Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th January 2012, 04:16   #7861  |  Link
clsid

I am not a fan of the Loudness Equalization feature of Win7. I prefer controlling volume just for video playback. Everything else is already loud enough.

A mixer is already on Nev's ToDo list. Hopefully that will include an option to apply a gain to the center channel when downmixing. That is one way to solve the volume issue. Another would be a simple normalization option like in ffdshow.
Old 5th January 2012, 04:27   #7862  |  Link
Superb

I'm not a fan of it either, but it's a temporary workaround.
Does ffdshow apply a gain to the center channel automatically (when using its mixer w/ the 2.0 preset)? That would explain why people say they had a higher volume w/ it (than the Windows built-in mixer).
Note: they didn't turn on normalization in ffdshow. The higher volume was "out-of-the-box" after choosing 2.0 channel mixer in the installer.

EDIT:
Until a custom built-in mixer will be available in LAV Audio... Maybe it would be possible to control the Windows mixer a bit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms678838.aspx (the SetLevel method inherited from IPerChannelDbLevel)

Last edited by Superb; 5th January 2012 at 04:37.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 04:58   #7863  |  Link
Midzuki
Unavailable

Another possible "temporary workaround": AC3Filter

( I'm assuming it works properly on Windows 7, on my Vista-64 notebook it works very well )
Midzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 05:13   #7864  |  Link
Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
Another possible "temporary workaround": AC3Filter

( I'm assuming it works properly on Windows 7, on my Vista-64 notebook it works very well )
It does work. And so does ffdshow. But I rather have the least number of filters in my chain, don't you?
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 07:12   #7865  |  Link
dead_screem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its a bug in the driver, seems to have appeared a while ago. You could try different drivers, otherwise there isn't anything that can be done.
258.96 is the last ver to work right. And I think its actually hardware deinterlacing related. cause if i set CUVID to weave with newer drivers the blocking goes away.
dead_screem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 07:45   #7866  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_screem View Post
258.96 is the last ver to work right. And I think its actually hardware deinterlacing related. cause if i set CUVID to weave with newer drivers the blocking goes away.
It still is somehow related to partial acceleration, because it doesn't happen on cards with full acceleration capabilities. It might just be coincidence and depend on the series of the card, but somewhere is another factor in there.
Old 5th January 2012, 07:47   #7867  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
(If I'm not wrong) Notice that you can't use QuickSync if you use a ATI or NVidia card. I don't know if it's an Intel imitation, or if it's Egur's one.
Like others already said, you need the GPU to be active.
There are several ways to fake that, the most useful being the "fake" VGA monitor which you can just trick Windows into using.

I think it was also linked before, but so everyone sees it, here its again:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...86#post1532786

Another general limitation is that the decoder only works on Vista/7, but thats a limitation in Intels drivers and i doubt it'll ever change. So, no XP love for you!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th January 2012 at 11:45.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 13:12   #7868  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Eh, the fake screen trick seems to work. Will report my findings later. For now, it looks very promising: same power consumption as DXVA
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 13:18   #7869  |  Link
magilvia

Hi folks, I'd like to report a possible bug with lav splitter and the lord of the ring italian blu-ray extended edition. All my others blu-ray plays flawlessly but with these ones the audio tracks are not recognized correctly. LAV recognizes 6 tracks in the stream, see the image attached: the first (english eac3 mono) according to the package specs, should be DTS-HD 6.1 and crashes MPC if selected. The second (italian ac3 stereo) should be DTS-HD 6.1 too but outputs no audio if selected. The others are commentary and work good.
Power dvd recognizes 6 audio tracks too, english,italian,4x english and works good with each one.
Media info report attached (doesn't make much sense to me too)

Thank you very much for your hard work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip LOTR-italian BR extended.zip (93.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: txt LOTR-italian BR extended mediainfo.txt (19.5 KB, 21 views)
magilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 13:20   #7870  |  Link
betaking
Fantasy Codecs writer

to:nevcairiel i Compiling last lav but i can not see IntelQuickSyncDecoder.dll ?
i not install intel media sdk !but comp ffdshow i can Comp IntelQuickSyncDecoder.dll! do i need install last intel media sdk beta?

Last edited by betaking; 5th January 2012 at 13:57.
betaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 13:42   #7871  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

If I load LAVSplitter.ax in MPC-HC as an external filter (using Browse) without it actually being registered, I've occasionally been getting crashes in MPC-HC citing avformat-lav-53.dll when opening a new video. No idea if this is a MPC-HC bug or a LAV bug, but even though this is non-standard usage, I'd be nice if it worked reliably.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 13:44   #7872  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

That mode is somewhat unstable in MPC-HC for filters that rely on external dlls, i tried to fix it some time ago, but it never worked 100%. Its a MPC-HC bug. Register the filters already.
Old 5th January 2012, 13:46   #7873  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magilvia View Post
Hi folks, I'd like to report a possible bug with lav splitter and the lord of the ring italian blu-ray extended edition. All my others blu-ray plays flawlessly but with these ones the audio tracks are not recognized correctly. LAV recognizes 6 tracks in the stream, see the image attached: the first (english eac3 mono) according to the package specs, should be DTS-HD 6.1 and crashes MPC if selected. The second (italian ac3 stereo) should be DTS-HD 6.1 too but outputs no audio if selected. The others are commentary and work good.
Power dvd recognizes 6 audio tracks too, english,italian,4x english and works good with each one.
Media info report attached (doesn't make much sense to me too)

