Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2004, 08:21   #1  |  Link
Rzwen

DVDShrink: Should I choose Title 1 or Title 2? Different Angles?

I'm trying to backup Spirited Away.

I don't need the menus or anything, just the main movie itself to preserve quality. Anyways, DVDShrink analyzes the disk and I go into "reauthor." I get two options: Title 1 and Title 2 (angle 2). Both are the exact same length, except Title 1 is 2 MB larger. When I play them, they seem identical. What exactly is the difference? Why are there two angles/titles?

When I play the original disc using a DVD Player, it seems like angle 2 is selected by default. Switching angles is locked out by default. Does this mean I should save Title 2 (angle 2) instead of Title 1?

What's the point of different angles? Does it have anything to do with the different audio streams: Japanese/English?

Thanks.
Rzwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 09:49   #2  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Re: DVDShrink: Should I choose Title 1 or Title 2? Different Angles?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rzwen
What's the point of different angles? Does it have anything to do with the different audio streams: Japanese/English?
To the best of my knowledge, Miyazaki’s DVDs always have Angle 1 for Japanese and Angle 2 for English.

Note: I did a cheat sheet on this DVD last year. Read here on my pre-processing before I used DVD Shrink in full disk mode. I kept the menus instead of doing a movie-only backup.

Last edited by 2COOL; 8th June 2004 at 09:56.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2004, 13:53   #3  |  Link
Lagoon

AFAIK I think only the lips movements are different.
Lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 02:35   #4  |  Link
Rzwen

Oh wow, I guess there is a purpose to two angles. Hmm. This means I'll have to redo my backup. Thanks for the cheat sheet! I'll try that.. even though it seems really complicated.

--EDIT--
I just realized that your guide strips out the English stream. I'd like to keep both streams if possible. Is there a way to compress the movie onto one DVD and keep both streams? And still have flawless lip synching?

Last edited by Rzwen; 9th June 2004 at 02:41.
Old 9th June 2004, 06:02   #5  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Rzwen
I just realized that your guide strips out the English stream.
Stripping out the English stream? Why would I want to do that? I can't understand Japanese so in step 21, I stripped everything that wasn't English.

Ooops! I had a beer while I was typing this!

Last edited by 2COOL; 9th June 2004 at 19:07.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 17:53   #6  |  Link
windtrader

Quote:
21. Stripping Out Angle 1 and Japanese Audio

Stripping out the English stream? Why would I want to do that? I can't understand Japanese so in step 21, I stripped everything that wasn't Japanese.
Now, I'm confused. It looks like the directions keep the English audio and subs.

I can't understand Japanese either but why would anyone strip out the Japanese audio and use the English track instead? Subtitles are used to translate the spoken portions of the original audio track into the viewer's native tongue. Replacing the original voice track is like going to the art museum wearing rose colored glasses.

This practice makes ripping DVD look like sandbox play.

Ah - Answer to the first question - seeing impared Americans.
windtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2004, 19:10   #7  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by windtrader
Now, I'm confused. It looks like the directions keep the English audio and subs.
I guess I made the confusion a lot more confusing and therefore cause more confusion for others.

For the record, my cheat sheet n question is only keeping English streams.
Old 10th June 2004, 07:16   #8  |  Link
Rzwen

When I watch anime, I like to preserve the original voices. I hate listening to english dubbed animes, and usually will only watch anime in original japanese with subtitles. Especially anime series, when the dubbed voices come from a random bum on the street. But having the english dubbed stream there is always convenient, because when I watch with the family, it's better to have english audio.
Old 11th June 2004, 23:15   #9  |  Link
mrbass

maybe I'm thinking of a different anime title...but on R2 (bought it from Hong Kong) of Spirited Away angle 2 has the audio streams the same but instead of showing the movie it shows the artwork/storyboard.