Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th September 2012, 08:20   #14241  |  Link
Mikey2

Hey madshi, thanks a lot for the update!

I know all of us mean well here and are just trying to contribute to the best renderer out there. But the responses overall seem relatively negative. For me, it is working just fine. In fact, I am seeing less frame-drops, faster rendering times, and a "cleaner" feel in Exclusive mode. (If that makes any sense...) ...Thank you!

Again, I know everyone with problems is just trying to make the product better, so I am not knocking anyone, I just wanted to simply give thanks to a solid (and much awaited-for!) release!

MikeY

PS - I apologize if I missed this, but can you please explain "activate anti-ringing filter." It sounds good, but what does it really do, what are its drawbacks, and in which scenarios should it be used? I am currently using SoftCubic 100 Chroma and 3-Tap Spline Luma upscaling. Should I select that new checkbox in each of these pages? Thanks again!
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 08:54   #14242  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
One thing I've noticed completely randomly, when you right click repeatedly a few times(it usually take 3) in FSE mode, MPC-HC will lose focus to madVR(I think at least, the message is: "Focus lost to: mpc-hc.exe - madVR") and exit fullscreen to go to windowed mode.
Not sure why that happens. madVR does not demand focus at any time. I guess it's a Windows thing, resulting in creation and destruction of context menus somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
anyone got a clue about amd graphic drivers? with my laptop which has a radeon 4850 it doesnt work to put 1080p23 in the madVR field to autochange resolution. my TV (connected via HDMI and extended desktop) stays at 60Hz then. 1080p24 works, but I still get ~1 dropped frame every 1-2 minutes then.

with another laptop which has switchable graphics (intel HD and radeon 7670m) entering 1080p23 works, the TV automatically switches to 24Hz mode then (its tiny bit different than those 24Hz I get with 1080p24) and I also dont get any dropped frames any more. has this anything to do with the different graphic drivers, one time the "normal" ones and another time those mixed ones for Intel HD and the radeon card? (though for the radeon card, in both cases they are (based on) v12.6). in case of the other laptop, I can set 23Hz manually in the Intel HD graphic settings, while there doesnt seem to be any option in the regular CCC "my flat panels" tab for 23Hz, only 1080p 24Hz.
I don't know. I don't even know which GPU is doing the actual sending to the TV in such a mixed environment. What does the madVR debug OSD say about the measured refresh rate in either case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Arg madshi, It seems a small bug has creeped in.
Very often now, I get an error when I open a new video while one is already playing:

The first video closes OK, then error message above and the 2nd video never opens. (i must close ZP manually)

A log is here: http://videoff7.free.fr/madVRTSR_log.zip
Argh. I had this on my PC, too, once or twice. But then when I tried to reproduce it, it didn't occur, anymore at all. Can you please try this with this ZP special build:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/104094858/zplayer_madExcept2.rar

If the same crash occurs, you should be able to create a crash report now. When the crash box appears, simply press "Ctrl+C" to copy the crash report to the clipboard, then upload it somewhere. It might help to reproduce this crash maybe 3x and upload 3 crash reports, just in case. The one and only time I managed to do that on my own PC with ZP, the crash report wasn't too helpful, that's why I'm asking for 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
If I start video playback in windowed mode and then change to fullscreen (fullscreen windowed mode in MadVR that is), if I switch video files the picture drops out of full-screen view and back to windowed. But only on the first video change. If I change video clips after that (with the next/prev keys for the media player) the picture stays full screen. This only occurs with Full Screen Exclusive mode turned off. With FSE mode enabled I get a flash of the beginning of the previous file instead.

I'm seeing this now with the current version of MadVR (0.83.6), but it has been happening for a little while now. I recorded two videos of me playing through a folder of music video files skipping and jumping in/out of fullscreen mode frequently. You can see that when I change from a windowed mode to full screen and then change clips (the video player OSD pops up when I do) on the first clip change after going full screen you see a brief flash of the player's window interface. This effects more than one player.

This first clip is using MadVR 0.82.5 on Zoom Player 8.5RC1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhXyV3uE3w

This second clip was made a couple nights ago. Using MadVR 0.83.4 on MPC-HC 1.6.3.5818:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrWW8KaLieI

I can't recall when this first showed up, but since it's present in 0.82.5 I guess it was the 0.82 branch somewhere.

Edit: I did want to say that the problem disappeared in 0.83.1, but that's also when files started having a long black-screen delay between changes. But the problem reappeared in 0.83.4.
Thanks for those videos. To be honest, I'm not fully sure how to interpret them, though. E.g. looking at the MPC-HC video, it appears to me that the first 2 switches to another video file work fine without any problems and only on the 3rd MPC-HC goes back to windowed, and then later it goes back to windowed another time. That doesn't fit to the text description you gave above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12 View Post
Seeing the same thing with 0.83.6. Go back to 0.82.5 and all is well.

Get 1-2-3 moves and then frame drops and stuttering. Tried quite a few files and always began causing dropped frames on the 3rd move ...

OSD screen shots for several files can be found here. They are at the point that dropped frames begin as you asked for. Once it starts it only gets worse over time.

http://sdrv.ms/UPOJRZ
Thanks for the screenshots. Looks like the rendering queue is the problem. Which means that for some reason GPU rendering isn't fast enough. Can you please check whether the same problem occurs in fullscreen exclusive mode, too? And it would be very helpful if you could create a debug log which covers these frame drops. You can do that by double clicking on "activate debug mode.bat" in the madVR folder. Afterwards start playback and reproduce the frame drops, then stop the media player. On your desktop you'll find a file named "madVR - log.txt". Zip this up and upload it somewhere. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraves66 View Post
What's the string setting / path for 'enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer)'? Didn't notice it in the comments in mvrInterfaces.h.
Sorry, forgot to add that:

// enableOverlay, enable windowed overlay (Windows 7 and newer), boolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Same problem just happened in 0.83.6. Messed around with it a bit in that bugged state, and discovered that reducing the number of backbuffers to 1 or 2 made it act somewhat normally, 3 or above (normally I have it set to 4) and the backbuffer queue would refuse to fill at all with contanst dropped frames and playback which looks like 1fps. Otherwise, the problem remains until MPC-HC is exited.

Here is a debug log:
http://www.mediafire.com/?jk5o1ke6kgb0xoe

It seems like it may be triggered by activating subtitles in MKV with Haali + VSFilter via context menu which exits and re-enters FSE.
Hmmmm... According to the debug log, it's not really the backbuffers which are the problem. The problem is that sometimes the VSync thread (which in windowed mode also does the presentation) doesn't get CPU time for looong periods of time. E.g. the one frame drop I just looked at occurred because the VSync thread didn't get CPU time for 111ms. As a result frames had to be dropped. And when frames have to be dropped in windowed mode, the backbuffer queue is cleared and refilled. That's why it looked like the backbuffer queue were the problem, but it's not. I don't kow why the VSync thread sometimes doesn't get CPU time. The thread is running at THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL!!!

Is this a new problem with recent madVR builds? Which exact build introduced this problem? Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
Could you please try opening a still image in fullscreen mode? Then move your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen and bring it back. If you don't see any freeze or crash, then probably something is wrong with my setup.
Ok, thanks, this way I was able to reproduce a problem. Basically the image source reports a runtime of zero, and when trying to show the fullscreen exclusive seekbar I divided by the runtime, so there was a division by zero crash. Should be fixed in the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
I know all of us mean well here and are just trying to contribute to the best renderer out there. But the responses overall seem relatively negative. For me, it is working just fine. In fact, I am seeing less frame-drops, faster rendering times, and a "cleaner" feel in Exclusive mode. (If that makes any sense...) ...Thank you!

Again, I know everyone with problems is just trying to make the product better, so I am not knocking anyone, I just wanted to simply give thanks to a solid (and much awaited-for!) release!
Thanks. Being flooded with bug reports all the time can be a bit frustrating. I'd so love to work on some new features. Fixing bugs takes a lot of time and is not very rewarding. In the same time I could probably have added 2-3 new features. But well, I guess bugs need to be fixed. We all want to have a polished and stable madVR, don't we? If at least most of the bugs were my fault. But instead I'm having to work around nasty driver and OS issues all the time which often are not even reproducable on my PC. That's the worst kinds of bugs to work on. It's the opposite of fun, really. And then I think I've fixed all bugs, and 10 new bug reports crop up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey2 View Post
PS - I apologize if I missed this, but can you please explain "activate anti-ringing filter." It sounds good, but what does it really do, what are its drawbacks, and in which scenarios should it be used? I am currently using SoftCubic 100 Chroma and 3-Tap Spline Luma upscaling. Should I select that new checkbox in each of these pages? Thanks again!
See here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1584857&postcount=13516
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 09:28   #14243  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Thanks for those videos. To be honest, I'm not fully sure how to interpret them, though. E.g. looking at the MPC-HC video, it appears to me that the first 2 switches to another video file work fine without any problems and only on the 3rd MPC-HC goes back to windowed, and then later it goes back to windowed another time. That doesn't fit to the text description you gave above?
0:09 First video opens (dancing silhouette) - 1024x768 vid size
0:11 Jump to fullscreen
0:13 First switch (to video with Carson Daly)

before he appears you can see the top/bottom of the MPC window clearly from the previous video (note: screen res is 1920x1200)

0:18 change to next clip (Boom Boom Satellites video)

You don't see the transition here because this is the second video change since going full screen. It's not effected.