Thank you very much for your hard work.
I would need a short sample from the m2ts file on the disc (maybe 20-30mb), otherwise there isn't anything i can do.
Use a tool like DGSplit to cut the first few MB off, and then upload it to mediafire or multiupload.
Old 5th January 2012, 13:50   #7874  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Register the filters already.
Does LAV Filters backup and revert the Media Type registry settings to their previous values on unreg, uninstall, and when unselecting a format?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 5th January 2012 at 14:20.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:00   #7875  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

AFAIK, DTS-HD, DTS-ES 6.1/6.0 requires ArcSoft DTS Decoder v.1.1.0.0. 7 & 8 have troubles with 6.1.

Last edited by Qaq; 5th January 2012 at 14:03.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 14:04   #7876  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Does LAV Filters backup and revert the Media Type registry settings to their previous values on unreg, uninstall, or when unselecting a format?
It reverts them to defaults on uninstall, not the previous value. This only applies to the installer, unregistering does no magic.
Unselecting through the filter properties does nothing to media types, because its not running with elevated access.

I've been pondering on removing all sorts of media type handling from the DLL and let only the installer do it, that way it would seem more consistent (and only registering the filter would not do "harm", because it wouldn't touch anything)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
AFAIK, DTS-HD, DTS-ES 6.1/6.0 requires ArcSoft DTS Decoder v.1.1.0.0. 7 & 8 have troubles with 6.1.
.8 at least works perfectly fine with 6.1, only 6.0 is broken (by broken i mean you only get 5.0 instead of 6.0). I've never seen anything use a 6.0 track, though.
Also, that only applies to decoding of course, the issue reported above seems to be an issue with identifying the streams in LAV Splitter, long before decoding happens.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th January 2012 at 14:07.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:21   #7877  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb View Post
Proposed solution: make the installer check for the availability of CUDA (and now QS as well) and choose it automatically on such systems.
Somehow i expect users to at least know what kind of video card they have. Hey, even if not, when selecting the option in the GUI it checks for availability and tells the user - if they leave the option on anyway, not my fault.
I can probably make the software fallback process a bit faster, though.

One of these days i will need to make the installer smarter, however duplicating the compat checks in the installer is somewhat annoying.
If the auto-select process is fast enough i might add an "Auto" option that probes and selects the appropriate HW decoder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaking View Post
to:nevcairiel i Compiling last lav but i can not see IntelQuickSyncDecoder.dll ?
I do not see a point in duplicating the code in my repository. If you want to build it, get the code from the official repository at http://sourceforge.net/projects/qsdecoder/

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th January 2012 at 14:29.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:28   #7878  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
It reverts them to defaults on uninstall, not the previous value. This only applies to the installer, unregistering does no magic.
Unselecting through the filter properties does nothing to media types, because its not running with elevated access.

I've been pondering on removing all sorts of media type handling from the DLL and let only the installer do it, that way it would seem more consistent (and only registering the filter would not do "harm", because it wouldn't touch anything)
If you removed the media type handling from the DLL, that may be helpful. Isn't it possible to add optional install switches to be used with regsvr32? That may let you have it both ways.

My main concern with installing splitters which support a lot of formats like LAV, is their tendency to break the Media Type registry settings for most other installed splitters/source-filters, including windows default splitters/source-filters which use quartz.dll and are unable to be easily re-registered, and even when you don't want to use the splitter you just installed for those formats.

Currently I'm forced to backup my registry key each time I install/test a new splitter so my system doesn't get left in a completely broken state if I choose the disable/uninstall at some point. This gets rather annoying, which is why the MPC-HC feature to use external filters without installing/registering is handy, it it was working reliably.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 5th January 2012 at 14:33.
Old 5th January 2012, 14:31   #7879  |  Link
betaking
Fantasy Codecs writer

Quote:
Somehow i expect users to at least know what kind of video card they have. Hey, even if not, when selecting the option in the GUI it checks for availability and tells the user - if they leave the option on anyway, not my fault.
I can probably make the software fallback process a bit faster, though.

One of these days i will need to make the installer smarter, however duplicating the compat checks in the installer is somewhat annoying.
If the auto-select process is fast enough i might add an "Auto" option that probes and selects the appropriate HW decoder.

I do not see a point in duplicating the code in my repository. If you want to build it, get the code from the official repository at http://sourceforge.net/projects/qsdecoder/
OK!big thanks!
betaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 14:49   #7880  |  Link
Budtz

I am using lav audio and also reclock. If I play a dolby digital 5.1 file or a dts 5.1 file, I get dolby digital 5.1 wich is fine. If I play dts-es file however, I dont get digital surround but just dolby pro logic. Is there anything I can do to make my setup work with dts-es or 6.1 surround files?
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter