Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st April 2010, 03:51   #1  |  Link
videophool

Avisynth With VC-2008

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but has avisynth been ported to VC-2008? I am really not excited about writing new plugins using VC-98. Thanks, Phool
videophool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 13:59   #2  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by videophool View Post
Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but has avisynth been ported to VC-2008? I am really not excited about writing new plugins using VC-98. Thanks, Phool
You can certainly make plugins with VC-2008, but what does that have to do with building Avisynth itself?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 15:16   #3  |  Link
videophool

OK, the problem is bigger than plugin development. I prefer not to use a 10-year old dev environment, and am not sure where to find a 7+ year old MSDN, and work with a crappy debugger. I was hoping that somebody had moved this project forward a few years.
Old 1st April 2010, 16:11   #4  |  Link

If you search you will find discussions about that and you'll see the technical reasons for things.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:58   #5  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but has avisynth been ported to VC-2008?
AviSynth v2.6 can be compiled by VC-2005. Dunno about VC-2008.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 19:03   #6  |  Link
videophool

A few years ago, I started to port, and got stuck with the asm part. I think the rest of the code would move easily, would it not? No doubt porting would be a challenge, but it is doable, and AviSynth is being used by too many people to be stuck in the 20th century.
Old 1st April 2010, 19:04   #7  |  Link
videophool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbert View Post
AviSynth v2.6 can be compiled by VC-2005. Dunno about VC-2008.

if it can compile with 2005, it can compile w/2008. I will look into it. Thanks. Phool
Old 1st April 2010, 21:09   #8  |  Link
videophool

What is the status of Avisynth 3.0?

is it usable?
Old 1st April 2010, 21:11   #9  |  Link

She's dead, Jim.
Old 1st April 2010, 21:28   #10  |  Link
osgZach

It was such a shame, but not surprising. A pretty big project to undertake.

I was thinking about it yesterday.. As I know Avisynth relies on VFW (I think?), I wonder if it were possible to port something like that to and Avisynth to .NET/MONO ?

That's the only realistic way I could see it happening, but I'm guessing that'd be more difficult than rewriting Avisynth alone to use a different "backend" (like they seemed to be doing) or whatever you call VFW type things...

Ah well
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 21:46   #11  |  Link
videophool

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
She's dead, Jim.
Is there any alternative to avisynth? I know that Avisynth is powerful, but relying on SW that is bound to 10-year old compiler is not a way to start building a new project.
Old 1st April 2010, 21:53   #12  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
That's the only realistic way I could see it happening, but I'm guessing that'd be more difficult than rewriting Avisynth alone to use a different "backend" (like they seemed to be doing) or whatever you call VFW type things...
It seems to me that the easiest is to use ffmpegsource as "backend" (or gstreamersource which was working once under avs3).
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:43   #13  |  Link
osgZach

Have to admit I am unfamiliar with ffmpegsource, or pros/cons vs FFdshow/VFW. have never really used it.

I am aware of Gstreamer, although some more knowledgeable people have expressed less than impressed opinions.. But if ffmpegsource works on Win32/Linux then yes that would be a sensible solution as well.

I think there are a lot of opportunities with .NET/MONO compatability for the future. Sure there are some caveats, but surely easier than rewriting the whole thing cross-platform from scratch?
osgZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:01   #14  |  Link
JoshyD

I'm positive Avisynth compiles with VC2008's compiler. I've compiled and used my own builds with MSVS2008's compiler and with ICC 11. There's two idiosyncrasies with the straight up 2.58 source, for loop conformance, and if building with the Win7SDK the GUID's for KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_PCM and KSDATAFORMAT_SUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT are already defined, so the compiler complains when they're defined in main.cpp.

As for 2.6. for loop conformance is maintained, but the GUID thing still comes up. Comment out the lines and you get a working binary. You can compile and use 2.6 with VS2008, the Win7SDK, and ICC11.

VS2008 will still compile the inline asm as long as it's a 32bit dll you're after, otherwise, ICC11 will compile the inline asm 64bit, or have fun writing your own asm. (I have a 64bit port of Avisynth 2.58 hacked with my support here.)

Anyhow, the code isn't tied to old compilers, at least in my experience.

Last edited by JoshyD; 2nd April 2010 at 01:49.
JoshyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 01:23   #15  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgZach View Post
Have to admit I am unfamiliar with ffmpegsource, or pros/cons vs FFdshow/VFW. have never really used it.
pros:
- no funny VFW restrictions
- no reliance on windows-only API's, compiles and works fine on most unix systems
- support for most common formats out of the box, no systemwide codec installation required
- very simple API
- frame- and sample-accurate seeking (bugs aside)

cons:
- bad support for formats ffmpeg has bad support for (mostly mpeg ts/ps and ogg)
- requires indexing files before opening
- cannot easily be extended with support for arbitrary odd proprietary codecs the way dshow can
- no support for arbitrary funky filter chains ala dshow (and gstreamer)
- bugs
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote