Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 29th October 2005, 00:39   #21  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Zeppelin
It's a Sony disc so guess what? ARccOS is involved.
No. I agree with cynthia in this post.
Old 29th October 2005, 01:02   #22  |  Link
setarip_old

@2COOL

Hi!

The thread you've provided a link to appears to be about copying two DVDs that have no copy protection - one of which appears to be a previously made copy.

How does this relate to backing up purchased versions of the "Bewitched" DVD? Or SONY movies in general?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 19:18   #23  |  Link
coledog

Is there more detailed guide/link for the new Sony issue? I'm having problems with Lords of Dogtown.
coledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2005, 20:28   #24  |  Link
tjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old
Just to provide you with a bit more information as to why I asked what version you have - As was noted regarding the Region 1 "Lords of Dogtown", not only were there two different versions for PURCHASE (with two different ARccOS protection schemes), the two versions available for RENTAL (with two different ARccOS protection schemes), had different ARccOS copy protection schemes than did the two versions available for PURCHASE.

This could very well be the same situation regarding "Bewitched"...
This could be the problem, I guess short of learning exactly how to create PSL2's myself (which I am in the process of gathering all info I can find regarding) I am out of luck if I want to back-up my DVD's. I
back-up to protect the orginals not to mention I have a DVD player that some of my orginals will not play, only the back-ups, strange huh?

Sure wish someone or some forum group would create and post a guide for creating PSL and PSL2 files!

Last edited by tjones; 29th October 2005 at 22:54.
tjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 01:36   #25  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
This could be the problem
Why do you say this?
Quote:
This could be the problem, I guess short of learning exactly how to create PSL2's myself (which I am in the process of gathering all info I can find regarding) I am out of luck if I want to back-up my DVD's.
That's not true. You're not limited to using DVD Decrypter (which is the ONLY program that uses PSL2 files to deal with NEWER SONY ARccOS-copy-protected DVDs), you know. As an alternative you could use (freeware) DVDFab Decrypter (Different than DVD Decrypter), or (commercial software) DVD95Copy...
Old 30th October 2005, 20:26   #26  |  Link
tjones

Quote:
Why do you say this?

That's not true. You're not limited to using DVD Decrypter (which is the ONLY program that uses PSL2 files to deal with NEWER SONY ARccOS-copy-protected DVDs), you know. As an alternative you could use (freeware) DVDFab Decrypter (Different than DVD Decrypter), or (commercial software) DVD95Copy...
I tried the DVD Fab Decrypter it worked fine but when I treid to Shrink version 3.2 I recieved another error message so that did not help. I have spent so much money on commercial softwear, the freeware seems to work just as well, I own DVDXcopy all versions (defuncked now reborn), Nero; and most reciently DVD Clone and the Fox.....shall I mention more ?
Old 30th October 2005, 20:44   #27  |  Link
starscomeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones
I tried the DVD Fab Decrypter it worked fine but when I treid to Shrink version 3.2 I recieved another error message so that did not help. I have spent so much money on commercial softwear, the freeware seems to work just as well, I own DVDXcopy all versions (defuncked now reborn), Nero; and most reciently DVD Clone and the Fox.....shall I mention more ?
The same here, the problems I had:

1. DVD Shrink would give me a copy protected error message right away.
2. DVD DVD Decrypter would stop about 10 percent into it.
3. I was then able to rip the whole DVD using DVDFab to hard drive.
4. Using DVD Shrink again on the movie ripped to hd, I would get the same copy protected error message.
5. I then figured out how to do the PSL2 file and was able to rip the whole movie to hd using DVD Decrypter.
6. I then was able to re-author the ripped movie with DVD Shrink.

I have ripped hundreds of movies and I have never had problems to this extent before.

The only reason I am interested in ripping movies is because I want to place them on my media server and use Meedio as my front-end software to just be able to sit back and scroll through the movies and click and play. I am also in the process setting up media sever clients to all the TVs in my home and I like the idea I can gain access to any movie from any TV.

Don
starscomeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2005, 21:01   #28  |  Link
setarip_old

@tjones

Quote:
the freeware seems to work just as well
Apparently not, from what you've posted...
Old 31st October 2005, 01:54   #29  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Sure wish someone or some forum group would create and post a guide for creating PSL and PSL2 files!
The PSL2 plugin for PgcEdit is the way to go - guide here.

Note - this plugin is under continual development.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 13:37   #30  |  Link
tjones

In 99.9 % of the time the freeware works just as good if not better than softwear I have purchased....
1. I ripped the movie using DVD Decrypter, so that I could create a log file in order to create my own PSL2 file, it is 122 pages long !

Once I complete that task, I will do the same as Don....
I will try blutach suggestion first though, I seek the route with the most ease to complete my task.
Old 31st October 2005, 20:03   #31  |  Link
WarDog

Quote:
Yes !
Did you get the version with the Bewitched TV sampler? If you did then IFO's could be different that's why you are getting the error that the psl is not for this disk.
Also remember that DVDD works best with settings set to default and no ANYDVD or DVD43 running in background especially using PSL2 files.

The above posted PSL2 works because I used it on the the rental I purchased from Blockbuster.
WarDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 20:26   #32  |  Link
setarip_old

@tjones

Quote:
. I ripped the movie using DVD Decrypter, so that I could create a log file in order to create my own PSL2 file, it is 122 pages long !
If you've ripped the DVD using DVD Decrypter set to -0- software read retries and checked "Ignore all read errors", you already have a rip that should be usable with DVD Shrink, DVD95Copy, and perhaps some other similar programs! . Creating a PSL2 file from your laborious task (Similar to what I described in an earlier thread regarding my rip of the "Lords of Dogtown - EC" DVD), will benefit others who have the same version of the DVD that you have, but it won't do anything further for you...
Old 1st November 2005, 04:32   #33  |  Link
tjones

Quote:
@tjones

If you've ripped the DVD using DVD Decrypter set to -0- software read retries and checked "Ignore all read errors", you already have a rip that should be usable with DVD Shrink, DVD95Copy, and perhaps some other similar programs! . Creating a PSL2 file from your laborious task (Similar to what I described in an earlier thread regarding my rip of the "Lords of Dogtown - EC" DVD), will benefit others who have the same version of the DVD that you have, but it won't do anything further for you...
Thanks setarip, I printed the file this at work only 37 pages long. I will try Shrink, I appreciate the help from all if that dont work I will turn off the Any DVD Fox, and try the PSL2 files....Again Thanks!
Old 1st November 2005, 05:32   #34  |  Link
setarip_old

Quote:
Again Thanks!
As always, my pleasure ;>}
Old 1st November 2005, 16:51   #35  |  Link
captain_video

I ripped the rental version of Bewitched that I got from NetFlix using DVDFab Decryptor. I've since tried to process the VIDEO_TS files with DVDFab and VOB Blanker but the result is that the VTS_02_01.VOB file gets truncated to about 454 MB and none of the other VTS_02_0X.VOB files get processed at all. I've tried opening the VOB files in VideoReDo and a couple of other editing programs but they all just choke on the files. I also tried to shrink the DVD using DVD Rebuilder but it errors out in the final stage.

I've already returned the rental disc so I'm wondering if I have any other options to recover the DVD. It's not a major loss if I can't but it's a pain if I have to rent it again and go the PSL2 route. I'm not looking to make an illegal copy of the disc. I just make backups to DVD-RW of the DVDs I rent so I can watch them at my leisure and then reuse the disc for future rentals after it's been watched.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 18:55   #36  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video
I ripped the rental version of Bewitched
Regardless of your intended use of the copied rental disk, it is not Fair Use and is a forum rule #6 violation to ask for help with it.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2005, 20:06   #37  |  Link
captain_video

Here's rule No. 6 that you cited:

6) No warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content! Links to content of a questionable nature, asking for, offering, or asking for help/helping to process such content in any way or form is not tolerated.

The way I see it, I paid to rent the disc (which qualifies as legally obtained since I paid a rental fee to acquire it), which theoretically gives me the right to view it as long as I don't distribute the contents to anyone else. I'd be happy to debate whether or not it falls under fair use or not. I don't see where it's any different than recording a movie from cable or satellite other than it is of higher quality than either DTV or analog transmissions except that there may be some stupid stipulation in the DMCA that says it is (a bad law is still a bad law, but that's not up for discussion, is it?). I won't argue semantics because I realize I'm just a guest here and some people are simply anal about this sort of thing. But thanks for pointing that out for me.

Last edited by captain_video; 1st November 2005 at 20:11.
Old 1st November 2005, 22:57   #38  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

You may find a mod sees things somewhat differently captain_video, particularly since it appears you are in the US where the DMCA reigns supreme.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2005, 01:15   #39  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

illegally obtained copyrighted content!

As a former mod and the person that inspired much of that rule I will submit that the above line is valid here. Since that in the US it has been ruled that you may only copy video's you own. A rental is not considered ownership. It is a temporary licencse to view the material as long as you have the disc.
I hate to point this out, but it clearly isn't semantics. To claim fair use you must own the original at least in most countries. Laws differ by country, but this is the way it is thought of on this board.

You must understand that these rules are meant to protect the owners of this board from potential legal action. Regardless of how we feel about the laws we all want to protect Doom9 from potential issues.

We have already seen Lightning UK get hit hard and others boards get shut down.

Mark
Old 2nd November 2005, 01:32   #40  |  Link
captain_video

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes. Won't happen again.