0:25 exited full screen back to windowed (video is 1280x720, but 4:3 AR)
0:26 changed back to full screen
0:28 changed to next clip

here again you can see it. This is the first clip change since going back to full screen and the window frame appears briefly at the size of the exiting video before the next one starts even though we never left full screen mode.

0:29 next video starts (Boris - "Hope/Riot Sugar")
0:36 changed to next clip (Console - "My Dog Eats Beats")

No windows frame appearance because it's the second clip change since returning to full screen mode.

0:39 Jumped out of full screen mode (video is 320x240)
0:40 Jumped back to full screen mode
0:42 changed to next video (and we see the small MPC window frame from the 320x240 video as it changes).

and so on.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:39   #14244  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

The "jumped out of full screen mode", did you do that manually? I'm not sure why MPC-HC should do that. It doesn't seem to occur on my PC. For some reason I can't reproduce the problem here at all. But then I'm testing on XPSP3 again. Maybe it only occurs in newer OSs? FWIW, I've modified madVR destructing behaviour once again for the next build. Maybe that fixes the problem again, like v0.83.1 did?
Old 28th September 2012, 09:40   #14245  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.83.7 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: changing video files sometimes crashed
* fixed: showing exclusive mode seekbar for image viewing crashed
* madVR once again waits for D3D to be fully finalized
I hope that speed didn't suffer (much). If it did, let me know.
Old 28th September 2012, 09:52   #14246  |  Link
jokerb47

I have a problem with 83.6. When using internal decoder with everything by default except checked "delay playback start until render queue is full" and unchecked "exclusive mode", i get just freezing screen. When switching to CoreAVC, everything works. On 0.82.5 it was fine. Player KMPlayer.
jokerb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 09:56   #14247  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerb47 View Post
I have a problem with 83.6. When using internal decoder with everything by default except checked "delay playback start until render queue is full" and unchecked "exclusive mode", i get just freezing screen. When switching to CoreAVC, everything works. On 0.82.5 it was fine. Player KMPlayer.
Do you get the same problem with v0.83.7? If so, does pressing play/pause once or multiple times make playback start? Can you still use the KMPlayer GUI? Or do you have to use the task manager to terminate KMPlayer in this situation?
Old 28th September 2012, 10:06   #14248  |  Link
nx6

Quote:
The "jumped out of full screen mode", did you do that manually?
If you're referring to this line:
0:39 Jumped out of full screen mode (video is 320x240)

Yes, I'm doing that on purpose.

To reproduce this issue, you have to be in windowed mode at some point during the first clip's playback. Then, when you change to the second clip, we get the flash of the player window in windowed mode, even though we should be seamlessly moving from one clip to the next.

This doesn't happen in subsequent video changes if you stay on full screen mode the whole time. There was a place a bit later in that video where I changed clips three times I think and nothing wrong happened. Because I just went straight from clip to clip. I jump out of full screen mode manually on purpose, because it's required to recreate the issue.

On the Zoom Player video I was just using alt-enter to jump in and out of full screen mode and the left/right arrow keys are mapped to next/prev video. In the MPC-HC video I used my remote to do the same thing, but it's just simulating the keyboard shortcuts as well.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:17   #14249  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Ok, so does the same problem still occur with v0.83.7? I don't seem to be able to reproduce it on my XPSP3 dev PC. And the problem does *not* occur with any other renderer?
Old 28th September 2012, 10:29   #14250  |  Link
andybkma

Quote:
madVR v0.83.7 released

* madVR once again waits for D3D to be fully finalized
I hope that speed didn't suffer (much). If it did, let me know.
Closing file speed seems to be working for me at same speed as 83.6 which is a good thing :-)
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 10:29   #14251  |  Link
nx6

Quote:
Ok, so does the same problem still occur with v0.83.7? I don't seem to be able to reproduce it on my XPSP3 dev PC. And the problem does *not* occur with any other renderer?
Yes. Still happening with newest version.

Also tried (regular) EVR and Haali's renderer just now. Issue not appearing on them.

I think this is related to the thing where if FSE mode is ON you get the flash of the beginning of the previous file before the next one starts since it also only effects the first change in video after going from windowed to full screen.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:52   #14252  |  Link
jokerb47

Quote:
Do you get the same problem with v0.83.7? If so, does pressing play/pause once or multiple times make playback start? Can you still use the KMPlayer GUI? Or do you have to use the task manager to terminate KMPlayer in this situation?
With 83.7 the same problem. Play/pause doesn't help. But seeking displays first frame and video won't start. Player GUI works and terminates ok.
I looked at Ctrl-J. It seems that by seeking, decoder and upload queue fills up, but render and backbuffer queue don't(0-8/8 and 0-3/3). As I understand.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:54   #14253  |  Link
nx6

Quote:
Ok, so does the same problem still occur with v0.83.7?
I have tracked the version to something that changed between 0.81 and 0.82.1
Old 28th September 2012, 11:37   #14254  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Closing file speed seems to be working for me at same speed as 83.6 which is a good thing :-)
Good to know! Was afraid it might be slower again, due to waiting for D3D finalization. Glad to hear it didn't harm.

Quote:
With 83.7 the same problem. Play/pause doesn't help. But seeking displays first frame and video won't start. Player GUI works and terminates ok.
I looked at Ctrl-J. It seems that by seeking, decoder and upload queue fills up, but render and backbuffer queue don't(0-8/8 and 0-3/3). As I understand.
Does this occur only with some specific video files or with all? Could you please create a debug log for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx6 View Post
I have tracked the version to something that changed between 0.81 and 0.82.1
Interesting. I don't see much in the source code changes between those 2 version that would explain the problem. Anyway. Do you have Aero on or off? Have you configured madVR to switch Aero off in fullscreen? How about the display mode changer? Is it activated? And maybe turned on to switch display modes when you enter fullscreen? Trying to figure out how to reproduce the problem here, because right now I don't seem to be able to...
Old 28th September 2012, 12:33   #14255  |  Link
jokerb47

Quote:
Does this occur only with some specific video files or with all? Could you please create a debug log for me?
I tested on about 10 videos - problem remains. But it turned out that it is KMPLayer related, because in PotPlayer everything works with same MadVr settings(same videos). how create debug log?
But same version of KMPlayer worked fine with "delay playback start" of 82.5...

debug report: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cfqoyh

Last edited by jokerb47; 28th September 2012 at 13:10. Reason: adding debug report
Old 28th September 2012, 14:21   #14256  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
I tested on about 10 videos - problem remains. But it turned out that it is KMPLayer related, because in PotPlayer everything works with same MadVr settings(same videos). how create debug log?
But same version of KMPlayer worked fine with "delay playback start" of 82.5...

debug report: http://www.sendspace.com/file/cfqoyh
Aaaaaaah, I see. The problem is relatively simple:

When using e.g. CoreAVC for decoding, KMPlayer creates an instance of CoreAVC for decoding and an instance of madVR for rendering and connects them. This works just fine.

When configuring KMPlayer to use a madVR decoder, KMPlayer creates an instance of madVR for decoding and an instance of madVR for rendering and tries to connect them. Connecting doesn't work, but KMPlayer doesn't care. So basically in this situation KMPlayer has two instance of madVR running at the same time. This seems to work just fine by itself. One madVR instance seems to be sitting idle while the other is doing all the work. Unfortunately the one which is sitting idle is intercepting the "run playback" events and blocking them because the queues of the idle madVR instance are not full (and never will be). The other madVR instance which is really doing all the work never gets the "run playback" events. Because of that playback never starts.

Edit: Found an easy way to fix that in madVR. Will be fixed in the next build.

Last edited by madshi; 28th September 2012 at 14:27.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:01   #14257  |  Link
meetajhu

Hi Madshi, "Windowed Overlay mode" is not applying monitor color profile during Window mode. But works in fullscreen(exclusive). Also my Spyder is not able to apply the color profiles when in Window mode only to the video!
meetajhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 16:03   #14258  |  Link
vomanci

Hi, since v0.83 (all versions), with PotPlayer and any video file, using FSE works until moving the mouse to see the seekbar, in wich case it switches to windowed mode. Also the "wait 3 sec..." for FSE doesn't work, it enters directly. One other thing i have since v82.5 is an image freeze (sound plays) when trying to use FSE, when switching the player from windowed to fullscreen (like 1 out of 5 tries). Only ctrl+alt+del on PotPlayer works. But makes me think it's hardware related . I have an 8800gt, win 7 and AMD AthlonII-240. I have no errors popping up.
Thank you.
vomanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 17:04   #14259  |  Link
jokerb47

madshi, glad to hear that! Will be waiting..
Old 28th September 2012, 17:11   #14260  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomanci View Post
Hi, since v0.83 (all versions), with PotPlayer and any video file, using FSE works until moving the mouse to see the seekbar, in wich case it switches to windowed mode. Also the "wait 3 sec..." for FSE doesn't work, it enters directly. One other thing i have since v82.5 is an image freeze (sound plays) when trying to use FSE, when switching the player from windowed to fullscreen (like 1 out of 5 tries). Only ctrl+alt+del on PotPlayer works. But makes me think it's hardware related . I have an 8800gt, win 7 and AMD AthlonII-240. I have no errors popping up.
Thank you.
You should try to provide a log file.
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling