Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 10th January 2018, 17:55   #48181  |  Link
psyside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
It'll work fine, but you'll probably want to upgrade sooner, 2GB only just gets you by. Will end the discussion here, gone on long enough you have everything you need to know.
Thanks alot my friend! i have got the 750 ti and the 960 on test

Now please help me with the settings :P

Here is what i got at the moment, what i can change for better results in playing of 4K H264 video > downscaled to 1080p?

psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 17:57   #48182  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
HDR still not working properly here with new Nvidia drivers.
Now it doesn't turn on the Windows' HDR toggle, but I'm still not getting the right colors. With my Samsung TV, if I choose the colour space 'native', it gives me something that aproximates what it should look like, but it's not correct. You have to select 'auto' in the colour space option to get the correct HDR colours. With 'auto' it looks 'kinda' washed out, or better described: it looks like SDR. In contrast, the desktop looks super saturated and vibrant with colours. But it must be something about my hardware since nobody seems to have any trouble here. oh well.
Hi, if you manually put windows in HDR mode does you TV switch to HDR automatically? or do you not have a HDR TV and you converting HDR material to SDR using MADVR?
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 18:02   #48183  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyside View Post
Thanks alot my friend! i have got the 750 ti and the 960 on test

Now please help me with the settings :P

Hi, turn off artefact removal completely, you wont need this unless your material is or horrifically bad, this will make a real mess of a 1080p / 4k print, I've only ever used this once or twice ever.
Old 10th January 2018, 18:03   #48184  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
Hi, if you manually put windows in HDR mode does you TV switch to HDR automatically? or do you not have a HDR TV and you converting HDR material to SDR using MADVR?
Yes, it does. I have a HDR10 TV. It's not great (KU7000), but it supports HDR. Watching the same content with the TV player, colours look much better and vibrant.
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 18:04   #48185  |  Link
psyside

Quote:
Hi, turn off artefact removal completely, you wont need this unless your material is or horrifically bad, this will make a real mess of a 1080p / 4k print, I've only ever used this once or twice ever.
I use madVR to watch some of the clips i shot with my S8, does this count or i should still turn it off? since when im into a bit darker parts, there is noise/artefacts, thanks
psyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 18:20   #48186  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmarioman View Post
Yes, it does. I have a HDR10 TV. It's not great (KU7000), but it supports HDR. Watching the same content with the TV player, colours look much better and vibrant.
do you have your TV set in deep colour mode on you PC HDMI port?, is your PC setup as 4:2:0 10 bit, if not drop it into that mode for now as a diagnostic step.

Make sure FSE is off and Direct3D is ticked in MADVR in rendering, you should also set MADVR to passthru for HDR.

might also be worth a clean driver install, I think people have suggested HDR is now fixed with they latest drivers.
Old 10th January 2018, 18:26   #48187  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
I use madVR to watch some of the clips i shot with my S8, does this count or i should still turn it off? since when im into a bit darker parts, there is noise/artefacts, thanks
you can set this up on a key to toggle off and on, set it off by default and turn it on if your clip is very bad i'd say, i'd be suprised if they were that bad though, I have an S8 and my clips are really quite good in SDR and HDR.
Old 10th January 2018, 18:28   #48188  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
This is not true. I.e. many HD sources have banding artefacts ...
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 18:30   #48189  |  Link
Blackwalker

Quote:
Hi, not sure anyone could accurately recommend any card just based on that criteria, its difficult as everyone's machines and requirements are different.

perhaps we should look a this a different way, perhaps Just treat this like we would if we were choosing the card for gaming, just get the fastest 4k capable card we can for the money we have, no more discussion then required

What I mean is they are all capable 4K cards but you get diminishing returns the more money you pump into them, in my opinion so just decide on a budget and stick to it.
i agree but i'm using a 1050 with 2gb and memory is always full
Maybe with high memory i can get better results
i need also to upgrade CPU and motherboard on my htpc, i have a i5 950 with a good asus motherboarth with 6GB of ram.

anyway thx for your reply
Blackwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 18:31   #48190  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
This is not true. I.e. many HD sources have banding artefacts ...
HD streaming rips can be quite bad I know, some movies like snowpiercer also need a bit and where this does clean up the some of the mess it cripples the overall sharpness of the image so I stand by my comments, off by default, on when you feel its required... but try and avoid it.
Old 10th January 2018, 18:35   #48191  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwalker View Post
i agree but i'm using a 1050 with 2gb and memory is always full
Maybe with high memory i can get better results
i need also to upgrade CPU and motherboard on my htpc, i have a i5 950 with a good asus motherboarth with 6GB of ram.

anyway thx for your reply
have a think about what you want to achieve first, I have a much faster system than you but my GFX card is slower, I'm really happy with my picture quality just using NGU sharp medium, you may find after spending a crap load of money and pushing MADVR to the max you dont see that much difference in PQ, is it worth the outlay?

If you play everything well enough with the kit you have and you're not getting dropped frames perhaps just keep what you have.
Old 10th January 2018, 19:33   #48192  |  Link
nekrovski

Quote:
madvr settings
Use lanczos pixel shader instead of cubic.
nekrovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 21:46   #48193  |  Link
yok833

With my GTX 1080, when I try to create a custom resolution for a "23hz" mode in madvr everything works nicely except that it also automatically creates a custom "24hz" mode in the nvidia panel. Unfortunatly, it is not possible to choose 12bit with 24hz in the Nvidia panel so i have no other choice than to stay with 8bit when I want to use madvr custom resolution
Is someone know how to fix this Nvidia bug ?
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 21:49   #48194  |  Link
Vegekou

I have a problem with madVR+MPC—HC64 https://streamable.com/ar0cl Anybody can help me to solve it or it’s just a bug?
Vegekou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 23:28   #48195  |  Link
mclingo

you are playing a 23,976 movie at 60 hz so this is why you are getting frame repeats. if you arent bothered about that and you are reffering to the screen going black intermittently i'm not sure, does your receiver screen or TV suggest there is a hdmi handshake loss?

if you change the renderer back to the standard instead of MADVR does it play normally?
Old 10th January 2018, 23:48   #48196  |  Link
Vegekou

Quote:
you are playing a 23,976 movie at 60 hz so this is why you are getting frame repeats. if you arent bothered about that and you are reffering to the screen going black intermittently i'm not sure, does your receiver screen or TV suggest there is a hdmi handshake loss?

if you change the renderer back to the standard instead of MADVR does it play normally?
I usually don't get dropped frames, except when I move the mouse cursor on the seek bar. In that case I get dropped frames, glitches and the screen goes black intermittently.
I think it's because of the last Intel video driver (23.20.16.4901 - Intel HD 520) but I'm not sure.
All the renders works good except for madVR.
Old 10th January 2018, 23:54   #48197  |  Link
mclingo

yeah sounds like it, drop back to an earlier driver then to test Also, i'd set up madvr up properly, get 1080p23 into display modes in MADVR so it plays the movies at the correct rate.
Old 11th January 2018, 00:38   #48198  |  Link
Vegekou

Quote:
yeah sounds like it, drop back to an earlier driver then to test Also, i'd set up madvr up properly, get 1080p23 into display modes in MADVR so it plays the movies at the correct rate.
Same result with previous driver 23.20.16.4849

EDIT:

It works good with driver:
21.20.16.4550 (11/2016 - from windows update)
22.20.16.4718 (09/2017 - from HP)

Last edited by Vegekou; 11th January 2018 at 02:55.
Old 11th January 2018, 00:44   #48199  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
I think people have suggested HDR is now fixed with they latest drivers.
They are fixed! HDR works perfectly for me now, madVR turns on HDR automatically but Windows' HDR mode doesn't turn on. Ideal.
Old 11th January 2018, 09:32   #48200  |  Link
ShyK

Linear light / gamma correction for upscaling needed

Hi, madshi. madvr currently has two gamma correction problems.

Please consider adding gamma correction / "linear light" to all upscaling modes. It's really a basic thing that should be available for upscaling same as it is available for downscaling.

The Jinc interpolation with the anti-ringing filter is an exceptional solution for natural-looking results with very highly reduced "aliasing" and a relatively very low amount of processing power. The problem is that in upscaling, it's largely ruined by the lack of gamma correction.

For comparison, here are upscaling results with similar, catmull-rom filters:

original image

madvr-x2-catrom-sigmoidal-off
madvr-x2-catrom-sigmoidal-on
imageworsener-x2-catrom

Sigmoidal light even makes the gamma-related "artifacts" worse.

Currently, only NGU has gamma correction for upscaling, so I'm comparing with NGU Soft, luma doubling and chroma "very high", quadrupling disabled.

madvr-x2-ngusoft

This is the same effect as what happens in downscaling, but it's much more disturbing in upscaling, because...it's upscaled. Since ImageWorsener, ImageMagick, GIMP and a few other programs give better results that are similar to each other, then I guess it means madvr just has a different, more "lenient" gamma correction implementation, but it's not better nor as good.

Example with downscaling:
madvr-x0.5-catrom
madvr-x0.5-catrom-nocorrection
imageworsener-x0.5-catrom
imageworsener-x0.5-catrom-nocorrection

Without gamma correction, pretty much identical. With gamma correction, as mentioned above, the "artifacts" are more visible in madvr.

I'll just mention that the problems are not limited to this single image. I've compared using other images, and madvr's gamma correction is always worse. I'm just using this test image because it's the best for easily showcasing the problems. I'm sure you could easily improve the gamma correction and enable it for upscaling as well, and thus make madvr not just the highest quality video renderer, but also the best video and image scaling software available. On that note, I'll just add that a custom width/height box in the screenshots menu would be very useful.
Thanks.

Last edited by ShyK; 11th January 2018 at 09:52.
ShyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling