Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2007, 14:41   #1  |  Link
WalterK

Help joining Quicktime movie files in Linux

So i have several quicktime movie files from the net but rather than play the one at a time i wanted to join into one complete quicktime mov file.

However i can't find a way where it turns out correct like if you used say avisynth or quicktime pro to join.

First i tried the "cat" cmd but while it joined it only played the first file.
Second i tried using mencoder with
Quote:
mencoder -forceidx -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=96 -o joined.mov file1.mov file2.mov
The reason i use mp3lame was because mencoder couldn't handle the audio codec using just plain -oac copy, so it was a choice between -oac mp3lame or -oac pcm (which resulted in a larger file).
Well it joined correctly and the whole file is playable unfortunately now the file is not seekable it plays like an online stream removing -forceidx or using -noidx doesn't work either.
Does anyone know of a way to make the joined file seekable without converting to another format?
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2007, 15:44   #2  |  Link
nm

Actually you are converting to a different container format with that command line: the output file is AVI, not MOV. Use -of lavf -lavfopts format=mov to output MOV. However, I doubt that works well enough.

To fix the seeking problem, I think you must re-encode the video or perhaps mux the streams to the same file with a good muxer. That could work with mkvmerge when using Matroska as a container, or perhaps with MP4Box for MP4. I don't know Quicktime tools well enough to recommend anything for writing MOV output.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote