Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 7th January 2017, 16:02   #1  |  Link
apeg

StaxRip - 2 pass h.265, fixed bitrate?

I think my confusion comes from a lack of understanding.

I'm under the impression 2 pass does a once over on the to-be encoded file to figure out where the high action and low movement scenes are to apply a veritable bit rate?

But if that's the case, how come when 2 pass is selected an option for a fixed bitrate shows up?

In a nut shell i'm trying to figure out how to batch encode into h.265 but not disregard the original file size (or bitrate). For instance i have a 1h program that is h.264 (~2GB) high action and a h.264 (~1GB) low action.

How do i best batch encode to a ~30% reduction?

also does anyone have any insight on the advantages of 3 pass? on the encoding tests I've done its seems to have a VERY slight improvement over 2 pass @ the same file size.

Thanks,
apeg
apeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 16:08   #2  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Usually you choose the average bitrate with 2pass. If you want 30% reduction choose 30% less bitrate than the original file used (see MediaInfo of original file). Plus maybe some percent more to account for audio and container overhead bitrate. I don't know if there's a way to automate this in StaxRip.

3 pass is overkill. If you have time to waste it's better to invest it an a slower preset.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 02:21   #3  |  Link
apeg

ahh it represents the average bitrate... that makes more sense.

thanks sneaker, ya i cant seem to figure out how to automate a percentage based target. I may have to live with fixed size and have the high & low actions videos meet somewhere in the middle.

Cheers,
apeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2017, 19:18   #4  |  Link
stax76

something this special can only be done via scripting

at tools > advanced > event commands you can create a event command using the event 'After Source Loaded' and execute the command ExecuteCSharpScript using following code:

Code:
using System;
using static StaxRip.ShortcutModule;
var bitrate = Int32.Parse(MediaInfo.GetVideo(
    p.LastOriginalSourceFile, "BitRate")) / 1000;
g.MainForm.tbBitrate.Text = ((int)(bitrate * 0.7)).ToString();
or if you want to save the script in a file you can save it in an csx file and use the action ExecuteScriptFile
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote