Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 14th March 2011, 02:33   #5981  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Alpha View Post
What is madVR doing that makes pagefile writes take off? Just got and SSD and was wondering if I'm making enough writes to the pagefile to make it worth moving it off the SSD. So I fired up Process Monitor, and made a long capture.

During normal desktop usage the pagefile writes were areound 5MB/h, but when watching something with MPC-HC and madVR the pagefile writes increase to over 3GB/h. This does not happen with EVR.

3GB per hour is quite a lot of writes. What is madVR doing?
Could you tell me briefly how to check this? I have an SSD as well but I don't think madVR is doing that on my setup.
Old 14th March 2011, 10:30   #5982  |  Link
bjd

Code:
D3D9 Surface speed test:
NV12: upload 458 fps, download 27 fps, trick download failed
YV12: upload 278 fps, download 26 fps, trick download failed
Do the figures above indicate NV12 gives better/faster performance than YV12 ?
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 10:50   #5983  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

If you upload to NV12/YV12 surfaces then yes, it appears so. But that's not how madVR works at the moment. It doesn't matter to madVR whether you feed madVR with NV12 or YV12. Zero difference in performance.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 11:18   #5984  |  Link
bjd

@Madhsi - thanks for that, it is quite interesting.

On another note regarding my delayed frames on XP, the card is maxed at 100% performance and was still dropping/delaying frames after running a while, however i have managed to stop this by configuring the NVidia 3D settings to "Let the 3D application decide".

It would seem the more things you leave to the card driver to decide, the more things go wrong.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:29   #5985  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Maybe if you force anisotropic filtering or antialiasing that could also affect madVR. It could cost performance, and it could also hurt image quality.
Old 14th March 2011, 11:57   #5986  |  Link
bjd

I don't tend to force anything and previously just left the 3D settings as the default NVidia setup, but this caused playback problems after about an hour.

Playback performance is better if I let the 3D application decide and constant reboots are not necessary. I don't think my particular situation is helped by using an NForce 630a motherboard which has very poor NVidia driver support/compatibility.

The main thing is playback is now sorted and I can enjoy superior PQ
Old 14th March 2011, 12:14   #5987  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Does your GPU support CUDA? If so, you can get newest drivers by using the CUDA development drivers which seem to support all GPUs that can do CUDA. I was able to update to 270.32 drivers this way with my NVidia 9400 integrated mainboard.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:17   #5988  |  Link
bjd

Yes it is a 2gb GT430 and has 96 CUDA cores. I am currently running the XP 267.24 BETA drivers purely because I was having issues with 266.58 WHQL and thought things might be sorted with newer drivers.

When I get home tonight, I will PM you the madNV12Test results, I have 7600GS on Win7 32bit at work for which I have sent you results.

270.32 drivers on download now thx.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:55   #5989  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Maybe if you force anisotropic filtering or antialiasing that could also affect madVR. It could cost performance, and it could also hurt image quality.
would it be possible to create a kind of instruction for ati catalyst and nvidia forceware settings which are recommended to be (de)activated for madvr in terms to reach best quality (and performance)? because I havent much a clue which settings could hurt here.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 14:01   #5990  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
would it be possible to create a kind of instruction for ati catalyst and nvidia forceware settings which are recommended to be (de)activated for madvr in terms to reach best quality (and performance)? because I havent much a clue which settings could hurt here.
I think the application can decide what settings to use for anisotropic filter / antialiasing etc but then the nvidia / ati control panel have the ability to override the applications settings which may be the case if a user sets a global preference, (like in my case 16X anisotropic filtering, 4XAA).

All I can think of is if madVR could set the preferred settings, and then after the 3d device / surface is created, check to see if its settings match what madVR asked for (ie if the drivers are forcing anything other than that or not) and perhaps provide some sort of warning, or info in the ctrl-j stats that settings seem to be getting forced by the drivers? At least then the user could know to go and create a custom profile for the app, say mpc-hc, to take settings from the app rather than forcing specific settings itself.. Just a thought...

Last edited by mark0077; 14th March 2011 at 14:05.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 14:14   #5991  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

It's very simple: Set all options to "let the application decide". That should do the trick.
Old 14th March 2011, 14:15   #5992  |  Link
namaiki

Weird thing is that I'm pretty sure that is the default setting in the first place.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 14:18   #5993  |  Link
mark0077

Thing is, for people with some of the higher powered gfx cards at least, many like myself are used to setting a global setting like, 16 anisotropic, 4xaa or higher as I said. I'm just thinking alot of those users, when they use madVR might not cop on to the fact that this might negatively effect madVR (I assume it does..)... me included until I read the last few posts When madvr creates the 3d device, does it always just get the device in return or is it easy for madVR to know if it got exactly what it asked for, or some variation of it with forced settings like we speak about. I assume it would have to be a manual check on madVR's part if it was to do this check. If its not alot of work, and will improve quality / performance having specific settings, it might be a future improvement for madVR to perform this check and inform the user somehow?

Last edited by mark0077; 14th March 2011 at 14:38.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:13   #5994  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It's very simple: Set all options to "let the application decide". That should do the trick.
but sometimes I also play older games like wc3 and in game, I cannot set options like aliasing and such. therefore, Id like to have as much enabled as default as possible, with the expections of those settings which should better be disabled for madvr. whichever these should be.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 15:18   #5995  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Well, what can I say. I don't know which settings affect madVR and which not. And I don't have the time to find out. But it's easy enough to find out for anyone who wants to know: Just compare the madVR performance (e.g. windowed mode rendering times, dropped frames etc) with various settings set to either "let the application decide" or to "forced enabled". Also you could take screenshots to check whether forcing any options results in a hit in image quality. If you turn off dithering in the madVR settings, screenshots should be bit-for-bit identical. If they're not, then obviously forcing some settings on via GPU control panel harms image quality.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:23   #5996  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Razoola. That nvidia cp option never has any effect on my pc. I'm not sure what it does but for me I need that registry tweak to get full range with samsung series 9 - gtx295 - win 7 64 bit
Have you tried it recently. It never used to work for me either but it does now.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 16:28   #5997  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Have you tried it recently. It never used to work for me either but it does now.
Will give it a go this evening, along with some tests on some files that are causing me issues, which I think revolves around timestamps. Will report back on both in a few hours.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:49   #5998  |  Link
Snowknight26

madNV12Test seems to exit instantly after pressing OK on this GMA 3150.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 18:03   #5999  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
madNV12Test seems to exit instantly after pressing OK on this GMA 3150.
Does madVR even open on the GMA 3150? It doesn't work on the GMA 950 which is based on the same graphics core.

Last edited by namaiki; 15th March 2011 at 05:45.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 20:29   #6000  |  Link
mark0077

madshi, one of the mp4 files I'm having issues with frame drops seems to have this issue according to mkvmerge when I was trying to make an mkv from it. No remuxing so far has allowed me to get it to play without evr-cp showing jittery graphs, or madVR dropping frames. ffdshow says its 23.974fps, my display is about 23.962hz~ (nvidia).

"The AVC video track is missing the 'CTTS' atom for frame timecode offsets. However, AVC/h.264 allows frames to have more than the traditional one (for P frames) or two (for B frames) references to other frames. The timecodes for such frames will be out-of-order, and the 'CTTS' atom is needed for getting the timecodes right. As it is missing the timecodes for this track might be wrong. You should watch the resulting file and make sure that it looks like you expected it to."

I assume this is why the frames / timecodes arn't evenly spaced, hence the jittery graphs I get with evr-cp and the fairly frequent frame drops with madVR (maybe 1 every 20 seconds). Do you think this is something you can workaround with the renderer? I can post a link to the file in question if you're interested...

Razoola, I have just clean installed nvidia 267.24 drivers, and of course got the grey / washed out desktop. After changing the option in the control panel you speak of to "Full-screen videos" or "Desktop programs" I get no change at all. I assume this is something being sent to the display.. which my TV at least is ignoring. I have my tv set to display full range, so maybe some tv's have an auto setting also which would "listen" to nvidias output. Not mine anyways. I have to revert to the inf mod

Last edited by mark0077; 14th March 2011 at 20:37.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling