Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Closed Thread

Old 7th July 2011, 22:47   #761  |  Link
-Vit-

Overdrive: As Revgen has said, there are other scripts used for undoing such conversions (together with deinterlacing). I really don't want QTGMC to become some kind of general purpose conversion script, sorry.
____

bob6779: Very complex settings. Probably too complex. There are some interactions there that you likely don't want. For example sharpness limiting (especially temporal) will tend to remove the rather subtle results of source match. SourceMatch=3 is probably overkill. The GrainRestore value looks very high (for NoiseProcess=2) and is probably strengthening grain, although the TR2=3 setting is counteracting that to some degree. Have you tried the more straightforward EZKeepGrain setting together with NoisePreset instead of all those noise settings? That together with source match and sharpness tweaking usually gets most detail.
____

Mini-Me: Your script worked for me on a random video. It might be the hpad/vpad issue. QTGMC sets hpad/vpad in the super clip to work around a bug in MVTools 2.5.11.1 and earlier. The values set depend on resolution and may not be 8, the default. Same values must be used in your subsequent MSuper call. This requirement will be lifted in the next version. You can calculate and use the same values (see QTGMC script at line noted below), or since you are using the latest MVTools you could edit QTGMC itself (don't want to release a new version just for this):
- Around line 340, find 4 lines dealing with hpad/vpad
- Delete them and replace with:
Code:
hpad=8
vpad=8
Maybe that will fix your problem. Also watch the pel value used for the super clip, must also match what QTGMC used. It's safer to explicitly set Subpel=X in the QTGMC call to match what you use later since it varies by preset

Last edited by -Vit-; 7th July 2011 at 23:08.
Old 7th July 2011, 23:57   #762  |  Link
Mini-Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vit- View Post
Mini-Me: Your script worked for me on a random video. It might be the hpad/vpad issue. QTGMC sets hpad/vpad in the super clip to work around a bug in MVTools 2.5.11.1 and earlier. The values set depend on resolution and may not be 8, the default. Same values must be used in your subsequent MSuper call. This requirement will be lifted in the next version. You can calculate and use the same values (see QTGMC script at line noted below), or since you are using the latest MVTools you could edit QTGMC itself (don't want to release a new version just for this):
- Around line 340, find 4 lines dealing with hpad/vpad
- Delete them and replace with:
Code:
hpad=8
vpad=8
Maybe that will fix your problem. Also watch the pel value used for the super clip, must also match what QTGMC used. It's safer to explicitly set Subpel=X in the QTGMC call to match what you use later since it varies by preset
Updating the lines in QTGMC did indeed fix the problem, so the crashes must have come from the mismatch between my MSuper and the one used to create the motion vectors. Thank you!
Old 8th July 2011, 10:37   #763  |  Link
bob6779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
Instead of SLmode=1 (spatial), try SLMode=2 (temporal) with SLrad=3.

It (might) bring up ghosting problems again, but potentially should help with the roof strobings.
Tried, but it didn't seem to make much of an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive80 View Post
Not recommended to crop after the deinterlacing?
Thanks for the tip .

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vit- View Post
bob6779: Very complex settings. Probably too complex. There are some interactions there that you likely don't want. For example sharpness limiting (especially temporal) will tend to remove the rather subtle results of source match. SourceMatch=3 is probably overkill. The GrainRestore value looks very high (for NoiseProcess=2) and is probably strengthening grain, although the TR2=3 setting is counteracting that to some degree. Have you tried the more straightforward EZKeepGrain setting together with NoisePreset instead of all those noise settings? That together with source match and sharpness tweaking usually gets most detail.
Thanks for the hints. I'm trying ezkeepgrain and noisepreset now, but it's going too slow. Will get back once it's done.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:57   #764  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

Having some difficulty with the speed of QTGMC. I've used QTGMC for awhile now but recently something happened with megui/avisynth or something that affected the two. Anyways, I had to reinstall avisynth and megui and start all over from scratch. This wouldn't be a problem except that QTGMC isn't as fast as it was prior to my problems. I used to get very close to real time (a frame or two less) on the first pass and just slightly over half the fps using QTGMC (an i7 920 helps haha). ALL of my settings are exactly the same now that I've had to reinstall avisynth/megui but I'm getting NOWHERE close to what I was getting. I had to change my current settings to FASTER to get just 15 fps now. So, I'm wondering, am I using an MT version that isn't the same as my last? Is there something else it could be? My directories haven't changed, hardware hasn't changed. I can't think of anything else that's changed and could be making such a significant difference in speed other than my avisynth/wrong plugin versions used for QTGMC . Any help is appreciated

Win7
Megui 2028
QTGMC script 3.32
Downloaded and used the modified plugins package via the qtgmc thread
Fully interlaced material kept original fr rate
EXACT same settings (both qtgmc AND x264). I know because I've used them so much and made my own personal changes to the settings. QTGMC settings are basically default settings.
Avisynth 258 MT
My CPU usage seems to fluctuate a bit more using this setup. It used to stay pretty much at 99%. It's odd now though. If I use "FASTER" I get full CPU usage as I used to but if I use "MEDIUM" it hovers around 90. Don't know if that's useful but it seems to me it could be.

edit: would reverting to 3.25 possibly be one/a solution? Also, looking at my program files I do somewhat remember having both 2.5 and 2.6 avs installed.

Last edited by rtjnyoface; 8th July 2011 at 11:10.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:22   #765  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjnyoface View Post
So, I'm wondering, am I using an MT version that isn't the same as my last?
Also, looking at my program files I do somewhat remember having both 2.5 and 2.6 avs installed.
We are not psychic so we don't know which version(s) you have installed or which DLL is actually being used.

Just check the file properties of your avisynth.dll in the system32 directory (or wherever it's located on Win7).

Edit: Even better - Create a small script with just this line:
Code:
Version()
and run it in your media player and tell us what it displays.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 8th July 2011 at 11:25.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:24   #766  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

Alright. I followed the instructions in the modified plugins zip.

Changes:
- I started out getting 16 fps with full cpu usage and then for some reason it gradually went down...and down....and down to now less than 4 and still dropping (is it going to get to 0?). CPU usage at ~15% with a max of 3 threads being used.

What in the world is going on here? Attached is a picture of megui's status window, my cpu usage, and a picture of my trash can to show which files were deleted after following the instructions in the zip file. I just replaced what was there (even if it was the same file)

Whew....hope we can clear this up.
Attached Images

Last edited by rtjnyoface; 8th July 2011 at 11:33.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:26   #767  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

I've already listed the dll version. 2585

Ran the script. 2.58 tsp MT version 5 (mod seraphy)

Quote:
We are not psychic so we don't know which version(s) you have installed or which DLL is actually being used.
Of course you don't know. I just thought that since there are so many diff versions that one worked better with qtgmc and I didn't know...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by rtjnyoface; 8th July 2011 at 11:31. Reason: pic
Old 8th July 2011, 11:27   #768  |  Link
Groucho2004

Attachments take days to be approved here. Upload your screen shots somewhere else.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:33   #769  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
I started out getting 16 fps with full cpu usage and then for some reason it gradually went down...and down...
Ha, that's what I experienced with MT versions. Some people have no problems with MT Avisynth, others (like me) never get it to work properly.

Anyway, it would help if you posted your script and the encoder settings.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:36   #770  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

Quote:
# Set DAR in encoder to 4 : 3. The following line is for automatic signalling
global MeGUI_darx = 4
global MeGUI_dary = 3
SetMTMode(5,8)
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\Megui\tools\dgindex\DGDecode.dll")
DGDecode_mpeg2source("D:\FILE LOCATION\VTS_01_1.d2v", info=3)
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\Megui\tools\avisynth_plugin\ColorMatrix.dll")
ColorMatrix(hints=true, threads=0)
SetMTMode(2)
QTGMC( Preset="Medium" )
SelectEven()
#deinterlace
crop( 8, 0, -6, 0)
Lanczos4Resize(704,480) # Lanczos4 (Sharp)
#denoise
Um...I don't know how to access ALL of the x264 settings in one small place (unless you can tell me) so I copied the short megui window.

Quote:
program --preset slower --pass 2 --bitrate 1390 --stats ".stats" --subme 8 --output "output" "input"
I actually use subme 9. Just changed it for the testing I was doing. Ha, that basically give you nothing lol. Sorry
Old 8th July 2011, 11:43   #771  |  Link
Groucho2004

The script looks OK but are you sure that you are using the correct DLLs for QTGMC?

I see in your screen shot a plugin directory called "2.6x Plugins" which is most likely a leftover from your 2.6 installation.

Also, Avisynth 2.5x needs a different version of masktools than 2.6x.

Just make sure that the correct plugins are located in the correct plugin directory.

Edit - It looks like you have about 4 different locations with plugins. Very messy.

