but not as big as the DTS, so like you say i should go with that
Old 13th August 2010, 23:28   #5610  |  Link
AMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by invy View Post
Spank you very much... although I don't exactly understand #4. Am I suppose to put the path to the deinterlacer? Example: LoadPlugin("C:\Path\MeGUI_0.3.5\tools\yadif\yadif.dll") ?

Also, I'm not sure but is the FieldDeinterlacer the decomb.dll one?
yeah you need the LoadPlugin bit and deinterlacers parameters.
eg for loading yadif i would replace <deinterlace> with
Code:
Load_Stdcall_Plugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\yadif\yadif.dll")
Yadif(order=1)
or if i wanted to use tdeint is would replace <deinterlace> with
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\MeGUI\tools\avisynth_plugin\TDeint.dll")
TDeint(order=1)
you can pretty much copy and paste from the AviSynth script creator or you could just create a profile in the avisynth creator save it and use it in step 5.

Last edited by AMED; 13th August 2010 at 23:43.
AMED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 02:08   #5611  |  Link
lubczyk

Is there a way to pause encodes, shut down the computer and continue where one left off later?

This functionality would be really useful for me. When strong thunderstorms come around, I like to turn off and unplug my electronics.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 02:48   #5612  |  Link
stax76

@lubczyk

Not possible but you could standby/hibernate the OS and use a power strip with surge protection.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 02:52   #5613  |  Link
mariush

Try installing VirtualBox and run x264 inside the emulated operated system.... I don't know how fast x264 would run but other things run pretty fast on my emulated machine (virtualization capable cpu sure helps)

You can then just suspend the whole virtual machine to disk.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 03:03   #5614  |  Link
stax76

I'm skeptical but worth a try.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 16:05   #5615  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
I searched the thread for an answer but didn't find one. Basically the encoder is blowing up after it's done which, on multiple passes, never gets to the nth pass. I ran the command line and this is what I got (which explained the error in the log):

I tried setting the executables to run as Administrator and to Win XP Sp3 compatibility mode without success. I also ran the command line as administrator with no success. Any ideas? Thank you.

I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 bit
Okay, I've gone back and cleaned up my system and even followed the instructions here: http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page1.html.

Am still getting this damn message. Can anyone please provide some help on this? I don't know what else to do. Thank you.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:36   #5616  |  Link
Pringles

Is MeGUI able to re encode a mkv x264 file into another one? Because when I'm trying to import my mkv file into the File Indexer, the File Indexer either crashes (dgavcindex.exe is not responding blablabla, when there is audio in the video) or seems idle as it doesn't seem to work on my file. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 17:50   #5617  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
Is MeGUI able to re encode a mkv x264 file into another one? Because when I'm trying to import my mkv file into the File Indexer, the File Indexer either crashes (dgavcindex.exe is not responding blablabla, when there is audio in the video) or seems idle as it doesn't seem to work on my file. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
If you're using 0.3.5.0, use ffmsindex to index the file.
An alternative would be to open the .mkv with avs script creator.
Lighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 17:53   #5618  |  Link
Shevek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighto View Post
Or to use the HD Stream Extractor to extract the audio and video to process independently.
Shevek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 18:36   #5619  |  Link
Zathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post
Okay, I've gone back and cleaned up my system and even followed the instructions here: http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page1.html.

Am still getting this damn message. Can anyone please provide some help on this? I don't know what else to do. Thank you.
Which build of MeGUI and which of x264 are you using? If you have updated the x264.exe and x264_64.exe manually you need also to update the other two files (vfw4x264.exe/avs4x264.exe) or it will crash. This package has included the recent x264 builds and the wrapper: http://megui.org/auto/x264-1698-1.zip

As I understand you you have tried to run the command line directly. Are there any errors shown on the command line?

You can try to replace the vfw4x264.exe with avs4x264.exe in your command line. Does it still crash?
Zathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 20:24   #5620  |  Link
Pringles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighto View Post
Thanks a lot, it's working
Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
megui