Last edited by Groucho2004; 8th July 2011 at 11:46.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:48   #772  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

Quote:
are using the correct DLLs for QTGMC?
Yes, I am now lol . I accidentally added that folder from the qtgmc zip. I just deleted it as you saw.

Quote:
Also, Avisynth 2.5x needs a different version of masktools than 2.6x.
mt_masktools-25.dll is in the plugin directory.

Quote:
Just make sure that the correct plugins are located in the correct plugin directory.
Tis why I cleaned out the folder and started over with the qtgmc zip.

Quote:
Ha, that's what I experienced with MT versions. Some people have no problems with MT Avisynth, others (like me) never get it to work properly.
And what's got me is that I had it working just the way I wanted it to.

4 Different locations? How do you figure that? The picture was from my trash can. All the plugins and such are in the avs folder and the system 32 folder (32b here). If I've got it wrong please let me know. Be the first thing to correct...

Last edited by rtjnyoface; 8th July 2011 at 11:53.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:59   #773  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
mt_masktools-25.dll is in the plugin directory.
Which one?

Quote:
4 Different locations? How do you figure that?
OK, at least three:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Megui\tools\dgindex
C:\Program Files\Megui\tools\avisynth_plugin
<your actual Avisynth plugin folder as referenced in the registry> -> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AviSynth]
Old 8th July 2011, 12:03   #774  |  Link
rtjnyoface
Constantly learning

Quote:
Which one?

Quote:
OK, at least three:
Sorry, I thought megui just referenced the current avs installed in the system. If I remember correctly it didn't used to come with avs and would say so upon installation. I'll uninstall the 2.5 and just go with megui's. Lastly, what's wrong with dgindex? That's the only location of dgindex afaik. Just checked again. Yep, only location.

edit: man, that megui avs directory was a horrible overlook on my part. Geez...

Last edited by rtjnyoface; 8th July 2011 at 12:08.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:15   #775  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
I meant which plugin directory.

Quote:
Sorry, I thought megui just referenced the current avs installed in the system. If I remember correctly it didn't used to come with avs and would say so upon installation. I'll uninstall the 2.5 and just go with megui's. Lastly, what's wrong with dgindex? That's the only location of dgindex afaik. Just checked again. Yep, only location.
I don't know what megui does. I do know that it doesn't install Avisynth so you have to do that yourself.
I was just pointing out that source filters and plugins are loaded from various locations in your script which can be error-prone.

You either load plugins by specifying the path or you use the autoload function. In your case it seems a bit blurry as to what is loaded from where.
Old 8th July 2011, 14:42   #776  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Is MeGUI one of those applications in which you have to add Distributor() as the last line in the script to get MT working?
Old 8th July 2011, 15:55   #777  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
Is MeGUI one of those applications in which you have to add Distributor() as the last line in the script to get MT working?
x264 should take care of that.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:08   #778  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I'm not so sure about that, it's more about the way MeGUI and Avisynth discuss with each other. If MeGUI uses the VfW interface, then Distributor() is not needed because it is automatically called. If it talks to Avisynth directly, the call is needed.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:35   #779  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I'm not so sure about that, it's more about the way MeGUI and Avisynth discuss with each other. If MeGUI uses the VfW interface, then Distributor() is not needed because it is automatically called. If it talks to Avisynth directly, the call is needed.
I'm quite sure that the script is fed directly into x264. Therefore, x264 invokes the "Distributor" call if necessary:

Code:
if( !strcasecmp( filename_ext, "avs" ) )
    {
        res = h->func.avs_invoke( h->env, "Import", arg, NULL );
        FAIL_IF_ERROR( avs_is_error( res ), "%s\n", avs_as_string( res ) )
        /* check if the user is using a multi-threaded script and apply distributor if necessary.
           adapted from avisynth's vfw interface */
        AVS_Value mt_test = h->func.avs_invoke( h->env, "GetMTMode", avs_new_value_bool( 0 ), NULL );
        int mt_mode = avs_is_int( mt_test ) ? avs_as_int( mt_test ) : 0;
        h->func.avs_release_value( mt_test );
        if( mt_mode > 0 && mt_mode < 5 )
        {
            AVS_Value temp = h->func.avs_invoke( h->env, "Distributor", res, NULL );
            h->func.avs_release_value( res );
            res = temp;
        }
    }
Old 8th July 2011, 17:30   #780  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Hehe, that's clever
Closed Thread